Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm playing it right now for the first time and it is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
If you forget all about who made it and what was originally promised, ignore the character system full of trap options saved only by the combat being insultingly easy, overlook the glaringly obvious missing content, skim over all of the gracelessly shoehorned in references to PS:T, and manage to pick the game up at a 50+% discount and pretend that it was the first game by a rookie rpg studio then yes, I can see how you might think “hmm, that wasn’t a bad effort”.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Taear posted:

I'm almost sure the seventh slot was summons only in the original cassette of the game, or at least on the Amstrad version. There's no way I wouldn't have made a seventh character if it let me.

Here's a list of all changes in the remaster:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1492900036

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DoctorTristan posted:

If you forget all about who made it and what was originally promised, ignore the character system full of trap options saved only by the combat being insultingly easy, overlook the glaringly obvious missing content, skim over all of the gracelessly shoehorned in references to PS:T, and manage to pick the game up at a 50+% discount and pretend that it was the first game by a rookie rpg studio then yes, I can see how you might think “hmm, that wasn’t a bad effort”.

I really hated this part most. You're supposed to be a spiritual successor not a reference blob!!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's actually really good. Not perfect, but really good, and it would have been much better received if it wasn't in the shadow of Torment in the first place (but of course, the project wouldn't have been greenlit without piggybacking on that name so... chicken and egg).

Even the combat is... more complicated than people give it credit for. Or rather, the conflict system I should say. Because yes, a lot of encounter feels simplistic and you don't have a lot of interesting character options, plus the interface is surprisingly difficult to read for a turn-based game. But there are also a ton of non-violent bespoke actions you can take in climatic encounters in the game, and some encounters are essentially structured as turn-based puzzles (hell, there's even a sci-fi heist mission played in the turn-based combat interface!)

Man, I know the game has problems, but it makes me sad to see it treated as a punching bag online. I actually really enjoyed myself with it and would pretty easily recommend it to people who are into isometric RPGs.

I think this is the first time I have ever witnessed anyone go to the bat for Numenera as much as you have. I absolutely agree with you that it is much better than people seem to give it credit for and I really enjoyed the efforts to make a non-combat viable solution to actual combat encounters. They looked at Planescape Torment and correctly realised the combat was dogshit and hinders the rest of the game, but really couldn't strip it out entirely. The actual setting of Numenera is quite interesting too and I am saddened that the poor performance and reception has probably torpedoed any chance of more games in the setting.

DoctorTristan posted:

But then I also agree 100 % with this. I cannot believe how brazenly they tried to pass off delaying this game for years and then deliver what seems to be approximately 30 % of the actual game planned. Nixing the Oasis to a single screen was really disappointing. The whole story just peters out as it gets interesting in the Bloom. When I was playing it I realised I was getting close to the end because every time I booted the game up the list of Steam Achievements was getting lower and lower, but I remember the ending still hitting me by surprise. "Is that it"?

The hilarious thing is that it seems like while intending to make this spiritual sequel and pay glorious homage to Planescape, they ended up replicating a lacklustre commercial success, terrible combat encounters and a bunch of cut content. It still bums me out that it didn't deliver even 75 % because parts of the game really do hint that they could have done it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I do think they could have ditched combat entirely. Like there's this section where you have to sneak into the back of a place while an npc gives a lecture - even though no fighting happens you still have to do it via the combat interface so you just spend several turns slowly making it across the map or waiting for npcs to move.

Setting wise, the titular numenera being hyped up as these cool artifacts of another age, but then they are basically just combat only stim packs & grenades was also kind of lame.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raygereio posted:

Obsidian never even asked WotC. They just assumed that WotC wouldn't allow something like that.
I'm pretty sure WotC never destroyed it though. As far as I recall, it was simply never mentioned in the 4e source books. And with 5e it's back in.

The story I heard was that they never bothered asking, but a WotC rep later said "yeah, we wouldn't have had a problem with it. They could've done whatever they wanted."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only turn-based combat in CRPGs I can stomach is anything that rips off XCOM (not X-Com). I do not want to go back to those old Fallout days where a shootout lets loose in the boneyard, and every gunner and their grandmother slowly take their turn.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think WotC ever commented about the MotB ending. I think it's just something that when 4th edition came out, Obsidian realized they might have pushed for.

But that said, I figure it was still far from a done deal and with the D&D people so preoccupied with the launch of a new edition, I doubt they wanted to spend much time supervising the project's ending plans and making them fit with their splatbook writing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't care that much about the combat in Numenera. They've failed in what was supposed to be their greatest feat - the writing. It's uninspiring, it's boring. They throw words into descriptions and get you into weird fiction mood but it gets old very fast. And it suits the setting. The setting is about being so far in the future of technology indistinguishable from magic so that it's not about subverting fantasy, it's about having everything. Thus the feeling of eternal inconsistency. Behind every corner you can see an ancient artifact that denies attempts to rationalize and comprehend itself - but you still have a dumb 1-store city with people behaving as if they're in late middle ages. OK, let's say they wanted this contradiction - but then you find a vorpal sword that cuts through reality when you use it... and it's manifested through it doing +2 metaphysical damage. Later in the game you meet homeless guys with sticks who deal more damage. And while we're talking about the balance - 3 mana thing looks cool at the beginning but in a few hours you get infinite free rest, there's only 1 quest that depends on time - and later your skills are so high you can solve any problem even without reliance on mana and even if you have a useless child for a companion.

