Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wesleywillis posted:

Frank Thomas baseball card.
THe one where he's giving someone the finger.

https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Frank-Thomas-Chicago-White/dp/B00LSBB17Q

poo poo. The Billy Ripken one is almost, but not quite, 90s:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Miss Parker was smoking hot.

Hell yeah she was!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

School fund raisers were such bullshit. The top prize was always either a Huffy BMX bike or a GPX brand 13" TV. Either of which was worth $100, tops. I never knew anyone who got one of those. Everyone just got one of those sticky feet poof ball things. Or maybe a lovely plastic slinky.

I ask myself now, who actually got the money from all those candy bars and magazines we all sold? My school was poor as poo poo. We still had TRS-80 computers in the mid 90's.

In my elementary days most kids were stuck in the first or second tiers, except for one or two rich kids who got the bike

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic posted:

I remember reading a Simpsons comic where Bart and Milhouse humiliate an rear end in a top hat ball player by writing "Fish Face" on the end of his bat just as he's going to have his official baseball card photo taken. I never realised it was a reference to something but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Ah gotcha. That is weird considering all I hear about Americans schools is that they're apparently Godless despite being full of Christians.

If you're in a small enough town/conservative enough area there's plenty of Christian stuff, like after-school prayer groups in the cafeteria, Christmas concerts with religious hymns, stuff like that. The only thing they can't do is have mandatory prayer or Bible reading in public-funded schools, which is of course enough to make the fundies flip out about brainwashing. Private schools can basically do whatever they want.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Captainsalami posted:

My grade school made us dance the macarena every morning. Also exercising to the proclaimers for exercise. The 90s sucked.

This triggered memories of my elementary school music teacher, a fat middle aged woman, lumbering through the macarana like loving Frankenstein and insisting that we follow her rhythm on it.

Ah gently caress me I bought the macarena as a cassette single when it came it and my sister and I would dance to it all the time for about a week. I remember buying it at Hastings; whichever parent drove me there must have been laughing internally when I spent my precious birthday money on that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My memory of the Macarena is that during the summer when it was popular, my parents had taken my brother and I on holiday to this place in England - possibly a Center Parcs - and I remember riding my bicycle past a tennis court one evening where two guys were playing a match while singing the Macarena.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The one thing I remember from Veronicas Closet is that they were looking at menus for Chinese takeout, and in plain standard definition sight printed on the back of the menu was this:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

evobatman posted:

The one thing I remember from Veronicas Closet is that they were looking at menus for Chinese takeout, and in plain standard definition sight printed on the back of the menu was this:

Nice!!

I wonder who that was directed at?

Anyone here ever call 1-800-atlantis to hear what the jerky boys had to say?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't there 2 macerana videos, one that was pretty standard and one that was all sexy and stuff?

Were those terrible movies about the Lambada from the 90s too? Basically I have trouble remembering if things are from the early 90s or the late 90s until nevermind came out

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

twistedmentat posted:

Were those terrible movies about the Lambada from the 90s too? Basically I have trouble remembering if things are from the early 90s or the late 90s until nevermind came out.

It started with Dirty Dancing in 1987, Salsa in 1988, then started the '90s off with both Lambada and The Forbidden Dance in 1990, although 1990 was still very much the late '80s.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I remember there being at least two Macarena versions that had come out. Am I imagining this poo poo?

One had just older men and one had an annoying lady in it from memory, at least here in :australia:.

I was too busy playing the Quake demo and watching the Atlanta games to pay a heap of attention, but the older dude version was smoother.

Is two of every poo poo pop culture trend (original and competing version of said trend) a 90s thing, or from time immemorial?

fappenmeister has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Sep 10, 2018

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
My girlfriend back then had her walkman with her and said “this song is so cool, you have to listen to this”. It was the macarena.

A week later she broke up with me, just as the macarena started its meteoric rise as -the- summer hit here. That took a while to move past and heal :sigh:

fappenmeister posted:

I remember there being at least two Macarena versions that had come out. Am I imagining this poo poo?
It was released several times and most people know the remix I’d say.

quote:

Is two of every poo poo pop culture trend (original and competing version of said trend) a 90s thing, or from time immemorial?

Twin movies have been a thing since Gone With The Wind. Sometimes people just want to cash in real quick, sometimes this goes beyond the “original” version.

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 10, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there was an original one which I think was the late 80s and then the one everyone knows is the Bayside Boys remix from about 10 years later.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

No Such Thing as a Fish covered the Macarena on one of their podcasts either last week or before. Los del Rio had a cd that was just Macarena 10 times in a row with two remixes at the end.

The band had been together for close to 30 years before they broke out with that song.

It also used to be a way more complicated dance but the dumbed it down for white people.

https://player.fm/series/no-such-thing-as-a-fish-167436/episode-230-no-such-thing-as-tinder-for-sloths

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jojoinnit posted:

Ah gotcha. That is weird considering all I hear about Americans schools is that they're apparently Godless despite being full of Christians.
And here in the People's Gaypublic of Drugifornia, no less.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laserjet 4P posted:

Twin movies have been a thing since Gone With The Wind. Sometimes people just want to cash in real quick, sometimes this goes beyond the “original” version.

Sometimes it's just coincidence, of course you can tell a cash in due to how quick and cheap it's made.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Coincidentally, the macarena is the most personality Al Gore ever showed.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Dana Plato dying in 1999 was pretty sudden.

If she'd lived another 20 years she'd probably be playing Hillary Clinton in a TV Movie or appearing on Legends of Tomorrow as White Canary's aunt or something.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell yeah she was!

In my elementary days most kids were stuck in the first or second tiers, except for one or two rich kids who got the bike

I don't remember anyone getting the bike or the tv. Not even the rich kids. Money shouldn't have had anything to do with it anyway. Whoever had the mom who worked in the biggest office to sell the most got the best prize. But never the bike or TV. Unless someone's parents were rich enough to buy that poo poo for bragging rights.

The candy ones were the worst. I always got in trouble for eating $50 worth of overpriced chocolate and selling maybe 10 or so. "But mom! I want that Koosh ball"!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We didn't get the little colored balls. Our stuffed prize was some sort of hedgehog looking thing and if you sold enough you got like a mommy one that had little baby ones?

My parents always threw those away which got me bitched at by my teachers for not selling anything

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I don't remember anyone getting the bike or the tv. Not even the rich kids. Money shouldn't have had anything to do with it anyway. Whoever had the mom who worked in the biggest office to sell the most got the best prize. But never the bike or TV. Unless someone's parents were rich enough to buy that poo poo for bragging rights.

The candy ones were the worst. I always got in trouble for eating $50 worth of overpriced chocolate and selling maybe 10 or so. "But mom! I want that Koosh ball"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EzKOfqgOeM

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Phanatic posted:

pfff try 1887

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Also, re: parody--Weird Al gets permission simply because it's easier. He, nor anyone else, doesn't *need to*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattel,_Inc._v._MCA_Records,_Inc.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8hyDci33Qg

the most 90s closing credits thou shalt e'er see

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im the creepy reflection in the screen of the guy recording it with his phone

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Beastie posted:

It also used to be a way more complicated dance but the dumbed it down for white people.

https://player.fm/series/no-such-thing-as-a-fish-167436/episode-230-no-such-thing-as-tinder-for-sloths
Chop chop chop chop chop

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also, re: parody--Weird Al gets permission simply because it's easier. He, nor anyone else, doesn't *need to*.

He has said that he does it to not generate feuds or reputation as an rear end in a top hat, or to check that the song isn't too personally involved for the artist he targets.

I know I know, "stupid rear end in a top hat for actually trying to be nice to other people.".

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

He has said that he does it to not generate feuds or reputation as an rear end in a top hat, or to check that the song isn't too personally involved for the artist he targets.

I know I know, "stupid rear end in a top hat for actually trying to be nice to other people.".

Weird Al is a shining light in the darkness.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Was the beef with him and Coolio over Amish Paradise real?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Beastie posted:

Was the beef with him and Coolio over Amish Paradise real?

Apparently so. When he was on Howard Sterna few years back, he said that he'd talked to one of Coolio's "people" who said it was cool, but that person, nor Al actually talked to Coolio about it. Which is why he now insists on talking ONLY to the artist themself.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Did Stevie Wonder Beef with Coolio over Pastime Paradise?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

remusclaw posted:

Did Stevie Wonder Beef with Coolio over Pastime Paradise?

No, but he wouldn't allow him to sample it if he cursed.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

No, but he wouldn't allow him to sample it if he cursed.

Hm, I'm a big fan of cussing, but I think I'm fine with Stevie's dictate here.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWo-02Hsab4

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Apparently so. When he was on Howard Sterna few years back, he said that he'd talked to one of Coolio's "people" who said it was cool, but that person, nor Al actually talked to Coolio about it. Which is why he now insists on talking ONLY to the artist themself.

Which still resulted in trouble when Lady Gaga okay'd a Born This Way parody, but her manager had a bug up their rear end about it and called to say Al couldn't do it, which left things up in the air for a while.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Iirc Al's quoted as saying something to the effect of "He had a problem with it but he sure didn't have a problem cashing the check we wrote him".

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which still resulted in trouble when Lady Gaga okay'd a Born This Way parody, but her manager had a bug up their rear end about it and called to say Al couldn't do it, which left things up in the air for a while.

I thought it was the other way around. The manager told Al he couldn't use it then Gaga found out and got in contact with Al and told him to use it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
What it was that Lady Gaga's management was stringing him along, refusing to ok it until they saw the complete lyrics. Then they needed to hear a demo, which required Al to cut a family vacation short just to record it. Then they finally withdrew any approval. Sticking to his principals, he removed the song from his upcoming album, requiring him to delay it's release as he came up with a new song.

However, since he was forced to do so much work, he released his work online along with a message griping about the whole process. This ended resulted in the whole feud blowing up and the parody becoming an online hit. Then it was revealed that Lady Gaga never heard the song and didn't even know what was happening. She then gave the okay, and the song was on the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like any artist would be honoured that Weird Al would parody them, especially any that grew up in the 90s.

I heard a story, I think its from a Simpsons commentary, where they wanted to use an AC/DC song in an episode but they straight up were told no by either the record company or the management. But one of the people on the show knew Brian Johnson or at least someone really close to the band that got the request directly to the band, and they overrode the earlier denial.

That leads into how in the 80s, AC/DC was like the heaviest poo poo I'd ever heard, and most of the "metal" i encountered would have been Motley Crue/Poison/Whitesnake and other cockrock/hair metal bands, which were more an evolution of glam than actual metal. I mean back then you'd have to seek out Slayer or Mettalica. And anyways, that was what the kid would would flick cigarettes at you or tripped you going down the stairs was into. Why would you listen to that?