Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah, i mean, unless there's someone going "there's salt in your drink because your drink doesn't belong there!" i'm not sure how confident i'd be in using that as a corrective measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mezzanon posted:

I have never in my life been to a place that gave refills on juice.

they exist!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

omg I'm going to have to ask now

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheParadigm posted:

I think everyone is jumping a little hard on the jerk move, but having read the initial comment, I think my reaction boils down to this?

1) this sounds like a company policy/health code compliance thing where you are allowed to have your coffee on station but not in a way that threatens the safety of your food prep.
2) employees are trained to and supposed to follow food safety, as well as this extra policy
3) they aint, despite repeated reassurances and speakings-to.
4) it IS a jerk move, but learning is done through repitition
5: Practical jokes have a purpose, as long as they are actually harmless
6) salt is not poison, but it does open the door to other liabilities/funnies. 'oh gee, salt wasn't working, lets put _x_ other dumbass substance in because boss does it
7) better S&T TT in your drink than a write up.
8) I think I'd rather have some seasoning in my drink than the alternative which is 'who threw my drink out and put the empty cup back in the holder?', which is what more liability focused management would do: get rid of the health violation immediately, then follow up with whomever it was to correct your behavior. The latter is just ugh for simple mistakes; the former is something i can laugh about.

Question: Who's more salty? the staff, or their drinks?

MOOP goes in the trash.

If you don't want it in the trash, put it where it goes.

Simple, easy, no gently caress-gently caress games.

Why is this so hard?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

MOOP goes in the trash.

If you don't want it in the trash, put it where it goes.

Simple, easy, no gently caress-gently caress games.

Why is this so hard?

How old are we in this situation?

Because 20 year old me says gently caress that, salt and Tabasco time!!

40 year old me says I ain't got time for this poo poo and throws it away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do remember one time a FOH coworker left their drink in the loving sink near the line. One of the cooks got really pissed at me thinking I did it until I pointed out I wasn't wearing that shade of lipstick on the straw.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

why bother with salt, just be helpful instead and refill their drinks at the nearest potable tap. they've gotta stay hydrated after all!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
nothing says fun like working 30 out of a possible 48 hours. I'm getting real tired of working 12 shifts in a week

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

nothing says fun like working 30 out of a possible 48 hours. I'm getting real tired of working 12 shifts in a week

Hear hear. I had only one day off this week, yesterday. Was "on call" for it too but thankfully the call never came.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Hear hear. I had only one day off this week, yesterday. Was "on call" for it too but thankfully the call never came.

14 hours yesterday, 16 hours today. Saturday and Sunday are the loving weirdest pockets of work. Saturday is work 4:00pm-8:30pm, then 11:00pm-2:00 am and Sunday is 11:00am-2:00 pm and 4:30-11:00pm, Monday is 9:00am-11:00pm

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mezzanon posted:

14 hours yesterday, 16 hours today. Saturday and Sunday are the loving weirdest pockets of work. Saturday is work 4:00pm-8:30pm, then 11:00pm-2:00 am and Sunday is 11:00am-2:00 pm and 4:30-11:00pm, Monday is 9:00am-11:00pm

Ugh, split shifts are the worst. When I did dish for the Army, my days looked like this:
0730 - 1000
1130 - 1400
1700 - 1900
... so I essentially worked for 11.5 hours (wasn't worth the time to leave base and drive home on breaks), but was only on the clock and getting paid for 7 of them.

I'm sorry, bro. Feel your pain. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

What the gently caress kind of schedule is this? Is this even legal?

In CA they have to pay you an hour of minimim wage extra for that poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 9, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What the gently caress kind of schedule is this? Is this even legal?

In CA they have to pay you an hour of minimim wage extra for that poo poo.

oh I have two jobs, my career adult job and my resto job.

so for Monday I work 9-5 at the office and 5:15-11 at the restaurant.

This weekend is hosed because I picked up OT at my adult job in addition to students going back to school and my restaurant being absolutely dickbaggingly hosed for staff because they assumed that nobody would need to go back to school and "oh yeah, Mezzanon isn't going to classes he can take 5-6 shift a week"

On the upside, the resto I work at pays more than minimum wage, and I make decent tips

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Stay safe Carolina goons. AMAHD don't do anything too loving stupid and die.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

too much work

Update on this, it ended up being 17 shifts in 10 days and now I am loving on Vacation for 6 days then back to my usual schedule of 3 shifts a week at the restaurant.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Anyone here been a barista, esp in VA? My place is shaving hours like mad, and y'all keeping up with this thread know about the stupid situation regarding my "raise" for being a shift lead. I'm looking for a second job. The coffee joint two blocks away from my house has a sign in their window saying they're hiring. Their website says barista, and they'll train. But they also just started doing lunch, and I've got experience in that in spades.

