Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I finally unlocked the Taskmaster challenges and these are loving bullshit.

I like the combat and stealth challenges, but whoever programmed the drones and especially the bombs can eat poo poo.

e: I have finally, as the kids say, "gotten gud" at the combat, and I've gotta say it's pretty great. Only "problem" that's not really a problem is that I keep forgetting to use all my numerous other gadgets besides basic webshooters. Sooner or later I'll try these concussive blasts out if I ever remember in the moment.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There really is a poo poo load of different tools you have in combat. It's tough to remember all of them. The only thing I don't like about the challenges is that there's nothing to explain exactly how to improve your score in the stealth and combat challenges. Arkham explained everything at the end of each challenge. I had to experiment with the stealth in particular.

The bombs and drones were how I got a few golds to have enough tokens for all the suits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to suits, I like the look of the body of the MkII Armor but dislike the head as it doesn't really look like Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

There really is a poo poo load of different tools you have in combat. It's tough to remember all of them. The only thing I don't like about the challenges is that there's nothing to explain exactly how to improve your score in the stealth and combat challenges. Arkham explained everything at the end of each challenge. I had to experiment with the stealth in particular.

The bombs and drones were how I got a few golds to have enough tokens for all the suits.

I think it's like 90% time for combat and stealth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Combo length when you finish is big for combat too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like I can no longer post in BSS because my favorite Spidey suit in the game is

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1041095892823097344

It's just so like the regular spidey suit, but so shiny and angular. It hits all the good spots in my lizard brain.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I feel like I can no longer post in BSS because my favorite Spidey suit in the game is

It's just so like the regular spidey suit, but so shiny and angular. It hits all the good spots in my lizard brain.

First I saw it I was like, hey look a suit based on those fleer cards from the 90s!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was just going to say that I like it except for it being so shiny.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Which one is this? The one from the last Amazing Spidey industries when he works with Mockingbird?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nah, it's a nice one. I basically switched between that, the classic and the Homecoming one the entire time, with an honourable mention for the Spirit Spider for metal selfies. The cel-shaded one is nice too but it just leaves you wanting the entire thing done to match.

Would have been nice to get a real old skool one with the Ditko web patten and underarm wings but hey, maybe next time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Which one is this? The one from the last Amazing Spidey industries when he works with Mockingbird?

Yep. Thinking on it more it fits the game pretty well since he also had a bunch of gadgets in that run.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The armored suits all look wrong to me, so that was one of a few I could bear to wear. Also, just an observation and not a knock, but the regular and updated suit, along with the movie suits make me feel like spider-Man is textured like a basketball.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TwoPair posted:

Yep. Thinking on it more it fits the game pretty well since he also had a bunch of gadgets in that run.

That is awesome! We need to close on this house so I can buy a drat PS4.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My favourite is the noir suit,especially when selfie mode and sepia filter.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

TwoPair posted:

I like the combat and stealth challenges, but whoever programmed the drones and especially the bombs can eat poo poo.

e: I have finally, as the kids say, "gotten gud" at the combat, and I've gotta say it's pretty great. Only "problem" that's not really a problem is that I keep forgetting to use all my numerous other gadgets besides basic webshooters. Sooner or later I'll try these concussive blasts out if I ever remember in the moment.

concussive blasts are absolutely incredible if you're on a rooftop

dudes just... leave. They are gone. Bye. Spider-man wins.

Impact webbing also serves this purpose if you can angle at an edge or wall

my two main costumes were Scarlet Spider because I like Ben Reilly way too much, and the outfit you get for doing all the Black Cat missions (I like the little claws on it)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I swapped between Classic, Homecoming, Ben Reilly, and weirdly I really liked The Last Stand. I don't remember Spider-Man being in the 3rd X-Men movie, but whatever.

Skwirl posted:

I think it's like 90% time for combat and stealth.

