Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet it's shock oil.

This seems likely and makes me glad I bought a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that would be a good guess. Most of the shock oil I've bought has been red for whatever reason.

Coolant can be pink but imo that's sacrilegious and if you have pink coolant you should flush it out and replace it with the superior green kind

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pink coolant is for Toyotas and Volkswagens not bikes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Small progress today. Those chain tensioners: I unseized the good one and got a new screw into it, it should be good now. The bad one is still super hosed up, I cut the head off the screw but now I can't do anything with it. I think I might have to try drilling it out. It still has a nut where the screw meets the body, so I tried hacksawing past the nut and ended up breaking my hacksaw blade. That's a first.

At that point I kinda gave up and messed with the brakes a bit more, I used a tip from a revzilla video to use the old brakepads with a prybar to open the piston. That let me get the new pads in with enough clearance to fit the rotor. I popped new pads into the front brakes as well.

Then I started looking at the rear shock -- I got the bottom unbolted and I was able to reach the top one but I think the top bolt is a two person job because I'm using half inch socket extenders on both sides and I can't really hold on to both of them to get it out. That's where I gave up for the day.

When I unbolted the bottom of the old shock it gave this wheezing sound as it decompressed a little bit, so that adds to my certainty that it's screwed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Air filter oil is often red as well, and the airbox drip tube often terminates back there, but I kinda don't think you have an over-oiled filter on that bike.

But yeah, your shock is probably toast.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Air filter oil is often red as well, and the airbox drip tube often terminates back there, but I kinda don't think you have an over-oiled filter on that bike.

But yeah, your shock is probably toast.

Son of a bitch this is exactly it, I saturated that thing with K&N air filter oil but it didn't seem designed for foam filters because it was all dripping out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ha, yeah I do that every now and then myself. I didn't realize you'd serviced the air filter already. You can try to clean it up or just roll with it. Since there's no sensors or anything inline, it's not going to be too terrible to deal with. You might suck some in the intake and have funny carburetion issues for a while, but it eventually settles out as long as you're riding often enough to keep it from accumulating in the carbs. You can also just take the filter out and whip it at the ground until no more oil slings off.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drilled out the bad chain tensioner and got a new screw into it (very happy to get this done, was feeling demoralized)

Still struggling with top bolt on rear shock. Need a 2nd half inch ratchet or something.

Reassembled the turn signal I hosed up, it's worse now but I think it will still pass safety.

Torqued the new rear sprocket to spec.

Put a coat of gloss white on the rear fender that's been sitting with primer for like 2 weeks now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good poo poo, keep it up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I remembered my torque wrench is 1/2". The rear shock is installed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

With the progress yesterday getting the rear shock in and everything I wanted to finish off the rear wheel. I got it mounted and put the chain on but I wasn't expecting the master link to be such a bitch to press on. I'm going to have to go buy a c-clamp from the hardware store because I don't own any.

Aside from that, the chain tensioners seem to work and the rotor was able to slide between the brake pads easily so re-mounting the rear wheel was fairly easy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

I wasn't expecting the master link to be such a bitch to press on. I'm going to have to go buy a c-clamp from the hardware store because I don't own any.

C-clamp trick worked amazingly well. My rear tire has a wobble, might take it to a real tire place at this point.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A wobble? Can you see it while spinning it on the center stand? It's the tire and not the rim I assume? I don't see it from scrolling back whether you took the tire off or anything. Unless the tire is just not seated in the rim properly there could be something weird going on there. Either way be careful with it, you don't want tires or wheels moving around like that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

A wobble? Can you see it while spinning it on the center stand? It's the tire and not the rim I assume? I don't see it from scrolling back whether you took the tire off or anything. Unless the tire is just not seated in the rim properly there could be something weird going on there. Either way be careful with it, you don't want tires or wheels moving around like that.

It's the tire, the same one wasn't holding air initially so I think the bead's off on like a 6 inch section, I think I just have to pull the stem and massage it into place

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Have you already lubed the bead and put a ratchet strap around the circumference while airing it up?

mewse
May 2, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Have you already lubed the bead and put a ratchet strap around the circumference while airing it up?

I will try this.

I haven't made much progress recently. I've been intimidated by replacing the fork seals. I did finish my rear left fairing and I'm pretty stoked how it turned out:

I think I'm ready to tackle the forks. This video has bolstered my confidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmYJgcGX30

Strangely, going to the hardware store and getting some 1-1/2" pvc pipe has been a sticking point. After watching this video I 3D printed a fork seal driver and eyeballing it against the new seals, I think I got the diameter correct for my forks.

I think I've got all the tools I need as well (new set of snap ring pliers).

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

This bike is coming back to life.

I need one of those bike forum "cheers" smileys here.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mewse posted:

I will try this.

I haven't made much progress recently. I've been intimidated by replacing the fork seals. I did finish my rear left fairing and I'm pretty stoked how it turned out:

That looks really sharp. Did you just sand/prime/paint, or did you have to use any body filler?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slide Hammer posted:

:cheers:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slide Hammer posted:

It's literally :cheers:. You were so close.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

That looks really sharp. Did you just sand/prime/paint, or did you have to use any body filler?

I used a tiny amount of jb weld on a tiny crack along the bottom, and epoxied a tab back on that juts out from the rear and goes under the rear seat. No body filler on this one. I am considering using body filler on one or both of the front fairings because the turn signal holes are very, very messed up.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was trying to seat the bead on the rear tire last night and the ratchet strap trick didn't work and then I somehow made it worse and the tire wouldn't hold air anymore.

I decided to throw the front wheel back on and drop it off the lift so that i could put the bike's weight on the section of rear tire that wouldn't seat.

I thought the center stand was engaged but it wasn't so when I dropped the lift the bike fell over on top of me.

Also I didn't get the rear tire fixed but I wasn't lubing the rim because I didn't know where my spray bottle was and didn't realize I could just use windex.

An embarrassing night, 2 out of 5 stars

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

mewse posted:

I thought the center stand was engaged but it wasn't so when I dropped the lift the bike fell over on top of me.

And what, neither you nor the bike broke anything?

Insufficiently embarrassing, go back and drop it again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finally got the rear tire sorted out. Tried the ratchet strap 2 more times and it didn't work. Tried rolling the bike while sitting on it to pop the beads in place, no dice.

What finally ended up working was I had my dinky 12v compressor hooked up and sprayed a ton of windex on the rim, and then massaged the tire in the spot that I could see bubbles. With help from the air pressure the tire finally popped out and seating along the bead on both sides. Very happy that's over with.

All I need to finish now is forks, brakes, and front fairings and I should be ready to take it for a safety inspection.

e: oh yeah btw there are 2 months left in the riding season so if I'm gonna ride this year I better get off my rear end :canada:

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 31, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Replaced front brake line + got first coat of primer down on the front left fairing

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I dunno about windex but dish soap should work fine next time. It's kind of impossible to have too much lube when mounting a tire, go nuts with it. Unless there's like standing liquid inside the tire, that might be too much.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno about windex but dish soap should work fine next time. It's kind of impossible to have too much lube when mounting a tire, go nuts with it. Unless there's like standing liquid inside the tire, that might be too much.

Yeah I wasted a fuckton of Windex because I didn't know where my spray bottle was to use soapy water.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mewse posted:

Yeah I wasted a fuckton of Windex because I didn't know where my spray bottle was to use soapy water.

The graybeard at the shop said to put Elmer's White glue all around the bead. It'll stay put pretty decent, and it's gentle to rubber and aluminum and will shear off with rubbing.

Great trick, works a treat on low-pressure stuff like lawnmower tires; it'll probably work on a bike tire just to get the bead seated.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m really happy that my 2003 250 came with 3500mi and my friend being a very responsible PO so i don’t have to do this. this is super interesting and totally cool and i’m glad you made a thread

mewse
May 2, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

i’m really happy that my 2003 250 came with 3500mi and my friend being a very responsible PO so i don’t have to do this. this is super interesting and totally cool and i’m glad you made a thread

Thanks. I owe this thread for telling me to do a valve adjustment, it would still be running like poo poo if I hadn't done that.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The graybeard at the shop said to put Elmer's White glue all around the bead.

Forgot I never responded to this. If I had used white glue it would have dried out because I spent so long trying to fix the problem.

e: as a progress report, I finished painting the front fairing but because I neglected to sand the primer or sand between coats it's very rough compared to the back fairing. I think if I sand what I have on it now and then repaint it should be ok.

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 8, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

e: as a progress report, I finished painting the front fairing but because I neglected to sand the primer or sand between coats it's very rough compared to the back fairing. I think if I sand what I have on it now and then repaint it should be ok.

Upon further consideration, gently caress that

e: replaced with before&after

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 9, 2018

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

that flame k is something else

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seriously! It almost annoys me more that they decided to put it on a different line than the stock decal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how the flames are blowing into the wind

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I like how the flames are blowing into the wind

That's because it's stopped and on fire on the side of the road, that's why the plastics are thrashed

mewse
May 2, 2006

I may have been able to design and print some plugs to let me mount universal 10mm turn signals on the front fairings. More details to come

mewse
May 2, 2006

:siren: the plug fits, so happy

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nice!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Man this is really coming together, looking great