Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That explains velvet "cake", I guess. "Ooh, it's bland but we added RED FOOD COLORING!!!!"

Um, also several layers of cream cheese mixed with an equal volume of sugar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Um, also several layers of cream cheese mixed with an equal volume of sugar?

Wow, that sure sounds spicy! :shepface:

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

God I’m sick of this 30-something male nostalgia crap, like it was fun for a while but the more it goes on the more I agree with our old buddy Kylo Ren: “let the past die, kill it if you have to.” Burn down the loving temple and make something new out of its ashes.

I mean I'm with you, but that boat sailed 10 years ago. Our entire entertainment economy runs on 30-something nostalgia now, that's all there is and that's all that will ever be. (unless copyright law is changed then studios would have to come up with something new but that's not happening in this lifetime)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I pity Mike Stoklassa. He’s a man out of time, too old to change or grow. Yet I think it’s sweet that as cynical and nihilistic as his behavior and diet suggest he is, he still loves the pure optimism of Star Trek, and the purest expression of that optimism at that, even though late-80s Gene Roddenberry was way crazier on his best day than George Lucas coming up with Darth Icky.

I’m willing to forgive Lucas for “Darth Icky” because it seems clear in retrospect that he was just trolling and expressing his contempt for the dumbasses at LucasArts who came up with Starkiller in the first place. The rest of the Darth Icky story though is pure classic bonkers Lucas. But yeah after watching stuff like SF Debris over the years and Chaos On The Bridge, I’ve developed a newfound respect for the likes of Harve Bennet, Nicholas Meyer, and Rick Berman (of all people) for being the people who saved Star Trek... from Gene Roddenberry :stare:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m willing to forgive Lucas for “Darth Icky” because it seems clear in retrospect that he was just trolling and expressing his contempt for the dumbasses at LucasArts who came up with Starkiller in the first place. The rest of the Darth Icky story though is pure classic bonkers Lucas. But yeah after watching stuff like SF Debris over the years and Chaos On The Bridge, I’ve developed a newfound respect for the likes of Harve Bennet, Nicholas Meyer, and Rick Berman (of all people) for being the people who saved Star Trek... from Gene Roddenberry :stare:

Lucas came up with Starkiller though

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Calaveron posted:

Lucas came up with Starkiller though

They're talking about Force Unleashed, I think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Sooooo much good food the world over was originally poor food. Put a rich person in the kitchen and they'll probably do something stupid like mince Kobe beef and form it into a burger patty or cover a pizza in gold leaf.

This is a gross generalisation obviously but still

Counter-point, french culinary tradition.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

They're talking about Force Unleashed, I think.

Yes. When LucasArts was crafting the protagonist for The Force Unleashed duology (and planned multimedia franchise at that point), they asked George Lucas to come in and consult with them for greater authenticity. He was preceded into the room by a weird handler or sorts, or so the story goes, who laid out several mandates likes “Don’t tell George how you think the Force is supposed to work” and “don’t criticize or talk about the Prequels” like he was Kim Jong-Un and he’d have them executed if they angered him. So when they asked him what should Galen Marek’s official Sith name be, the two suggestions he threw out were “Darth Icky” and “Darth Insanus”—again, possibly just as a “gently caress you, I don’t give a poo poo” to them.

After Lucas went on his merry way they decided “gently caress that, let’s just call him Starkiller, we already own the rights to that name anyway.”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It'd be easier to buy "Darth Insanius" as a joke if there weren't characters like "Darth Plagueis" and "Darth Tyranus" already.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Counter-point, french culinary tradition.

Hmm - a lot of the French classics didn't exactly originate as rich people food though (at least, they weren't when they were devised). Butchers and fishmongers often made those yummy stews from the bits they couldn't easily sell off.

Of course, some things that were considered poor people's food 200 years or so ago is rich people's food now (such as lobster)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kim Justice posted:

Hmm - a lot of the French classics didn't exactly originate as rich people food though (at least, they weren't when they were devised). Butchers and fishmongers often made those yummy stews from the bits they couldn't easily sell off.

Of course, some things that were considered poor people's food 200 years or so ago is rich people's food now (such as lobster)

Yeah, delicacies like oxtail soup came from poor people literally having to try and make food out of the bit that covers an ox's rear end in a top hat

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nine-gear crow posted:

Mike and Rich ReView Mike’s hastily written one-page treatment pitch for that new Jean-Luc Picard show CBS is doing now that Les “Sweet Jesus I Hate Star Trek” Moonves has been #MeToo’d into oblivion. And it’s kinda sad and revealing, not gonna lie. It’s kind of a shame to see Mike falling so hard into backwards-looking nostalgia especially for a franchise that was all about moving ahead (Enterprise, JJTrek, and Discovery notwithstanding).

