Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The only GameCube game I remember having really explicit link cable support (not to sound like this was the only game that did this) was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. In that one, the single player only required the GC controller, but for multiplayer, each person needed a GBA and a link cable.

Animal Crossing let you visit an island if you plugged in a GBA, which I did, but it didn't work quite right for me, because the link cable I had was for the original GBA, but I had the SP, so it would always push down on the L & R shoulder buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dabir posted:

"Trade for the other version's Pokémon" hasn't been good enough since Gold and Silver introduced version-exclusive legendaries. Only in Sun and Moon did they finally get around to fixing the issue by giving you multiples of the exclusives and then, for good measure, separating the national Pokédex from the games themselves so you don't need to have owned every single one of the fuckers in each new game.

That's only scratching the surface. If you're not willing to cheat, there are so many pokemon that are event exclusive, peripherals required for transferring pokemon (because so many can't be caught legit) and all sorts of other bullshit. Years ago, back when ruby, sapphire and emerald were relevant I think? There was a fun article about a guy who wrote about just how loving much it cost to get every single pokemon in the game at the time, now that they'd finally started holding events for Jirachi in America. He tallied up travel costs, the fees to buy every game, system and the cables necessary to trade and the time involved to get to the few sparse cities you could get them from. It cost a depressing amount of real money just to catch and trade a handful of pokemon.

The real kicker about all this, was that until the more recent games you couldn't even just ignore the pokemon outside of your version or region because once you saw, say, a charmander because there would inevitably be a random trainer with one; whoops your dex now displays every pokemon. Enjoy those like 300 empty spots you'll never fill.

Max Wilco posted:

The only GameCube game I remember having really explicit link cable support (not to sound like this was the only game that did this) was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. In that one, the single player only required the GC controller, but for multiplayer, each person needed a GBA and a link cable.

Animal Crossing let you visit an island if you plugged in a GBA, which I did, but it didn't work quite right for me, because the link cable I had was for the original GBA, but I had the SP, so it would always push down on the L & R shoulder buttons.

I think Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords were the only games that required it. Wind Waker demanded it for 100% and Sonic Adventure DX and Adventure 2 Battle could use it to throw a chao into your GBA or get a tails chao from PSO.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the tingle tuner is absolutely not required to 100% wind waker.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the tingle tuner is absolutely not required to 100% wind waker.

You need to use it to get a picture of Knuckle to get all of the sculptures.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that sculpture isn't counted in the game as a part of the nintendo gallery, it's completely optional and has no bearing on what the game considers 100% completion

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that sculpture isn't counted in the game as a part of the nintendo gallery, it's completely optional and has no bearing on what the game considers 100% completion

:shrug: What is 100% if not getting everything in the game?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

:shrug: What is 100% if not getting everything in the game?

Getting what the game considers to be 100% of collectibles, which in some games is less than the total amount of collectibles, with some being "extra credit", like how you can get 101% in DK64

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I Before E posted:

Getting what the game considers to be 100% of collectibles, which in some games is less than the total amount of collectibles, with some being "extra credit", like how you can get 101% in DK64

in dk64 you don't need to get all the stuff to get 101%, it's insulting

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have none of you taken an exam where you could get more than 100?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Metroid prime let you unlock the fusion suit with the link cable iirc.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

lobster22221 posted:

Metroid prime let you unlock the fusion suit with the link cable iirc.
That and it lets you play the original Metroid. Pretty neat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've 100%ed Witcher 3 but that still didn't mean I saw everything in the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When I was a game tester we had to true 100% KoA: Reckoning multiple times, and trust me that was a lot more than what the game considered 100%.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That sounds like a ring of hell. I liked that game well enough but doing everything in it was an incredibly fast way to burn out, especially since most of the side content was by-the-numbers mediocre and often busywork. The kind of poo poo you'd see in a MMO.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

When I was a game tester we had to true 100% KoA: Reckoning multiple times, and trust me that was a lot more than what the game considered 100%.

You deserve a purple heart.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've 100%ed Witcher 3 but that still didn't mean I saw everything in the game.

While you can do almost all 280 quests in the base game there's a ton of unmarked hidden stuff. That snotty guy you meet at the masquerade can be found tied to the stake outside Novigrad, and you can save his rear end from the fire where he'll thank you.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jimbot posted:

That sounds like a ring of hell. I liked that game well enough but doing everything in it was an incredibly fast way to burn out, especially since most of the side content was by-the-numbers mediocre and often busywork. The kind of poo poo you'd see in a MMO.

Honestly, it was one of the most fun I had as a game tester. We were doing the 9PM to 9AM shift (crunch time) so we were less than a dozen people all alone in the building. We put on crazy music and had fun while doing a really repetitive work, basically only caring about game-breaking bugs at this point.

