Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Another Person posted:

ming you know you gotta split your culture groups if you are going for a world conquest, right

Something from the latest patch definitely pushed Ming to start snaking out like this because I've never seen it before. They're fighting the Timurids for tribute in my current game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If I'm doing a run as timurids-mughals, what ideas are good for them these days?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It also makes you lose favors and maybe even trust?

Favors yes, trust no. It helps when you have tons of favors, if only to tell your ally to cool it down a bit. Not sure if it really makes allies more likely to join the war, as it says in the tooltip.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

If I'm doing a run as timurids-mughals, what ideas are good for them these days?

Admin and Influence and then whatever military ideas you prefer or humanist if you are having rebel issues

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I like getting both Offensive and Defensive as soon as possible for playing in that part of the world. Lower attrition and faster sieges help save you a ton of manpower. Since you can't take two military ideas in a row, Admin is good for the second group.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Something from the latest patch definitely pushed Ming to start snaking out like this because I've never seen it before. They're fighting the Timurids for tribute in my current game

Ya ditto, they've been dunking the rest of India in hell wars all game (thanks Ming!).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fister Roboto posted:

No that's something only the player can do. And all it does is make the AI unmothball their forts and raise their maintenance, and make them more likely to answer calls to arms in the next six months.

I've literally never used it.

It's the next 12 months, and it also prevents the AI from declaring any wars of its own during that time. While situational, it can be very useful. Most obviously, when your ally isn't quite willing to accept a CTA and you need a few more points to push them over the threshold. Also, when you need a few extra months to prepare before declaring on a mutual enemy and you're worried your ally will beat you to the punch, call you in against a third party, or go off on their own war and refuse to join yours when the time comes.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 12, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Firebatgyro posted:

Admin and Influence and then whatever military ideas you prefer or humanist if you are having rebel issues

I honestly don't know if influence is that worth it for Mughals, since you have 65% CCR and permaclaims everywhere. If you want to do a WC you'll pick it up eventually but I'd probably favour diplomatic ideas first for a 'normal' game, for the warscore cost reduction, especially since as an Indian nation you'll want to manually develop at least Rennaisance and Printing Press which gives you a good early game dump for your excess dip and mil points. And the removal of the admin-influence annex cost reduction policy makes Influence generally a slightly worse pick anyway.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

StashAugustine posted:

Doing this now, and I went Humanist - Diplomatic - Defensive - Exploration - Offensive (currently filling this out) and plan on getting Trade and Quantity next

Humanist is self explanatory, until they roll back the "no conversion for territories" change it's 10x better than religious, plus it helps with rebels a lot. Too bad the +2 accepted cultures is wasted as the Mughals, and as far as I can see there's no "replacement"
Diplo because the extra diplomat and +improve relation is invaluable in keeping coalitions down, which you kind of need near the start of the game when you're still not a steamroller, and the -province warscore cost helps a ton in India with those hugely developed provinces
Defensive gives you +morale, -attrition and various "lesser" things, in India Persia and Arabia you'll love the -attrition with all the jungles, mountains and deserts there. Plus if the Ottomans or Ming ever attack you, you just retreat behind some mountain forts and let them waste all their manpower there.
Exploration just because Europeans are kind of slow this run and they're still at the Cape in 1620, I'm snagging as much development as possible in the Philippines/Molucca/Malacca area, then once it start getting contested / there are only 1/1/1 shitholes left I plan to switch to another idea set
Offensive - super-generals, +discipline, +forcelimit ... good stuff for any playthrough

planning on Quantity and Trade just for quality of life reasons since I already have more than enough money and forcelimits by owning everything from Kars and Shirvan down to Oman, and everything between that and Chittagong :v: I want more merchants to steer the trade from all of india while minimizing the amount siphoned off to Africa or Russia, and a bigger forcelimit / manpower because when you're this huge, you need region-separated stacks if you wish to be effective and respond quickly to threats or opportunities.