“Star Wars fans got the Millennium Falcon back twice, I want the Enterprise-D back.” I want that thing from my childhood back that makes me smile (I type as a cut-away placard of the D looms over my shoulder behind me :nyoron:) . God I’m sick of this 30-something male nostalgia crap, like it was fun for a while but the more it goes on the more I agree with our old buddy Kylo Ren: “let the past die, kill it if you have to.” Burn down the loving temple and make something new out of its ashes.

Also Mike Stoklasa hates the Enterprise-E, the most perfect starship ever designed. That makes me mad.

I’d watch that Star Trek, it sounds interesting, much more than the recent trash.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That explains velvet "cake", I guess. "Ooh, it's bland but we added RED FOOD COLORING!!!!"

Hey, I like red velvet cakes :smith:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5gqbJ-6m0

I'm a bit astonished that EA is willing to dig in its heels so strongly on this, it makes me want to see them get smashed by the full force of the law.

Also it was pretty hilarious when 2K tried to mobilize it's 'fanbase' to fight for the right of lootboxes in their games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Darth Walrus posted:

They do, but rationing during and after World War II did make a fair number of ingredients (particularly imported ones) difficult or impossible to get, which had a significant adverse effect on the national diet. That said, British food is far from universally terrible - we do a damned good pie, and a well-prepared Sunday roast is delicious.

Yeah, I think it had to do with rationing. The topic came up because of some recipe that was shared which consisted of bread or toast that was soaked in something, or had some really odd spread on it.

EDIT: Oh, it was in regards to stuff like toast sandwiches, fairy bread, and water sandwiches, and how they did that kind of stuff to make bread that was old or stale more edible.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 12, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. When LucasArts was crafting the protagonist for The Force Unleashed duology (and planned multimedia franchise at that point), they asked George Lucas to come in and consult with them for greater authenticity. He was preceded into the room by a weird handler or sorts, or so the story goes, who laid out several mandates likes “Don’t tell George how you think the Force is supposed to work” and “don’t criticize or talk about the Prequels” like he was Kim Jong-Un and he’d have them executed if they angered him. So when they asked him what should Galen Marek’s official Sith name be, the two suggestions he threw out were “Darth Icky” and “Darth Insanus”—again, possibly just as a “gently caress you, I don’t give a poo poo” to them.

After Lucas went on his merry way they decided “gently caress that, let’s just call him Starkiller, we already own the rights to that name anyway.”

the one story thats makes me "mad" is the star wars 1313 game. it was gonna be lucasarts last hurrah and they has the game almost done with a new original protagonist and its about to be shown at e3. then lucas comes in and says, "make him boba fett". so they do and they make up all this poo poo at e3 and the games drowns in the remake session because they had to remake the full game. he also did similar to the darth maul game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

what did he want to do? i have never really heard much bad about roddenberry outside some alleged stuff but that's it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what did he want to do? i have never really heard much bad about roddenberry outside some alleged stuff but that's it.

Lunatic sex stuff mostly. The whole series would have been like that one episode where Wesley gets the death penalty for stepping on a daisy and everyone is mostly nude and runs everywhere and loves to gently caress, even the kids.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

As for actual content, MarsReviews did a video on Xiaolin Showdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4G2j0PW2I

That was a good review. I didn't watch a lot of it because I thought the heroes were annoying. Jack Spicer was sick, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

khwarezm posted:

I'm a bit astonished that EA is willing to dig in its heels so strongly on this, it makes me want to see them get smashed by the full force of the law.

Also it was pretty hilarious when 2K tried to mobilize it's 'fanbase' to fight for the right of lootboxes in their games.

I think the difference with the EA sports games is that people actuallly REALLY love the Ultimate Team in those games like its loving huge but it goes under reported (and when it is reported on, "gamers" and the "hardcore" don't care because lol sports games).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Generally speaking, rich people food seems to consist primarily of getting the most bonkers expensive stuff and putting it together in pretty ways, while poor people food is "How many ways can I prepare buttholes and vermin so that it doesn't taste like buttholes and vermin, and also I don't lose the will to live from having to eat only one goddamn thing forever?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ferengi with gigantic, highly visible dongs and clothing meant to emphasize their crotch.

This was later reduced to them wielding a dildo shaped whip.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ferengi with gigantic, highly visible dongs and clothing meant to emphasize their crotch.

This was later reduced to them wielding a dildo shaped whip.

They were arguably less of an antisemetic stereotype in the first season, but also just like weird howling cavemen.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

khwarezm posted:

Im reminded of all those stories about nothing being illegal to rich folks - they just have to pay for the privilege.

I'm guessing that EAs lawyers have already figured out that the fine they'll receive from this is negligible compared to the monet loot boxes will bring in.

This isn't them 'making a stand'. This is them not caring.

