Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I didn't have ADHD I would definitely make a new thread with an extensive OP that would have information about symptoms, resources, medications, etc. One of these days!!!!

The thread’s eternal curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There are no depressant ADHD medications, but there are non-stimulant meds like atomoxetine (Strattera) and guanfacine.

Alright, then anyone with experience in both types, how would you describe the difference?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

"friendbot2000" posted:

Also DBT therapy is INCREDIBLY helpful for the emotional disregulation aspect of ADHD.

Could you expand on this?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

DBT is a therapy where every day you fill out a diary card and rate your emotions on a scale of 1 to 10 and its like taking a test only more exhausting. That's my experience anyways.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There are no depressant ADHD medications, but there are non-stimulant meds like atomoxetine (Strattera) and guanfacine.

Jumping on the "please elaborate" train. I did not like being on Adderall - felt like I could quit coffee, and all I did was lock the gently caress on to things to kill time and not do things I disliked but had to do for work.

If there's a better alternative that allows me to balance out, I'd love to hear about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MJP posted:

Jumping on the "please elaborate" train. I did not like being on Adderall - felt like I could quit coffee, and all I did was lock the gently caress on to things to kill time and not do things I disliked but had to do for work.

If there's a better alternative that allows me to balance out, I'd love to hear about it.

The balancing often comes from combining medication with therapy, where you can figure out how to make the medication work for you.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

How do I read a book that I'm genuinely interested in without realizing 6 pages later that while reading, I was thinking about something unrelated.
And then realizing it, and continuing to "read" but digest nothing while having an internal monologue about how I'm not actually reading?

This has gotten worse and worse the older I get.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Read out loud to yourself and use a finger on the word you are reading. I've also had some success with sprint reading, it's an app that flashes each word at you really fast. To fast to lose your train of thought. It can be hard on your eyes though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Hypnolobster posted:

How do I read a book that I'm genuinely interested in without realizing 6 pages later that while reading, I was thinking about something unrelated.
And then realizing it, and continuing to "read" but digest nothing while having an internal monologue about how I'm not actually reading?

I listen to music in a language I do not understand. It blocks out stray thoughts.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy poo poo, this. It drives me crazy and makes me question if I even enjoy reading as much as I used to. I'll sit down with a book I ostensibly am excited to read, and multiple times a page my thoughts will have wandered off and I won't know what I've read, or I'll get distracted by someone walking outside a window or by some random sound or flashing light or clock or something. Then queue the self interrogation about why I can't focus or anxiety about the same, and I won't retain what I've read. I feel like I barely remember information from articles or books these days and it's incredibly depressing because I want to learn and remember these things so much, but I feel like I can't.

Something else I've discovered about myself that may be ADHD or may just be anxiety is: I get so easily overwhelmed by the most mundane daily tasks. Does anyone else have this? Things that should be straightforward become totally overwhelming and seem like they'll never be overcome. A good example is shaving: For example, I'll be getting ready in the morning, and I shave with a DE safety razor and brush so it takes about 30 minutes start to finish. I'll prep everything and start, but as I go (my mind wandering all over as per usual), I get this sense of dread at how much is left to do, and all of the things that still need to be done after that, and get really tense and anxious. Rationally, I know to just take it one step at a time and that I have plenty of time, but my brain/body just increasingly wants to be free of what I'm having to do. I feel warm, I start to sweat, my hands shake which makes shaving harder and makes me more anxious, and when I'm done I feel really tense. It's ridiculous and silly.

This happens with a ton of things, where I'll try to focus and get more and more overwhelmed and anxious. Usually in these situations my brain kind of shuts down and I try to brute force my way out of whatever I'm doing as quickly as possible which never ends well. This anxiousness even affects things I think I enjoy, like drawing or writing. It's so bizarre, and leaves me with the deep feeling that I am totally unequipped to deal with daily life. Meditation has helped with this to an extent, but it's hard to keep the mindset I have when meditating throughout the day.

