Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

doesn't khabib pretty much plow straight forward into punches? p sure hes going to die

Yes he does. I just think that he can survive eating that punch on the way in. If that happens, he'll get the clinch, and then make Conor pay tenfold for that one punch. After the standup happens, Conor will be too beaten up to make it happen meaningfully again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

Yes he does. I just think that he can survive eating that punch on the way in. If that happens, he'll get the clinch, and then make Conor pay tenfold for that one punch. After the standup happens, Conor will be too beaten up to make it happen meaningfully again.

what if conor stick + moves and khabib just eats that punch over and over again

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Plz don't try to bring high level concepts like moving out of the way into MMA

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

i think he will fade quickly. he looked alright for 5 rounds against diaz which is good going but i personally think khabib is even fitter and certainly stronger

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
if it weren't for how loving good and improved Conor has looked since the fight against nate it'd be easy to say Khabib. but if he spent three hundred thousand dollars to learn how to throw leg kicks BEFORE the Mayweather payday I bet he's spending half a million on learning to sprawl

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

i think he will fade quickly. he looked alright for 5 rounds against diaz which is good going but i personally think khabib is even fitter and certainly stronger

I agree with that too. im trying to convince myself of my imaginary bull v matador scenario but its not working

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

conor vs. khabib press conference in NY next week media only no public

mewse
May 2, 2006

Throwin bottles in the conf, like a blizzard
When we get fined we do it right gettin slizzard

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i dont think khabib is any fitter than nate. nate can go 5 hard rounds but conor was cracking him and getting hit takes away your gas real fast. khabib has a much better way to tire out and beat conor than nate did tho, and nate still won

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
but i definitely agree that if khabib is doin his thing then conor is gonna fade pretty quick and get dominated on the ground

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Don't forget Conor hasn't fought in an MMA fight in 21 months, and has been most likely living it up playboy style. There's got to be a bit of ring rust, and I doubt he'll be mentally sharp going in.
On top of that he's fighting an elite grappler, and we've seen that grappling is his weakest skill. I could see him break mentally if Khabib gets him down and controls him there.

Then again, IF the fight happens, it could just be a repeat of the Aldo fight.
It's so compelling though, something the UFC really needs.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it doesn't feel like an exciting fight to talk about, like it will be to watch but no one anywhere seems to think it will be anything other than 1 of them looking dominant

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

i dont think khabib is any fitter than nate. nate can go 5 hard rounds but conor was cracking him and getting hit takes away your gas real fast. khabib has a much better way to tire out and beat conor than nate did tho, and nate still won

I could go with that.

. Nate and Max are both awesome on the feet but everyone else has got KO'd right? In my minds eye Khabibs head swings around as he charges in and I think he might get KOd

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i have no idea whats gonna happen. even when conor was dropping nate like 5 times and had him tired, he also faded bad and had to run to avoid exchanges in the later rounds

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Khabib sub's him in round three, I reckon.
Conor will have moments and there's a definite rematch booked regsrdless of winner, though if it's Conor's win, he takes another 2 years off so he gets stripped instead so he never has to defend a belt.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Khabib sub's him in round three, I reckon.
Conor will have moments and there's a definite rematch booked regsrdless of winner, though if it's Conor's win, he takes another 2 years off so he gets stripped instead so he never has to defend a belt.

if i had to make a pick i would pick exactly that, khabib by soem kind of choke in the 3rd round

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/bokamotoespn/status/1039918927277568000?s=21

should be fun

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Conor has really good footwork and a decent frame, so until he gets tuckered out i can see him landing lots. He does really well against guys who try to punch into the clinch or set up a double with an overhand, so it will be interesting to see what khabib does to get in snd how well it will work. One imagines ankle picks and low singles, but we will see

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like for eddie the path to victory was circle to eddie's left, get a single or arm drag, and try to get it to the ground. He circled right and tried to stand and trade from the opening bell

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol eddie does that poo poo like clockwork, part of his charm at this point

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This will be Khabib's best opponent for sure, right? But not for Conor, since he fought Aldo and (the dumbest possible version of) Eddie. Don't think it has any affect on the fight, just an observation.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
More than any recent fight I feel this one is a coin toss and I wouldn't be able to predict a winner with any sort of certainty.

If I *had* to, Conor in round 2 by knockout, but really who the gently caress knows.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Skip My Posts posted:

i have no idea whats gonna happen. even when conor was dropping nate like 5 times and had him tired, he also faded bad and had to run to avoid exchanges in the later rounds

conor's not gonna be punching up at khabib so i think he'll hit harder. and i mean if khabib is as tough as nate i don't even know how you'd beat him.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My first inclination might be my best in that Khabib took some shots against Johnson that were worrisome and you can't do that against Conor. Gun to my head, Conor tko r2. I'm pulling for Khabib though and really hopes he ragdolls Mac around the octagon for a few rounds before ground-and-pounding him into mush. That would be my ideal ending to the fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Conor might be punching up from his back the entire fight

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Conor's last fight was also a boxing match a year ago, and he may have actually gotten crazier or is doing more drugs, so who the gently caress knows.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look forward to the post fight "X was never really that good" discussion in a few weeks.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I look forward to the post fight "X was never really that good" discussion in a few weeks.

Im posting that now about both guys if it makes you feel any better

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Wonder if Conor comes out in that wide stance. If he does, khabib wouldn't really have to put himself in the firing line to pick an ankle up.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

Wonder if Conor comes out in that wide stance. If he does, khabib wouldn't really have to put himself in the firing line to pick an ankle up.

Yeah I was thinking that too but Conor does frame up pretty well and has real nice footwork and balance.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mekchu posted:

I was waiting for conor to get wrecked during his entire march to the title. I actually put $100 on chadmoney because Conor had never faced an american trained wrestler in the UFC and I expected him to be exposed. He basically kept proving me wrong over and over until Nate choked him out, and he was able to redeem himself in the rematch.

Basically I agree with the people here that one of the people in this match are going to make it look easy while they dominate the other one, I just don't know which person.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shout out to Conor ruining the UFC and make his own once every other year fights the only good ones

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mewse posted:

I was waiting for conor to get wrecked during his entire march to the title. I actually put $100 on chadmoney because Conor had never faced an american trained wrestler in the UFC and I expected him to be exposed. He basically kept proving me wrong over and over until Nate choked him out, and he was able to redeem himself in the rematch.

Basically I agree with the people here that one of the people in this match are going to make it look easy while they dominate the other one, I just don't know which person.

i bet on chad too lol. i was thinkin it was workin out great for like the first round or so

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Conor might be punching up from his back the entire fight

maybe, yeah. hopefully, even!

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

This will be Khabib's best opponent for sure, right? But not for Conor, since he fought Aldo and (the dumbest possible version of) Eddie. Don't think it has any affect on the fight, just an observation.

Definitely Khabib’s best opponent. The thing is, Conor made Aldo and Eddie both fight in a dumb way.
Is Khabib too much of a stone cold single-minded killer, or will he too fall victim to Irish hypnosis?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like TJ wants the Cejudo fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

Definitely Khabib’s best opponent. The thing is, Conor made Aldo and Eddie both fight in a dumb way.
Is Khabib too much of a stone cold single-minded killer, or will he too fall victim to Irish hypnosis?

It's not really hypnosis when the way he fights every time plays into Conor's strengths while it's on the feet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Skip My Posts posted:

sounds like TJ wants the Cejudo fight

Easy money.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I've been making fun of Conor not defending belts since years before his most recent title stripping. At the end of the night either I'm still gonna make fun of him exactly as much for being too much a prick to defend what he wins, or I'm gonna make fun of him harder for having a new thing he won't ever defend

Good news is it seems there are less people currently under the assumption he'll defend if he wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

Easy money.

yeah i think so, sounds like they want it at 125 as well

• Locked thread