Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Indoor plants suck, imo, I've never felt any attraction to the idea. I much prefer a garden full of greenery and woods nearby.

So would most people who like houseplants but most aren't so fortunate, indoor plants are much more achievable especially when you don't have any outdoor space of your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ebola Dog posted:

So would most people who like houseplants but most aren't so fortunate, indoor plants are much more achievable especially when you don't have any outdoor space of your own.

Even when I didn't have such access, they never felt like they filled the same space for me.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just met someone who has a lot of similar interests to me, and is in general a pretty cool guy. Had to ghost the dude though. We can't be friends.

He mentioned he was making a moss wall for his bathroom.

I don't mind indoor plants. They can add color and some interesting texture to a room. I just hate that they're often placed like that giant plant in the second pic above, where it's dominating and in the way. That's not the plant's fault, though. Whoever is doing the room wants to say "hey look.... a plant!"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's not about "hey look a plant!" Plants need light to survive. You can put a big plant in a niche or a corner but it's going to die asap. If you want the plant to live longer than a week, you have to put it in front of a window.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not about "hey look a plant!" Plants need light to survive. You can put a big plant in a niche or a corner but it's going to die asap. If you want the plant to live longer than a week, you have to put it in front of a window.

Then maybe you shouldn't buy the big plant, unless you love it more than the obstruction it's going to be. Plants aren't a get out of jail free card for good design and style. If the goal is just get some plants to liven up the room, then you need to pick the right plants for the space instead of buying any old plant to eventually die or take up your entire window.

Again, none of this applies if horticulturism is your hobby, but that's not the read I'm getting on most of those reddit people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Maybe I just don't like green.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe I just don't like green.

Plants come in a variety of colors

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Plants come in a variety of colors

So do paintings

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Plants are fine, but what those spaces really need is more candles.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I don't care for indoor plants either, but I couldn't care less that other people like them.

I flipped through a few pages of the subreddit, and a few of the rooms were really good. Mostly they were just bland, with way too many overstuffed couches and sectionals shoved into spaces they don't really fit in, with layouts that make it clear the owner sits at home alone and does nothing but watch TV/play video games. Also, so much black and brown.

Appropriately-scaled furniture and some attempts at using color would work wonders for most of them.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

There are plenty of plants that survive/thrive on low light. My folks have had snake plants, ficus, some ivy, and easter cactus for years, often shoved in a corner.

If your objective is to have a giant plant indoors, or a specific plant, then that's often going to be a compromise in look of the room since you'll be limited in where it can be placed. If it works, cool, if not, then it looks like there's a plant there for the sake of plant.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It might be a compromise in ideal design, but there actually are a lot of people who like plants for their own sake and not for a reddit checklist. Most people don't coordinate their pets with their interior design either.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The tree is bad.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Straight outta C-SPAM

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I can't wait to catch my toe on a pocket and break my neck.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rotten Cookies posted:

He mentioned he was making a moss wall for his bathroom.

Was he gonna put in a sunken tub and surround it with stones too? Cuz if you're doing a moss wall in your bathroom, you might as well go all out.

I have an heirloom plant. It's just a generic broadleaf houseplant, but what makes it special (at least to me), is that it's from a plant that originally belonged to my great-grandmother, who died when I was about five. My grandmother inherited the original plant, and when she died one of my aunts rooted cuttings from it and gave us all one. So I sort of feel a greater responsibility to it than I might with other plants. I dunno, it's just kinda cool I guess.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Cookies posted:

The tree is bad.

im glad someone gets me.

heres the full album of tree dude btw: https://imgur.com/gallery/JuJMSxA

good:

what are thooooose

E: lol at his masculine as heck spirits collection next to his breakfast table.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 7, 2018

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Imma go against the grain and say if you have this much natural light it's a loving crime to not have any plants. Dude is basically living in a greenhouse. Forget houseplants, you could grow tomatoes! Or a wall of peas!

Sorry, I've been living in a basement apartment for nearly 2 years now and it's making me a little crazy. I'd kill for a wall of peas.

I currently have lettuce and peas growing in my living room because my husband decided to get into hydroponics. They're growing in mason jars with some kind of nutrient water with daylight LEDs in a white posterboard enclosure. I actually dislike having this setup in the living room as it is really bright, ugly, takes up a lot of space and blocks the big bookcase, but we have a tiny house and there just isn't much space.