I'm not taking Administrative since I always found it lackluster except for -core cost (which you already have plenty of as the Mughals, and all the permaclaims you get) and +5 states (at least two government reforms already give you +states as Mughals though, so eeeh...), maybe I'll get it in place of Exploration once I'm finished with colonizing and the permaclaim missions, to start taking bites out of South East Asia / Africa ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 12, 2018

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Fister Roboto posted:

No that's something only the player can do. And all it does is make the AI unmothball their forts and raise their maintenance, and make them more likely to answer calls to arms in the next six months.

I've literally never used it.

That's +20 readiness to join your war and it might be deal breaking.
(ah, others had already pointed it out)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Favors yes, trust no. It helps when you have tons of favors, if only to tell your ally to cool it down a bit. Not sure if it really makes allies more likely to join the war, as it says in the tooltip.

You're confusing my post about the toggle for not joining offensive wars with the discussion about the "prepare for war." "Prepare for war" costs 10 favors, and it gives them a +20 to their willingness of accepting a call to arms.

Telling your ally that you won't join offensive wars does not cost favors or trust, but you will not accrue favors while that is toggled. It's still something that should probably be done when your country is in the pits, but remembering that feature exists both when you want to use it and when you want to stop using it is the biggest hurdle for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I honestly don't know if influence is that worth it for Mughals, since you have 65% CCR and permaclaims everywhere. If you want to do a WC you'll pick it up eventually but I'd probably favour diplomatic ideas first for a 'normal' game, for the warscore cost reduction, especially since as an Indian nation you'll want to manually develop at least Rennaisance and Printing Press which gives you a good early game dump for your excess dip and mil points. And the removal of the admin-influence annex cost reduction policy makes Influence generally a slightly worse pick anyway.

As Mughals or any major Indian power, it pays to do anything you can to get the Ottomans as allies, and maybe Ajam or someone too. They'll sometimes offer knowledge sharing, which negates the need to develop for institutions.

But it's a real pain in the rear end how you can't request knowledge sharing and I have no idea what influences when an AI offers it or not. It seems completely arbitrary, which can be rather frustrating.

TorakFade posted:

Humanist is self explanatory, until they roll back the "no conversion for territories" change it's 10x better than religious, plus it helps with rebels a lot. Too bad the +2 accepted cultures is wasted as the Mughals, and as far as I can see there's no "replacement"

The +religious unity and +tolerance ideas are also largely wasted on Mughals, imo. Mughals already enjoy passive +4 tolerance of heathens and +20% religious unity thanks to the indian sultanate government and one of the estate options. I'm really not sure if Humanist is worth it. Once you pass that threshold of 2 for religious unity, any more is just for unrest reduction, which granted the unrest reduction across the whole set is great for conquest but I already only rarely get revolts. I'm not really a super aggro WC player though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 12, 2018

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hooooly poo poo Vijayanagar is a beast in this patch. 1500 and I’ve got all India west of Bengal without breaking a sweat.

E: and most of the way towards cape.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The +religious unity and +tolerance ideas are also largely wasted on Mughals, imo. Mughals already enjoy passive +4 tolerance of heathens and +20% religious unity thanks to the indian sultanate government and one of the estate options. I'm really not sure if Humanist is worth it. Once you pass that threshold of 2 for religious unity, the any more is just for unrest reduction, which granted the unrest reduction across the whole set is great for conquest but I already only rarely get revolts. I'm not really a super aggro WC player though.

Indian sultanate doesn't give +religious unity, not in my current game at least..? Only +3 heathen tolerance. Which is good, but still you'll have a ton of heretic Shia provinces unless you just abandon Persia / Mashriq or state and convert it all (possible, especially early on, but a pain in the rear end)

And it's still better than religious for a big empire where you literally can't convert enough provinces due to state cap (you should get it when you're Timurids and just starting out, no point in getting it late since you'll be expanding like a madman all the time), -10 years of separatism in itself is extremely valuable, it's the single idea that could carry the group on, much like Admin and -core cost.