Caveat: this is conjecture. I usually don't know what I'm talking about :downs:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lunatic sex stuff mostly. The whole series would have been like that one episode where Wesley gets the death penalty for stepping on a daisy and everyone is mostly nude and runs everywhere and loves to gently caress, even the kids.

what the gently caress. i mean i knew he was pretty progressive but never knew he was into free love/gently caress stuff. i mostly watched the originals and the next gen. need to watch deep space nine and voyager. think all the movies are hit or miss outside wrath of khan.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the dude made the naked now how on earth did that not clue you in

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I can just imagine the nightmare it must have been as a producer trying to navigate Roddenberry with that kind of poo poo and still make something that could be shown on network television back in the late 80s.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

need to watch...voyager

also no, you absolutely do not need to do this. in fact i implore you not to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress. i mean i knew he was pretty progressive but never knew he was into free love/gently caress stuff. i mostly watched the originals and the next gen. need to watch deep space nine and voyager. think all the movies are hit or miss outside wrath of khan.

I think 6 is probably almost as strong as 2.

And I will always love 4 for just how silly it was willing to be.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mokinokaro posted:

I think 6 is probably almost as strong as 2.

And I will always love 4 for just how silly it was willing to be.

star trek 6 is actually superior to 2 :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trek in general gets markedly better after Roddenberry dies and Maurice Hurley is fired as a writer. DS9 starts out real bland then gets crazy good in its mid-late run. And Voyager starts off decent but never really capitalizes on its premise to its full potential and reaches a quality plateau for most of its run as Rick Berman and Brannon Braga start to burn the gently caress out heading into Enterprise after doing Trek for nearly 15 years at that point while Les Moonves squirrels away behind the scenes on his yearslong campaign to finally kill Star Trek for good in between his regular job of being TV's Harvey Weinstein in terms of sexually abusing and then destroying the careers of women in the industry.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

voyager was not decent. voyager absolutely loving sucked outside of a few good episodes here and there. it's the worst star trek, i'd rather watch season 1 of next generation.

VVV the post originally said voyager 'was decent', he edited it while i was writing my post to 'started out decent', making me look like a dumbass, as if i needed help there.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 12, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean they said it "started out" decent, one episode is a start. It just immediately proved it wouldn't do anything with its premise and had no ambitions beyond being More TNG.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh yeah, check out his failed 70s pilot Genesis II, where the heroes have to infiltrate a BDSM dungeon that the villains use to make people into their slaves:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

And check out his failed 70s pilot Planet Earth, where John Saxon has to infiltrate a fiendish matriarchal society where a young(er) Dr. Pulaski from TNG is head dominatrix and tortures helpless men into becoming her slaves. Also, the plot summary on the back of the dvd case literally calls her a dominatrix, so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(film)

Also John Saxon saves the day by loving her so good that she decides men are her equal.

Science fiction and super-pervy weird stuff didn’t really decouple until the internet had been around for a while.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Was Maurice Hurley the guy behind the planet full of sexist black people?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, check out his failed 70s pilot Genesis II, where the heroes have to infiltrate a BDSM dungeon that the villains use to make people into their slaves:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

And check out his failed 70s pilot Planet Earth, where John Saxon has to infiltrate a fiendish matriarchal society where a young(er) Dr. Pulaski from TNG is head dominatrix and tortures helpless men into becoming her slaves. Also, the plot summary on the back of the dvd case literally calls her a dominatrix, so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(film)

Also John Saxon saves the day by loving her so good that she decides men are her equal.

Science fiction and super-pervy weird stuff didn’t really decouple until the internet had been around for a while.

Are you saying they’re decoupled now?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rich people food is trash more concerned about being expensive and impressing dumb assholes who wanna pay $10000 for two bites of food than being good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

Was Maurice Hurley the guy behind the planet full of sexist black people?

No, as far as I know that is just a story that Katharyn Powers recycled multiple times. She also used the same plot outline for her episode on Stargate SG1 where Carter is kidnapped by the planet of sexist rapist Mongols.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In non-sex stuff Roddenberry really wanted to kill JFK and pitched multiple movies based on things like Spock killing JFK to save the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of people praise DS9. I haven't watched much of it, but it goes in different direction compared to TNG.

From what I remember, didn't Roddenberry also screw the theme song composer out of half the royalties or something like that?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In non-sex stuff Roddenberry really wanted to kill JFK and pitched multiple movies based on things like Spock killing JFK to save the timeline.

Ohmygod, are you serious? :vince:

"Captain, it would be highly illogical to think that I was the one who fired that phaser. My results indicate that the phaser blast seems to originate from the grassy knoll. Perhaps if we were to refer to Ensign Zapruder's hologram simulation, we may be able to use multi-modal reflecting to determine the triangulation of crossfire."

I'm sorry.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 13, 2018