Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm only halfway through the first episode of season 11 and I'm already super super sick of Cleen and Christian constantly sniping at each other. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea it's going to be a long season of that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm so so disappointed Mr arrogant made the cut.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm always surprised at the contestants that only do one kind of tattooing; the watercolor only dickfish lady for example. What is their train of thought "oh I guess I'll just do my first ever American traditional tattoo in a competition"

It seems counter productive.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm so so disappointed Mr arrogant made the cut.

I was seriously hoping he would just go home first day. At least absolutely no one wants him there so I can’t see him getting much support to stay in it.

Also, do not come on this show if you have never done a Japanese tattoo!!! How does this keep happening every season?

I can’t stand either of these guys but I’m rooting for Cleen because he did not make anyone cry...yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fru Fru posted:

I was seriously hoping he would just go home first day.

I was kind of hoping he would get a second harsh review and cry

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, no one in the teams seems to be all that fun to watch and Christian & Cleen are still annoying so I'm tempted to just drop this season and wait for the next round of Ink Master Angels to start up.

On the other hand, it's IMA's fault that we have to put up with Austin in the main show so I guess we can pass some of the blame on to Ryan Ashley for losing to him in the first place. Although it was pretty funny when Cleen's team went "Hey why don't we nominate Austin ha ha no really" :v:

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Although it was pretty funny when Cleen's team went "Hey why don't we nominate Austin ha ha no really" :v:

I have a feeling this won’t be the last time that happens.

I also thought about skipping this season cause Christian just keeps getting worse but I like some of the artists and I do wanna see Austin get destroyed eventually so there’s still something in it for me.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm loving how Christian is all "I'm the best coach, I'm super loyal and I will love you forever" and then moments later is telling his own team members they are terrible.

Also "Steampunk tree clock" was pretty terrible. Was the canvas unmovable in design or did he just not want to tattoo numbers?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Gotta say, I'm impressed with how effectively team cleen obtained the skull pick, took their shot, and succeeded massively right from the starting line.

Cleen has always struck me as a pretty smart tattoo nerd who likes to act tough. Christian just seems like a guy who's intimidated by other tattooers and uses the tough guy thing as a shield.

I'm sure the folks who've actually met them probably see a different side altogether though. Both of them are very much playing up a television persona at this point.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cleen is a really good artist and is in general better than Christian but he’s still pretty good. It’s all an act but Christian’s act is being an annoying poo poo so when he gets his poo poo kicked in by a Cleen it’s gonna be good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The worst part is I remember actually liking Christian in his original season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Gotta give it to Austin, he did an acceptable too this week

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Would have made a new thread, but my laptop died and I've just now gotten a new one.

Team Cleen definitely seems like the stronger team overall, but anybody can draw a bad canvas, as Tiara did. She really got screwed compared to the other two.

Remember Cleen has lost this show [*]three[/*] times. It'd be pretty demoralizing if he lost a fourth. Then again, Christian's lost twice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OmegaBR posted:

Would have made a new thread, but my laptop died and I've just now gotten a new one.

Team Cleen definitely seems like the stronger team overall, but anybody can draw a bad canvas, as Tiara did. She really got screwed compared to the other two.

Remember Cleen has lost this show [*]three[/*] times. It'd be pretty demoralizing if he lost a fourth. Then again, Christian's lost twice.

Yeah I was sad to see tiara go out on that when jp has put in two bad tattoos. I get the feeling he will be that guy who hangs around too long by always being second worst. Nothing rubs me the wrong way more than someone who refuses to take advice from their coach. Do you want to win or shelter your ego?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I was sad to see tiara go out on that when jp has put in two bad tattoos. I get the feeling he will be that guy who hangs around too long by always being second worst. Nothing rubs me the wrong way more than someone who refuses to take advice from their coach. Do you want to win or shelter your ego?

Well guess not! I can’t believe Teej didn’t go home off that tattoo, it was so ugly.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Why did he argue that he didn't have time to add more contrast because the client tapped out? Does he have some magic technology that lets you remove black ink from a completely black tattoo to create greys and skinbreaks?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Did anyone that had to tattoo on a butt actually tattoo on a butt?

I’m not super familiar with Ink Master; can anyone give me a quick run-down of why Cleen and Christian have so much animosity? I’m guessing they had a bad rivalry in a previous season, but is there anything more to it than that?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m not super familiar with Ink Master; can anyone give me a quick run-down of why Cleen and Christian have so much animosity? I’m guessing they had a bad rivalry in a previous season, but is there anything more to it than that?

Theyre just two loudmouthed dudes who are both pretty drat good artists and really seem to enjoy hamming it up for the camera. The animosity is fake as all hell and is totally for the show. Every now and then you can catch a glimpse of the two of em laughing about something in the background or just being chummy.

Also I bet these two had some of the most audience cheers/jeers aside from maybe St. Marq or Kelly and Ryan.

As for this weeks episode. Goddam Tiffer!

"Better fix those knees up so you can carry us"
Lmao

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Season 7 featured new artists taking on veterans of the show. Christian was a new artist, and quickly established himself as the "master strategist," while Cleen was a former runner up in season 5. They naturally clashed due to being two of the stronger artists on the show. In the end, they both made it to the finale (where three artists compete for the title of Ink Master,) but both lost to another contestant, Anthony Michaels.