I am absolutely on team houseplant. We have dozens of them. One of the things we want most in a new house when we move is plant space. I'd love a whole plant room.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I currently have lettuce and peas growing in my living room because my husband decided to get into hydroponics. They're growing in mason jars with some kind of nutrient water with daylight LEDs in a white posterboard enclosure. I actually dislike having this setup in the living room as it is really bright, ugly, takes up a lot of space and blocks the big bookcase, but we have a tiny house and there just isn't much space.

I am absolutely on team houseplant. We have dozens of them. One of the things we want most in a new house when we move is plant space. I'd love a whole plant room.

It’s called a garden?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You're in luck!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Stick some automatic opening windows on the roof there to help control the temperature in the sun then you have my ideal house addition. My goal is when I next move is to either move somewhere with a greenhouse like that or space to build one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah proper farm greenhouses usually have rolling vents on top.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. Works using expanding wax and simply raises and lowers roof windows as the wax expands and contracts with the temperature in the greenhouse.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh god I'm in love with these guide light + outlet in one guys. I'm afraid about how much money I'm going to spend on them, I've already bought 4.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-15-Amp-125-Volt-White-Indoor-Decorator-Wall-Tamper-Resistant-Outlet/50253195

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

It’s called a garden?

I have outside plants too, I just wanted Facebook Aunt to know it is possible to grow a wall of peas in the living room.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have outside plants too, I just wanted Facebook Aunt to know it is possible to grow a wall of peas in the living room.

and with a moss wall you can have a wall of piss in the bathroom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

Oh god I'm in love with these guide light + outlet in one guys. I'm afraid about how much money I'm going to spend on them, I've already bought 4.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-radiant-15-Amp-125-Volt-White-Indoor-Decorator-Wall-Tamper-Resistant-Outlet/50253195

These are neat.

Is "guide light" a regional term or a super totally adult way to have a night light without your ego hearing about it?

I mean, it makes sense. I've just never heard it before.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Looks like it's a trademark that's becoming genericized (for adult ego-friendly nightlights).

It's a cool idea though and less elegant versions have been around forever.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Is my ego mass supposed to be so great that I will accept tripping and breaking my fool neck because I'm too embarrassed to utter the words "night light"? Yeesh.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our lightswitches all have tiny green leds built in :iia:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Our lightswitches all have tiny green leds built in :iia:

I wish you could find red LEDs as standard low-light illumination these days. Just as useful for not breaking your neck, but they don't ruin your night vision or interfere with sleep! But no, everything's gotta be green or blue, including the light on my alarm clock so if I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is I get blasted in the face by short-wavelength photons.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I ain't no PUSSY I'm not buying a night light!

Yeah I can kind of see why that language is used, I feel like guidelights are more permanent light the lights that take up a whole gang box and night lights just immediate make me think of plug in and goofy poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm planning a move from sunny Florida to a possibly basement apartment in New Jersey. In winter. I'm trying to plan out where to put the sword ferns and bromeliads ahead of time. I require a Florida Corner.

I figure it's gonna end up being a bar cart under a sunlight lamp, with an auxiliary led grow lamp. And that ikea chair.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 7, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Cops are gonna bust down your door, expecting to find a grow op, but it's just an underground jungle.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cops are gonna bust down your door, expecting to find a grow op, but it's just an underground jungle.

It’ll still test positive for weed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can wire your place with color changing smart bulbs and then just set them to orangeify at sunset.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I know, but it's not the same. When I lived above ground every summer I had a wall of red runner beans. (Peas are tastier, but red runner beans live a couple months longer than peas, get over 6 feet tall, and are very pretty.)

This picture was taken in June, by July they reach the roof. And in this climate they don't start looking manky until September.

What has this got to do with interior design? Well for 3 months of the year the vines would cover that window, so all the light coming through would be green and dappled and lovely. The leaves also shaded and cooled the room. It was like living in some magical elf house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

kid sinister posted:

I can't wait to catch my toe on a pocket and break my neck.
Or one of the belt loops that seems to be sticking up.

I'd really like to know the thought process that ends with "yes, that's it! Cover the stairs in jeans!"

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wish you could find red LEDs as standard low-light illumination these days. Just as useful for not breaking your neck, but they don't ruin your night vision or interfere with sleep! But no, everything's gotta be green or blue, including the light on my alarm clock so if I wake up in the middle of the night and want to know what time it is I get blasted in the face by short-wavelength photons.

These are great, but if it's something that I don't ever really need to see, like the "HD Video" light on my cable box, which is super bright blue, it gets electrical tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hailthefish posted:

You're in luck!

Not sure I see the point in having it attached to the house, especially if there’s not even a way to get in there without going outside first.