Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Trade Charters kinda break Ming in the mid/late game - I noticed that Ming's mandate was tanking in the early 1700, but couldn't figure out why - then I noticed that AI Manchu sold a coastal province that bordered Ming to... Great Britain.

This mechanic really needed more time in the oven.

AI Ming is kind of dumb about Mandate in general. They blob a lot more now, and in my Mughals game they expanded to my own borders and their mandate immediately tanked.

I'm not sure how China works in general. Is there some endgame to the whole Mandate plan where they can like reform or something and ditch that mechanic? Otherwise, what's a player Ming meant to do when you reach other large empires who won't pay tribute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's no reform. You either maintain the mandate forever by strategic use of vassals blocking up direct connections or purposefully ditch it early but face 20 years of harsh penalties. You can, however, declare war for 'Force Tributary State' on any neighbour no matter the size. For Great Power countries their liberty desire would probably be 100% and would remain tributary until the duration of the truce, BUT nothing prevents you from taking provinces and slowly chipping away at them during those wars.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not sure how China works in general. Is there some endgame to the whole Mandate plan where they can like reform or something and ditch that mechanic? Otherwise, what's a player Ming meant to do when you reach other large empires who won't pay tribute?

E;f,b.

No. There are reforms which strengthen you, such as a +1 to monarch adm points, but you never lose the mechanic.

As for strong neighbor, you're supposed to declare a war on them and *make* them pay tribute. Don't know how that works out vs actual GP enemies. My longest game as Ming ended around 1600, some decades after I got the Kow-Tow cheevo. That was before the nerf to tribute range, tho, so it got pretty silly.

"Hello there Great Plains statelets, I've just founded a colony on the Californian coast. How would you like to be my tributaries?"

"Sounds great! We'll be sure to send ~200 soldiers over the Rockies to fight for you every year, now and forever."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

Trade Charters kinda break Ming in the mid/late game - I noticed that Ming's mandate was tanking in the early 1700, but couldn't figure out why - then I noticed that AI Manchu sold a coastal province that bordered Ming to... Great Britain.
Good. Ming shouldnt even be Ming by that point so this makes me happy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah it was dumb when they would inevitably fracture within the first 150 years, but them collapsing by 1700 sounds fine really. Would be good if there were something to help them reunify before the end of the game though.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
No, no, no. I say uh gently caress UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

speaking of seeding institutions, what should i be doing with that as timurids? its 1500 and ive just about finished my missions and am about to tag to mughals, it seems like my land is so massive and poor that seeding instiutions would take forever
(also i rolled 3/4 6 shock generals, ama)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

speaking of seeding institutions, what should i be doing with that as timurids? its 1500 and ive just about finished my missions and am about to tag to mughals, it seems like my land is so massive and poor that seeding instiutions would take forever
Why havent you conquered where the institutions spawned?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the ottomans are in the way

(also im bad)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

StashAugustine posted:

The area around Khujand is farmlands, which is nice for seeding. It is kinda in the corner of your empire though but it will still work. Once you get going into the Delhi area you'll pick up more provinces that are good for developing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm surprised that the Timuids dont start off owning Samarkand and that it isnt some megacity that has an event that cuts its dev in half at some point.

StashAugustine posted:

the ottomans are in the way

(also im bad)
Fair.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kind of rude how the viceroyalty of the Deccan mission “reward” forces you make a choice between moving your capital to some shitsville in the jungle, or giving up an enormous chunk of your territory to a vassal, just for having the audacity to try and find out what the reward actually is.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

Kind of rude how the viceroyalty of the Deccan mission “reward” forces you make a choice between moving your capital to some shitsville in the jungle, or giving up an enormous chunk of your territory to a vassal, just for having the audacity to try and find out what the reward actually is.
Moving your capital for free sounds great to me. Seed an institution in your original capital (leveraging the dev discount from it being your capital) then it gets moved for free so you can do it again without paying the relocation fee.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

It's probably a reward in the sense that by that point in the mission tree, you'll be facing a gigantic corruption penalty due to the territories/states ratio. So giving a lot of development away to a vassal would help?

I don't know, as the Mughals I still have to finish the second-to-last mission because I don't fancy a war with the loving Pope (and his allies GB, France and a horde of minors) who bought a province from Vijanyagar before I could kill them off... anyway I make enough money to keep the reduce corruption slider maxed out so it's only at 15 or so, so gently caress vassals :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 16, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Moving your capital for free sounds great to me. Seed an institution in your original capital (leveraging the dev discount from it being your capital) then it gets moved for free so you can do it again without paying the relocation fee.

