Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Crane Fist posted:

I can't do it. It's just so loving tedious and overwritten. What's the catch

EDIT: This is actually a summary of the dealbook article I linked to, not the n+1 piece.

The catch is there is none.

It's really as simple as it first appears. Everything was fine, but the economic crisis in 2007 made everyone real angry and susceptible to "radical" messages about how maybe people should have some say over how the economy is managed. Basically, hyper-partisanship and distrust of experts didn't exist until the crisis, factors like ongoing economic despair, vast social inequality, racism, criminal behavior among elites, post-911, the Internet echo chambers and disinformation, political campaigns, the history of the US up to 2007, etc. are basically irrelevant in this piece. Sanders is basically Trump on the left because he wants to restrain trade and the power of the market, and the same goes for anyone else on the left or right. Occupy Wall Street was the same as the Tea Party because OWS dared to challenge the banking elite. The economic crisis has made everyone into little Stalins and Hitlers who want to rain on the economic prosperity parade, and if we can't make the economy appear solvent, manage our debt, or go back to sucking off economists, bankers and investors, there's going to be blood in the streets as the savage Americans, blinded by "populism," demand accountability. LOL. Particularly precious is when he holds up conservative policies in the UK (i.e. austerity) as "populist" to demonstrate how the right and left don't work (because they're just two sides of the same coin lol).

There's more (or less) to it, but I can't be bothered. It's the kind of piece that automatically offends the historian in me by being simplistic rubbish masquerading as sensible and responsible. The fact his interview subjects are all bankers, economists and Obama-era advisers is what really gives it the "we don't really give a gently caress about the little people" DNC shine.

Love Rat has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Sep 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Love Rat posted:

The catch is there is none.

It's really as simple as it first appears. Everything was fine, but the economic crisis in 2007 made everyone real angry and susceptible to "radical" messages about how maybe people should have some say over how the economy is managed. Basically, hyper-partisanship and distrust of experts didn't exist until the crisis, factors like ongoing economic despair, vast social inequality, racism, criminal behavior among elites, post-911, the Internet echo chambers and disinformation, political campaigns, the history of the US up to 2007, etc. are basically irrelevant in this piece. Sanders is basically Trump on the left because he wants to restrain trade and the power of the market, and the same goes for anyone else on the left or right. Occupy Wall Street was the same as the Tea Party because OWS dared to challenge the banking elite. The economic crisis has made everyone into little Stalins and Hitlers who want to rain on the economic prosperity parade, and if we can't make the economy appear solvent, managing our debt, or go back to sucking off economists, bankers and investors, there's going to be blood in the streets as the savage Americans, blinded by "populism," demand accountability. LOL. Particularly precious is when he holds up conservative policies in the UK (i.e. austerity) as "populist."

There's more (or less) to it, but I can't be bothered. It's the kind of piece that automatically offends the historian in me by being simplistic rubbish masquerading as sensible and responsible. The fact his interview subjects are all bankers, economists and Obama-era advisers is what really gives it the "we don't really give a gently caress about the little people" DNC shine.

I think there was a link mixup...you're referring here to the "Dealbook" article in the Times, correct?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah crane fist is asking after the n+1 piece not the dealbook thingy

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

GalacticAcid posted:

I think there was a link mixup...you're referring here to the "Dealbook" article in the Times, correct?

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm definitely not talking about the n+1 article.

That's okay though, now people have something to look at without having to actually read the lovely Dealbook article.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Love Rat posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm definitely not talking about the n+1 article.

That's okay though, now people have something to look at without having to actually read the lovely Dealbook article.

thank u for ur service o7

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

I could definitely be out of the loop, but butina is still accused of conspiracy and acting as an unregistered foreign agent, eg. through communication with torshin etc, yes? her alleged crimes are more than "had sex in exchange for favors"? I don't understand how "prosecutors hosed up trying to push something salacious" and "there is credible evidence butina committed crimes" are mutually exclusive. moreover, I still don't understand the need to be contrarian about this stuff. I am with david klion on this (whoever told me about this dude, probably in the succ zone, thanks). just because various succers want to use "rich oligarchs, both foreign and domestic, attempted to infiltrate the electoral process to make a fuckload of money and accidentally got a piss golem elected, to their delight" to preserve their own power doesn't mean said subversion by said oligarchs never happened, nor that it is cool and good.