Now, Force Unleashed, that was a loving terrible game to play over and over again.

Edit: Other terrible games I tested include Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens Colonial Marines, Space Chimps, terrible phone games and more.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

We put on crazy music and had fun while doing a really repetitive work

How crazy? Like... the Doors or something? Did you have a full blown Doors and Bug Test session like the legends tell it!?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So I'm sick and it's election night so rather than watching the news to see how much power the Nazis get, I'm watching the Nitro Rad Forbidden Siren videos that was recommended to me a while back.

I've only gotten through the first one but it's a bit disappointing, even beyond claiming that Europe isn't part of the West. He makes the regular comment about the "wacky" British dub and makes the most obscure puzzle seem like it's the standard for all of them. I'm not saying the dub is great but Americans are always treating like it's super wacky foreign voices, and while the puzzles aren't always amazing the video implies that all of them are basically cat hair mustache level. But the basic issue is that he ignores the context in which it was released, he ask for more hints to the puzzles but completely missed that those exist in the manual, which was something you were expected the look through in that era.

I'll see if the videos for the other games are more to my liking since they do have less "memetic" complaints and so he might actually be more serious about their issues.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

in dk64 you don't need to get all the stuff to get 101%, it's insulting

Donkey Kong Country 1-3 for the SNES apparently had this insufferable thing ongoing where you could always get 1% more than you would think possible. So DKC was 101%, DKC2 was 102% and DKC3 was 103%. Back when I was playing the games I did not know about this and always stopped at 100%. I thought when I got 101% in DKC3 that I really had gotten everything and held on to that believe until some weirdos on the internet one day talked about this and revealed the truth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

How crazy? Like... the Doors or something? Did you have a full blown Doors and Bug Test session like the legends tell it!?

It's true, all of it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anyone remember that thing from years ago called The Tester where the prize was to become a games tester and Egoraptor was on it for some reason?

Me too!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Anyone remember that thing from years ago called The Tester where the prize was to become a games tester and Egoraptor was on it for some reason?

Me too!

You too can do a job with bad hours, low pay, and absolutely no security!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

You too can do a job with bad hours, low pay, and absolutely no security!

i'm not sure if any show has ever had a worse prize

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arin went on the show to mock the poo poo out of it so when the crew figured out he was trolling them they came up with a weak excuse and manipulative tv editing to make him look bad and kick him off.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arin went on the show to mock the poo poo out of it so when the crew figured out he was trolling them they came up with a weak excuse and manipulative tv editing to make him look bad and kick him off.

That makes sense ha. I always wondered why, with his success, he'd want to pack it all in to do one of the worst jobs in the whole industry!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

That's only scratching the surface. If you're not willing to cheat, there are so many pokemon that are event exclusive, peripherals required for transferring pokemon (because so many can't be caught legit) and all sorts of other bullshit. Years ago, back when ruby, sapphire and emerald were relevant I think? There was a fun article about a guy who wrote about just how loving much it cost to get every single pokemon in the game at the time, now that they'd finally started holding events for Jirachi in America. He tallied up travel costs, the fees to buy every game, system and the cables necessary to trade and the time involved to get to the few sparse cities you could get them from. It cost a depressing amount of real money just to catch and trade a handful of pokemon.

The real kicker about all this, was that until the more recent games you couldn't even just ignore the pokemon outside of your version or region because once you saw, say, a charmander because there would inevitably be a random trainer with one; whoops your dex now displays every pokemon. Enjoy those like 300 empty spots you'll never fill.

I think Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords were the only games that required it. Wind Waker demanded it for 100% and Sonic Adventure DX and Adventure 2 Battle could use it to throw a chao into your GBA or get a tails chao from PSO.

The games have never required you to get any of the event pokemon even for the 100% pokedex reward.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Lindsay Ellis is unfolding a pretty bleak but important thread on being a content creator and "coping" with harassment:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1038848705028186112?s=20

While I knew things were bad I had not considered the idea that most people don't "cope" with it and just accept it's a steady decline into mental illness. I'd say it's unbelievable, but no... It's plenty believable. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

That makes sense ha. I always wondered why, with his success, he'd want to pack it all in to do one of the worst jobs in the whole industry!

yea he saw the red flags from miles away and went on just to gently caress around and laugh at it. The way they cut it so that a guy who, while many find him annoying, is probably a pretty solid dude and goes out of his way to be nice to most people and all that jazz, looked like a 'villain' in the show was real funny too. Like, Big Brother level overt cutting and restitching to make things that just didn't happen look like they happened.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dabir posted:

The games have never required you to get any of the event pokemon even for the 100% pokedex reward.

