Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think you can underestimate Arnie's charisma. I had to interview him a couple of years ago and even being generally pretty eh about celebrities he's got this weird aura that makes you like him. You can totally see why he became a politician.

I think a lot of his charm is that he obviously doesn't take himself too seriously and never really did. How many comedy movies was he in where he basically just was the joke?

He just like, you know, does stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think you can underestimate Arnie's charisma. I had to interview him a couple of years ago and even being generally pretty eh about celebrities he's got this weird aura that makes you like him. You can totally see why he became a politician.

actually maybe goons can help me find a clip here

On TV right after the recall election I saw one of the paparazzi trying to ambush Arnold with questions. Arnold was getting into his car, and the guy bursts out and said

The guy yells at him "Mister Schwarzenegger, after you're done with the governorship are you going to be in another movie with a woman with three breasts?"

and Arnold just says "Maybe four."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tunicate posted:

actually maybe goons can help me find a clip here

On TV right after the recall election I saw one of the paparazzi trying to ambush Arnold with questions. Arnold was getting into his car, and the guy bursts out and said

The guy yells at him "Mister Schwarzenegger, after you're done with the governorship are you going to be in another movie with a woman with three breasts?"

and Arnold just says "Maybe four."

He has a good sense of humor

Also now I want to hear him read the Grimsby parts of Ariel's Got Legs and I'm sad that will probably never happen

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lenin, reportedly, spoke English like an Irishman because when he living in London he did an language exchange where he taught a guy English and in turn learned English from him and that dude was probably Irish.

As a result of this Lenin's accent always had an Irish tinge to it and he had an easier time understanding English if it was spoken with an Irish accent.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lenin, reportedly, spoke English like an Irishman because when he living in London he did an language exchange where he taught a guy English and in turn learned English from him and that dude was probably Irish.

As a result of this Lenin's accent always had an Irish tinge to it and he had an easier time understanding English if it was spoken with an Irish accent.

this makes a lot of sense, im friends with a handful of ESL folks who learned it in the UK and they have noticeably British tinges to their accents.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm currently living in Ukraine, and I'm always quietly amused when interacting with Ukrainians who've learned British English. For whatever reason, the Eastern European accent interacts with British intonations in just such a way as to make an almost perfect, yet uncanny Australian accent.

Of course, it's missing the endearing Australian vernacular, but it's really something special.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
One of my professors was a very talented Polish lady who had learned nearly all of her english from going to Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. The resulting accent was completely hilarious. When she had a script in her head of what she was saying and was confident, she'd go on in a very normal (for new york) and pretty broad Brooklyn accent. But when she had to be more free form and answer unfamiliar questions or got a bit uncomfortable with her english skills, the Brooklyn dropped and she would be fresh off the boat again. It was such a crazy switch, that for the first few classes I was convinced she had some kind of neurological issue.

She was also very aware of it and was a good sport. She was a good professor.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I met a guy once who had spent his first 20 years speaking Chinese growing up in Hong Kong, then the next 20 living in Scotland, where he picked up English. I'm American, and to my ears his accent was the most unique take on English I've ever heard.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

God Hole posted:

I'm currently living in Ukraine, and I'm always quietly amused when interacting with Ukrainians who've learned British English. For whatever reason, the Eastern European accent interacts with British intonations in just such a way as to make an almost perfect, yet uncanny Australian accent.

Of course, it's missing the endearing Australian vernacular, but it's really something special.

As an Irish this is what I love about Swedish people over here. Generally when they speak English they sound either full Yankee or terribly British based on who taught them. I knew a girl who spent a year here as an au pair and you'd swear she was from Cork, if she didn't break out in Swedish from time to time. From my ear they seem to have excellent accent pickup.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kanine posted:

this makes a lot of sense, im friends with a handful of ESL folks who learned it in the UK and they have noticeably British tinges to their accents.

I think Ville Valo from HIM speaks with a sort of generic English accent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BlockChainNetflix posted:

As an Irish this is what I love about Swedish people over here. Generally when they speak English they sound either full Yankee or terribly British based on who taught them. I knew a girl who spent a year here as an au pair and you'd swear she was from Cork, if she didn't break out in Swedish from time to time. From my ear they seem to have excellent accent pickup.

Danes are almost exclusively either terrible at English or have a non-regional American dialect going (cultural hegemony and all that). The former are becoming fewer.

But yeah, my English teacher in grade school in the 1980s had a sort of mellowed out received pronunciation going. But basically, you won't get docked if you use any of the major national dialects as long as you're consistent in your spelling, etc.

I remember in high school English, one of the girls had clearly been an au pair in California. She started every sentence with "so like,"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

generic English accent

this doesnt exist

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

this doesnt exist

Newscaster English?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Queen Combat posted:

Newscaster English?

Sure, each of the major English-speaking areas national broadcasters tend to use a specific accent or dialect, but it's not generic in any way. It's always based on a specific dialect.