The rivalry was reignited somewhat in season 9, Shop Wars, when Cleen and another veteran artist of Golden Skull Tattoo in Las Vegas (so named after the golden skulls the show uses to hide the names of artists during canvas selections,) competed against, among others, Christian and his artist from Basilica Tattoo, also located in Vegas. Golden Skull came in fifth, while Basilica made it to the finale, but ended up third.

So essentially you have Cleen Rock One, who has lost the competition three times, and Christian, who has lost twice, and both are very excellent artists with shops in Vegas and big mouths/egos. Hence the perfect set up for the season.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

More like they need one of them to win so they can stop bringing at least one of them back each season.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
For a second there I thought Austin was gonna skate by again. Good riddance.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cleen got robbed on the wolf tattoo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked Christians better whatever I’m just glad they got rid of Austin cause he was baaaaad. They literally had to tell him how to do basic tattoo things.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Right now they are weeding out the people who lack the talent to win and the order they go home doesn't concern me but I feel like the artists this season are better overall than previous seasons.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hate that they dissed Jimmy's tattoo. Pinup doesn't have to mean "male sex fantasy" and his tattoo looked like a beautiful woman with a less hip-y body type.

I don't think his piece had more technical issues than some of the others so I can't help but feel it came down to the drawing not hitting female beauty stereotypes.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

I hate that they dissed Jimmy's tattoo. Pinup doesn't have to mean "male sex fantasy" and his tattoo looked like a beautiful woman with a less hip-y body type.

I don't think his piece had more technical issues than some of the others so I can't help but feel it came down to the drawing not hitting female beauty stereotypes.

Yeah I thought that was weird. His tattoo looked fine to me but overall I am not a fan of the brothers so I’m ok with this.

I thought it was nice for Turk to get tattoo of the day because he’s actually listening to advice. Imagine that!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fru Fru posted:

Yeah I thought that was weird. His tattoo looked fine to me but overall I am not a fan of the brothers so I’m ok with this.

I thought it was nice for Turk to get tattoo of the day because he’s actually listening to advice. Imagine that!

Yeah turks tattoo was excellent

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Amanda’s was busted but whatever she’s going soon.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Amanda’s was busted but whatever she’s going soon.

This whole season is whatever because I can’t see anyone other than Tiffer winning.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
The thing I hate most about this whole stupid show (that I love to watch) is how they dress the contestants. I'm sure tiffer doesn't feel the need to wear at least one piece of checkered clothing at all times, but they decided that's his gimmick and they're sticking to it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
They're building his brand.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo but that "Can you match the opposing coach at their own game?" challenge was a wash.

The answer is: no. No they cannot. Not any of them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
At least we learned that turk can actually do a good tattoo if he can do his personal style. But I dunno why he thought he could do this show with no versatility.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Fair enough, But Turk stepped it up last week and took the judges' advice to heart so there is hope yet.

Tiffer is the kind of guy I want tattooing me. Nice enough to look at and probably funny to chat with. Also, good at tattooing. He seems like the one person who was cast for their skill as opposed to their, erm, "personality."

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Bullet Proof posted:

The thing I hate most about this whole stupid show (that I love to watch) is how they dress the contestants. I'm sure tiffer doesn't feel the need to wear at least one piece of checkered clothing at all times, but they decided that's his gimmick and they're sticking to it

Half the contestants have manufactured personalities and nicknames they gave themselves so I'm pretty sure it's their own wardrobe.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Mob posted:

Half the contestants have manufactured personalities and nicknames they gave themselves so I'm pretty sure it's their own wardrobe.

Pretty sure it is standard for reality TV. Vest guy always wears vests, so that you can remember he is vest guy between commercial breaks, and affliction t-shirt rear end in a top hat probably wore an affliction t-shirt to the casting call, but Wardrobe decided he was Affliction T-shirt rear end in a top hat.

The one that tore it for me was that guy who they dressed like an enormous toddler, in primary color t-shirts and bibs, for an entire season. I was willing to believe that vest guy and affliction t-shirt rear end in a top hat were real, but bibs guy? Naaah.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slo-Tek posted:

The one that tore it for me was that guy who they dressed like an enormous toddler, in primary color t-shirts and bibs, for an entire season. I was willing to believe that vest guy and affliction t-shirt rear end in a top hat were real, but bibs guy? Naaah.

Chris Blinston? Yeah I just did a GIS on his name and he's wearing those dorky overalls in every single screenshot from Ink Master but when I scrolled through dozens and dozens of photos of him in real life I never saw him wearing them once. :v:

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure it is standard for reality TV. Vest guy always wears vests, so that you can remember he is vest guy between commercial breaks, and affliction t-shirt rear end in a top hat probably wore an affliction t-shirt to the casting call, but Wardrobe decided he was Affliction T-shirt rear end in a top hat.

Ohhhh my god I never made the enormous toddler connection but that’s so correct. I’m dying. :lol:

I’m pretty sure Ryan only wears like three colors in real life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like 99% of reality shows are scripted so this wouldn’t be surprising.