Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ok it should be fine now, I went through the version history after the screwup and added all the new names as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, so we spent the last 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Germany, and Italy and today we're in NYC.

It's very noticeable that in Europe you get a little extra distance outside your circle to spin/gym. Like maybe 10-15 feet. I'm bad at estimating.

Weird.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so we spent the last 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Germany, and Italy and today we're in NYC.

It's very noticeable that in Europe you get a little extra distance outside your circle to spin/gym. Like maybe 10-15 feet. I'm bad at estimating.

Weird.
That's because Europe is mostly at a higher latitude than the US. NYC is at the same latitude as Madrid or Naples.

Closer to the equator, you get less distance, a stop can be in your circle but you still can't reach it. Something to do with how their maps work, I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well the wife is out of town for a couple of days so I'm going to go hunting for an Omanyte nest.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Entropist posted:

That's because Europe is mostly at a higher latitude than the US. NYC is at the same latitude as Madrid or Naples.

Closer to the equator, you get less distance, a stop can be in your circle but you still can't reach it. Something to do with how their maps work, I guess.

Oh that explains it; when I'm at home in Whistler I get a bit of extra space but when I was in LA a couple weeks back I had to be exactly within the circle to hit a pokestop. I couldn't figure out what the difference was.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BGrifter posted:

My Go-tcha arrived yesterday and this morning has been my first morning with it. Holy poo poo this thing is AMAZING. Worth every penny.

Hell its worth it just to be able to keep the game running with the screen completely off instead of upside down in my pocket in “battery saver mode”.

Does it keep the app active enough to track distance? The most annoying thing is having it upside-down in my pocket, but a notification pops up and my leg somehow taps it and I find that I sent 4 text messages somehow.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Does it keep the app active enough to track distance? The most annoying thing is having it upside-down in my pocket, but a notification pops up and my leg somehow taps it and I find that I sent 4 text messages somehow.

It does track distance, even with your screen locked.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Entropist posted:

Holy poo poo, really? Web Mercator strikes again.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Bought incubators last night to clear eggs out pre-event. Freaked out today thinking poo poo, aren't gift eggs generated when the gift is received from the pokestop? :gonk: But Silph Road has PSAs up stating eggs get 'rolled for' when you open the gift, not before. So I can clear out my egg box, hold onto gifts, and start opening them tomorrow at 1 to get event-relevant 7k eggs :toot:

Also I literally forgot until last night that one can spend actual money to buy things in this free to play game! Instead of painstakingly gathering coins from the rare times I can actually defend gyms (my team's the local minority).

Figure the number of hours I've spent on this damned game, I can justify throwing a few :10bux: at the developer :v:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
drat, at gift opening, not at hatch? I "gamed the system" the wrong way today then.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SuperKlaus posted:

drat, at gift opening, not at hatch? I "gamed the system" the wrong way today then.

Eggs are determined at the point they enter your personal egg carton.

Best get to walking.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bitprophet posted:

Bought incubators last night to clear eggs out pre-event. Freaked out today thinking poo poo, aren't gift eggs generated when the gift is received from the pokestop? :gonk: But Silph Road has PSAs up stating eggs get 'rolled for' when you open the gift, not before. So I can clear out my egg box, hold onto gifts, and start opening them tomorrow at 1 to get event-relevant 7k eggs :toot:

Also I literally forgot until last night that one can spend actual money to buy things in this free to play game! Instead of painstakingly gathering coins from the rare times I can actually defend gyms (my team's the local minority).

Figure the number of hours I've spent on this damned game, I can justify throwing a few :10bux: at the developer :v:

Tomorrow is the 12th, not the 13th

In related news, I did not realize those bundle boxes were limited time and can't buy the one with incubators and raid passes now :negative:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:rip:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

:hf:

:911:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pubic works project posted:

Well the wife is out of town for a couple of days so I'm going to go hunting for an Omanyte nest.

?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

finally did my first regirock raid, caught the stupid thing so now i don't ever need to do one again. gently caress the regis, they can't leave raid battles quickly enough.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gently caress the regis, they can't leave raid battles quickly enough.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
regigigas when

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

IcePhoenix posted:

In related news, I did not realize those bundle boxes were limited time and can't buy the one with incubators and raid passes now :negative:

I'm sure they'll do another bundle box sale soon. Like this weekend.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

pubic works project posted:

I'm sure they'll do another bundle box sale soon. Like this weekend.

Yeah, the sales tend to be close to one another so far. I’m hoping the next boxes have more incubators per container. This time, the top box had 10 (but more star shards than normal) but I think the last box had 12?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah, the sales tend to be close to one another so far. I’m hoping the next boxes have more incubators per container. This time, the top box had 10 (but more star shards than normal) but I think the last box had 12?

