Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If this rep system update was a ploy to get people to do different queues I think they've forgotten about red alerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Breach event will follow right after CC and the reward this time will be a dinosaur combat pet with mounted laser guns

and theres also this bit:

quote:

We’ve got a brand new feature for this run of the Breach. Once per account, you’ll be able to purchase the Event Accelerator Bundle: The Breach, for 1000 zen. This bundle, available in the C-store, will give you ten Voth Operative Transmissions, and an Ultimate Tech Upgrade. Use it to give yourself a jump start, or to finish the project if you’re running out of time! For the first weekend of this event, the Bundle will be 20% off!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

DancingShade posted:

If this rep system update was a ploy to get people to do different queues I think they've forgotten about red alerts.

I would be very surprised if Red Alerts survive in their current form - as you say the whole purpose of these changes are probably to push people back into queues, and giving people an alternate method defeats that.

I think they will remove the choice box and make the Red Alerts purely Borg or Tholian or Lukari respectively. Maybe they will increase the XP they give as a consolation.

When this has been suggested in various channels before, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tigey posted:

I would be very surprised if Red Alerts survive in their current form - as you say the whole purpose of these changes are probably to push people back into queues, and giving people an alternate method defeats that.

I think they will remove the choice box and make the Red Alerts purely Borg or Tholian or Lukari respectively. Maybe they will increase the XP they give as a consolation.

When this has been suggested in various channels before, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Meh. I like the red alerts because they get me the marks I want in five minutes with no fuss.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tigey posted:

People have short memories.

The reason red alerts give (almost) every kind of mark was because the queues were already dead and people couldn't get marks for older rep trees.

Removing them from the red alerts won't fix the problem because it wasn't the cause in the first place. It was a poor time/reward ratio for most of the queues.

Everyone will simply go back to spamming crystal entity and if you don't have older rep trees complete then you're going to be smack out of luck and never get them completed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The t6 reps are probably gonna need some new thing that you have to start from scratch on and can only get from some new thing.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

hakimashou posted:

The t6 reps are probably gonna need some new thing that you have to start from scratch on and can only get from some new thing.

There's no way in hell they're programming 12 new things. If anything they'll just add a new currency drop to the same old dumb queues. Maybe they'll just pull the daily bonus marks and bring back the commendations from the OG dyson rep.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lagomorphic posted:

There's no way in hell they're programming 12 new things. If anything they'll just add a new currency drop to the same old dumb queues. Maybe they'll just pull the daily bonus marks and bring back the commendations from the OG dyson rep.

Yeah I can't see that old spaghetti code getting reworked either. Values adjusted slightly, maybe.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I can't loving believe I'm reinstalling this but I need to see how bad the DS9 stuff is, and how "I just want a paycheck" the cast sound.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Moon Slayer posted:

I can't loving believe I'm reinstalling this but I need to see how bad the DS9 stuff is, and how "I just want a paycheck" the cast sound.

It's not. The cast that was present did a great job, especially Andrew Robinson. The only thing bad about this expansion is how infuriatingly short it is.

*It would have been nice if they had brought in Marc Alaimo to Make Bajor Great Again.

faxmachine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 5, 2018

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah it's the best story content they've ever released and the best use of VO talent. The dominion faction poo poo is an afterthought at best though and they had wrapped the storyline up way too fast.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thirding that VoL is legitimately good in a way that STO normally isn't. It's worth a playthrough.

And then we're right back to Discovery :suicide:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

faxmachine posted:

It's not. The cast that was present did a great job, especially Andrew Robinson. The only thing bad about this expansion is how infuriatingly short it is.

*It would have been nice if they had brought in Marc Alaimo to Make Bajor Great Again.

The only kind of weak point is Kira, but that's not the fault of the actor. The character gets the kind of arc you'd expect DS9 to work into a whole season in two game missions.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
On the live stream about the new rep poo poo and mission reworks one of the devs misunderstood a question about the temporal ambassador mission and suggested they will re-run the temporal RECRUIT event sometime soon possibly when AoD drops.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/306389264?t=00h58m06s

God, I hope so. I'd kill for some of those drat rewards.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

It's hilarious how much better the real DS9 actors are as compared to the usual STO fare.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

It's hilarious how much better the real DS9 actors are as compared to the usual STO fare.

