Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

tentawesome posted:

Tickets to a movie and some musicals

Tonight:

Next month:

February:

Next August:

uh sup fellow phx goon?

going to those same musicals in the same months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Tempe! And nice. I saw Book of Mormon a few years ago when I was poor had nosebleed seats, liked it a lot. Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies so I'm excited.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mu Zeta posted:

Bought an All-Clad stainless steel triply ply pan for $70 on Amazon. Normally goes for $100.

Nice! I got to use my sister's All-Clad stuff when I visited her and now I want some stuff when I move back to Oregon.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

tentawesome posted:

Tempe! And nice. I saw Book of Mormon a few years ago when I was poor had nosebleed seats, liked it a lot. Aladdin is one of my favorite Disney movies so I'm excited.

we had like 13th row at book of mormon last year and it was loving fantastic so good choice, gammage owns

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

we had like 13th row at book of mormon last year and it was loving fantastic so good choice, gammage owns

I saw BOM in the worst possible seat and it was still excellent!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I saw it 4rth center.

I would have enjoyed it just as much from the back and had an extra $100 in my pocket.

I always forget how on broadway there’s barely a bad seat in the house.

Saw Carousel from the last row and it was great.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My dad saw it, and in his gruff 65 year old man opinion, "it's such high potential but there is nothing funny about that setting. They should have done... Mormons go to Las Vegas, or New York City! Heh, oh man, can you imagine!"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Finally bought an electric mower. I'd tried to hold off until my forever old Troy Bilt died but it won't quit. I was going to get the $549 self propelled model with a 7.5Ah battery but last night I wandered out and saw this non self propelled model with a 5Ah battery on clearance for$369. I figured I can do without the extra ~20 minute run time and having to push it isn't a problem seeing as I already do that. Especially if it saves me nearly $200. Having to recharge in the middle kinda sucks but I can mitigate it since I already have an EGO leaf blower that I can borrow the battery from and it'll actually force me to take a water break or something.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dad saw it, and in his gruff 65 year old man opinion, "it's such high potential but there is nothing funny about that setting. They should have done... Mormons go to Las Vegas, or New York City! Heh, oh man, can you imagine!"

imagine if they'd gone to orlando LOL

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Finally bought an electric mower. I'd tried to hold off until my forever old Troy Bilt died but it won't quit. I was going to get the $549 self propelled model with a 7.5Ah battery but last night I wandered out and saw this non self propelled model with a 5Ah battery on clearance for$369. I figured I can do without the extra ~20 minute run time and having to push it isn't a problem seeing as I already do that. Especially if it saves me nearly $200. Having to recharge in the middle kinda sucks but I can mitigate it since I already have an EGO leaf blower that I can borrow the battery from and it'll actually force me to take a water break or something.

I have an electric mower and it's pretty great but holy poo poo it uses so much torque if your grass is even remotely wet. Definitely make sure the other battery is good to go at all times.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

A self propelled would have died sooner even with the bigger battery. You made a good choice, work those legs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They're so light (mostly poly construction) that I don't really mind not having self-propelled.

I think my only major complaint is the side discharge chute was apparently designed by a not-so-good high school engineering intern. Unless you're cutting a quarter inch or less its very clog-prone since it both turns the clippings 90 degrees and gets narrower as it goes.

I have the line trimmer which came with a 2 AH battery. It...works for the mower, but I don't think I've ever been able to wring more than 20 minutes out of it before it dies. If you have a particularly large yard you may want to look into acquiring a second 5 AH battery at some point down the road.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Geoj posted:

They're so light (mostly poly construction) that I don't really mind not having self-propelled.

I think my only major complaint is the side discharge chute was apparently designed by a not-so-good high school engineering intern. Unless you're cutting a quarter inch or less its very clog-prone since it both turns the clippings 90 degrees and gets narrower as it goes.

I have the line trimmer which came with a 2 AH battery. It...works for the mower, but I don't think I've ever been able to wring more than 20 minutes out of it before it dies. If you have a particularly large yard you may want to look into acquiring a second 5 AH battery at some point down the road.