but more importantly: gently caress the new york times, holy poo poo, that cuomo article gladkjshasgadsg

they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but when a prosecutor gets yelled at because they got caught saying false things in court, it's usually fair to assume that they've said other false things that haven't been caught yet

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Percelus posted:

i would love to hear your explanation for why he is a conniving douchebag with a chip on his shoulder :allears:

talking about radical leftism while living in a gated community with an armed guard in Brazil

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

except he never argues with him, they just have a good chuckle about how russia don't real

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
they're right

russia don't real

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I really appreciate the Russia story for it's effectiveness in outing people who are unable to perform basic critical thinking

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

I really appreciate the Russia story for it's effectiveness in outing people who are unable to perform basic critical thinking

I appreciate its outing of people who confuse self-righteousness with critical thinking

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I really appreciate the FAILING New York Times

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
FAILING

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sucking daddy mueller's dick to own the... leftists, who are organizing and agitating for a better life for themselves and the people around them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the Russia story is basically irrelevant

most likely, some of it is true and some of it is false. I'm not going to get super invested in arguing something that's only slightly above Bagelgate in terms of importance

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

the Russia story is basically irrelevant

most likely, some of it is true and some of it is false. I'm not going to get super invested in arguing something that's only slightly above Bagelgate in terms of importance

saudia arabia and israel both do way more to influence us politics than russia ever could

like imagine if this level of scrutiny was applied to pro-israel lobbyists lmao. id bet youd find some real dirty poo poo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

babypolis posted:

saudia arabia and israel both do way more to influence us politics than russia ever could

like imagine if this level of scrutiny was applied to pro-israel lobbyists lmao. id bet youd find some real dirty poo poo

they're not even trying to hide it, it's just nobody important seems to care

https://twitter.com/SalazarSenate18/status/1039542597411373056?s=19

puts some of the last few weeks of increasingly ludicrous smear campaign into perspective

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jesus christ

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

jesus christ

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The mask really came off for Salazar huh

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Holy poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1039574065659478016

quote:

Now the campaign has confirmed Salazar has had substantial assets held in trust for her. “Julia’s father, who played a very limited role in raising her after her parents’ divorce, was not able to work due to disability in the final years of his life, but on his death in 2009 he left a house and considerable retirement savings; those assets were put in a trust to be divided evenly between Julia and her brother,” campaign spokesman Michael Kinnucan said. “Julia does not have direct access to the trust; the trustee is a relative in Colombia.

Jose has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Sep 11, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1039592715560738816

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GalacticAcid posted:

Combining both topics from this page, Democracy without the People by Thea Riofrancos in n+1 issue 28 was excellent, on Latin American left populism as a necessary and good counter to conservative reaction.

This is good poo poo

I appreciate you GA

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

julia salazar is actually a deep cover genederswapped clone of antonio salazar

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thhe implication of course being that a real jew (unlike fake jew julia salazer) would joyfully submit their body to dear leader bibi's press goon

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Crane Fist posted:

This is good poo poo

I appreciate you GA

:cheers: glad you liked it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Really fun watching them panic about Salazar. Oh also I bet none of them are going to run the story that she was assulted by their sainted bib's communication guy.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Really fun watching them panic about Salazar. Oh also I bet none of them are going to run the story that she was assulted by their sainted bib's communication guy.

They've been straight-up smearing her with the shamelessness of the most rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth Trump supporters.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Love Rat posted:

They've been straight-up smearing her with the shamelessness of the most rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth Trump supporters.

They've preety much gone full British media on her. It reminds me of how the British media goes after Dianne Abbot or Corbyn.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1039229867743698945

https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1039509736524136448

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/CitationsPod/status/1039602085585711104

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

barbara lee 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

:hai:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kill All Gamers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BBJoey posted:

Kill All Gamers

Especially the minorities that make up most of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1039857463036665857

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SomeMoreNews/status/1039608249874444288

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the whole Salazar genetics thing is so loving bizarre and like a reverse-early 20th century vetting. "She's not a mischling like she claims so she's not qualified for office!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1039367200019230720?s=19

the shocking conclusion that yet another rabid eastern european anti-communist turns out to have been a nazi all along