Sorry for the sudden word avalanche. :shobon:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

That's a pretty awesome way of putting it. I get exactly the same problem, so you're not alone.

Maybe grow a beard? I have no real solutions for you, I just thought you put into words how I feel really well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For shaving I used to use a safety razor but now I use a philips oneblade. It's basically an electric razor that you use with no prep whatsoever, no water no shaving cream, and it gives me a reasonable shave in like 2 minutes. It's not gonna make you as smooth as a safety razor, but it removes visible hair from your face and that's all I need it to do, and it doesn't give me that weird pinch burn that I normally get from electric razors. I could shave drunk in the dark with this and not have a problem.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

MJP posted:

add can often be co-morbid with depression, and non-recreational doses of adderall if anything will make a depression worse by giving it energy - just imagine giving a bunch of caffeine to a depressed person. the symptoms between the conditions overlap (e.g. not being able to get anything done) and likely a doctor will try to fix one at a time (usually the depression first), but i find that just adderall or just zoloft won't get me in a productive state of mind, has to be a combination.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't remember who made the suggestion itt, but I got a referral to a sleep lab and have already been through the first two recordings to see if there's any circadian fuckery going on on top of my ADHD. Thanks, thread :glomp:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Hypnolobster posted:

Same exact problem, including getting worse over the years.

The cure for me is audiobooks. I listen while doing something else (walking, cleaning, making art, driving, etc.) I often have to up the speed a bit as most narrators read too slowly for me.

When I HAVE to read I do it out loud until my brain finally settles down and lets me focus somewhat. Still not as good as listening, though.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

When I HAVE to read I do it out loud until my brain finally settles down and lets me focus somewhat.

Same. I find it a little embarrassing that I need to do this now as an adult, when I never struggled with reading as a child (I was probably hyperfocusing while reading, and I was one of those kids who always read above their grade level, I got an 800 on my Verbal SATs, etc.). But nothing helps me focus and retain what I read better than reading out loud, even if I just mouth the words to myself.

This is how I got through my 4th attempt through Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian"....and ended up loving every word of it. Previously, my mind just glazed over all of the endless description of the terrain (like, 80% of the book), but reading out loud revealed this fantastic musicality to McCarthy's language that made it so fun and attention-holding to read, which I had completely missed during Reading Attempts #1-3.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I also read out loud when I'm really trying to retain the content of the text. It's a great coping strategy.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Just started day one of straterra. I’m an addict/alcoholic in recovery so the narcotic meds are off the table for me. I’ve read nasty things about straterras side effects, but I didn’t think I’d be getting them Day one, dose one. Unless I am exaggerating it in my head?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just started day one of straterra. I’m an addict/alcoholic in recovery so the narcotic meds are off the table for me. I’ve read nasty things about straterras side effects, but I didn’t think I’d be getting them Day one, dose one. Unless I am exaggerating it in my head?

Talk to your psychiatrist about your concerns.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

artsy fartsy posted:

Same exact problem, including getting worse over the years.

The cure for me is audiobooks. I listen while doing something else (walking, cleaning, making art, driving, etc.) I often have to up the speed a bit as most narrators read too slowly for me.

When I HAVE to read I do it out loud until my brain finally settles down and lets me focus somewhat. Still not as good as listening, though.

I have the opposite situation with regards to audio; I have such a hard time paying attention to spoken word. I'll start listening, then inevitably my mind wanders off or I get distracted by something and I've totally lost track of what is being said. It makes things like poetry readings a frustrating exercise in trying to keep up and figure out what was/is being said. At least with written stuff, I can go back to where I was, but with spoken word I've been left behind at that point. :(

Related, but I absolutely have to write something down or I'll forget it. Names, especially; for whatever reason, if I don't see them written down or write them myself they are immediately forgotten.

