Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Lambert posted:

I'm the multi-billion $ note-taking application.
I suspect the efficient thing for evernote was to be a lot less ambitious, build a reasonable note product, and then just maintain it and collect money.

But instead they promised the next big thing to investors, who then bet on a giant valuation with a giant fundraise, and now they're stuck trying to build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

VideoGameVet posted:

No business case for doing so. They can’t keep up with orders as it is.

Nissan ships the 60kwh leaf this fall I believe. I wonder if the people who wanted a base model 3 will just buy that.

I just got a 2018 40kwh leaf and it's so nice. Every time I see a model 3 here in Iceland I think of this thread and feel like I dodged a bullet. No service center in Iceland, owners have to ship it to Scotland or Denmark for service.

We had a waiting list of 250 people for the 2018 leaf in a nation of 320k, but then again, gas is 9$ a gallon here, so...

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Ol' Musky's at it again: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45445554

"I think people should be nicer to each other," he said.

At least he's beyond parody at this point. Was it yesterday or the day before he was calling the cave rescue guy a pedophile again?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Please add a trigger warning before posting BBC articles, their writing style is aggressively terrible.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1038072019076739072?s=21
I can't stop laughing

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lambert posted:

Please add a trigger warning before posting BBC articles, their writing style is aggressively terrible.
How do you even survive posting here then?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

How do you even survive posting here then?

Maybe I should look into getting a job at the BBC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its all because the chief accountant left so they assume that the books are being cooked.

Of course the tweet makes you think its because of the pot.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

hobbesmaster posted:

Its all because the chief accountant left so they assume that the books are being cooked.

Of course the tweet makes you think its because of the pot.

you must take a holistic approach to muskian disaster- sure it’s mostly the accountant, but it’s also because he recently blamed his erratic behaviour on ambien while proclaiming he never smokes weed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lambert posted:

:hai:

It is really embarrassing to see how this formerly great broadcaster writes nowadays.

This can’t even be explained by conservative budget cuts because proper use of language when typing at your office PC should really be the part of reporting least affected by the budget.

However three lunatics who recently escaped from a privatised asylum disagree. “It was aliens”, one said. “Reptilians have replaced the reporters.”

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just got an email with the subject "Venmo + Uber = Your favorite new combo"

extremely incorrect!

However I am going to have an annoying export experience if evernote bombs out / stops working.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

CoolCab posted:

you must take a holistic approach to muskian disaster- sure it’s mostly the accountant, but it’s also because he recently blamed his erratic behaviour on ambien while proclaiming he never smokes weed.
Yeah, there are a lot of straws on that camel's back. The accounting fuckery was pretty obvious with that supplier discount thing I thought, though I suppose there are degrees of fuckery and having the leadership jump ship suggests it could be a 9 instead of "just" a 7.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

The Chevy Bolt is already the thing the Tesla Model 3 was advertised as, beats it in range, and is actually available for the originally stated price.

The one advantage Tesla has is the Supercharger Network. If you have to drive distance (say San Diego to Vegas) it makes a big difference in travel time.

As to the Bolt, it looks good but I simply don't trust GM.

The 60kwh Nissan Leaf finally gets the thermal battery management it needed and it's a 3rd generation model with lots of refinement.

That being said since I like smaller cars I wish Nissan would just import the Renault Zoe.

My car sits at a train station for 5 days, as I work in LA (live in San Diego County) and rely on my folding bike for all transportation during the week. When the 255k miles on it Toy-Auto dies (if ever) I should just buy a lease trade-in on some low-range electric.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine trusting Telsa over GM, lol.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kobayashi posted:

Imagine trusting Telsa over GM, lol.

I don't.

I trust Nissan, BMW, Toyota, Jaguar, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Volvo .. over GM.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

To be clear, he took a single puff of weed (as part of the "420" joke) and didn't appear to inhale it.

The bigger problem is the whiskey he was sipping for 2 hours during that broadcast.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/Limericking/status/1038095952085696517

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Oh and there's this

Elon Musk said he's months away from announcing a 'neuralink' that connects your brain to computers

Yeah, sure

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, here's the Guardian.

quote:

Taking a puff from a joint – which Rogan said was a blend of tobacco and marijuana and is legal in California – Musk said he “almost never” smoked. “I’m not a regular smoker of weed,” Musk said. “I don’t actually notice any effect … I don’t find that it is very good for productivity.”

Musk stunned investors last month with tweets saying he had funding to take the company private for $420 (£323) a share. He then backed off from his plan saying Tesla was better off as a public company.

Asked about the wisdom of smoking marijuana while he is under investigation by the SEC for the “take private” tweet, Musk told the Guardian by email: “Guardian is the most insufferable newspaper on planet Earth”.

In a subsequent email in response to a question about whether Tesla drug-tests employees, Musk said: “Our policy allows trace amounts of THC [an ingredient of cannabis] during work times, provided they are below the safety limit (much like a minimum alcohol level).”
"Not a regular smoker" is easily as credible as "I only read it for the interviews" used to be.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

much like tunnels, subways, rockets, and electric cars, this already exists but tons of people are going to act like musk descended from heaven with this gadget in a basket

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

luxury handset posted:

much like tunnels, subways, rockets, and electric cars, this already exists but tons of people are going to act like musk descended from heaven with this gadget in a basket

That's awesome, how can I buy one and upload my consciousness to it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, here's the Guardian.

