Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

you'll note that at no point was it an option to put the car in neutral and push it out of the intersection, like you would do with literally any other vehicle. to the extent that the cops just started directing traffic around it

tow mode is the car in neutral with no one in it

as opposed to regular neutral for tesla which immediately turns into park if you get out of the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i genuinely don't understand why teslas can't be put into neutral without power. it's a goddamned electric car. with no power it should just coast like a skateboard

Presumably if you're on a mountain road and your car bluescreens you would want it to start braking instead of turning into a skateboard. Do teslas have manual emergency brakes?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mewse posted:

Presumably if you're on a mountain road and your car bluescreens you would want it to start braking instead of turning into a skateboard. Do teslas have manual emergency brakes?

do firetrucks count

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

exploded mummy posted:

tow mode is the car in neutral with no one in it

as opposed to regular neutral for tesla which immediately turns into park if you get out of the car

transport mode requires 12v power and the entertainment system to operate, supposedly that worked for the guy, but for whatever reason they just left him in the middle of the intersection

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

prisoner of waffles posted:

sure this is A Concern but "car without power should be movable by normal tow truck/determined pushing" is (or should be!) way more important

if only the car company CEO didn't believe in safety third

(I helped a coworker push his electric car 2.5 blocks to get it from where it had lost power to the company parking lot once, it was actually the most fun I had at that job. Pushing very heavy things that roll pretty well is very satisfying exercise IME)

yeah, the times our coaches in high school had us push a car around the parking lot were some of the most fun exercises we ever did

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the battery in my car once died dead-dead because the brake pedal switch stuck and the lights stayed on for like 2 days. no starter click, radio wouldn't even power up, so bc it's fuel injected i couldn't push-start it. no one around to jump start. didn't want to call AAA.

so i got a 12v lithium battery from a radio controlled car, popped the hood open, and wired the rc car battery to the car's battery with alligator clips. that supplies maybe 20A max, not enough to start the engine (hundreds of amps) but enough to boot up the ecu and run the fuel pump. left the hood open, put the car in neutral, and pushed it around the corner to a downhill, looking around the hood while pushing on the doorframe and steering with the other hand. started rolling downhill, hopped in, threw it into second and popped the clutch, varooooom

ran the engine for a few minutes before disconnecting the lithium battery to make sure it wouldn't die before the lead-acid got some charge. worked great and the car is still fine years later. only casualty was the lithium puffed up with hydrogen something awful but it was like 15 bucks on hobbyking so w/e

try THAT in your tesla, elonailures!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's a really good way to blow up a lithium battery, that's for sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah lol the alternator in my car is rated at 95 amps output and the lithium battery could safely take maybe 4-5A charge absolute max.

i had a fire extinguisher though so whatever, it's only over the limit by a factor of twenty

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

something awful

:imunfunny:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Hey, that's the name of the show!

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

Sagebrush posted:

yeah lol the alternator in my car is rated at 95 amps output and the lithium battery could safely take maybe 4-5A charge absolute max.

i had a fire extinguisher though so whatever, it's only over the limit by a factor of twenty

now that's the tesla way!

safety third!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the battery in my car once died dead-dead because the brake pedal switch stuck and the lights stayed on for like 2 days. no starter click, radio wouldn't even power up, so bc it's fuel injected i couldn't push-start it. no one around to jump start. didn't want to call AAA.

why not, AAA's usually pretty responsive when i've called

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sagebrush posted:

only casualty was the lithium puffed up with hydrogen something awful but it was like 15 bucks on hobbyking so w/e

jesus christ. you've just disqualified yourself from ever discussing electric vehicle safety

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the upshot is, the car started and i was able to drive to the hospital to have my 3rd degree burns treated

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

after the fire dept extinguished the fire, insurance paid for a new car so all's well that ends well

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
guys he had a fire extinguisher handy sheesh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

also lol @ no service centers in michigan

how much you wanna bet that's because musk is a pissy baby and he wants to stick it to BIG AUTO and anyone who lives in the vicinity (collaborators)

franchise laws

unsurprisingly michigan didn’t jump to change the law to allow auto manufacturers to make direct sales like so many other states dud

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

why not, AAA's usually pretty responsive when i've called

toxic masculinity

redleader posted:

jesus christ. you've just disqualified yourself from ever discussing electric vehicle safety

buddy, i've forgotten more about electrical safety than you'll ever know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

buddy, i've forgotten more about electrical safety than you'll ever know

oh, i believe it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

toxic masculinity

and besides, you'd probably need at least a D-cell for a car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at seizing on that one goofy point to try to take sagebrush down just lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what?

we're just loling that dude nearly blew himself up trying to jump his car with a drone battery

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's pretty funny tbh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a little pop at worst. a good part of engineering is learning what things are truly dangerous (building entire floors out of forklifted and subsequently epoxy-filled battery cells) and what things arent (sacrificing a cheapo little thing to get yourself to work in the morning)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Did you lose a finger? No? Perfectly safe.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

a little pop at worst. a good part of engineering is learning what things are truly dangerous (building entire floors out of forklifted and subsequently epoxy-filled battery cells) and what things arent (sacrificing a cheapo little thing to get yourself to work in the morning)

my dude, even very small lithium cells pop rather violently when inappropriately charged/discharged. he wasn't gonna literally blow himself up, but a 12v drone battery "popping" from unmanaged thermals and hydrogen expansion is gonna be messy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's funny that he would do that, because he knows it's not a good idea.

you don't need to stan sagebrush just because people are loling @ his hubris

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

oh, i believe it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

sacrificing a cheapo little thing to get yourself to work in the morning

extremely not worth it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s dignity, luann!

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
i mean tbf a lithium pack with a protection circuit to keep it from going bang when the alternator kicked back in would have been fine i think. rip his battery though, they don't tend to like deep discharge followed by high current charging. similar with alternator/voltage regulator, both of those got a workout. could be worse.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

also lol @ no service centers in michigan

how much you wanna bet that's because musk is a pissy baby and he wants to stick it to BIG AUTO and anyone who lives in the vicinity (collaborators)

iirc since they refuse to set up dealerships they’re unable to service vehicles here

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i looked it up and Michigan has a law against OEMs setting up sales/service places and require everything to be done through a third party dealership which is hilarious

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

given how big the manufacturers were (and still are, i suppose) i wonder how that law came to be. like, it smacks of lobbying by the automotive dealers’ guild of michigan or whatever the gently caress they are, but on the other hand you’d think that any legislation that would’ve severely hamstrung the big three would’ve been DOA.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

on the one hand i admire sagebrush's thinking and ingenuity in this case but on the other darkest_dungeon_overconfidence.wav

that's my horribly fencepost take thank u for reading

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

akadajet posted:

yospos: i love computers loving

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
we did it friends

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1041469078194446336?s=19

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

wait what

someone explain, im confus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it spells “sex”!!!

:awesomelon::sissies::awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

President Beep posted:

it spells “sex”!!!

:awesomelon::sissies::awesomelon:

and it smells like desperation