Reading out loud seems like a nice idea though, I'll have to try it out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Oh yeah, they start quick. It's a great drug if you can endure them for a month, month and a half, though.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Keret posted:

I have the opposite situation with regards to audio; I have such a hard time paying attention to spoken word. I'll start listening, then inevitably my mind wanders off or I get distracted by something and I've totally lost track of what is being said. It makes things like poetry readings a frustrating exercise in trying to keep up and figure out what was/is being said. At least with written stuff, I can go back to where I was, but with spoken word I've been left behind at that point. :(

Are you doing anything else while listening? When I was in school I absolutely had to doodle or my brain would just wander away. At a former job I would sometimes piss off my boss because he'd see me drawing during meetings and assume I wasn't paying attention, when it was actually the opposite. :(

quote:

Related, but I absolutely have to write something down or I'll forget it. Names, especially; for whatever reason, if I don't see them written down or write them myself they are immediately forgotten.

My memory is terrible. Names and faces are awful, but the most embarrassing problem is remembering whether someone is dead. I've completely forgotten that certain people have died (not close friends, but acquaintances and even family members that I'm not close to but should at least be able to recall whether they're alive or not) and I also misremembered someone dying that hadn't, which created a really awkward situation when my mom stumbled upon this person, still alive...uuugggh.

quote:

Saying something out loud seems to help cement it into memory. Whenever I put gas in my car I always say out loud, "I'm putting the cap back on," so when I get back in the driver's seat I don't have to get out and check because I have no memory of whether or not I put the stupid cap back on.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sub Rosa posted:

Oh yeah, they start quick. It's a great drug if you can endure them for a month, month and a half, though.

Thanks for this! I’ll obviously bring it up with my doc, but I guess I was unprepared for such an abrupt effect.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Keret posted:

I'm 100% the same way. I can't sit and listen to someone talking without doing something, or focusing on something else. I have always been like this. I hated taking notes as a child and I only really got good at note-taking in HS when I was allowed to have (I'm dating myself) a Palm IIIe with a GoType keyboard. I was always a better typist than writer. Similar setups or a laptop in college were probably the only way I got the 2.94 GPA I did get.

These days, it's harder to type-notetake when there are so many distraction opportunities on a computer. When I study for cert exams, I just go through the book and take notes from it. Sloggy, yes, and slow - and my handwriting absolutely SUCKS - but writing stuff down drastically improves my ability to retain information. Not so much as actually doing the thing I'm writing about but the writing still serves as a jumping-off point for reference.

Tias
May 25, 2008

My relationship seems to be blowing up. My SO is really angry I don't ask often enough how she's feeling or how her day has been, and while I'm really invested in knowing how she is, apparently I'm doing it wrong or too little. This seems like a problem in the executive/empathy crossfield, and since I haven't had help from meds, I'm really worried. Have any of you run into similar relationship issues?

meanolmrcloud posted:

Also recovering here, there is definitely hope for doing things without stimulants, I've come far by meditation and therapy alone.

I tried strattera, and I felt the side effects pretty quickly, though I doubt you can by day one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tias posted:

My relationship seems to be blowing up. My SO is really angry I don't ask often enough how she's feeling or how her day has been, and while I'm really invested in knowing how she is, apparently I'm doing it wrong or too little. This seems like a problem in the executive/empathy crossfield, and since I haven't had help from meds, I'm really worried. Have any of you run into similar relationship issues?