If you're playing as ~theoretical optimal man~ then you have all those provinces as TCs and certainly don't want to move your capital into the Dirt Continent Of Asia which will crush the wonderful mystic powers of your trade companies

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Definitely conquer your way into the Ganges as soon as possible, it's pretty much all grasslands and farmlands with a ton of trade cities.

PS getting a world trade center in a state with mostly farmlands is I N S A N E for institution seeding.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the tips. Shoukd I kusy get it in one procince and pay or wait to spread? Seems like the spread would be real slow on a nation that big

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Combination of both. The cost is somewhat dependent on the country's total development numbers not yet institutionalized. If you can get it to spread to high dev provinces (which also pick up institutions faster) nearby, it'll cut the cost relatively significantly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone know if there is a message setting to alert me whenever a nation forms/switches tag? I tried searching “form”, “new”, etc but couldn’t find it

TorakFade posted:

It's probably a reward in the sense that by that point in the mission tree, you'll be facing a gigantic corruption penalty due to the territories/states ratio. So giving a lot of development away to a vassal would help?

I don't know, as the Mughals I still have to finish the second-to-last mission because I don't fancy a war with the loving Pope (and his allies GB, France and a horde of minors) who bought a province from Vijanyagar before I could kill them off... anyway I make enough money to keep the reduce corruption slider maxed out so it's only at 15 or so, so gently caress vassals :v:

You must be going absolutely apeshit as Mughals if you’re worried about the territory corruption penalty like at all, I’m sitting here on 4000+ dev and the penalty is completely canceled out by my stability/ahead of time tech bonuses. Granted I have no colonial game or anything. Mughals are v good

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you start out as the full swinging dick Timurids you're already way over your state cap after annexing your vassals so even the big stack of extra states the game throws at you for being the Mughals isn't that big of a deal

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

skasion posted:

You must be going absolutely apeshit as Mughals if you’re worried about the territory corruption penalty like at all, I’m sitting here on 4000+ dev and the penalty is completely canceled out by my stability/ahead of time tech bonuses. Granted I have no colonial game or anything. Mughals are v good

Went a bit apeshit, I own all of Persia (plus up to Georgia and Dagestan), most of Arabia, 99% of India, all of continental SE Asia and south China. Even with all the +states government reforms (55 states currently, only 2 +state tech remaining and still quite far away) I still get +0.80 corruption/year due to territories/states ratio :v: having the slider maxed out is -1, having overextension amounts to about +0.3-0.4 at a time if you don't go overboard so it's floating around the same value (15) with little chance for a significant decrease.

And since it's only 1710 or so, I still plan to conquer all of Ming's remaining lands now that their mandate is well and truly tanked by a 6000 development monster biting off their southern lands, that will bring the penalty to the full -1 for sure.

Edit: by this point any "penalty" is merely a nuisance since I've pretty much won the game 50 years ago, but still

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I must be just bad at Mughals. After making the shift from Timurids in early 1500s, I instantly went from a good extra income to losing 20+ ducats a month (Guess timurid ideas were better than I knew). Institutions are still lagging behind, though for once my Ottoman friends offered to let me look at their homework a couple of times.

Managed to conquer all of the rim of the Persian Gulf, Armenia, Iran, a good chunk of steppe territory, and the path toward Delhi. I own tons of trade bonus provinces, but I'm yet to see a decent income boost. Gonna get started on devouring India proper now and hope that's the right thing to do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I must be just bad at Mughals. After making the shift from Timurids in early 1500s, I instantly went from a good extra income to losing 20+ ducats a month (Guess timurid ideas were better than I knew). Institutions are still lagging behind, though for once my Ottoman friends offered to let me look at their homework a couple of times.

Managed to conquer all of the rim of the Persian Gulf, Armenia, Iran, a good chunk of steppe territory, and the path toward Delhi. I own tons of trade bonus provinces, but I'm yet to see a decent income boost. Gonna get started on devouring India proper now and hope that's the right thing to do.

Check your trade setup, somewhere in making that shift you may have accidentally moved your trade capital to somewhere that puts you at a big disadvantage. Until you've made some inroads on India, it should probably be somewhere in the Persia node. You can make enormous amounts of money from tax/production alone as Mughals but it's nice to be sure that all your tradebucks aren't getting hosed off to Gulf of Aden or something.

Devouring India is always the right thing to do.

Bonus: what the gently caress, France.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sephyr posted:

The trade nodes in North India are proper hosed up and forming Mughals will have moved your capital (and therefore also your trade capital) into a really lovely spot.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Went a bit apeshit, I own all of Persia (plus up to Georgia and Dagestan), most of Arabia, 99% of India, all of continental SE Asia and south China. Even with all the +states government reforms (55 states currently, only 2 +state tech remaining and still quite far away) I still get +0.80 corruption/year due to territories/states ratio :v: having the slider maxed out is -1, having overextension amounts to about +0.3-0.4 at a time if you don't go overboard so it's floating around the same value (15) with little chance for a significant decrease.