It takes me about ~90 minutes to do my yard. So I figure I can mow until it dies, put it on the charger, pop in the small battery, run it until it dies, go in the house and down a bottle of water, screw around on my phone for a few minutes, finish with the other battery while the small one charges, and then recharge when I'm done.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I got one of them new fangled OLED Displays :v:

Someone asked me if it was going to show old cigarette commercials that appeal to kids, which has me wanting to make a Joe Cool vs Marlboro Man tiny fighting game inside a cigarette box.

But I am going to use these for room readouts on temp/humidity. They will tie back into a larger touchscreen thermostat to control AC. All controlled by a phone app.

Also some other components for Home automation/security

4x
4x
2x
4x

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 10, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So are you a programming whizz or what?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Pi is fun. ESP8266 is fun. Home automation is fun. How are you handling power? Just skinny black cords running down walls?

Also, programming this stuff is great Babby's First Project level stuff. If I can do it, anyone can.

How are you handling communication? Pi polls 8266 with sensor, 8266 responds? Or 8266 with sensor just shouts into the void regardless of whether or not anyone's listening?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Sexual Lorax posted:

shouts into the void regardless of whether or not anyone's listening

but enough about your posting

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sexual Lorax posted:

Pi is fun. ESP8266 is fun. Home automation is fun. How are you handling power? Just skinny black cords running down walls?

Also, programming this stuff is great Babby's First Project level stuff. If I can do it, anyone can.

How are you handling communication? Pi polls 8266 with sensor, 8266 responds? Or 8266 with sensor just shouts into the void regardless of whether or not anyone's listening?

Yeah I am in no ways a programming wiz, more of a reverse engineer others code till it works for me. Its a lot of researching code libraries and then piecing it all together.

As for the communication I have been playing with Blynk and like it a lot. Easy app to use and it provides a lot of function from video streams to alerts on phone. I am also putting together a server to host Blynk on as well as the Pi communication and camera streams.

For outdoor power I am toying with the idea of small solar panels and battery backups since the sensors don't need much, indoors will probably run them through the walls to outlets. But then again I said that about my A/V cables too and they have been running down the walls for like 6 months now :effort:

I do plan to make custom enclosures in Fusion360 and then 3d print/laser cut them for a nice clean look in the end so will probably run all the wires then.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Hell yeah.

Please post a project thread and link here when you get going, so I can subscribe to your newsletter.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This wonderful beast from an antique store in Dallas:

TWO NUTS UP

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

I have an electric mower and it's pretty great but holy poo poo it uses so much torque if your grass is even remotely wet. Definitely make sure the other battery is good to go at all times.

Seconding this. It burns battery if your grass is either damp or tall. I've had it shut off on taller grass too. I have the previous generation version of that mower. Aside from that, I love it though. I have their string trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer too.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

The Ferret King posted:

So are you a programming whizz or what?

It’s really fuckin easy to do most things you want to do with an arduino or pi with very little programming knowledge. That’s arduino’s target market, and both arduino and pi have so many people developing stuff for them, there’s code all over the internet.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OniPanda posted:

It’s really fuckin easy to do most things you want to do with an arduino or pi with very little programming knowledge. That’s arduino’s target market, and both arduino and pi have so many people developing stuff for them, there’s code all over the internet.

Its what makes open source so great, those with a lot of knowledge can trickle down so other can learn.

I would say you do need to have a basic understanding of how a program works cause a lot of the code out there is not so much copy, paste, upload. But if you told me to sit down with a blank window and write the code I wouldn't know where to begin, give me something and I can follow what its doing and modify it to work.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

JEEVES420 posted:

Its what makes open source so great, those with a lot of knowledge can trickle down so other can learn.

I would say you do need to have a basic understanding of how a program works cause a lot of the code out there is not so much copy, paste, upload. But if you told me to sit down with a blank window and write the code I wouldn't know where to begin, give me something and I can follow what its doing and modify it to work.