Not just time. Specifically, your score for each henchman takedown is multiplied based on how quickly you take one down after taking another one down. Like you need to chain them to get a high score.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SonicRulez posted:

Not just time. Specifically, your score for each henchman takedown is multiplied based on how quickly you take one down after taking another one down. Like you need to chain them to get a high score.

Yeah, stealth challenge gold runs get tricky because you basically have to play web strike pinball without being seen. It's possible with enough knowledge of the map, but you have to move so fast compared to the typical stealth run that it's super counterintuitive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

He looks like a walking Flair Card

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMVJmK57Wds

I really like the stealth challenges honestly. When you do them right they flow together super naturally and you just feel like how spider-man actually would work in stealth, a bouncing ball of doom.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I swapped between Classic, Homecoming, Ben Reilly, and weirdly I really liked The Last Stand. I don't remember Spider-Man being in the 3rd X-Men movie, but whatever.

I like the Last Stand outfit; it looks like Spider-man by way of the Rocketeer, which is extremely cool in my opinion.

I have my favorites, but there I can't think of a costume that I don't like. It's a great collection, and I enjoyed wearing the wrestling outfit to the ESU costume party. What I would love to see in a future game (if this is feasible; no idea on that) is the option to take an outfit and customize your own color pallet for it. It would be fun to go nuts and design your own spider-suit.

My only complaint with the game as a whole is the presence of the MJ and Miles missions. Has there been a single non-stealth game that was improved with the addition of stealth levels? Developers really need to be asking themselves "could this level be a cutscene?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I actually really enjoyed both of those levels. For mj near the end of the game going through Norman's penthouse with the taser was great, and then the leap of faith off the balcony! . They did such a great job with this game.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I really like the... I don't know, the Spider-man-ness of the game; not the combat or web swinging, which, don't get me wrong, are awesome, but the homeless shelter and the rent problems and the pulling people out of car accidents. The problem with the Arkham Batman games after Asylum were that you didn't feel like a superhero, you felt like an assassin with a robot tank.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I honestly feel like Dan Slott's credit isn't for him doing any actual writing but more that the game cribs pretty heavily from his run, with FEAST, and Peter using gadgets and focusing on his science, on Ock being a big part of the game, and having Mr Negative be a big deal. Kinda like how the MCU films always give a 'Special Thanks' credit to the writers and artists whose runs get used as big inspiration for the films (like TNC, Stelfreeze, Priest, Hudlan and McGregor getting credit for Black Panther)

And yeah, the Mk IV armour got a lot of use for me because it makes the most sense as being a suit that has the gadgets and high-tech stuff from the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I really like the... I don't know, the Spider-man-ness of the game; not the combat or web swinging, which, don't get me wrong, are awesome, but the homeless shelter and the rent problems and the pulling people out of car accidents. The problem with the Arkham Batman games after Asylum were that you didn't feel like a superhero, you felt like an assassin with a robot tank.

Yeah, I really appreciate the game spends a lot of time on focusing on the non-punching things Peter does to help people. It really really helps emphasize that he wants to help people, not beat people up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I honestly feel like Dan Slott's credit isn't for him doing any actual writing but more that the game cribs pretty heavily from his run, with FEAST, and Peter using gadgets and focusing on his science, on Ock being a big part of the game, and having Mr Negative be a big deal. Kinda like how the MCU films always give a 'Special Thanks' credit to the writers and artists whose runs get used as big inspiration for the films (like TNC, Stelfreeze, Priest, Hudlan and McGregor getting credit for Black Panther)

Nah, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Slott wrote most or all of the script for the ending. The painfully idealistic Peter of his ASM run feels really on-brand for how he's crying at the end of the game as he leaves Otto in a broken heap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also on brand for Gage, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gage's protagonists tend to be a lot more grimly pragmatic than that.

Like, Peter just leaving Otto lying on the floor like that is something I could see from a Gage joint, but he wouldn't be as upset.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wheras Ditko Spider man would have had a disgusted look on his face and tossed out a platitude about making bad choices at ock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Wheras Ditko Spider man would have had a disgusted look on his face and tossed out a platitude about making bad choices at ock.