And since it's only 1710 or so, I still plan to conquer all of Ming's remaining lands now that their mandate is well and truly tanked by a 6000 development monster biting off their southern lands, that will bring the penalty to the full -1 for sure.

Edit: by this point any "penalty" is merely a nuisance since I've pretty much won the game 50 years ago, but still

In my Mughals game I was well over the 6000 development mark and had bitten off about 80 percent overextensions worth of land from the Ottomans. Even with the root out corruption slider set to max I was still gaining corruption. I never really felt the territory penalty before that as I was raking in a ridiculous income from my land but I decided to end it there. Took everything I knew of to raise the state cap so I guess past a certain point of expansion corruption's gonna get ya.

Thank gently caress for Threaten War, though. Used that option to snatch about 6 trade company provinces away from euros that I needed for missions.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

The trade nodes in North India are proper hosed up and forming Mughals will have moved your capital (and therefore also your trade capital) into a really lovely spot.

Holy crap, that's it! I should have seen it sooner. Do I change capital again, collect somewhere else to fix it? Or just devour all the India I can without forming coalitions to get more of the flow?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just moved my trade capital back to Persia anyways. If you conquer westward then you can move it to an even better location.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

I just moved my trade capital back to Persia anyways. If you conquer westward then you can move it to an even better location.

Gotcha. Gonna cost a big chunk of mana since no provinces there are as developed (even Teheran would take 370 admin!), but it's a fix. Thanks!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Gotcha. Gonna cost a big chunk of mana since no provinces there are as developed (even Teheran would take 370 admin!), but it's a fix. Thanks!

You probably want to just move your main trade port, not your capital. You need Wealth of Nations to do that though.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't understand the rules for moving Capital anymore it seems. In my Mughal game I moved it to Ragusa to get TCs and was actually allowed to do that.
Wasn't there some "only same continent" rule for moving capital, so you couldn't move it to the New World as Colonizer to prevent CNs?

Three campaign into this patch: I hope they revert the territory change in a hot fix and nerf TCs or allow them for everyone. Current balance is pretty retarded. Getting +0.5 army tradition for a one time fee of 7.5k (?) gold was pretty laughable too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Either that or add trade company regions to Europe for non-Europeans.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tahirovic posted:

Wasn't there some "only same continent" rule for moving capital, so you couldn't move it to the New World as Colonizer to prevent CNs?

I think the restriction is not "only same continent", but "not into colonial region".

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's just hosed up how you make bad territories into magical production and trade land with one button press. Basically, never have your capital in Asia.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Does anybody know what determines who is the leader of the Protestants in the league war?

I’m Protestant France in an MP game and was instantly made leader when I joined, I’d like to keep it that way and avoid losing it before I get chance to declare the war.

I have read it’s Protestant electors primarily but it switched from them to me immediately so maybe something like development/autonomy related?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fellblade posted:

Does anybody know what determines who is the leader of the Protestants in the league war?

I’m Protestant France in an MP game and was instantly made leader when I joined, I’d like to keep it that way and avoid losing it before I get chance to declare the war.

I have read it’s Protestant electors primarily but it switched from them to me immediately so maybe something like development/autonomy related?

Its based on military strength iirc. If you go to the league war screen and hover over tags it will show their score in relation to being the leader.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also note that to prevent rapid leader switching, a country needs a significant power advantage over the current leader to take their place.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the info guys, shouldn't be a problem then unless I lose all my troops in another war or something then.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Does anyone happen to know how to get the Poland achievement for pacifying the Sejm nowadays? I went through the event, am a normal monarchy now, and passed my last government reform but I still haven’t got it.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

gently caress my rear end.

Ottoman cock suckers wouldnt stay in their loving lane and they started buying land in india. Deciding I should gently caress him now I dropped the alliance. Then ming attacks chagatai who I've been protecting so I dump a lot of manpower stupidly into destorying ming. Then the ottomans (I took no land in the ming war) suddenly acquired a magical 160 AE against me and immediately joined the standing indian coalition against me. Now, I will prob be fine here since its just stupid transoxiana that war decced on me. I figure if I step on him I can prob just pick off armies piecemeal.

But, Ottos loved me before I ended the alliance so how the gently caress did they get all that AE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

Does anyone happen to know how to get the Poland achievement for pacifying the Sejm nowadays? I went through the event, am a normal monarchy now, and passed my last government reform but I still haven’t got it.
Did you have to murder thousands of them in the fields?