Yeah, I know how to program, and I could eventually come up with something from a blank project, it’d be a lot of trial and error and wasted effort when I could just go grab something as a bass and go from there for a lot of this stuff.

I’d still contend it’s pretty easy to go in with no prior programming knowledge and get stuff working after some googling. Anecdotal, but I know several people who have.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Update on the EGO mower I bought Monday. I love it! It did my whole front and back yards that were slightly damp in one single charge so about 50ush minutes of mowing time. Only had to stop once in the middle to empty the bag. And here I was expecting it to die, had the 2.5Ah battery all lined up as a backup too. Sidenote, am I just supposed to put the clippings in the trash? I've always mowed with a side discharge so I don't know if I'm supposed to like recycle it or what

Front is like 1/3 the size of that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sidenote, am I just supposed to put the clippings in the trash? I've always mowed with a side discharge so I don't know if I'm supposed to like recycle it or what

Your local municipality should tell you that, check their web site. Many don't want those in the trash that goes to the dump. In my area, you have to put them in clear bags (so they can see it's lawn clippings and not trash) and they are picked up by a separate truck that comes through on trash day.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've always mowed with a side discharge so I don't know if I'm supposed to like recycle it or what

You could always start your own composting. But as Flash mentioned. Usually organic material gets handles in different manner. For instance in Az I have a big green trash bin similar to your blue one there that is restricted to plant waste(yard clippings, trimmed branches etc).

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is there a mulching option on your lawn mower?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

duffmensch posted:

Is there a mulching option on your lawn mower?

There is, should I be using it? Googling says I should for the health of my lawn

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I do it because I’m lazy and don’t want to haul a heavy bag of grass when it’s 110° outside. If the clippings bother you, you can try to move slower or go back to bagging it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

There is, should I be using it? Googling says I should for the health of my lawn

If your mower is this one it has a mulch setting. This will leave the grass clippings in the yard as you mow. Some people don't like this because it will turn brown and "My yard doesn't look as good" - https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-...102SP/206515944

User manual - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/dd/dde27c01-50a2-45b7-bd10-30e3087a11f6.pdf

"UserManual" posted:

ATTACHING/REMOVING THE MULCHING INSERT
WARNING: Do not at any time make any adjustment to
the lawn mower without first stopping the motor, removing the
battery pack and waiting for the blade to stop rotating.
1. Remove the battery.
2. Lift the rear-discharge door.
3. Grasp the handle of the mulching insert and fully insert it
into the mower, so that it is securely seated (Fig. 10).
4. To remove the mulching insert, lift the rear-discharge door,
grasp the handle of the mulching insert, and pull it out.
5. Release the discharge door and make sure it rests firmly
against the mulching insert.
NOTICE: The mulching insert must be removed in order to install
and use the grass bag and must be re-installed when the grass bag is removed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Mulching is for late summer/fall. When the grass is growing almost fast enough to watch in the spring and early summer it's usually too wet/thick for effective mulching and just ends up sticking to the inside of the deck.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

sterster posted:

If your mower is this one it has a mulch setting. This will leave the grass clippings in the yard as you mow. Some people don't like this because it will turn brown and "My yard doesn't look as good" - https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-...102SP/206515944

User manual - https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/dd/dde27c01-50a2-45b7-bd10-30e3087a11f6.pdf

It's the non self propelled version, the LM2101. It has the attachment, I had to take it out to put the bag on

Geoj posted:

Mulching is for late summer/fall. When the grass is growing almost fast enough to watch in the spring and early summer it's usually too wet/thick for effective mulching and just ends up sticking to the inside of the deck.

So bag until like Septemberish? I guess I never payed attention to all this, I always mowed the front while my dad mowed the back on the riding mower

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just bought a 2016 Yamaha Tricity. I've been wanting one for a while, because they are cheap to register in my country (because they have 3 wheels, they are registered as a car, and being only 125 cc means its only $60 a year, compared with $270 for a motorcycle. Very stable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Say Nothing posted:

Just bought a 2016 Yamaha Tricity. I've been wanting one for a while, because they are cheap to register in my country (because they have 3 wheels, they are registered as a car, and being only 125 cc means its only $60 a year, compared with $270 for a motorcycle. Very stable.