Yeah last box did have. It was loving awesome.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Carolina goons, remember, the real power move is to take over gyms right before evacuating.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

IcePhoenix posted:

In my defense I work from home half the time & just got back from vacation as well, so days of the week are currently very abstract concepts :v: but thanks for the idiot check! Just means I'll have a bit more time to wrap up the rest of my egg-walkin'.

SuperKlaus posted:

The Silph Road post I saw put it very usefully: because the eggs' contents are determined as soon as they show up in your inventory, and count towards your Pokémon limit (!) it's easier to just think of them as "hidden Pokémon", as opposed to discrete items which "become" Pokémon.

This also means if you want to avoid picking up any new eggs from stops or gifts, you can just let your Pokémon box fill up. :yeah:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

SuperKlaus posted:

:hf:

Me too buddy, me too

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DizzyBum posted:

Slowpoke: "I can't believe this happened ten years ago"

"Why does NYC look different? Weren't there like two or three more buildings on the skyline?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Eggs are determined at the point they enter your personal egg carton.

Best get to walking.

I think I that applies to regular eggs, not Alolan eggs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why would they have separate rules for eggs?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

Why would they have separate rules for eggs?

We’ll ‘why’ is a question you can apply to a lot of the design decisions in this game but yeah looks like I’m wrong, saw people talking about it my local group’s Discord and either I misunderstood or they did.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

dwarf74 posted:

Carolina goons, remember, the real power move is to take over gyms right before evacuating.

:hmmyes:

(please don't get killed because of pokemen, even for an "epic" joke)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're going to do that, sharpie your SSN on your arm so maybe we'll figure out whose bloated corpse it was.

No really GTFO.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hello friends. If you haven't already please add me, Bonerlord 3813 5974 8128. I live in Australia and sometimes even open gifts I am sent. Most importantly I want friends so I can catch an Onion Fairy.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

No one send me gifts until the 13th. I cleared out eggs and now can't spin stops or open old gifts if I'm understanding this correctly. I also won't send out gifts again until the 13th just to make sure that if you're getting eggs from me they'll be regionals.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
When you get the gifts is irrelevant, what matters is when you open them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Is it me or does it seem like Niantic adjusted drop rates of presents from stops? Normally the run I do in the morning nets me something like 15 presents but as of late it's been half that, and it seems like the gifts I've been receiving lately have been lower too.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
^^^ I've been getting a lot fewer lately as well, I used to have to send gifts halfway through my walk to have enough space

Wheany posted:

:hmmyes:

(please don't get killed because of pokemen, even for an "epic" joke)

He didn't say take it when the eye passes over, just before evacuating.

That said, all you evacuees coming through here better not take the 5 gyms in my town :colbert:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, same, I was actually about to buy coins for an Ultra Box yesterday and WHOOPS IT'S GONE :v:

I have a feeling they'll return when the event goes live tomorrow, though. I hope.

Louisgod posted:

Is it me or does it seem like Niantic adjusted drop rates of presents from stops? Normally the run I do in the morning nets me something like 15 presents but as of late it's been half that, and it seems like the gifts I've been receiving lately have been lower too.

I haven't noticed a difference, personally.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If anything I've been getting more gifts recently.

Are you sure you're not giftcapped, Louisgod? You can only hold ten at a time so if you hit that cap during your run none of the remaining stops will be able to give you one.. Also I dunno if it's the same for everyone but at least on my end you're getting fewer gifts from me because I sort my friends list by friendship and work my way down, and you took like a week to open a gift once so you fell way down.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

IcePhoenix posted:

If anything I've been getting more gifts recently.

Are you sure you're not giftcapped, Louisgod? You can only hold ten at a time so if you hit that cap during your run none of the remaining stops will be able to give you one.. Also I dunno if it's the same for everyone but at least on my end you're getting fewer gifts from me because I sort my friends list by friendship and work my way down, and you took like a week to open a gift once so you fell way down.

Yeah when I noted 15 it's after I stop at the cap and send them out, then accrue more. Anyway, it's just anecdotal and isn't based on any hard evidence, was mostly curious if others have seen the same. Maybe it's just bad RNG.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It seems closer to one every two stops now, as opposed to nearly grabbing one every time.

It seems to take more spins to get eggs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Has anyone seen longer Go-tcha/Go+ sessions since the last update? Just happened to notice it this morning. I connected mine almost an hour and a half ago and it's still going. Seems like the only time it disconnects for me now is when the app is force-closed or the system kills it for resources.

I guess I didn't really notice it since my phone is a bit older and frequently kills the app when it's in the background. It would be awesome if they managed to raise the connection timeout along with all the other fixes they added.

e: I must have jinxed it while typing the post. The game did finally disconnect the Go-tcha after an hour and a half. So it's possible they raised the time limit.

• Locked thread