Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the female ferret thing is only if you don't get them spayed though. It has something to do with a buildup of hormones but if they've been fixed then they no longer produce them.

But yeah there's a reason why 90% of pets are either cats or dogs. There are a lot of animals that fall under the category of "tame" but not "domesticated".

Ferrets have also been horrifically inbred by industry groups that only provide fixed animals and are prone to all sorts of diseases because of said genetic mismanagement, with little option for someone to try to breed a more resilient or domesticated line.

Which is sad, because (your friend's) ferts are awesome fun meat slinkies to play with :stoat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yeah rabbits require more effort than the author knows here too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Horses should be lower on fun. You gotta be a dedicated horse person with a big ol' plot of land to really enjoy a horse. Ideally with a giant stack of cash, and someone else to shovel the manure.
What you're describing is what I would consider effort. Horses should be very high on the effort scale because you need all that poo poo. And they are- comparable to babies on the chart. That more or less checks out from what I know of my horse owning aunt. And in terms of fun, if you put all that effort in (including land and poo poo) you get to ride the horse. I'm not a horse person by any means, but I can understand how that fact might rate them highly on the "fun" scale.

If there's anything on this chart I'd nitpick it's how difficult cats are. Put out food, deal with their litter, give them something to scratch and you're set. Some cats have more needs, but in my experience your usual healthy lazy cat requires very little. I had a lot more trouble with my attempt at keeping pet rabbit than I've ever had with a cat.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the context of pets, money can be used as a substitute for effort.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bongo Bill posted:

In the context of pets, money can be used as a substitute for effort.

That's true for almost everything, though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Alkydere posted:

Horses should be lower on fun. You gotta be a dedicated horse person with a big ol' plot of land to really enjoy a horse. Ideally with a giant stack of cash, and someone else to shovel the manure.

Eiba posted:

What you're describing is what I would consider effort. Horses should be very high on the effort scale because you need all that poo poo. And they are- comparable to babies on the chart. That more or less checks out from what I know of my horse owning aunt. And in terms of fun, if you put all that effort in (including land and poo poo) you get to ride the horse. I'm not a horse person by any means, but I can understand how that fact might rate them highly on the "fun" scale.

You also need an abundance of ant traps. This cannot be overstated.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live in a horsie area and it costs maybe £100 a month to keep a horse here, still got to keep the field poo poo free though.

The horse itself costs £0-£10,000,000 depending on quality.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You also need an abundance of ant traps. This cannot be overstated.

Poor ol' Freckles

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Poor ol' Freckles

thought of ants and died?

it seems silly

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmao @ the STEM fields

I'm pretty surprised by English, the Classics and Religion being that high up on the list, tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Biology beating philosophy is good, but geoscience most exceeded my expectations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Biology beating philosophy is good, but geoscience most exceeded my expectations.

Republicans just don't have the stones to get into geoscience.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

System Metternich posted:

lmao @ the STEM fields

I'm pretty surprised by English, the Classics and Religion being that high up on the list, tho

Does no one in America think it's weird that you guys register your political preferences in advance? I'm surprised by Religion, which I assume they mean Theology, I would have thought you'd have had a bunch of Christian Republican scholars there.

Still even in the STEM fields Republicans are still vastly outnumbered.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Aramoro posted:

Does no one in America think it's weird that you guys register your political preferences in advance? I'm surprised by Religion, which I assume they mean Theology, I would have thought you'd have had a bunch of Christian Republican scholars there.

Still even in the STEM fields Republicans are still vastly outnumbered.

Party registration is important for our primary election system, but also those figures are probably self reported rather than actually checking registration.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Party registration is important for our primary election system.

But why? Like don't you just get to rock up and vote for whoever?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aramoro posted:

Does no one in America think it's weird that you guys register your political preferences in advance?

I asked that once, myself.

I think it's to do with the bullshit of the electoral college.

But, yeah, it still weirds me out, too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Conservatives have no interest in learning about their religion

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Aramoro posted:

It depends on the state. In many states you have to register as a member of a political party to vote in their primary election, where the candidates for most offices are chosen. For the general election it doesn't matter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aramoro posted:

Do you understand the distinction between primary and general elections? Because you can absolutely just walk up to vote without registering for a party in the latter, while the former varies by state. Most of Israel's parties require you to register to vote in their primaries, too (if they have primaries at all), and unlike in the US, they actually charge dues. This isn't some magical American thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

And this all is why party registration is a rubbish metric because to have party registration you need to be engaged in politics enough to care about primary elections.

It's often used as a lazy short-hand for political beliefs instead of actually researching political beliefs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shut up about politics and post more terrible graphs and charts.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Not to mention that in a city like, say, Baltimore, you can agree right on down the line with Republican ideals, but there are too few actual Repubs in the city to get anyone elected. So you register with the Democrats anyway and just vote for he most Republican candidate running for the Democratic nomination.

I apologize that this was not a terrible graph.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

And this all is why party registration is a rubbish metric because to have party registration you need to be engaged in politics enough to care about primary elections.

It's often used as a lazy short-hand for political beliefs instead of actually researching political beliefs.

True, but I'm looking at the article the data is from and the author says that altogether 76.6% of his sample of 8,688 professors from 51 colleges all over the US were registered with a political party or as independent, so at least for his focus group of tenured, PhD-holding professors at leading liberal arts colleges his results should be representative.

The author also seems to be on the "They're discriminating against us by not employing racist nutcases! :qq:" side (fake edit: and after looking at his personal blog: boy, is he ever) and in the article's text deliberately tries to make the Republican numbers appear even lower, so keep that in mind I guess.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lmao @ the STEM fields

Yeah they only have five times as many Democrats

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The important thing to get from that graph is that Republicans are just dumb as poo poo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you understand the distinction between primary and general elections? Because you can absolutely just walk up to vote without registering for a party in the latter, while the former varies by state. Most of Israel's parties require you to register to vote in their primaries, too (if they have primaries at all), and unlike in the US, they actually charge dues. This isn't some magical American thing.

Using Israel as an example of something not being a weird American thing doesn't really work. Primaries themselves are an American thing, like they were invented in America in that form. Obviously other countries copy the idea from America, but they are an American thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aramoro posted:

Using Israel as an example of something not being a weird American thing doesn't really work. Primaries themselves are an American thing, like they were invented in America in that form. Obviously other countries copy the idea from America, but they are an American thing.

I guess if you really think about it, Democracy is a weird American thing that other countries copied ideas from.

In the US, there's no proportional representation in parliamentary bodies, everything is all or nothing (except with Maine's electoral college votes).

If one candidate gets 20% and eight others get 10% each, the 20% wins it all. Primaries are our (poor) solution to narrow the field to a small number of candidates.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess if you really think about it, Democracy is a weird American thing that other countries copied ideas from.

In the US, there's no proportional representation in parliamentary bodies, everything is all or nothing (except with Maine's electoral college votes).

If one candidate gets 20% and eight others get 10% each, the 20% wins it all. Primaries are our (poor) solution to narrow the field to a small number of candidates.

It’s amazing what they got right and what’s still around despite clearly not being ideal

Single Transferable Vote now

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

lmao @ the STEM fields

sample size: 5100 at a random college in new york

communications majors interviewed: 2700

lmao

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

lmao
It's faculty members, pretty sure there aren't 5100 faculty members at Brooklyn College.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

lmao

You might wanna read that again, the study looked at ~8,700 tenured professors in 51 colleges all over the US, ~5,100 of whom were registered with either the Democrats or the GOP, and of those registered professors 108 taught communications

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah they only have five times as many Democrats

tbf that study covers only those colleges the author deemed to be "elite" and full of the dreaded ~liberal slant~, I shudder to think what the engineering department in your random state university in Bumfuck, Alabama looks like

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

tbf that study covers only those colleges the author deemed to be "elite" and full of the dreaded ~liberal slant~, I shudder to think what the engineering department in your random state university in Bumfuck, Alabama looks like
Full on Stalinist-Hoxhaist commies, of course!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Piell posted:

The important thing to get from that graph is that Republicans are just dumb as poo poo

Alternative model: People who are dumb as poo poo tend to be republicans

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, working class people really shouldn't have the right to vote.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why does that one arrow go back?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Why does that one arrow go back?

People going gently caress this and leaving science?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Sulphagnist posted:

I think most states require you to pick a party (or just go independent) at the time you register regardless of whether you intend to vote in a primary or not.

It might be worth noting here that primaries are a relatively recent invention. Up until the 70s nominees were selected by convention delegates which gave party big shots a lot of control. After the 1968 Democratic convention turned into a giant shitshow states started instituting systems to popularly elect pledged delegates. As stupid as they can be they're actually a step forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think most states require you to pick a party (or just go independent) at the time you register regardless of whether you intend to vote in a primary or not.

It might be worth noting here that primaries are a relatively recent invention. Up until the 70s nominees were selected by convention delegates which gave party big shots a lot of control. After the 1968 Democratic convention turned into a giant shitshow states started instituting systems to popularly elect pledged delegates. As stupid as they can be they're actually a step forward.

the Presidents thread has a bunch of interesting stories of the stories behind how many presidents got elected. Before the primary system, sometimes they'd literally get chosen because there were two popular candidates and candidate number 3 didn't have any enemies.