See "BBC English" = "Received Pronunciation" which is based on southern/London upper class English.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Sep 14, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

Sure, each of the major English-speaking areas tend to use a specific accent or dialect, but it's not generic in any way. It's always based on a specific dialect.

See "BBC English" = "Received Pronunciation" which is based on southern/London upper class English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyyT2jmVPAk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

this doesnt exist

You don't exist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

Not to mention people in India and Hong Kong

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Ville Valo from HIM speaks with a sort of generic English accent.

Being from Finland that is a lifetime platinum achievement and nothing less, since he also could sound like a Finnish WRC rally driver when talking outside script.

Te tires vere veri kood indeet fär tis spesial stake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The guy who plays Agent 47 has a very generic accent.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

he also could sound like a Finnish WRC rally driver when talking outside script.

Te tires vere veri kood indeet fär tis spesial stake.

"Up in the rear end of Timo" is the single best phrase I have ever heard a man say on live television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGbrM-MMRk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The guy who plays Agent 47 has a very generic accent.

Rupert Friend is British, so he might've had a dialect coach at some point.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1913 not only were Adolf Hitler, Josip Broz Tito, Sigmund Freud, Joseph Stalin and Leon Trotsky all living in Vienna at the same time, they also were all regulars at the Cafe Central. And yet the only ones that actually met each other were Stalin and Trotsky.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

In 1913 not only were Adolf Hitler, Josip Broz Tito, Sigmund Freud, Joseph Stalin and Leon Trotsky all living in Vienna at the same time, they also were all regulars at the Cafe Central. And yet the only ones that actually met each other were Stalin and Trotsky.

There's a sitcom in here somewhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a sitcom in here somewhere.

Historically, genocidal despot sitcoms aren't well received.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTj0NfQy4T0

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

syscall girl posted:

Not to mention people in India and Hong Kong

My boyfriend is convinced that he speaks perfect English, and eveyone else is doing it wrong. I have to remind him to 'slow down, Americans are dumb' , when he has conference calls or will be speaking at a meeting.

He does actually use absolutely perfect grammar, which is an interesting contrast to my accent, which I found on the side of I-95 inside a Wawa bag.

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Sep 14, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Rupert Friend is British, so he might've had a dialect coach at some point.

That would actually be David Bateson, the voice actor from the game. His delivery has a basically unplaceable accent, which makes sense since he’s canonically mixed race and uses his somewhat ambiguous features to disguise himself so well in different countries.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Krankenstyle posted:

Thought this was gonna be a link to That's My Bush!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^lol^^

chitoryu12 posted:

That would actually be David Bateson, the voice actor from the game. His delivery has a basically unplaceable accent, which makes sense since he’s canonically mixed race and uses his somewhat ambiguous features to disguise himself so well in different countries.

Unplacable to within a continent maybe. Probably not his birth continent, but it's a continent all the same. You can't have an English dialct that exists outside of geography.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veib posted:

"Up in the rear end of Timo" is the single best phrase I have ever heard a man say on live television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGbrM-MMRk

That "it came [something]" phrasing seems to be common in a lot of European languages too. It makes sense to me in German, at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Canonically 47 can speak basically every language, but they don't bother showing that in the games or even accents half the time. Probably for the best, video games have enough dodgy accents.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That "it came [something]" phrasing seems to be common in a lot of European languages too. It makes sense to me in German, at least.

Yeah that's classic germanic, but English still has it in a narrower sense, to come from one place (to another) ie it came from the ground into Timo's rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEGeHxF0tF4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo this one is funnier but i suppose its generational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr6MU1dL0ss

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah that's classic germanic, but English still has it in a narrower sense, to come from one place (to another) ie it came from the ground into Timo's rear end. up in the rear end of Timo.

Fixed that one for you.

Also I think those guys are Finnish, and that language doesn't play by normal rules.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress. thanks, in the rear end, lol irl

forgot to mention that finns learn english via swedish because they need to be in a fight to the death when learning and swedes are closer.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I speak Finland-Swedish with an American accent. When I go to Stockholm they treat me like a very special boy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Krankenstyle posted:

gently caress. thanks, in the rear end, lol irl

forgot to mention that finns learn english via swedish because they need to be in a fight to the death when learning and swedes are closer.

Leave a Finn alone in a room, eventually he'll fight himself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bony tony posted:

Leave a Finn alone in a room, eventually he'll fight himself.

:black101: but in a sauna

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suspect Bucket posted:

My boyfriend is convinced that he speaks perfect English, and eveyone else is doing it wrong. I have to remind him to 'slow down, Americans are dumb' , when he has conference calls or will be speaking at a meeting.

He does actually use absolutely perfect grammar, which is an interesting contrast to my accent, which I found on the side of I-95 inside a Wawa bag.

Was it in a puddle of wooder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR