Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

I too am surprised that a 24 hour kids channel is showing a kids program during those 24 hours.

so is the joke here is that youre too dumb to comprehend the notion that a target audience might not actually be watching at a given time or what

let's just air it at 3am, its a kids channel so obviously kids will be watching right hurf durf :pwn:

site fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

so is the joke here is that youre too dumb to comprehend the notion that a target audience might not actually be watching at a given time or what

let's just air it at 3am, its a kids channel so obviously kids will be watching right hurf durf :pwn:

It doesn't matter because it'll repeat at all different hours for a week or more. Kids will find it any time it airs yes. Placing it at a special time on two networks will tell you if there's any greater interest outside of the demo that's already going to be plopped in front of the TV watching it anyway. It's actually a smart move from a programming standpoint.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Let's be real, the kids are going to watch it on the App whenever they drat well please, and won't even know it's on basic cable.

I liked Vayntrub's line read of eat nuts, kick butts.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

X-O posted:

It doesn't matter because it'll repeat at all different hours for a week or more. Kids will find it any time it airs yes. Placing it at a special time on two networks will tell you if there's any greater interest outside of the demo that's already going to be plopped in front of the TV watching it anyway. It's actually a smart move from a programming standpoint.

Also keep in mind DVRs and then immediately after it's probably going to be on demand so the time of the premiere is almost completely moot. 75% of what my kid watches on TV is because its on my on-demand lineup. I don't think we've watched a show live in a few years.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ill grant that people will be watching through other venues, i was thinking about youtube and other apps for the outside demos, but i just cant square the logic of putting a premiere of a movie at 10pm. is there really an expectation that outside demos are gonna watch a marvel cartoon at 10pm on a sunday? if you dont care whats airing why not just put it in a timeslot where kids might see it incidentally if youre already depending on other demos to see it through other means.

like, looking at the schedule sunday evenings are reruns of gravity falls, guardians, ducktales and star wars rebels. they think that its gonna do worse viewership wise than reruns? thats kinda scary

site fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am advised that kids don't watch television any more - they watch YouTube.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drat millennials

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, Hush was a child sociopath who intentionally sabotaged the brake lines on his parents' car for their inheritance, but after Thomas Wayne saved his mother's life in surgery, he swore revenge on the Waynes and was irrationally jealous of Bruce that he got to have dead parents and the big inheritance while Hush was stuck caring for his now bedridden mother. Also his dad was abusive and his mom enabled the abuse, so he was super resentful of them. Eventually, despite him having spent years caring for her, his mother removes him from her inheritance and he smothers her with a pillow in a fit of rage before she can talk to her lawyer.

I like Hush, although his best story is not his debut but Dini/Nguyen's Heart of Hush, which is both a great spooky Batman story and fleshes out this backstory a little more. Hush is essentially the ultimate spoiled rich kid who just wants more, more, more and resents the people around him for having the life he feels he was owed. It's a different vibe from Black Mask. Hush's whole thing is this overweening sense of entitlement, but his backstory is substantial enough that he's not just a one note archetype.

Black Mask's backstory is similar. But not the same true.

Young Roman had really abusive parents utterly obsessed with status and their appearance. For example dropping Roman on his head as a baby and bribing the doctors never to tell a soul about it, witnessing Roman getting attacked by a rabid raccoon and not even bringing him to a hospital or getting him medical attention cause doing so could make them look bad. They also hated the Waynes, but publicly made friends and pretended to love them, to sell the image they forced young Roman to befriend Bruce. Roman hated doing this both for being forced to, and the fact that the Wayne family was much happier then his. Which started his hate of Bruce. (He also stated his despised the "Masks" his parents wore in public.) When Bruce's parents died Roman felt nothing but envy towards him for getting to live the high life without his parents restricting him.

Eventually he grew up. Became an executive in his father's cosmetic company (out of nepotism) and found love with a woman named Circe. However his parents refused to tolerate him having a relationship with someone in the working class, and ordered him to break it off. Instead he ran outside and set the house on fire in a rage. Finally freeing himself of his parents. Sadly for Roman who inherited the company he was terrible at it, and made bad decisions that nearly ruined it. The Last straw was at the end of his rope he forced his chemists and employees to send an untested product into circulation. Which disfigured a few hundred women. This ruined the company and caused Circe to break up with him. Bruce now heading his own company, decided to bail an old friend out. But Roman would have to give up total control and allow Bruce to pick a board of directors.

All of that humiliated Roman, particularly someone he had known and disliked since childhood, bailing him out. He had pretty much always disliked Bruce for being better then him, being freed from his parents earlier, having a successful business while Roman was a failure. He decided to rant about this to his parents crypt and got struck by lightning instead, which also destroyed the door to the Crypt. Heralding it as a chance at rebirth. Roman went down to his father's Ebony Coffin and smashed it with a rock, and carved his original mask out of it, taking on the criminal identity Black Mask. And it turned out that he was way way better at being a Crime boss then a business man.

He maintained the grudge against Bruce for a while in the comics, but it lost focus eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

ill grant that people will be watching through other venues, i was thinking about youtube and other apps for the outside demos, but i just cant square the logic of putting a premiere of a movie at 10pm. is there really an expectation that outside demos are gonna watch a marvel cartoon at 10pm on a sunday? if you dont care whats airing why not just put it in a timeslot where kids might see it incidentally if youre already depending on other demos to see it through other means.

like, looking at the schedule sunday evenings are reruns of gravity falls, guardians, ducktales and star wars rebels. they think that its gonna do worse viewership wise than reruns? thats kinda scary

Because of the way the consumer views these kinds of shows in 2018 one way you can gauge a reaction of people who are really invested is by doing exactly what they're doing. You know who's going to tune in at the time and watch? The people that are already most invested and excited for the show. The demo that's going to watch live on TV and sit through the commercials. They'll find out who and what that demo even is by airing it then and seeing who stays through the whole show. Your TV Y7 audience, or whatever demo, on Saturday morning though is going to be there regardless. Putting the premiere in a place like this just gives them extra data to know who is interested.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I wouldn't say "ugly" so much as "bland"

It's very...stiff. No squash and stretch, no exaggeration of physical form. In fact, it looks like they either worked out some very believable cel-shading, or they're just tracing over CGI. Especially since it's so cavalier with shifting camera angles and there's no variable line thickness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Because of the way the consumer views these kinds of shows in 2018 one way you can gauge a reaction of people who are really invested is by doing exactly what they're doing. You know who's going to tune in at the time and watch? The people that are already most invested and excited for the show. The demo that's going to watch live on TV and sit through the commercials. They'll find out who and what that demo even is by airing it then and seeing who stays through the whole show. Your TV Y7 audience, or whatever demo, on Saturday morning though is going to be there regardless. Putting the premiere in a place like this just gives them extra data to know who is interested.

I mean, i guess? I dunno i just dont really buy that theres gonna be a meaningful amount of people tuning into a 10pm sunday broadcast live for that kind of data to look for stats of types of demos watching, esp since so many people outside the children's demo use other means of watching tv, but i could very well be wrong

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

drat millennials

Millenials are in their twenties at the youngest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
everyone younger than gen-x is a millennial these days

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Millennials are anyone younger than you who does a thing you don't like

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Monaghan posted:

I really wish marvel cartoon would change their artstyle because it's just goddamn ugly to look at.

But they did? Spider-man and this have new and different art styles from the previous marvel shows and from each other.

I think the movie's looking good, and the initiation thing was pretty solid, so i'll check it out.

Also, Avengers Assemble has been retooled from Avengers' Power Point Adventures to The Black Panther Show
https://twitter.com/wyntonred/status/1038470013529649152?s=19

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now just bring back emh

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

site posted:

Now just bring back emh

The good EMH, though. Not the Loeb version from season 2.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuego Fish posted:

The good EMH, though. Not the Loeb version from season 2.

Ah, yes. The season where Loeb thought kids were to dumb for ongoing storylines.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It literally had an ongoing plot though, didn't it? With the Skrulls?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But they did? Spider-man and this have new and different art styles from the previous marvel shows and from each other.

I think the movie's looking good, and the initiation thing was pretty solid, so i'll check it out.

Also, Avengers Assemble has been retooled from Avengers' Power Point Adventures to The Black Panther Show
https://twitter.com/wyntonred/status/1038470013529649152?s=19

I like that Shuri.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I just remember them endlessly teasing Surtur then the show getting cancelled before the pay off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

The first season had a lot of story arcs, and then in the second season they teased Surtur and wen to single episode stories. They even didn't air an episode because it tied into the Surtur stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
watching venture bros for the first time and professor impossible is more real than mr fantastic imo

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

Loeb came in later in season 2 and changed stuff up. No more two-parters, everything had to be resolved in a single episode. Couldn't be confusing the kids with complex plots, so let's just do basic stuff with a moral at the end. Need to introduce characters who only exist for a single episode and never show up again. Red Hulk! Falcon! For some reason this won't be confusing for kids aaaaaaaaaand the show's cancelled.

Had to make way for Avengers Assemble, which is more in line with the movie continuity, because kids suddenly care about continuity now. That's why the show opens up with the Avengers disbanded and then fighting against MODOK.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah yes avengers assemble, the show that didnt open with a multiple episode arc about iron red skull, a multi ep arc about thanos and the infinity stones, and then an multi ep arc where red skull teams up with dracula, some atlantean and like two other guys for a cosmic cube

oh wait it did

the guys running those cartoons were a bunch of idiots

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Be fair, they were also incredibly lazy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jeph Loeb is bad at comics writing and television production. Sadly he is a comics writer and television producer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bring Back Spectacular Spider-man plz

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DC Universe is up and has Teen Titans and Legion of Superheroes in HD and widescreen, which is the first they've been available in such a way.

Already worth my money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uh... how can a show which was animated in 4:3 be available widescreen?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

because they weren't animated that way

Here is both of them compared to the more recent Death of Superman and Young Justice. They're the same. The original airings and DVD releases and even the amazon video releases of both shows were in SD format and squared off. Kids WB and Cartoon Network did this to a lot of their shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was the Legion series? You never hear anybody talk about it these days.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought it was a great, underrated gem. It tells solid stories without talking down to its audience and has a great take on exploring two different varieties of the “Superman who’s a fish out of water” thing. And it has one of the best animated takes on Brainiac of any DC I’ve seen.

Unfortunately I remember a lot of people writing it off because that incorrectly assumed it was meant to be a follow up to JLU’s (terrible) Legion episode, and that they unfairly changed it in development. That happened a lot really, DCAU fans getting angry about cartoons being made that had nothing to do with the DCAU.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

watching venture bros for the first time and professor impossible is more real than mr fantastic imo

lmao oh you are in for a treat, my friend.

Love that show.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dawgstar posted:

I don't remember it being great, but it was a solid little show. I remember that they decided to change up the show so the last season starts with a fairly grim opener.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone remember Superhero Squad? I thought it was fun, even though it was very much for a younger age set.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does anyone remember Superhero Squad? I thought it was fun, even though it was very much for a younger age set.

It has its moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

Pretty good, honestly better than pretty much any Legion comic I've ever read(which admittedly isn't much)

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a really goofy show, sometimes to it's detriment, but it pulled some surprisingly deep cuts in terms of references

Shame they killed off Reptil in the main continuity though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty good, honestly better than pretty much any Legion comic I've ever read(which admittedly isn't much)

It was a really goofy show, sometimes to it's detriment, but it pulled some surprisingly deep cuts in terms of references

Shame they killed off Reptil in the main continuity though

Did you read the X-Men Legacy series about him? I think Si Spurrier wrote it. If you haven't I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

Did you read the X-Men Legacy series about him? I think Si Spurrier wrote it. If you haven't I highly recommend it.

I think they're talking Legion of Super-Heroes because we brought up that cartoon earlier.