Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

the Presidents thread has a bunch of interesting stories of the stories behind how many presidents got elected. Before the primary system, sometimes they'd literally get chosen because there were two popular candidates and candidate number 3 didn't have any enemies.

Yeah John Quincy Adams became president despite losing both the popular and electoral votes, because it was a 4 way election and the winner (Andrew Jackson) had a plurality, not a majority, which meant that it went to the weird rules rather than just giving it to him.

I think that technically that can still happen according to the rules. It's just that the practical chance of a close race between more than two candidates in the modern US is slim to none because of how dominant the two major parties have become at all levels of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mcmuffin's strategy in 2016 was to try to spoil Trump's majority into a plurality, then get picked by the legislators as a less-awful choice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think most states require you to pick a party (or just go independent) at the time you register regardless of whether you intend to vote in a primary or not.

Over 30, yeah. My understanding is that the remainder require you to declare a party when you go to a primary (valid only for that primary, but you only get to pull e.g. a Democratic, Republican, etc. primary ballot).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Closed primaries are also so that people can’t sabotage opposing primaries (and still get to vote in their favored one, at least). You still see this where campaigns will fund spoiler candidates in secret to try and divide their opponents’ votes in the primary

This is all still an artifact of First Past the Post and would be greatly helped by Single Transferable Vote, but we’re not allowed to have nice things so...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tunicate posted:

Mcmuffin's strategy in 2016 was to try to spoil Trump's majority into a plurality, then get picked by the legislators as a less-awful choice.

I'm pretty sure McMullin was actually trying to throw the election to Hillary, figuring it was better for the Republican party in the long term.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DarkHorse posted:

Closed primaries are also so that people can’t sabotage opposing primaries (and still get to vote in their favored one, at least). You still see this where campaigns will fund spoiler candidates in secret to try and divide their opponents’ votes in the primary

This is all still an artifact of First Past the Post and would be greatly helped by Single Transferable Vote, but we’re not allowed to have nice things so...

Of course, you could be like other countries and just, not have primaries :shrug:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Of course, you could be like other countries and just, not have primaries :shrug:

Yes, I totally want the candidate to represent me to be chosen by the Speaker of the House / Minority Leader.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It might be worth noting here that primaries are a relatively recent invention. Up until the 70s nominees were selected by convention delegates which gave party big shots a lot of control. After the 1968 Democratic convention turned into a giant shitshow states started instituting systems to popularly elect pledged delegates. As stupid as they can be they're actually a step forward.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you give an example?
A general rule of fairness in election systems is that duplicates of a candidate shouldn't hurt the candidate.,
For example, if we were running an election on where to eat:

Steak Shack
Veganmania

Adding copies of one choice shouldn't decimate its chances for winning.
Steak Shack
Veganmania on 1st street
Veganmania on 8th street
Veganmania down by the wharf
Veganmaina at the college

Edit:

Actually, if people want to talk about this, do you all want to take it to a new thread?

Dr. Arbitrary has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Sep 14, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'd love to follow a thread about voting systems and the theory and math behind them. Link us if you make one

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd love to follow a thread about voting systems and the theory and math behind them. Link us if you make one

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Colour me interested too.

Also, from the MLB thread by way of the NBA and NFL threads:

That atmospheric pressure cheat code. :wow:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TinTower posted:

Colour me interested too.

Also, from the MLB thread by way of the NBA and NFL threads:

That atmospheric pressure cheat code. :wow:
ah yes, the atmospheric pressure in home of the #2 most favored NFL team *squints* Foxborough, Massachusetts

I'm not sorry, I couldn't resist

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What I wanna know is why the sports are in that order.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's alphabetical by league abbreviation.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Interesting how it has so much more influence on an "inside" sport like basketball.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ah yes, the atmospheric pressure in home of the #2 most favored NFL team *squints* Foxborough, Massachusetts

I'm not sorry, I couldn't resist

Like the Broncos, they're actually helped by lower pressures.

LostCosmonaut has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Sep 14, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

frankenfreak posted:

Interesting how it has so much more influence on an "inside" sport like basketball.

It could just be that the team gets so used to the particular quirks of the court that even if it's all within regulation, you're still going to have floorboards with maybe slightly different springiness or grip to them, or other tiny things that you'd get used to if you practiced there all the time but might throw you off a bit if you're used to a different feeling.