Yes. I am diagnosed with ADHD and also autism. In my experience, if you don't express that you care, people will assume that you don't. It makes sense, because people who care about things would be expected to act on the fact that they care. ADHD's inattentive type applies to your own concerns when you do not act on them, but you can deal with this by practicing until it's something you're aware of all the time. Just as the tetris effect applies to hobbies, where the more you do a thing, the more you see applications for it, it also applies to things like showing concern for people, getting your daily tasks done, or even being an optimist. You can practice these things by setting a goal, in this case asking your SO how she's doing, asking about her day, etc.. which is acting on the caring that you have to begin with, until you find yourself looking for ways to do that. It's simply a disconnect between feelings and actions, and as with all things ADHD, structure is part of repairing it. It will be significantly more difficult to perform this task spontaneously as compared to planning it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Yes. I am diagnosed with ADHD and also autism. In my experience, if you don't express that you care, people will assume that you don't. It makes sense, because people who care about things would be expected to act on the fact that they care. ADHD's inattentive type applies to your own concerns when you do not act on them, but you can deal with this by practicing until it's something you're aware of all the time. Just as the tetris effect applies to hobbies, where the more you do a thing, the more you see applications for it, it also applies to things like showing concern for people, getting your daily tasks done, or even being an optimist. You can practice these things by setting a goal, in this case asking your SO how she's doing, asking about her day, etc.. which is acting on the caring that you have to begin with, until you find yourself looking for ways to do that. It's simply a disconnect between feelings and actions, and as with all things ADHD, structure is part of repairing it. It will be significantly more difficult to perform this task spontaneously as compared to planning it.

This has been my approach. I've set two rules, ask her as often as I remember to even if it feels weird, and apologize when I don't.

It seems to help, but sometimes I just don't realize I have to, even if she's obviously upset, and then it snowballs :/

Thanks, this is helpful! /takes notes

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just remember that it's really unlikely that asking too much will have any negative effect. When in doubt, just :justpost: . Also, if you haven't already, just have a frank and open discussion with your s/o about how you feel, and explain to her that you care a lot, even if you don't ask as much as you probably should.

Unrelated - Concerta is great, it helps me focus. Overall, it's a good thing for me. But sometimes, it make me hyperfocus on procrastination like I'm doing right now

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Geisladisk posted:

Unrelated - Concerta is great, it helps me focus. Overall, it's a good thing for me. But sometimes, it make me hyperfocus on procrastination like I'm doing right now

Haha welcome to the concerta train!

I find it helps if I write a list of what I want done that day, before I take the pill.

oompah
Apr 17, 2013
Any tips for broaching the subject with the doctor? Or am I totally off base in even wanting to?

I recently started seeing a therapist about some depression and anxiety stuff and for some support in getting off Wellbutrin safely. After describing some of my struggles more generally, he wondered about adult adhd (he's an LCSW, so maybe can't officially diagnose?)

After reading up on adult adhd and being shocked at how it pretty much hits the nail on the head (primarily inattentive), I'm planning to ask my doc about it at my next appointment later this month. I'm nervous as I don't know the doc well (2nd appointment ever), and since this is all new it feels illicit or something. I guess I'm worried he'll think I'm fishing for drugs since I am 30, have a good job, and have never been tested/screened before. I did OK in school and college, wasn't particularly disruptive, and had pretty good grades, but much of that was due to quitting anything I found remotely difficult or had to work at and cramming when I absolutely had to, generally knowing I was way underperforming but doing what it took to keep up appearances within the structure. My parents didn't/don't believe it is a real condition, and it doesn't help that my wife also thinks I could be better if I just "tried harder" and wondered if I'm just after pills when I brought it up. Ironically, after me, she bears the brunt of the fallout from my constant forgetting/losing things/distractedness/tardiness, etc, and definitely let's me know it, so I don't know why she'd be against me trying to make improvements. Overall, I think I do OK when I write absolutely everything down and put it into discrete, prioritized to-do lists, but most of my day-to-day is a scattered struggle to even get started.

I've taken stimulant meds a handful of times over the years when I could bum them off friends, and it felt like something 'clicked' and I could operate the way I really wanted to, like background noise all cut out. I told my therapist about that and he said that might indicate they could help. Might also be part of the reason I am nervous about looking like a pill seeker, as those experiences were so positive, but I wasn't thinking about it in a "this could actually be helpful ongoing" sort of way.

Is it worth bringing up to my doc? Any tips on what info to bring to the appointment or what to share? It's just a general checkup with my primary care doc, so I have no idea what to expect.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

oompah posted:

Any tips for broaching the subject with the doctor? Or am I totally off base in even wanting to?