I agree with the +religious unity being kind of useless, but every group has less-useful ideas in certain circumstances... also there's tons and tons of Shia provinces around the Timurids too, and there's not much helping with heretic tolerance, Muslim has it pretty bad to start with and Timurid is rebel hell for the first 100 years or so until you can form Mughals, so every bit helps. Maybe you could replace it later when you're so big that the +unity, +heretic tolerance and -separatism isn't much use anymore, but I end up keeping it forever in most of my runs, just to avoid having to station troops in conquered regions for 10+ years. I just HATE dealing with rebels, in any form.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

As Mughals or any major Indian power, it pays to do anything you can to get the Ottomans as allies, and maybe Ajam or someone too. They'll sometimes offer knowledge sharing, which negates the need to develop for institutions.

But it's a real pain in the rear end how you can't request knowledge sharing and I have no idea what influences when an AI offers it or not. It seems completely arbitrary, which can be rather frustrating.

The +religious unity and +tolerance ideas are also largely wasted on Mughals, imo. Mughals already enjoy passive +4 tolerance of heathens and +20% religious unity thanks to the indian sultanate government and one of the estate options. I'm really not sure if Humanist is worth it. Once you pass that threshold of 2 for religious unity, any more is just for unrest reduction, which granted the unrest reduction across the whole set is great for conquest but I already only rarely get revolts. I'm not really a super aggro WC player though.

Humanist becomes necessary as soon as you go above your state limit and don't want to micro states for conversion. Playing without it sounds super masochistic. You should be able to go without it until your 4th idea slot tough.
Admin -> Diplo -> Defensive -> Humanist is a good way to start the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Humanist becomes necessary as soon as you go above your state limit and don't want to micro states for conversion. Playing without it sounds super masochistic. You should be able to go without it until your 4th idea slot tough.
Admin -> Diplo -> Defensive -> Humanist is a good way to start the game.

Except you never have to convert anyone but heretics (shia), and there aren't all that many shia on the map.

TorakFade posted:

Indian sultanate doesn't give +religious unity, not in my current game at least..? Only +3 heathen tolerance. Which is good, but still you'll have a ton of heretic Shia provinces unless you just abandon Persia / Mashriq or state and convert it all (possible, especially early on, but a pain in the rear end)

And it's still better than religious for a big empire where you literally can't convert enough provinces due to state cap (you should get it when you're Timurids and just starting out, no point in getting it late since you'll be expanding like a madman all the time), -10 years of separatism in itself is extremely valuable, it's the single idea that could carry the group on, much like Admin and -core cost.

I agree with the +religious unity being kind of useless, but every group has less-useful ideas in certain circumstances... also there's tons and tons of Shia provinces around the Timurids too, and there's not much helping with heretic tolerance, Muslim has it pretty bad to start with and Timurid is rebel hell for the first 100 years or so until you can form Mughals, so every bit helps. Maybe you could replace it later when you're so big that the +unity, +heretic tolerance and -separatism isn't much use anymore, but I end up keeping it forever in most of my runs, just to avoid having to station troops in conquered regions for 10+ years. I just HATE dealing with rebels, in any form.

One of the estate interactions give a free, no influence required and no loyalty drop given +1 tolerance and +20% religious unity. It lasts as long as its cooldown. The end result is that you can grow as massive as you want and basically only ever have to convert shia provinces and still maintain 100% religious unity the entire time, without humanism.

edit: This, from the Brahmins.

edit 2: Honestly, the Brahmins are a poorly designed estate. The estate does practically nothing worthwhile other than Seek Legitimacy. And you're never in danger of the estate having too much influence, so the influence gain from that interaction does nothing. It's a 100% free interaction you just have to remember to do again every 20 years (with no in-game reminder). There's zero decision-making involved, it's just an annoying thing you have to remember to do. Its bonus should be a loyalty bonus from the estate or something, with its interactions actually doing interesting things that force you to make decisions.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 12, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Brahmins are useless and I just ignore them basically. By the time you can give them any significant number of provinces you should have your religious unity well under control and there’s no province they can take that I wouldn’t rather give to the Jains or Rajputs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

The Brahmins are useless and I just ignore them basically. By the time you can give them any significant number of provinces you should have your religious unity well under control and there’s no province they can take that I wouldn’t rather give to the Jains or Rajputs.

You don't have to give them a single thing to get religious unity and tolerance out of them. It's always available, no matter what. I've never given them anything though so I'm not sure if those are scaling bonuses. Even if they are, you don't need more than what they give at 0 influence.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow, that’s bizarre. Hopefully they get looked at in the next patch because right now, they’re even more forgettable than Dhimmi.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

You don't have to give them a single thing to get religious unity and tolerance out of them. It's always available, no matter what. I've never given them anything though so I'm not sure if those are scaling bonuses. Even if they are, you don't need more than what they give at 0 influence.

That's either a bug on your end or mine, because it requires 20 influence in my game. And since I moved my capital to Europe in my mughals game, I have no land to give them :)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Being able to use them without giving them land is not working as designed.

e: Ah looks like they need 20% influence which might be too low.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i haven't played in europe yet this patch but i like this dlc so far despite being sorta lukewarm on gov reforms

i really like the trade change and now that im getting a chance to fiddle with trade companies im into it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groogy posted:

Being able to use them without giving them land is not working as designed.

e: Ah looks like they need 20% influence which might be too low.

Oh right, I'm dumb and forgot the tooltip gets rid of requirements during interaction cooldowns. I've been using "seek brahmin approval" every time to to get 10 influence, and you also get 10 influence for having a hindu majority, so at least while you're mainly in india, it's as easy as I've said it was, you just have a couple extra menu clicks to do each time. I guess as you blob out, that hindu majority will go away and you'll have to give them more land, so for WCs I guess humanism is still required.

I still feel like the estate is pretty barebones for muslims and only exists to punch some extra tolerance and unity out of every 20 years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 12, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't think this event is working right.

Delhi was never captured and Junagarh is my Vassal so none of this makes any sense. Pretty sucky event to get from a bug.

e: Unless maybe it was captured and I didn't notice, but Junagarh liberated it and the liberation triggered the event? They do have troops there.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 12, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I don't have the DLC for knowledge sharing, I probably should have picked it up during that 75% sale :saddowns:

But yeah agree on Humanist ideas, you don't really need them as an Indian Sultanate or Mughals

Oh right, I'm dumb and forgot the tooltip gets rid of requirements during interaction cooldowns. I've been using "seek brahmin approval" every time to to get 10 influence, and you also get 10 influence for having a hindu majority, so at least while you're mainly in india, it's as easy as I've said it was, you just have a couple extra menu clicks to do each time. I guess as you blob out, that hindu majority will go away and you'll have to give them more land, so for WCs I guess humanism is still required.

I still feel like the estate is pretty barebones for muslims and only exists to punch some extra tolerance and unity out of every 20 years.

The new estates are generally pretty clunky feeling, I don't really like that a lot of the time I'm actively thinking that I would be better off if I just had the usual estates. For some reason they mostly give really lovely per-province bonuses, unless the estate is actively happy, with the notable exception being the vaisyas excellent 20% trade value boost.

What seems extra weird is that for a lot of the estates the bonuses are very similar to the usual bonuses given by the 'standard' estates, but reversed. For example, regular nobles give 20% manpower when neutral, and an extra 15% defensiveness when happy. Marathas give 15% defensiveness always, and an extra 33% manpower when happy. Keeping estates actively happy basically means constantly throwing new provinces at them and not getting owned by bad random events.