Especially considering that compared to an outside sport, the play area itself probably doesn't change nearly so much, physically, so there's more time to get used to it. Like on a football field the dirt gets all churned up and the grass changes over time and so on. A basketball court might get the occasional re-waxing but barring some kind of accidental damage it's not really going to see to much variation over time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The air pressure indoors is basically the same as the air pressure outdoors. But there's a difference in how much aerobic exercise, like running, is involved in playing the sport, and thus how much breathing is involved, and thus how much it's impacted by being acclimated to lower air pressure.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Freakonomics actually looked into the home field advantage, the TL;DR is that the home field advantage is largely because the judge is friendlier to the home team because their fans are louder.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bongo Bill posted:

The air pressure indoors is basically the same as the air pressure outdoors. But there's a difference in how much aerobic exercise, like running, is involved in playing the sport, and thus how much breathing is involved, and thus how much it's impacted by being acclimated to lower air pressure.
I forgot about oxygen completely tbh. Definitely explains why it seems to be a bigger factor in basketball than in baseball, even if the Rockies get a lot of mileage out of the altitude they're playing at.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

klafbang posted:

Freakonomics actually looked into the home field advantage, the TL;DR is that the home field advantage is largely because the judge is friendlier to the home team because their fans are louder.

the thing about freakonomics is that its 100% correlation without causation. they just posit some coincidence and say "wow, think about it, makes sense right?" sure, or the judge is hostile to the away team. who knows? definitely not the freakonomicists

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

the thing about freakonomics is that its 100% correlation without causation. they just posit some coincidence and say "wow, think about it, makes sense right?" sure, or the judge is hostile to the away team. who knows? definitely not the freakonomicists

The fact that the graph breaks it down by sport and there's a pretty clear difference between sports might help to prove or disprove some of those conjectures. Like how much impact does the referee have in each sport (or I guess umpire for baseball), vs. how much leeway they're given when making judgement calls? If the sports where the ref has the most impact and freedom show the lowest home team advantage, then you can immediately throw that out as a potential reason.

Although granted the graph itself also raises a lot of questions, like how do they measure an "equal caliber" opponent. Like sure you can look at stats and compare teams that have roughly equal win/loss ratios but often you get a team that's just so far ahead of the league that no meaningful comparison can really be made.

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 09:19 on Sep 15, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In the US, there's no proportional representation in parliamentary bodies, everything is all or nothing (except with Maine's electoral college votes.

And Nebraska :colbert:

In 2008 Obama won Omaha’s vote for the first blue vote in Nebraska since LBJ.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ulmont posted:

Yes, I totally want the candidate to represent me to be chosen by the Speaker of the House / Minority Leader.

That's not how it is done here but rather (in general, it depends on the party's rules) the party assembly votes on nominees and party chairman (who would also be the PM candidate). All party members can vote. For parliamentary and municipal elections the voter can choose from a larger list of candidates, anyway, as this is not FPTP. Say what you will about that, but Trump could only win in a primary system where his babbling could sway the unwashed fascist masses to vote him over Jeb!. A system that bad has to go.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

As found on TWITTER, no less!

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Didn't know misquoting someone or failing to note page numbers were plagiarism.

"The mo you know."
- Et Al, PHD

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

klafbang posted:

And in some cases, most famously Manchester United and the New England Patriots, home field advantage happens because the coach is an rear end in a top hat and the referees don’t want to have to deal with his whining.

Of course, this does feed into a persecution complex whenever the rules are administered fairly (see, for example, the Pats going from the biggest defenders of the catch rule when it got them the #1 seed last year to one of the biggest critics when it lost them the Super Bowl)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Today I learned it's possible to plagiarize yourself.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The real offense is using a (very poorly laid out) flowchart for what amounts to a scale.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powered Descent posted:

Oh, definitely. It can either be innocuous or meaningful. Say you sold the rights to previous work to a publisher; if you're using some of that work in something new then you're "self-plagiarizing". Or, say you publish essentially the same paper in two journals.

SupSuper posted:

The real offense is using a (very poorly laid out) flowchart for what amounts to a scale.