I recently started seeing a therapist about some depression and anxiety stuff and for some support in getting off Wellbutrin safely. After describing some of my struggles more generally, he wondered about adult adhd (he's an LCSW, so maybe can't officially diagnose?)

After reading up on adult adhd and being shocked at how it pretty much hits the nail on the head (primarily inattentive), I'm planning to ask my doc about it at my next appointment later this month. I'm nervous as I don't know the doc well (2nd appointment ever), and since this is all new it feels illicit or something. I guess I'm worried he'll think I'm fishing for drugs since I am 30, have a good job, and have never been tested/screened before. I did OK in school and college, wasn't particularly disruptive, and had pretty good grades, but much of that was due to quitting anything I found remotely difficult or had to work at and cramming when I absolutely had to, generally knowing I was way underperforming but doing what it took to keep up appearances within the structure. My parents didn't/don't believe it is a real condition, and it doesn't help that my wife also thinks I could be better if I just "tried harder" and wondered if I'm just after pills when I brought it up. Ironically, after me, she bears the brunt of the fallout from my constant forgetting/losing things/distractedness/tardiness, etc, and definitely let's me know it, so I don't know why she'd be against me trying to make improvements. Overall, I think I do OK when I write absolutely everything down and put it into discrete, prioritized to-do lists, but most of my day-to-day is a scattered struggle to even get started.

I've taken stimulant meds a handful of times over the years when I could bum them off friends, and it felt like something 'clicked' and I could operate the way I really wanted to, like background noise all cut out. I told my therapist about that and he said that might indicate they could help. Might also be part of the reason I am nervous about looking like a pill seeker, as those experiences were so positive, but I wasn't thinking about it in a "this could actually be helpful ongoing" sort of way.

Is it worth bringing up to my doc? Any tips on what info to bring to the appointment or what to share? It's just a general checkup with my primary care doc, so I have no idea what to expect.

A few things. One, LCSW's can diagnose, though they can't prescribe medication so a diagnosis is only important if the client finds it helpful, for making appropriate referrals, and for billing insurance. My feeling is that it's generally best practice to work with a psychiatrist when starting any psychiatric medication, and not a GP. A psychiatrist is going to have a lot more experience and understanding of doing an evaluation, determining effective dosage, side effects, interactions, etc. Ask your therapist (or your GP) for a referral to a psychiatrist, or if you have insurance you can also get a referral from the insurance company. All you need to tell them is that you've been discussing ADHD with your therapist and that you're interested in being evaluated and exploring medication options. Honestly, you shouldn't be titrating down off of Wellbutrin without a psychiatrist's supervision anyway, so that's even more reason to make an appointment.

You should be open about your experiences with stimulants in the past, it's useful diagnostic information. If you feel like the psychiatrist is treating you like you're drug seeking, fire their rear end and find a different doctor who'll treat you with the respect and compassion that you deserve. If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can also ask them for a release that would allow your therapist to speak with the psychiatrist. There's unfortunately a lot of stigma around ADHD and stimulant medication, and based on your experiences with your parents and your wife it makes sense that you're wary of someone else invalidating your experience, but a mental health professional's job is to take you seriously and provide you with treatment, not to deny treatment.

Educating yourself and the people in your life about ADHD is often a big part of learning to cope with the disorder, so that part of it -- especially how it affects your marriage -- is a good thing to continue discussing in therapy.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 11, 2018

oompah
Apr 17, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A few things. One, LCSW's can diagnose, though they can't prescribe medication so a diagnosis is only important if the client finds it helpful, for making appropriate referrals, and for billing insurance. My feeling is that it's generally best practice to work with a psychiatrist when starting any psychiatric medication, and not a GP. A psychiatrist is going to have a lot more experience and understanding of doing an evaluation, determining effective dosage, side effects, interactions, etc. Ask your therapist (or your GP) for a referral to a psychiatrist, or if you have insurance you can also get a referral from the insurance company. All you need to tell them is that you've been discussing ADHD with your therapist and that you're interested in being evaluated and exploring medication options. Honestly, you shouldn't be titrating down off of Wellbutrin without a psychiatrist's supervision anyway, so that's even more reason to make an appointment.