I want to make fun of this but this is just the kind of sci-fi garbage that I love.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

duffmensch posted:

I do it because I’m lazy and don’t want to haul a heavy bag of grass when it’s 110° outside. If the clippings bother you, you can try to move slower or go back to bagging it.

heh, this is why I pay someone else to do my yard. gently caress mowing the lawn in 110F Texas summers. Its so much nicer to come home from work and see it's cut, trimmed, and cleaned up.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Argyle posted:

I now own an extremely tiny piece of Apollo 11.

I probably paid way too much but I don't care, I like the display case and I'm getting a raise soon.
This is awesome and is comparable in price to the chunk of the planet Mercury I bought.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

did 7 days at a resort + disney world with my gf last week, was definitely worth it
Awesome. Are you still with Lego Princess?

JEEVES420 posted:

RFID stuff is for embedding chips into wood/metal hybrid rings and laser etched leather bracelets/watch bands. Need the read/writers connected to Arduino for copying existing cards/tags and eventually adding into my home automation for door locks. The Wiegand encryption is what most HID corporate card readers use ("its secure" lol) so I can clone someones employee badge if they want one. I also hope to tie the chips into tap/wave pay and be able to unlock devices. Might be a long shot but having "one ring to rule them all" so to speak, that opens car door/keyless start car, opens home/work doors with wave of hand, unlocks computer when hands are above keyboard, unlocks phone when you pick it up, etc. However I have a feeling its going to end up being a Thanos gauntlet with all the different RFID chips :v:

The pressure pot is for making resin hybrid blanks for turning projects. Mainly Spheres and other decorative art pieces. On the list is a vacuum chamber (using a communal one, but each run is 24h in the chamber) for creating stabilized wood blanks. You can add dye and powders to both the resin and stabilizing juice to give different colors and effects to the pieces.

Other projects in various states of completion are; never ending Home Automation system, Android app controlled mini submarine with camera, Android app controlled floor mopper/detailer (based on a remote control one I built in HS like 20 years ago), IN 16 Nixie clock, wooden stem wine glass with brass inlay (inlay keeps popping out while I am filing it down), spiral turned candle holder, 3d Laser scanned part I am fixing in Fusion 360 for 3d printing in either SLA or ABS, 2 Bookcases, coffee table/end tables, and bedroom set. On the list of things to learn by the end of the year is metal forging/welding/milling both CNC and by hand.

I also just found a source for $4 4"x12"x9' live edge planks of cedar so probably a resin/wood river table. And picking up a busted microwave in a few days for the transformer to make Lichtenberg figures into wood :science: and have a plan to make a humidor with some of the cedar and oak outside with the Lichtenberg design on it. I need more power to capture them in resin so now I am also researching Van De Graaff generators.
Not quite new, but I use a Proxmark3 for RFID stuff and I take great joy in asking coworkers if I can see their university ID and cloning it to a keyfob based on the 5 digit ID on the back. I also love the reactions I get to opening doors with the chip implanted in my hand, but that's even less recent.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I know everyone already who has an xb1 has played it but:

Only $3 new and shipped from the microsoft store. I cant even ship 1 ounce via first class for 3 bucks. Received it in less than 24 hours too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Awesome. Are you still with Lego Princess?

lol yep, it's been almost 3(!) years since we met on tinder and 2 and a half since we started dating officially. sheesh.

i got her the autograph book and made absolutely certain we met every single disney princess but the ones that weren't available when we were at DW so she got everyone but moana i think. tinkerbelle and merida were my favorite characters we met.

coincidentally i'm about to buy her all of the new harry potter lego sets so that's my pyf for the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Say Nothing posted:

What is it like going around corners?