There are a lot of optional things and challenges people do in video games that earn them no completion award or credit, but they do anyway because they can. Whether it's beating super duper bonuses bosses just to say you can, or clearing some secret hard challenge that earns you nothing but the satisfaction of saying you've finished something most players haven't. Some games just have more poo poo to do beyond filling out all of the upgrades. Getting "all" of the pokemon has always been a thing, even well before Mew was legitimately obtainable due to events. I'm honestly not sure why people are being so contentious about this point, but I'll drop it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Lindsay Ellis is unfolding a pretty bleak but important thread on being a content creator and "coping" with harassment:

While I knew things were bad I had not considered the idea that most people don't "cope" with it and just accept it's a steady decline into mental illness. I'd say it's unbelievable, but no... It's plenty believable. :smith:

This is sad, and I'd never really considered it from that angle before.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea he saw the red flags from miles away and went on just to gently caress around and laugh at it. The way they cut it so that a guy who, while many find him annoying, is probably a pretty solid dude and goes out of his way to be nice to most people and all that jazz, looked like a 'villain' in the show was real funny too. Like, Big Brother level overt cutting and restitching to make things that just didn't happen look like they happened.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a single bad word about him - he's just cool and nice everywhere, online and offline.

Also, taking it to KAHNTENT - while I don't watch the Game Grumps particularly...this is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the Internet. My lord this is gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI

(Most folks agree that the guy they're specifically ripping the hell out of in this video is Game Dude, who was in like the 3rd tier of AVGN ripoffs back in the glorious days and also...er, turned out to be pretty odd to say the least)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Reminds me a bit of how people sometimes tell me how well I'm coping with my father's Alzheimer's. What, because I'm walking around and going to work still? I know they mean well but jeeez.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

It’s good that personal networks are beginning to emerge for people who make online videos thanks to events like this. I originally thought things like vidcon were cynical rentier poo poo (maybe they are that too) but it’s pretty clear that the internet is a machine that functions to drive everyone insane and solidarity with others is so important.

It sucks that it’s so hard to make content, because I really have come to believe that good videos that encourage critical thinking of any kind are one front of the culture war that’s happening all around us, and the people we talk about here are gaining real traction.

Yet I can’t possibly say that it’s worth it or that they should go on because I’m not them and I don’t know what it’s like. I can only say that I know it works.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A side effect of that thread is seeing so much people who pretty much managed to alienate and screw over their former colleagues quote tweet it and go "See? This is why I get so much poo poo. For being a creative WHO HAPPENS TO BE A MINORITY!!!1111 (even if nearly all visible critics of me are of said minority and I intentionally hosed them over for the sake of profit or trying to come across as ""normal"") online." in the biggest event of collective hand washing I've ever seen. It might as well have " ゴゴゴゴ" floating around it, holy poo poo.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 10, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

How do you even see folks who quote tweeted something?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a single bad word about him - he's just cool and nice everywhere, online and offline.

Also, taking it to KAHNTENT - while I don't watch the Game Grumps particularly...this is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the Internet. My lord this is gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI

(Most folks agree that the guy they're specifically ripping the hell out of in this video is Game Dude, who was in like the 3rd tier of AVGN ripoffs back in the glorious days and also...er, turned out to be pretty odd to say the least)

barbie is one of those lovely GAMES

my only experience of game dude was him trying to get people on a mugen forum to try to watch his videos with "woah check out this video this guys the next avgn" while having the same username as his youtube account. everyone ripped him a new rear end in a top hat and that was that

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

People rt them to my dash.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

copy the tweet link and then search for its url

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Mickey Mousecapades video makes me laugh nonstop every time I watch it. It’s wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Do not even ask posted:

barbie is one of those lovely GAMES

my only experience of game dude was him trying to get people on a mugen forum to try to watch his videos with "woah check out this video this guys the next avgn" while having the same username as his youtube account. everyone ripped him a new rear end in a top hat and that was that

Ah, the good old days of self-promotion. Why would anyone think that a poster named Alexander4488 promoting videos made by Alexander4488 would be one and the same person? COME ON GUYS GET WITH IT

The silliest thing that Game Dude used to do was reupload his videos. Back in the day when YouTube had star ratings instead of likes/dislikes, he was OBSESSED with having 5 stars on every video. If any of his videos got less than 4, he would delete them and reupload them...not that he'd actually change a single thing, he'd just reupload the same video. Shockingly this wouldn't result in a higher rating - normally it'd result in the video getting 1 star until a bunch of his subs buggered off because he was dedicated. Seriously, we're not talking just a couple of re-ups - we're talking over a dozen. And it's not like the vids were even remotely any good...if Irate Gamer was the poor man's AVGN, Game Dude was the poor man's Irate Gamer.

EDIT: Jeez, YouTube is so old now that I can unironically say "BACK IN MY DAY" while mainlining Jack Daniels and puffing on my 60th Marlboro of the hour.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 10, 2018