Again, it does not subvert fantasy the way Planescape does. It diminishes fantasy, it turns it into amateur "anything goes" narrative. And they lacked any sense of balance so you get a page-long description of anything at all, and in some quests you really do have to talk to people about everything. It's boring and it tries to evoke a sense of wonder with a wall of long words and +1 to speed in your stats. PoE2 looks more like a Planescape successor with its choice of factions with specific philosophies, travelling through portals, communing with gods and looking into souls.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only turn-based combat in CRPGs I can stomach is anything that rips off XCOM (not X-Com). I do not want to go back to those old Fallout days where a shootout lets loose in the boneyard, and every gunner and their grandmother slowly take their turn.

I feel like RTwP is very slowly and also dizzyingly fast sometimes. Turn-based isn't terrible, but at least it has an understandable pacing.

RTwP just requires a lot of dedicated tweaking and poo poo to make it work but when it does, it's very nice. I think the most important change would be to allow you to queue up actions.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

jokes posted:

I feel like RTwP is very slowly and also dizzyingly fast sometimes.

That may be issues related to animation, vfx, etc. In PoE1 I sometimes had a character go down seemingly out of the blue and I had to then go over the combat log to figure out who did what to who.
Deadfire handles the presentation of combat a lot better I feel. At least I haven't come across a moment where I have no idea what just happened.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Raygereio posted:

That may be issues related to animation, vfx, etc. In PoE1 I sometimes had a character go down seemingly out of the blue and I had to then go over the combat log to figure out who did what to who.
Deadfire handles the presentation of combat a lot better I feel. At least I haven't come across a moment where I have no idea what just happened.

For sure, I often found in PoE1 that a slight mistake in my positioning meant that everyone was dead but that never happened in this.
I far prefer the combat in PoE2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

For sure, I often found in PoE1 that a slight mistake in my positioning meant that everyone was dead but that never happened in this.
I far prefer the combat in PoE2.

That's because if you play on Potd in Poe1 the encounters usually have an assload of enemies. It makes it hard to see what's going on unless you pause frequently and/or have played the game enough to know what enemies are doing.

I don't mind that, but I can understand why some people would not like it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

RTwP just requires a lot of dedicated tweaking and poo poo to make it work but when it does, it's very nice. I think the most important change would be to allow you to queue up actions.

You can queue up actions in PoE with shift, no?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Correct. Useful for when you need to cross a trap you can’t disarm.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

That's because if you play on Potd in Poe1 the encounters usually have an assload of enemies. It makes it hard to see what's going on unless you pause frequently and/or have played the game enough to know what enemies are doing.

I don't mind that, but I can understand why some people would not like it.

I play on Classic in both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I finally beat the first one and am thinking of picking up the sequel, I looked at some builds and am wondering if this one still works

https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-builds-guide-brawler/

Also thinking about this
https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-builds-guide-inquisitor/

Because I was a cipher in the first game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

On PotD, you mean?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
New update, with some very slight details about the upcoming DLC:

quote:

We hope you've been enjoying all the soft balls we've used to ease you into Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire's combat until now, but the baby gloves are coming off. This month, we're releasing the Abydon and Skaen challenges in Patch 2.1, a Mega Boss for those who adhere to the "get good" philosophy, and an entire DLC focused around proving your worth through glorious combat. Prepare yourselves, Watchers - none of this is for the unworthy.

Far from the bustling trade lanes of the Deadfire Archipelego, the most ambitious warriors of Eora gather to compete for divine favor. Face the challenges of Kazuwari's Crucible and seek treasure and truth in an arena designed to test the mettle of you and your party. Slay your way through the most challenging foes you have ever faced, both past and present. Survive the trials and whims of the spirits and their worshipers to prove you stand above even the greatest the Deadfire has to offer.

Be ready, Watcher. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor comes September 25th.
and megaboss:

quote:

Next month, we'll be bringing our first Mega Boss, Belranga, to Deadfire. This poison-dripping monstrosity is only for the highest leveled players and will test your party's mettle to new heights. We'll have more information on Belranga and her ravenous brood in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!
and the exciting reveal of a third loading screen:

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I finally beat the first one and am thinking of picking up the sequel, I looked at some builds and am wondering if this one still works

https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-builds-guide-brawler/

Also thinking about this
https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-builds-guide-inquisitor/

Because I was a cipher in the first game.

The brawler doesn't work anymore, Swift Flurry works only with melee weapons now.

I say, forget builds and go with whatever you want, just make sure to have high perception!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you want good isometric RPGs with cool party members go play Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall and Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong, if you haven't already.