"Not a regular smoker" is easily as credible as "I only read it for the interviews" used to be.
$420 a share :newt:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

That's awesome, how can I buy one and upload my consciousness to it?

It doesn't take long to upload a null file.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

It doesn't take long to upload a null file.

:bravo:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
fishmech beat me to a "toaster will serve as a reasonable approximate" joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

suck my woke dick posted:

:hai:

It is really embarrassing to see how this formerly great broadcaster writes nowadays.

This can’t even be explained by conservative budget cuts because proper use of language when typing at your office PC should really be the part of reporting least affected by the budget.

However three lunatics who recently escaped from a privatised asylum disagree. “It was aliens”, one said. “Reptilians have replaced the reporters.”

Due to budget cuts the BBC writers are a dalek, Cyberman and the Cat trying to sound smart

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

luxury handset posted:

Read further - the claims he makes are absolutely hilarious:

quote:

"I think we'll have something interesting to announce in a few months ... that's better than anyone thinks is possible," the Tesla CEO said on "Joe Rogan Experience." "Best case scenario, we effectively merge with AI."

quote:

"It will enable anyone who wants to have superhuman cognition," Musk said. "Anyone who wants."

I don't think Musk is a very smart person, guys.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just lol if you have any respect left for Musk at this stage. Guy's an absolute dumbass.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tesla's doing great! Honest!

quote:

Kevin Kassekert has been promoted to VP of People and Places, with responsibility for Human Resources, Facilities, Construction, and Infrastructure Development. Kevin has been with Tesla for 6 years and was previously VP, Infrastructure Development. Kevin led the construction and development of our Gigafactory in Nevada, turning what was a pile of rocks in the Sierra Nevada mountains into a factory employing 12 thousand people with greater output than the entire rest of the world’s battery factories combined, in roughly three years.

I, myself, am a first-rate sewist, and am therefore qualified to run a noodle factory. Because ... uh... SYNERGY RAND DISRUPT SINGULARITY!!!! (inhales)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Am I dumb for thinking electric trucks would have been a better use of RnD than electric cars?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People are working on both?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

That being said since I like smaller cars I wish Nissan would just import the Renault Zoe.

Not happening, and consider the US Electric-likes market to be a forgotten thing outside the well-known (Leaf) players.

Tesla projections are silly as gently caress for auto companies.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I have a great idea for an electric truck: But it requires two steel "rails" as a guideway.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Am I dumb for thinking electric trucks would have been a better use of RnD than electric cars?

the usage profile of trucks doesn't work as well for electric propulsion. electric vehicles are better if you want fast acceleration and are willing to trade short range. trucks dont really care about speeding up quickly but you do want long range. it's also way faster to refuel than recharge a truck, which is also handy for a business/industrial vehicle

electric trucks makes more sense when you're talking about smaller trucks, often called straight or box trucks - something that hauls less freight and is only making local deliveries. but if you're talking about a tractor trailer doing regional travel then electric is clearly inferior

the best fit for widespread electric vehicle usage is for commuter vehicles, because people generally only commute like a few dozen miles at most at generally predictable times, to generally predictable locations

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

luxury handset posted:

the usage profile of trucks doesn't work as well for electric propulsion. electric vehicles are better if you want fast acceleration and are willing to trade short range. trucks dont really care about speeding up quickly but you do want long range. it's also way faster to refuel than recharge a truck, which is also handy for a business/industrial vehicle

electric trucks makes more sense when you're talking about smaller trucks, often called straight or box trucks - something that hauls less freight and is only making local deliveries. but if you're talking about a tractor trailer doing regional travel then electric is clearly inferior

the best fit for widespread electric vehicle usage is for commuter vehicles, because people generally only commute like a few dozen miles at most at generally predictable times, to generally predictable locations

Thank you, this was informative, but on the other hand...
Check mate.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this makes sense on certain heavily traveled routes but it's not going to be a general replacement anytime soon

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Telluric Whistler posted:

Not happening, and consider the US Electric-likes market to be a forgotten thing outside the well-known (Leaf) players.

Tesla projections are silly as gently caress for auto companies.

The tipping point is an installed battery cost of $100/kwh of capacity.

At that point, electric cars with decent range (250miles+) become cheaper than gas cars.

My prediction? The Chinese end up owning the entire EV car market by 2030 or earlier.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

luxury handset posted:

this makes sense on certain heavily traveled routes but it's not going to be a general replacement anytime soon

or you know
you can just make a train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

or you know
you can just make a train.

this is in that weird area between fixed route, externally powered vehicles but also i dont want to put down train tracks. there are places that do trolley buses as well, the problem being that your route is locked to your infrastructure but at least your infrastructure isn't as expensive to set up or take down

but this is a century old idea, the problem with widespread implementation is the same as it was seventy years ago - there just aren't many places or applications where this technology makes economic sense. they were somewhat popular in the united states midcentury but generally fell out of use

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 7, 2018