You should be open about your experiences with stimulants in the past, it's useful diagnostic information. If you feel like the psychiatrist is treating you like you're drug seeking, fire their rear end and find a different doctor who'll treat you with the respect and compassion that you deserve. If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can also ask them for a release that would allow your therapist to speak with the psychiatrist. There's unfortunately a lot of stigma around ADHD and stimulant medication, and based on your experiences with your parents and your wife it makes sense that you're wary of someone else invalidating your experience, but a mental health professional's job is to take you seriously and provide you with treatment, not to deny treatment.

Educating yourself and the people in your life about ADHD is often a big part of learning to cope with the disorder, so that part of it -- especially how it affects your marriage -- is a good thing to continue discussing in therapy.

Thanks for your thoughts. Good point on the psychiatrist, that makes sense. I have good insurance, but I need to figure out how that works for what I have. Mental health benefits seem to be 'sublet' to another insurer (where I found my current therapist) while being administered through the main medical one, but I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to go through the behavioral health directly or the medical side, where psychiatrists are a specialist provider option and I think need a primary doc referral. Already had a a good bit of confusion and random bills from trying to find a therapist and getting the billing right to start with. I'm mostly expecting the doc will refer me to a psychiatrist, and I'd be happy for him or the psychiatrist to talk to my therapist.

I'll be open with past use, that's a good point. Guess I'm nervous about looking like a miscreant or something, though my experience has been minimal.

Whatever happens, I plan to stay with this therapist generally and work on my own strategies for dealing with all this, he's good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dexamphetamine is such a nicer drug to take than Ritalin. I don't even feel it working and it's working so much better. And without making me moody. Right when I needed it too. Work is so busy now and I am on top of it all for the first time.

I feel like this is a new beginning for me!

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Is there any easy way to tell when your meds are working? I went through what were, in retrospect, unsuccessful attempts at medicating my ADHD in my youth. More recently a therapist recommended seeking treatment for my ADHD as a possible way to manage some anxiety and depression I've been dealing with. I saw a family doctor who prescribed Vyvanse. At a low dosage it didn't produce any noticeable effects that I'm sure weren't just placebo, and at an increased dosage seemed to cause anxiety.

At my second visit he asked if it was working for me, and I realized that I didn't know how I should feel, so I wasn't sure if it was working, which seemed to confuse him. I don't remember any noticeable effect from meds in my childhood, but I don't think they ever did anything for me anyway, so I'm guessing my dosage was off. I'd always been under the impression that a properly tuned dose of the correct med wouldn't be noticeable, except in my ability to concentrate and the results of my work. Much like Laserface describes. On the other hand, I've also read people describe it as "a fog lifting" or "a switch being flipped".

It also lead me to realize that I've structured most of my life and career around my ADHD; and since I only have inattentive type, I'm not sure how noticeable getting the dosage right would even be in the short term. I'm so used to my ADHD brain that I can't even conceive of things being different.

I was hoping people might be able to share their experiences in finding the right medication fit so I can have a better idea of what to feel for. Also I'm not sure if I should keep trying work with a family doctor, or ask for a referral to a psychiatrist in the hopes of getting things dialed in faster. I don't know if I'm just being impatient.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I stopped feeling tired all the time, I am able to talk properly without tripping up on my words. I have much better control over my emotions and don't have to rely on my tolerance for bullshit so much. And a lot more personal projects get finished now.

But I noticed all this in retrospect, except the tired thing that was fairly noticeable. I don't feel the concerta itself, I notice caffeine more. I'm just awake now.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I started getting a lot more poo poo done at work, I started spending more of my free time doing something specific instead of mucking about reddit, and I started talking less and listening more during group conversations.