My question: when filling the application out, I got stuck on the "salary desired" part. I don't wanna shoot so high that they'll laugh and throw out my app, but I don't wanna undersell the fact that I have kitchen experience and could be more than just an espresso jockey. What do?

I have no clue what baristas make, are they $2.13 + tips like FOH here in Virginia, or do I ask for more?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know what the practice is in Virginia, but baristas generally make way less in tips than servers, so I wouldn't take that job if it's including tips in minimum wage. Most weeks my barista friends wouldn't make enough in tips to get them above minimum wage if that was allowed in Cali.
How do you look in a bikini, you could try to be one of those stripper baristas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm in San Francisco and barista jobs at the third wave places are around $12-14 with tips on top of that. You also have health insurance options. It's not legal to pay under minimum wage in California.

Also don't work at Peet's or Starbucks unless you have to.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm in San Francisco and barista jobs at the third wave places are around $12-14 with tips on top of that. You also have health insurance options. It's not legal to pay under minimum wage in California.

Also don't work at Peet's or Starbucks unless you have to.
n

No, they absolutely are not, as minimum wage is $15 and most third wave places pay more than min once you’re trained, plus (fairly small) tips

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 16, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ah ok, I worked at Peet's years ago and I didn't realize the pay rose that much. Don't work at Peet's.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
One of my counterparts came in strung out on something the past 2 days, yesterday being so bad, I thought he was drunk (at 7am). But, no booze on his breath, no slurring of speech, etc. His grandma, who raised him, passed last week, and his brother is in the hospital, and he has stuff going on with his GF over his family. Told HR that he was having a mental breakdown and probably has mild insomnia(which is totally, probably true). I just really, really hope that this works out, because he's a great guy(12 years as a Marine, Eagle Scout, etc) and I really, really understand his stress; I just don't know how to help him aside from listening. :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I just don't know how to help him aside from listening. :(

Don't fire him.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone here been a barista, esp in VA? My place is shaving hours like mad, and y'all keeping up with this thread know about the stupid situation regarding my "raise" for being a shift lead. I'm looking for a second job. The coffee joint two blocks away from my house has a sign in their window saying they're hiring. Their website says barista, and they'll train. But they also just started doing lunch, and I've got experience in that in spades.

My question: when filling the application out, I got stuck on the "salary desired" part. I don't wanna shoot so high that they'll laugh and throw out my app, but I don't wanna undersell the fact that I have kitchen experience and could be more than just an espresso jockey. What do?

I have no clue what baristas make, are they $2.13 + tips like FOH here in Virginia, or do I ask for more?

Unless I'm wrong, the 2.13 server wage is tied to alcohol sales - if it's just a cafe/lunch spot that doesn't do alcohol, I don't think they'd be allowed to pay you that? Or maybe I'm confusing American and Canadian laws in my head. Either way, as just a straight up barista, you should be paid at minimum, regular minimum wage. Assuming average cooks in your area make $2-3 over minimum wage, I'd put in a range from $1 over minimum to $1 over whatever the average cook wage is, and hope for the best?

edit: Yeah, your tipped minimum wage doesn't care if you serve alcohol or not, it can apply to any position that makes more than $30/week in tips. Realistically as a barista you may not make that, and you should still ask for your regular minimum wage at the very least.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 16, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

One of my counterparts came in strung out on something the past 2 days, yesterday being so bad, I thought he was drunk (at 7am). But, no booze on his breath, no slurring of speech, etc. His grandma, who raised him, passed last week, and his brother is in the hospital, and he has stuff going on with his GF over his family. Told HR that he was having a mental breakdown and probably has mild insomnia(which is totally, probably true). I just really, really hope that this works out, because he's a great guy(12 years as a Marine, Eagle Scout, etc) and I really, really understand his stress; I just don't know how to help him aside from listening. :(

Make like a reasonable employer and send him on bereavement PTO?