Well duh. Ditko would've had MJ be the one fretting over when to stop caring for and trying to redeem a friend, and Peter would sneer and explain that as soon as one chooses a life of crime, they have forfeited all right to empathy.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

ZDar Fan posted:

What I would love to see in a future game (if this is feasible; no idea on that) is the option to take an outfit and customize your own color pallet for it. It would be fun to go nuts and design your own spider-suit.

poo poo yeah, why stop at color pallets? Tekken and a few other games now let you mix and match costume pieces while staying within the character's "theme" or whatever; being able to swap different costume textures with different masks, or decide if you want the little web underarms on a suit that didn't have it or whatever would be kickin' rad

re: the stealth stuff, some of it was good and some of it was really wonky. I enjoyed MJing around and solving weird statue puzzles, for example, and tazing dudes in Osborn's loft. Almost every Miles bit I had to redo because I ended up breaking scripted sequences--like, hacking something too early so the NPC refuses to respond to it or whatever. I also ran a huge circle around the Rhino zone like five times trying to figure out what I could and could not climb on. I know the game's trying to tell me Miles is a good hacker, but I started the game with Pete jacking into a borough-wide police surveillance system. Miles sneaking around and remotely turning on boomboxes is not doing it for me.

In my totally unpaid opinion, the non-Spider-man parts should have been less sneaking and more puzzles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

MJ's first level being a late '90s-style adventure game with PS4 graphics was pretty much in a sweet spot for me. The rest of them did feel a little too scripted.

Adding some more mechanics would've been a nice way to make them more freeform, like more borrowed Spider-tech or multiple ways through.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Well duh. Ditko would've had MJ be the one fretting over when to stop caring for and trying to redeem a friend, and Peter would sneer and explain that as soon as one chooses a life of crime, they have forfeited all right to empathy.

Ditko never drew MJ.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I put an insane amount of hours into the Arkham series, but the stories in all the games were just garbage. Where as this game and it's universe feel fully fleshed out and alive and you care about the characters which leads to some real gut punches as it progresses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

And yeah, the Mk IV armour got a lot of use for me because it makes the most sense as being a suit that has the gadgets and high-tech stuff from the game.

Coogler did actually talk to TNC during the production of Black Panther. Apparently they're friends, and that's how he got the information on Stelfreeze's idea for the kinetic absorbtion suit long before the comic was published.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^Oh, I'm aware. Massive amounts of how Wakanda looks and how their tech is presented is from Stelfreeze and TNC's run. Like the bracelets.

Skwirl posted:

Ditko never drew MJ.

I'm aware. It was a joke about his Objectivist comics, made about an actual thing that happens in-game, with MJ. Who is in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really laughed at the scene where Peter is over at MJ's making dinner and she chides him for just leaving his clothes on her kitchen floor when changing into his costume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I put an insane amount of hours into the Arkham series, but the stories in all the games were just garbage. Where as this game and it's universe feel fully fleshed out and alive and you care about the characters which leads to some real gut punches as it progresses.

Asylum and City's stories aren't garbage. They're not masterpieces, but I wouldn't call them garbage. Asylum suffers from the need to stuff villains into rather ridiculous scenarios just to make the plot go, and City suffers from the entire premise being stupid, but hey that's comics. Origins and Knight are garbage. (Actually I'd say that the first half of Origin's plot is good but of course motherfucking Joker hijacks the plot and it rapidly turns to poo poo)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They all suffer from some Jeph Loeb style over-stuffing. It feels like you face the whole rogues gallery every game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

remusclaw posted:

They all suffer from some Jeph Loeb style over-stuffing. It feels like you face the whole rogues gallery every game.

Which would be fine if they didn't insist on making every game take place over like 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"The Arkham Knight is a completely original character that can act as Rocksteady's contribution to the Batman mythos, our Harley Quinn!"

*The Arkham Knight is the first character anyone who has read the comics would guess and turns into the Red Hood halfway in*