Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Culture conversion is genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to unlock more government reform options or are all visible when you start?

I spent 10 corruption to change to plutocratic so I could get plutocratic ideas (awesome change by the way) and then grabbed the empowering nobility for the +15% manpower but the drat nobles still threw up a stab hit event about how they were cranky I was taking away their power. Ungrateful bastards. :v:

Jay Rust posted:

Culture conversion is genocide.
Not as delicious as in Stellaris, unfortunately. :(

Actually not since it doesn't affect development, manpower or sailors in any way. Not even during the conversion.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I'm playing Sindh, and I have a decision to "Indianize the Sultanate" which costs 100 ADM and changes my government to "Indian Sultanate". Only catch is my government is already an Indian sultanate. Are there some hidden benefits to the decision or is it a trap?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What bonuses do culture groups give to the Mughals?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

White Coke posted:

Yeah, and do the minor/extinct ones give special ones?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

In practical terms, converting culture is a way to turn diplomatic points into tax income and manpower, so it can be useful at times. At worst it's the equivalent of 30 diplo points for 1 base tax and 1 base manpower, which is still a better use of points than development in most cases.

This would be true in a world where the modifiers are multiplicative but they're not and buildings and other modifiers make culture penalties very less significant.

This is the same reason why TCs are so busted, you can overcome those -100% tax and manpower modifiers and you're left with a 0 autonomy province with higher output than a 75% autonomy territory with the same buildings

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you stick a colonists in a province and not in a colony?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Out of provinces worth colonizing? I find that as a heavy colonizer you often run into a situation by the mid-18th century where basically the only empty provinces left are crap 1/1/1s. Alternatively, some nations only really want to colonize a specific part of the world (eg locking down Cape/Zanzibar) and have little use for other colonies once that’s done.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

In 1.26 colonists can improve existing provinces.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Didn't see the dev diary posted here, sounds like they'll be rolling back the conversion changes in some way: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-11th-of-september-2018.1118823/

quote:

Good morning and welcome to the first Post-Dharma dev diary. Dharma was released last week and by most measures was an extremely successful release for us. That said, we have a tradition of post release support for our games and expansions, that's what I'm here to talk about today.

Firstly, While Dharma had very few critical bugs on release, there are still issues out there that merit a hotfix. For us, a hotfix is a swift patch on a released product, aimed to fix two particular types of issues: Ones which disrupt the game/its features in a big way, typically crashes, freezes or features breaking in peculiar ways, or small yet high-impact issues which are quick to fix and test on our end.

We are building a hotfix as we speak, and a preliminary list of fixes we are going to be patching are as follows:

Fix crash when supporting heir with negative chance
Fixed a peace treaty crash for players continuing their 1.25 saves
Fixed Trade Company Investments being lost on tag switch
Fixed Trade company Crash
Fixed Crash when stopping Area Rebel suppression
Revolutionary governments now lose their number of reforms as if they switched via reform
Mewar achievement script issue fixed (should be visible if you've formed another nation)
Fixes theocracies and hordes not getting aristocratic ideas
Fixed rulers swapping religions back and fourth in certain cases
Fixed Achievements not being available for released nations
Stopped tight-fisted AI chartering provinces for 0 ducats
Adopt Islamic government no longe ravailable to Indian Sultanates
More fixes may be added to this list as we continue to monitor bug reports that are coming in. Our plan is to release this hotfix as a beta at some point this week, and fold that beta into the main game after a few days, assuming no other serious issues pop up.

There are certainly other issues which I'm certain people are keen to see addressed. For those, we are beginning work on the main post-release Update, 1.27. Let's talk about that now.

Post release updates come after a big expansion, are free and targeted at a region, much like the 1.24 Japan update. We add some flavour to the target region. It also allows us to round up on a lot of the bugs which come in, both for the recently released expansion and some of the older backlog of issues. They sometimes go hand in hand with other things, and that will be the case, as with 1.27, EU4 will also be joining the ranks of our other games in becoming fully GDPR compliant. More details on this will be released closer to the time, but the result for most users will just wind up being a policy to read before playing the game.

Religious conversion in territories has been a hot topic since its changes were announced for and subsequently released in 1.26. The response on it on all platforms (and I've read almost all of them) has lead to some interesting conversations about that whats and whys of religious conversion and some cool ideas on what do do about it. I'm not quite naive enough to overlook how they were overall negatively received, and we want to address these grievances. In the short term, we're going to look at bringing Religious and Humanist more in line with each other as viable choices for your nation for 1.27. We have longer term ideas for conversions, but we'll talk more about that down the line after 1.27.

So yes, Hotfix this week, 1.27 coming soon. Religious conversions responses not falling on deaf ears. Now how about the target for 1.27? Well, over the past year we've put a lot of work into the "Rest of the World" With focus on Japan, The Far East, The Near East and now India.

I'd say it's high time we put the Europa

Back in Europa Universalis

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its about time someone told them that Europe is spelled with two E's and no A's

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
What is that, Polish-Lithuanian borderlands? What am I supposed to be seeing there

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

They are going to crash one of Jupiter's moons into Earth, this is worse than any comet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

skasion posted:

What is that, Polish-Lithuanian borderlands? What am I supposed to be seeing there

More provinces

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skasion posted:

Poland in 1444, looking northwest-ish. Silesia in the top left, Mazovia in the bottom right.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

White Coke posted:

Altaic: Turkoman Gunners (-10% Artillery Cost)
Baltic: The Baltic Trade (+5% Naval Force Limit Modifier)
British: Rule the Waves (+5% Ship Durability)
Burman: Burman Martial Leadership (+1 Leaders without Upkeep)
Byzantine: Legacy of Rome (+0.25 Yearly Legitimacy)
Caucasian: +5% mercenary discipline
Carpathian: The Black Legions of Carpathia (-10% Mercenary Cost)
Celtic: Highlander Courage (+5% Shock Damage)
Chinese: Confucian Bureaucracy (-20% State Maintenance)
Congo: Kongolese Religious Syncreticism (+50% Chance of New Heir)
Cushitic: Kingdom of Prester John (+1 Missionary)
Dravidian: South Indian Industry (+5% Goods Produced)
East Bantu: Riches of the Swahili (+10.00 Tax Income)
East Slavic: Mass Conscription (+10% Land Force Limit)
Eastern Aryan: East Indian Textile Production (+5% Production Efficiency)
Evenki: Manchu Cavalry Tactics (+20% Cavalry Flanking Ability)
French: French Courtly Culture (+1 Diplomat)
Germanic: German Printing (+15% Institution Spread)
Great Lakes: Skirmishers of the Great Lakes (+50% Looting Speed)
Hindustani: Unrelenting Expansion (-10% Core Creation Cost)
Iberian: Iberian Colonialism (+10 Global Settler Increase)
Iranian: Western Advisors (-10% Advisor Cost)
Japanese: Japanese Samurai (+10% Morale of Armies)
Kamchatkan: No Bonus (Possible oversight?)
Korean: Korean Literati (-5% Idea Cost)
Latin: Renaissance Prince (-10% Institution Embracement Cost)
Levantine: Levantine Cavalry (+10% Cavalry Combat Ability)
Maghrebi: The Barbary Pirates (+25% Privateer Efficiency)
Malay: Malay Merchant-Princes (+1 Merchant)
Mande: The Western Reaches of Islam (+1 Tolerance of Heretics)
Nordic: Nordic Rivalry and Innovativeness (-10% Military Advisor Cost)
Pacific: Sailors of the Pacific (+10% National Sailors Modifier)
Sahelian: The Desert Nomads (+10% Movement Speed)
South Slavic: The Slavic Bulwark (-10% War Score Cost vs Other Religions)
Southern African: Southern African Gold (+0.05 Yearly Inflation Reduction)
Sudanese: The Sudanese Trade Routes (+10% Caravan Power)
Tatar: Horses of the Steppe (-15% Cavalry Cost)
Thai: Thai Urbanization (-5% Development Cost)
Tibetan: Tibetan Asceticism (+0.50 Prestige Per Development from Missionary)
Ugric: The Finno Pride (-1% Prestige Decay)
West African: West African Ruling Class (-0.01 Monthly Autonomy Change)
West Slavic: Slavic Generals (+1 Land Leader Fire)
Western Aryan: Gujarati Traders (+5% Trade Efficiency)

Not a full list, but still.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 11, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Atreiden posted:

Altaic: Turkoman Gunners (-10% Artillery Cost)
Baltic: The Baltic Trade (+5% Naval Force Limit Modifier)
British: Rule the Waves (+5% Ship Durability)
Burman: Burman Martial Leadership (+1 Leaders without Upkeep)
Byzantine: Legacy of Rome (+0.25 Yearly Legitimacy)
Carpathian: The Black Legions of Carpathia (-10% Mercenary Cost)
Celtic: Highlander Courage (+5% Shock Damage)
Chinese: Confucian Bureaucracy (-20% State Maintenance)
Congo: Kongolese Religious Syncreticism (+50% Chance of New Heir)
Cushitic: Kingdom of Prester John (+1 Missionary)
Dravidian: South Indian Industry (+5% Goods Produced)
East Bantu: Riches of the Swahili (+10.00 Tax Income)
East Slavic: Mass Conscription (+10% Land Force Limit)
Eastern Aryan: East Indian Textile Production (+5% Production Efficiency)
Evenki: Manchu Cavalry Tactics (+20% Cavalry Flanking Ability)
French: French Courtly Culture (+1 Diplomat)
Germanic: German Printing (+15% Institution Spread)
Great Lakes: Skirmishers of the Great Lakes (+50% Looting Speed)
Hindustani: Unrelenting Expansion (-10% Core Creation Cost)
Iberian: Iberian Colonialism (+10 Global Settler Increase)
Iranian: Western Advisors (-10% Advisor Cost)
Japanese: Japanese Samurai (+10% Morale of Armies)
Kamchatkan: No Bonus (Possible oversight?)
Korean: Korean Literati (-5% Idea Cost)
Latin: Renaissance Prince (-10% Institution Embracement Cost)
Levantine: Levantine Cavalry (+10% Cavalry Combat Ability)
Maghrebi: The Barbary Pirates (+25% Privateer Efficiency)
Malay: Malay Merchant-Princes (+1 Merchant)
Mande: The Western Reaches of Islam (+1 Tolerance of Heretics)
Nordic: Nordic Rivalry and Innovativeness (-10% Military Advisor Cost)
Pacific: Sailors of the Pacific (+10% National Sailors Modifier)
Sahelian: The Desert Nomads (+10% Movement Speed)
South Slavic: The Slavic Bulwark (-10% War Score Cost vs Other Religions)
Southern African: Southern African Gold (+0.05 Yearly Inflation Reduction)
Sudanese: The Sudanese Trade Routes (+10% Caravan Power)
Tatar: Horses of the Steppe (-15% Cavalry Cost)
Thai: Thai Urbanization (-5% Development Cost)
Tibetan: Tibetan Asceticism (+0.50 Prestige Per Development from Missionary)
Ugric: The Finno Pride (-1% Prestige Decay)
West African: West African Ruling Class (-0.01 Monthly Autonomy Change)
West Slavic: Slavic Generals (+1 Land Leader Fire)
Western Aryan: Gujarati Traders (+5% Trade Efficiency)

The lack of any Discipline or Infantry power shows they're learning :v:

The blank does not :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

There is a discipline bonus, it comes from "lost cultures" which you need to make a custom nation for, use mods, or have someone else form the Roman Empire and then conquer them (which now I think of it would be a very fun way to end an OP Mughals campaign :getin: )

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

there is Caucasian: +5% mercenary discipline. Though not on the list i copy-pasted

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

There's also a central Indian which is -10% attrition

p.s. has anyone done the Viceroyality of Deccan thing yet? From what I can tell from console fuckery, this doesn't remove any of your cores at all so if you want you can just straight up annex them whenever you like as long as you don't go feeding them extra territory.

Since you probably have 80% core cost reduction it's actually much cheaper in monarch points to (full) core the provinces yourself first than it is to release Deccan with a bunch of uncored provinces which you then need to pay full regular diplo annex cost if you want to absorb them later.

Maybe doing it all through the console broke something and this isn't how it works in actual gameplay.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

There's also a central Indian which is -10% attrition

p.s. has anyone done the Viceroyality of Deccan thing yet? From what I can tell from console fuckery, this doesn't remove any of your cores at all so if you want you can just straight up annex them whenever you like as long as you don't go feeding them extra territory.

Since you probably have 80% core cost reduction it's actually much cheaper in monarch points to (full) core the provinces yourself first than it is to release Deccan with a bunch of uncored provinces which you then need to pay full regular diplo annex cost if you want to absorb them later.

Maybe doing it all through the console broke something and this isn't how it works in actual gameplay.

Nope you are completely right. In my current Mughals game I had already cored most of it when I could complete the mission and since I had moved my capital to Europe, the other option in the event the mission triggers wasn't exactly optimal, so that mission sits unfinished.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
As Mughals, should I take the decision to become Sikh or just stick with my current flavor of Islam? Can you even have a non-Islamic Mughals?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grizzwold posted:

As Mughals, should I take the decision to become Sikh or just stick with my current flavor of Islam? Can you even have a non-Islamic Mughals?

From a pure gameplay perspective, Islam is much more powerful than Sikh. The Piety mechanic alone makes it better, let alone the beneficial decisions and events. Sikh is a very normal religion in comparison.

I was still sorta tempted to convert to sikh in my Mughals run but I wasn't sure what would happen to my indian sultanate status.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 12, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I just got out of a war with Muscovy with 500 manpower and 800 ducats in loans. How the heck is Bohemia allowed to then call me into an offensive war against someone who's not even my rival? Sometimes this game makes no sense.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

More provinces

I'm beginning to not like more provinces. I think they just add to the late game tedium.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Tried my first Ming run, and it feels...weird. Do I try to make everyone a tributary, or keep some enemies to expand? Is it worth converting provinces, or do I just harmonize existing faiths?

It feels weird to start so big. Just walking your armies across your territory to stamp a rebellion or set p a war takes forever, and that's a problem you have in mid-game Russia or Ottomans, not from 1444!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I usually avoid debt like the plague

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

I just got out of a war with Muscovy with 500 manpower and 800 ducats in loans. How the heck is Bohemia allowed to then call me into an offensive war against someone who's not even my rival? Sometimes this game makes no sense.

"Ally" is just another word for "Person trying to kill you more slowly."

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm Oman, allied with Ottomans and a massive Aq Qoyunlu. Ottomans are willing to join my war against the Mamluks, but Aq is not because they're 700 ducats in debt. I figure I'll send them a gift of money to get rid of that negative modifier and bring them into the war too. As soon as I send it to them, they immediately go 2200 ducats into debt, despite being at peace. :psyduck:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm Oman, allied with Ottomans and a massive Aq Qoyunlu. Ottomans are willing to join my war against the Mamluks, but Aq is not because they're 700 ducats in debt. I figure I'll send them a gift of money to get rid of that negative modifier and bring them into the war too. As soon as I send it to them, they immediately go 2200 ducats into debt, despite being at peace. :psyduck:

Dude, do you know how much they'd have made if the Washington Generals had won?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sephyr posted:

Dude, do you know how much they'd have made if the Washington Generals had won?

I'm due, man.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Senor Dog posted:

You should be able to uncheck the "Join Offensive Wars" box. It's a little silly that they called you in, but there is at least a tool to prevent it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I wish the ai could make use of the prepare for war feature so I could get some advance warning.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Detheros posted:

I wish the ai could make use of the prepare for war feature so I could get some advance warning.

I think in general it would be cool if there could be some form of communication between allies, so that it's "hey, I want to fight the Ottomans soon, can you help me out?" rather than "I'm fighting the Ottomans right the gently caress now, come help me or you're a bitch."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Isn't that what the "Prepare for War" button is for?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Sephyr posted:

Tried my first Ming run, and it feels...weird. Do I try to make everyone a tributary, or keep some enemies to expand? Is it worth converting provinces, or do I just harmonize existing faiths?

My Ming game was a few updates ago, but I'm assuming the following principles hold true:

• Always keep a few enemies, but more importantly, try and focus on taking down large realms when possible. That eliminates a potential threat which is going to be unwilling to pay tribute anyway. On the other hand, think twice before storming in to conquer a two- or three-province minor; it may not be worth the trouble compared to the addition of a bit more Paper Mana and mandate growth.
  • Never convert a province and never stop harmonizing. Frankly, unless you actually decide to go for inward perfection (boring!), you should also consign yourself to having 0% Harmony until you've syncretized with everyone. The long-term bonuses and integration are generally more useful than short-term stability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Isn't that what the "Prepare for War" button is for?

No that's something only the player can do. And all it does is make the AI unmothball their forts and raise their maintenance, and make them more likely to answer calls to arms in the next six months.

I've literally never used it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've used it if an ally keeps declaring wars and calling me in before I can declare wars and call him in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

I think you're expected to use the toggle for not accepting offensive calls to arms in the ally details screen under trust and favors. But actually remembering to do so is rare for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also makes you lose favors and maybe even trust?