They're both really good and regularly go on sale for like $5 combined.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally started my Herald. Pretty fun so far though I'm still in the prologue. Running a Troubadour/Shieldbearer. Planning on just tooling around with a shield buffing and healing the party with chants and then dropping big summons here and there with invocations. Should be a pretty good character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I bounced off Numenara pretty hard. Just wall after wall of text that tried too hard to sound weird and are full of Proper Nouns, and so much of it was just boring flavor text. But what really killed my enthusiasm was that the first two people you meet are complete assholes, especially the priest guy who just seethed with hatred at you. All that text and there's no "What the gently caress is your problem?" option.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I don't know if this has already been answered- I haven't read the thread past the OP to avoid spoilers- but are there time limits on quests? Or can I tool about the ocean for as long as I like before attending to side quests?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There is a specific companion quest that features a very small time-limited section. It's extremely telegraphed and obvious.

Otherwise, no time limits to my recollection.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Thanks! I don't mind if it's heavily sign posted, but I always get antsy when there's a mention of "get X done soon because y" in the quest text.

Edit: With no other mention of a time limit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's another quest where you confront a guy and he runs away. I don't know if you can catch him because one of my companions chose that exact moment to tell me how much he liked adventuring with me, but the dialogue with another person in the quest suggests it may have been possible

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The new patch is out, so it's a perfect time to plug this mod I made: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/216

It makes the Necklace Of Unlocked Possibilities summon any magic weapon in the game. Perfect for people like me who bought that necklace immediately and never took it off

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Seems like Obsidian and Versus Evil are having a bit of lark and have posted a LinkedIn application for "Seeker, Slayer, Survivor" contestants.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Haven't played since I beat it at release and things definitely seem tougher now on potd. I just beat the first dig site and some of those fights were pretty tough. Gorecci street was also difficult and took all my cunning to beat.

We'll see how it holds up once I get a few levels/gear. Playing a Herald (Troubadour/Shield Knight).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Parenthesis posted:

Seems like Obsidian and Versus Evil are having a bit of lark and have posted a LinkedIn application for "Seeker, Slayer, Survivor" contestants.

They'll still get about 300 resumes from international applicants

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Haven't played since I beat it at release and things definitely seem tougher now on potd. I just beat the first dig site and some of those fights were pretty tough. Gorecci street was also difficult and took all my cunning to beat.

We'll see how it holds up once I get a few levels/gear. Playing a Herald (Troubadour/Shield Knight).

Ahh Gorecci Street or "Leave Town and Enter from the World Map So You Spawn in an Actually Reasonable Location" Street as it's colloquially called amongst the locals

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 13, 2018

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Don't understnad Gorecci street fame. It's an optional sidequests - and I've missed this sidequest on my first play - and you can complete it after you get to high seas where you have plenty of opportunities to get stuff and exp without any serious combat, not to mention forming a full party. If you don't use mercinaries you can't get your fifth companion in the port Maje, right? But then you have plenty available in Neketaka or with pirates with no combat.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you have 1 sneak on everybody you can carefully get through 1 by 1 down to the south-west which lets you split the enemies up. Or just sneak past and leave them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's a common issue due to rpgs insisting on starting you off with no skills or gear so the first couple of encounters will always be disproportionally more difficult than most unless you metagame.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game is a lot longer than some folks made me believe. I’m still playing my first play through and I’m sitting at around 55 hours working through BoW content right now, and still have a good 25% of the story/side quests/faction quests left. Do people just use high speed run every where, skip quests and mash “next next next” on dialogue trees? The first game with White March content took 97 hours to beat, on normal difficulty, and I never finished off concelhaut. This is definitely a high quality game and I hope for a third. Also, I loved Tyranny and Numenera both. Numenera runs a very close shave of being super up it’s own pretentious rear end sometimes, but somehow it pulled me in and I enjoyed it. It’s not as good as the original Planescape, but that’s hardly a knock against any game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

This game is a lot longer than some folks made me believe. I’m still playing my first play through and I’m sitting at around 55 hours working through BoW content right now, and still have a good 25% of the story/side quests/faction quests left. Do people just use high speed run every where, skip quests and mash “next next next” on dialogue trees? The first game with White March content took 97 hours to beat, on normal difficulty, and I never finished off concelhaut. This is definitely a high quality game and I hope for a third. Also, I loved Tyranny and Numenera both. Numenera runs a very close shave of being super up it’s own pretentious rear end sometimes, but somehow it pulled me in and I enjoyed it. It’s not as good as the original Planescape, but that’s hardly a knock against any game.

What the hell, I have three playthroughs of the first game and that's 92 hours of playtime.
Yes I run fast everywhere but I read everything and do everything. I can't imagine how you'd take so long for just a single play.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Doing everything in deadfire can feel kind of schizophrenic, I could see some players try to roleplay and say just tell the rdc to gently caress off right off the bat and not do their guests. Bounties are also problematic if you care about that kind of stuff.

Agree though if you do everything it’s a pleasantly long game. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I clocked about 40 on my first playthrough, and that was with visiting every island/dungeon, every companion quest, and doing all the faction quests up until their point of no return, but I did miss some Neketaka quests. I think Valera/Bardatto was the only major one I missed though.