Or at least tell him about FLMA leave before he goes AWOL and gets fired?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
have you tried putting cement mix in their drinks so they would "harden up"?

i mean it's definitely no putting salt or whatever in a can of soft drink but it's a start

I'm sorry they are going through all this poo poo at the moment, I hope you guys are able to support them somehow

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Just joining in on this thread. Fellow industry lifer, currently in Dallas. Anyone else?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

don't fire him, give him a full day off (paid?) next time you have a chance to talk with him, and maybe buy him a drink at the end of the shift the night before. give him the name of a hiking trail or something nearby to go to on his day off. maybe an ativan or something too if you have one.

:/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well, it all worked out, turns out the VA gave him an absurdly high dose of Xanax because they decided he had PTSD, and not panic attacks from family stuff.

Still scared the poo poo out of me though.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So as I was exploring other jobs, I got pulled into the office today to get talked to. One, dont ask the board members things(I cook at a homeless/recovery shelter so double all the red tape) and also would I like to take over the kitchen. Can I still call myself an EC then?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ApolloSuna posted:

So as I was exploring other jobs, I got pulled into the office today to get talked to. One, dont ask the board members things(I cook at a homeless/recovery shelter so double all the red tape) and also would I like to take over the kitchen. Can I still call myself an EC then?

Do you set the menu?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
As someone who's been sifting through resumes lately I think I'd be more impressed by "volunteer supervisor" than "executive chef" of a homeless shelter, unless it was well known for training the homeless to pursue careers in the industry or something.

I'd also say that being a chef isn't particularly ambiguous, if you have to ask you probably aren't the executive chef. (Note that this does not apply to people who don't work in restaurants, or even to people in foh positions who I constantly hear saying things like "pantry chef.") Not every place that sells food has or needs an executive chef.

Without knowing more about the specifics of your job/the shelter it's hard to say for certain though. Unless you're applying for a chef position, having chef on your resume isn't always the best thing, I've had issues with multiple hires who think that their years of experience as a chef at the Marriott means they don't have to follow my instructions.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you were in your mid-late 20s with no experience, how would you become a waiter? Lie and say you have experience? Asking for a friend (legitimately).

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you were in your mid-late 20s with no experience, how would you become a waiter? Lie and say you have experience? Asking for a friend (legitimately).

Does your friend have experience working in any other customer service?

Shoot for the serving job, but without experience they might push you towards bussing/hosting/running.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Have they worked anywhere in a restaurant before? Do they have retail experience? If yes to either of those, just lie about experience and falsify a reference.

If no, start working as a host

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don’t lie - it makes you look like an idiot and super untrustworthy. Be honest. Say why you’re interested, that you’ll work hard, want to learn. Be willing to do some additional training. I’ll know you’re lying when you say you waited tables for ~6 months and you ick up a tray wrong; and then I won’t respect you because you lied about it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I just wanna know why it's so hard to keep the goddamn plates flat. 4 on the tray, 1 in the hand, and I still go through 20+ vodka wipes on a small lunch of 2-300.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

As urgency rises, errors rise. Like they teach with shooting, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I just wanna know why it's so hard to keep the goddamn plates flat. 4 on the tray, 1 in the hand, and I still go through 20+ vodka wipes on a small lunch of 2-300.

I haven't a clue what you're talking about, but am drat curious. My best talking-out-my-rear end guess is you use "vodka wipes" to tidy up plate rims when expo/FOH don't keep the plates level and make a mess of them? (Am I close?)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
He means plate wipes, although I'll say it's pretty old school and probably over the top to wet them with vodka. We used to use well vodka or gin to sanitize bar towels for wiping tables, etc. when I worked in dive bars (like, two splashes on a towel) because it cuts through sticky + dries quickly, but every fine dining/Michelin restaurant I've ever worked in just uses slightly damp cheesecloth rolled up as a wipe. Essentially, the same thing you'd get in a fancy seafood restaurant to wipe your hands with after a course but made from cheesecloth instead of a serviette. Removes splatters, finger prints, stray garnish, etc. Now I just teach my bartenders to very slightly dip their bar towels in the base of the high temp glass washer - super hot water and sanitizer, super easy.

I can take a photo if it helps you envision it.

Also, I hear that there is a food goon slack and I'd like to join, if someone would be so kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Do you people not know about isopropyl alcohol?