Yeah, that's the main issue I have with it. I didn't read enough to see whether it's any good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powered Descent posted:

I hate that this is called plagiarism, but it's absolutely something that an academic can get in trouble for. When you publish a paper, you generally have to turn the copyright over to the journal that accepts it so that they can distribute it without having to get your signature on innumerable forms. If you then turn around and copy a substantial amount of text from that paper and publish it in a different journal, then that can become an issue.

The solution is to completely scrap the journal system and replace it with something sane, but until then, we have to worry about this poo poo.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

im glad this author wrote something that nobody would want to copy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter posted:

When you publish a paper, you generally have to turn the copyright over to the journal that accepts it so that they can distribute it without having to get your signature on innumerable forms.

Granting them a broad licence would work fine but the journals want it all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Granting them a broad licence would work fine but the journals want it all.

Now that I think about it the issue is not just the copyright but the misrepresentation of old work as new.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now that I think about it the issue is not just the copyright but the misrepresentation of old work as new.

I don't know how common it is for academic journals, but I have for sure read history books that had chapters copied from the author's earlier work, with minor edits. Gave me a feeling of mad deja vu.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think the content is fine, but I would think someone that brands themselves as "The Visual Communication Guy" it would have less words and it wouldn't be laid out like a garbage pile.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Isnt the number of times a paper is cited one of the biggest metrics? Cite yourself and get your own numbers up!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sentient Data posted:

Get more citations with this one weird trick!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Xenoborg posted:

Isnt the number of times a paper is cited one of the biggest metrics? Cite yourself and get your own numbers up!

Yeah. Researchers discovered and exploited that, so then "impact" became important (it's basically pagerank for scientific citations). Then journals started adding requirements "you have to cite 5 of our previously published papers" to inflate impact, so impact became cross-journal. Luckily, most journals are owned by just a handful of publishers, so the same trick worked, except "cite 5 papers from this vaguely related one we also own." Then I left research so there's probably something dumber now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

TinTower posted:

And in some cases, most famously Manchester United and the New England Patriots, home field advantage happens because the coach is an rear end in a top hat and the referees don’t want to have to deal with his whining.

Of course, this does feed into a persecution complex whenever the rules are administered fairly (see, for example, the Pats going from the biggest defenders of the catch rule when it got them the #1 seed last year to one of the biggest critics when it lost them the Super Bowl)

This idea that it's all about the referee just doesn't seem to tally (specifically for 'soccer').

In the English Premier League last year 80 penalties were awarded over the course of 380 games. That's a max of 21% of games having a penalty kick awarded, although it'll actually be lower than that as presumably some games had 2+ penalties awarded. There's obviously free kicks, yellow/red cards and even offside decisions as well, but even if you worked out how many incorrect decisions led to a goal being either scored or disallowed I suspect the percentage of games in which this happened would be negligible.

Professional footballers, when playing a home game in the afternoon, generally follow a routine of getting up in the morning, having a light breakfast, a light workout and a high-carb lunch. Between them they'll be discussing tactics with the manager and other coaches - at most clubs this'll be done in a purpose-built conference room of some sort, and these days will include a powerpoint presentation complete with pictures of opposing players and so forth. Any visits to pysiotherapists, doctors, sports scientists etc will be done at this time as well, and players will try on their kit long before the game so the kit staff can sort out problems well in advance of the game starting. They'll be shielded from the media; many clubs specifically instruct their non-playing staff not to even bring in a newspaper incase a player sees something in it that will affect his games. They'll go out properly warmed up and with strategy and tactics fresh in their heads because they'll have been going over it literally minutes before.

Contrast this with footballers who have to travel to an away game. They'll also have a light breakfast and workout, before sitting on a coach for several hours. There may or may not be a tactical discussion at this point, but even if there is it'll consist of bits of paper being passed around, and little chance for proper discussion. On arrival at the club they'll be taken to the away dressing room, which is usually of sub-standard quality to the home dressing room (intentionally). Then they've got to wolf down some food before a pre-match warm up on whichever part of the pitch the groundskeeping staff aren't coincidentally having to do some work on at that very moment.

There's all sorts of other things the home side can do as well; in Scotland, Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers complained last season that Hearts were letting the grass grow too long on their pitch which stopped them being able to pass the ball as well. In August Hearts beat Celtic 1-0 at home, and shortly after posted this on Twitter.

Rant over. Sorry I don't have a graph :(