Jains are pretty good in spite of this since they're really easy to keep happy due to all the interactions and if you put them in an x/x/1 province they're basically giving you 0 autonomy and 33% increased taxes in exchange for reducing your force limits slightly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't think this event is working right.

Delhi was never captured and Junagarh is my Vassal so none of this makes any sense. Pretty sucky event to get from a bug.

e: Unless maybe it was captured and I didn't notice, but Junagarh liberated it and the liberation triggered the event? They do have troops there.
:stonk: 100 Devastation?!?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Last night before I quit I noticed I was suddenly hemorrhaging money as Vijayanagar and couldn't figure out why. I had just conquered a bunch of land so I figured maybe it was some unrest or war exhaustion or corruption or something but then I found the culprit. My trade income was suddenly 0 ducats a month.

Is this a bug anyone else has run into this patch? I'm hoping when I boot it up tonight the problem has resolved itself.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

It can fire when the ai liberates your province and isn't it lovely when your ally or vassal choose to plunder it. :)

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Last night before I quit I noticed I was suddenly hemorrhaging money as Vijayanagar and couldn't figure out why. I had just conquered a bunch of land so I figured maybe it was some unrest or war exhaustion or corruption or something but then I found the culprit. My trade income was suddenly 0 ducats a month.

Is this a bug anyone else has run into this patch? I'm hoping when I boot it up tonight the problem has resolved itself.

yea I ran into the same problem early in my Timurids->Mughals campaign. Was fixed by reloading.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 12, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

In my Mewar game I had 0 trade income because I stopped having a trade capital for some reason. I moved the trade capital back where it started and it was fixed.

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

James Garfield posted:

In my Mewar game I had 0 trade income because I stopped having a trade capital for some reason. I moved the trade capital back where it started and it was fixed.

Same thing happened to me, I think after one of the missions that moves your capital.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Robot Dog posted:

Same thing happened to me, I think after one of the missions that moves your capital.

Ahhh that explains it, I decided to move my capital after taking Bahmanis' because the dev cost was lower so I could seed an institution later.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Atreiden posted:

It can fire when the ai liberates your province and isn't it lovely when your ally or vassal choose to plunder it. :)

The AI knows its ABPs.

Always Be Plundering.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Atreiden posted:

AnoHito posted:

"Ally" is just another word for "Person trying to kill you more slowly."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That event can fire for you when you liberate your own cities too, and you have to make the choice to only loot and pillage your own 40 dev capitol a little bit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fister Roboto posted:

That event can fire for you when you liberate your own cities too, and you have to make the choice to only loot and pillage your own 40 dev capitol a little bit.

early modern troops, of course, never plundered cities for no reason :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

StashAugustine posted:

early modern troops, of course, never plundered cities for no reason :v:

Hey at least if they're your troops, you can send them to die fighting natives in a shithole jungle colony. gently caress them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's kind of crappy that trade companies can interfere with missions. Some other indian countrie4s have sold some provinces to the ottomans, my ally, and now I can't complete my mission tree unless I get in some huge prolonged war with them. Which on one hand, like yeah, I guess having roadblocks in your campaign is good, but that seems to run contrary to the idea that they're selling these provinces as minor mostly-neutral trade outposts and such, to bring greater prosperity to all. Instead, I got to turn on my best bud and enter into a series of lovely hell wars with a distant power if I want to progress down my mission tree. Maybe these trade company provinces should be exempt, but I dunno how paradox would differentiate between them and larger swathes of land europeans conquer and turn into TCs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When I did my Delhi->Hindustan run, SE Asia was just riddled with European shitheads. I had to fight three different wars against Tuscany because they kept just buying land.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Where's a decent place to play tall outside of Europe? Thinking lots of grassland (or provinces that are otherwise good for development cost), ideally with access to a coastline for institution spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Yemen is a good place to build a lucrative trade state and IIRC Java has lots of farm provinces.