Oh and also my meds made me loving high as poo poo for the first couple of weeks, so that was a pretty good indication they were doing something, too.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TerminalSaint posted:

Is there any easy way to tell when your meds are working? I went through what were, in retrospect, unsuccessful attempts at medicating my ADHD in my youth. More recently a therapist recommended seeking treatment for my ADHD as a possible way to manage some anxiety and depression I've been dealing with. I saw a family doctor who prescribed Vyvanse. At a low dosage it didn't produce any noticeable effects that I'm sure weren't just placebo, and at an increased dosage seemed to cause anxiety.

At my second visit he asked if it was working for me, and I realized that I didn't know how I should feel, so I wasn't sure if it was working, which seemed to confuse him. I don't remember any noticeable effect from meds in my childhood, but I don't think they ever did anything for me anyway, so I'm guessing my dosage was off. I'd always been under the impression that a properly tuned dose of the correct med wouldn't be noticeable, except in my ability to concentrate and the results of my work. Much like Laserface describes. On the other hand, I've also read people describe it as "a fog lifting" or "a switch being flipped".

It also lead me to realize that I've structured most of my life and career around my ADHD; and since I only have inattentive type, I'm not sure how noticeable getting the dosage right would even be in the short term. I'm so used to my ADHD brain that I can't even conceive of things being different.

I was hoping people might be able to share their experiences in finding the right medication fit so I can have a better idea of what to feel for. Also I'm not sure if I should keep trying work with a family doctor, or ask for a referral to a psychiatrist in the hopes of getting things dialed in faster. I don't know if I'm just being impatient.

This is why you want to be working with a psychiatrist, not a family doctor. Finding the right medication and dosage is tricky.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ritalin for me definitely worked, but in the wrong way. Lots of manic energy and anxiety. Dexamph worked way better. I stay focused longer without thinking about it or noticing.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 12, 2018

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

It's so weird how the meds are completely different for everyone.

I love my concerta but I kinda wanna try all the different meds just to see what's up with them.

Now I got this kid at school, on top of thier other special needs they have real bad ADHD C and is what I would describe as a button pusher/bend things until they break kind of kid.

As a PI dude who used to mostly feel tired and day dream all day, alot of the stuff that works for me doesn't work for them, any of you guys more C like? What kinda strategies work to help level you guys out a bit?

Meds are off the table for at least a few years (if ever) unfortunately.

I do alot of excise with them already which does help a bit, and the general way I deal with them is to be very firm but never negative. Lots of positive words and reminding him that everyone still likes him about 15 times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Hi All,

I have an "issue" with my working memory. I'm not a diagnosed sufferer of ADD, but I have noticed on many previous occasions that I seem to have either forgotten or worse, totally misconstrued something that's in my head (yet somehow being confident in my correctness)

To give 3 examples of what I mean that stick out:

A board game I play with some friends involves hidden identities (shadow hunters, if anyone else knows it). You can get small pieces of information from cards with (person is on team Y or person is not X). You can also get inferred information from who does what to other people (e.g. who they attack after finding out some information about them). It's a running joke at this point that I will sometimes do things that make no sense based on flat out wrong assumptions that i've seemingly pulled from nowhere. This always happens when I try to chain together multiple pieces of information to a logical conclusion.

I was once doing "Eienstein's logic puzzle" and got stuck after getting a good way into it. When I looked up the solution, it turned out I had made a completly unfounded assumption 20 mins in, which I had then extrapolated from in a logical manner - but inevitably hit a brick wall based on that faulty assumption rendering the puzzle unsolveable.

While writing my post, I had 3 examples in my head. I literally wrote the names of the first two to expand on so I couldn't forget, and have forgotten what my third example was in the interim.

The thing is, I'm not sure I really test positive for any other symptoms of ADD, so would this be a fair thing to try and get assessed for?