Like Hakeev, for the romulan republic. Oh god. ACT-ING is putting it mildly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Iymarra posted:

Like Hakeev, for the romulan republic. Oh god. ACT-ING is putting it mildly.

Also the captain who gets offed in the Federation opening missions. Please stop trying to Picard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I recall some of the no-name talent was basically regular employees with a microphone so they could do things on the cheap during the earlier years.

They were pretty resource starved by Atari.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

they are gonna introduce random queu-I mean Task Force Operations now to the game: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll go for the low hanging fruit:

Imagine taking 8 years to implement a random queue function.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

DancingShade posted:

I'll go for the low hanging fruit:

Imagine taking 8 years to implement a random queue function.

It isn't in yet, could still be a nice round 10.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Teron D Amun posted:

they are gonna introduce random queu-I mean Task Force Operations now to the game: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033

Credit where it's due, they're using their new animation system in exactly the right way throughout that post.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The exaggerated gaping open-mouth facial expression is a hallmark of content targeted at people with autism.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They basically included the images so people would focus on "OMG how hilarious/goofy Kurland looks:D!!!!" rather than the actual content of the blog, which is pretty tepid: for some bizarre reason they waste the first 5 paragraphs on whining from STO's marketing team about how the word 'queue' is too negative and immersion breaking so needs a rebrand.

Nobody is going to stop calling them queues.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

The main take away is that rather than being an actual randomly chosen queue it's gonna fill whatever queues are in need of players. This means you can troll it by just starting the shittiest/easiest to sabotage queues over and over. We can make IGA great again guys.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Turns out I still had some of the Delta Quadrant missions to finish on my highest level character, and I forgot just how awful fighting those Vaudwaar ships that spam the blue crosses is.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Liking the T'laru but is there any sci ship flyable by romulans aligned with the klanks that has good intel seating too?

Tlaru is a big beast, little too big. Feels a bit fragile but I just hit 50 so in mk x gear still. I strangely miss sci abilities too.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2018

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When someone gets a chance, Lanadra@Moon_Slayer could use a channel re-invite. I think I accidentally left it when I was trying to stop the "failed to join voice channel" spam.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Moon Slayer posted:

When someone gets a chance, Lanadra@Moon_Slayer could use a channel re-invite. I think I accidentally left it when I was trying to stop the "failed to join voice channel" spam.
Done.

You can fix the error message by selecting "Disable Voice Chat" under Main Menu > Options > Voice Chat.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah, I figured it out eventually, but not before I'd done a real number on my chat settings.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Credit where it's due, they're using their new animation system in exactly the right way throughout that post.
I like how they made it look like someone completely incompetent made the images; inconsistent illumination and color, terrible keying with halos and blotches of color where the keying just failed somehow, and un-textured mouths.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Is there a PS4 fleet? I'm sick of these pugs requiring me to donate so much just to buy science consoles.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

hakimashou posted:

The exaggerated gaping open-mouth facial expression is a hallmark of content targeted at people with autism.

Only dour humorless expressions in my serious space game please

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm not the only person getting a Twilight of the Idols/Captain America being bad in poser vibe from these, am I?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 10, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SNOT CORN posted:

Is there a PS4 fleet? I'm sick of these pugs requiring me to donate so much just to buy science consoles.

No idea sorry. Most of us are on PC. Heck a good number of us still have unlimited red matter consoles from launch era limited edition collector box sets.

I think I've still got the collector's t-shirt somewhere too. I'd be too ashamed to ever wear it in public though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The Starfleet Delta pin I got from the American CE is decent enough. Solid construction, and close enough to "regular" Trek.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How would you build out the cardie intel sci dread? I have some poo poo pissbeams and the keldon lance console as well as the 4 piece kelvin set. Obviously need to make changes for when I hit 60

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10998853-new-support-cruisers-join-the-alliance-fleet

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

You know, the last few dev entries have been silly, but at least it seems like they're trying, unlike Kael's usual "blatantly copy pasted from last time complete with transcription errors".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Iymarra posted:

How would you build out the cardie intel sci dread? I have some poo poo pissbeams and the keldon lance console as well as the 4 piece kelvin set. Obviously need to make changes for when I hit 60
Not sure your Kelvin set will be of much use, but personally I'd build (any sci-ship) around the deteriorating deflector and try to focus on exotic damage with whatever boosters I can afford/claim/grind.