Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I always wound up dumping fluid into the top of a drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Actual answer: I think both ways work, but the inward drain has to be part of a fully-legal level of smeltery blocks. I thought in the past I could just kind of pop a drain up by itself on top and it'd all go. I might be hallucinating again.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Actual answer: I think both ways work, but the inward drain has to be part of a fully-legal level of smeltery blocks. I thought in the past I could just kind of pop a drain up by itself on top and it'd all go. I might be hallucinating again.

I don't remember that ever working.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
No, the drain definitely needs to be part of the multiblock proper, i.e. a full layer of blocks. Note that the corner blocks don't count, but it can be on any layer of the multiblock.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's legit to put a drain on the top layer of the smeltery and pipe it into the top of the block, though

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
Any interest in an Enigmatica 2 Expert server?

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I might be down but I'm getting to the endgame of that pack in single player and dammit I'm not giving up after connecting all the things and doing all the stuff. Although it would be fun, so yeah I'd be in.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Are there any modded goon servers still online? Got the minecraft itch and want to duo with a friend but everything seems down. :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Here's some Enigmatic 2 spam to liven up the thread:

Can somebody contrast Engimatica 2's changes to EnderIO to how it is used normally? I found it quite stark to have to light up some bedrock to even get started with the mod. Previously, it really just took getting to some redstone and a ton of iron. Will the wired charger also be something I can use to charge up all those wands that are in the loot? I was gunning for that last night and I wonder if I'm about to waste my time.

Is there a better alternative I should be looking for starting up power generation? Intro power seems to really shift every few months. To think that canola kind of rise and fell in the time I didn't really even care to try it...

For Thaumcraft, is there anything particularly cool I should gun for in the new one that jibes with tech mods? I really took advantage of the infernal furnace and metal alchemy in Blightfall, but I am not sure if the metal alchemy was done with modified rules. I also wonder what the cool kids are doing for essentia management now since it doesn't look like Thaumic Energistics is in there; I don't even know if it's updated. As a side note, being able to scan the contents of a chest in one hit is very much a nice thing, but it's still frustrating to have to scan individual crafting ingredients as they are made. Actually, is there any real tangible use for that?

Actually, another Thaumcraft thing: has anybody figured out how to consistently scan the moon? I have the most luck when it's nearly overhead. At other times, I seem to get eastern/western quadrant more often than not. However, I challenged the notion one more time last night and got the drat moon within 30 degrees of the horizon.

Is there anything equivalent to lunchboxes in that mod pack? I think one of the old hunger mods had that, but I figured it was a novel enough thing that something else would have picked up on it by now.

How glitchy is Cooking for Blockheads right now? It's really fond of showing me stuff I can't actually make with what I have on hand, and I'm suspecting it's omitting stuff that I can definitely make. For the latter, it might be poor integration with Natura.

Finally, how well do the weapons in Tinker's Construct work with the new rules for shields and cooldowns? It takes over right-click for me and has kind of devolved combat to running backwards and taking paced swings.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Sometimes I wonder if I'm going insane. I've spent the past few days working my way up the tech tree in Per Fabrica Ad Astra, a TerraFirmaCraft based modpack in which you progress from stone age stuff to immersive engineering and IC2 machines and then rocketry and other planets.

I was a few hours into a long trek looking for a Gabbro rock area to look for Garnierite (nickel for black steel) and kimberlite and native gold/silver, when I suddenly just became fed up with the grind, exited to main menu and deleted the save game and then exited out and deleted the backups as well, with my mind justifying it as 'saving me from a pointless grind for nothing'.

What even is wrong with me... I've been doing this a lot lately, deleting saves in different games that I've put dozens+ of hours into. I can't seem to leave any old saves lying around, either. Start a new game in something to try something new? Delete all the old stuff.

I think randomly detonating that nuke last year in JAdair's Age of Engineering server was the start of the slope into madness. These days, I'm a gibbering wreck searching for anything to keep my mind off this pointless existence.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody contrast Engimatica 2's changes to EnderIO to how it is used normally? I found it quite stark to have to light up some bedrock to even get started with the mod. Previously, it really just took getting to some redstone and a ton of iron. Will the wired charger also be something I can use to charge up all those wands that are in the loot? I was gunning for that last night and I wonder if I'm about to waste my time.

The ender io startup method isn't changed for enigmatica; that's just how it works in 1.12. You can automate it with a vanilla dispenser, a vanilla observer (business end facing the block that sets on fire,) and a ranged pickup method of your choosing. Run a redstone lead out the back of the observer into the dispenser, and put a bunch of flints and steels into the dispenser. It'll collect grains of infinity until the flints and steel run out of durability.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ambaire posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm going insane. I've spent the past few days working my way up the tech tree in Per Fabrica Ad Astra, a TerraFirmaCraft based modpack in which you progress from stone age stuff to immersive engineering and IC2 machines and then rocketry and other planets.

I was a few hours into a long trek looking for a Gabbro rock area to look for Garnierite (nickel for black steel) and kimberlite and native gold/silver, when I suddenly just became fed up with the grind, exited to main menu and deleted the save game and then exited out and deleted the backups as well, with my mind justifying it as 'saving me from a pointless grind for nothing'.

What even is wrong with me... I've been doing this a lot lately, deleting saves in different games that I've put dozens+ of hours into. I can't seem to leave any old saves lying around, either. Start a new game in something to try something new? Delete all the old stuff.

I think randomly detonating that nuke last year in JAdair's Age of Engineering server was the start of the slope into madness. These days, I'm a gibbering wreck searching for anything to keep my mind off this pointless existence.

I don't know about the misanthropy but that sounds like burnout. I don't know how much a person can play "generic progression pack that has Immersive Engineering as a stepping stone to IC2" before they get fed up and want to destroy reality.

Something that particularly frustrates me about a lot of TFC packs is you could go hundreds and miles without finding the resource you need. In base TFC, that is less of an issue because some of those trace minerals don't matter too much, and you can poo poo out bronze in a variety of ways to do most basic quality-of-life stuff.

Heck, in this bit of Enigmatic 2 I'm trying, I ended up having to rely on the /bop tpbiome command to try to find a biome that had a jungle sapling. I had only found oases up to that point, and the trace amounts of jungle leaves weren't giving me saplings. So I tried that command against every jungle/tropical/whatever biome I could find and it found... nothing. I had to then go in 20,000 block spurts--since the command searches within 10,000 blocks--until I found one at something like 30,000, -30,000. I was starting to think the command was bad and had it take me to a prairie... which it did.

So it took programmatically searching a 30,000*30,000=900,000,000 square of blocks=900 square kilometer area to find a biome with some jungle saplings, and that biome ended up being a small tropical island.

For comparison, according to this site, here are some countries that are smaller than that:
Bahrain
Singapore
Malta (three times smaller!)
Barbados

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 17, 2018

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So it took programmatically searching a 30,000*30,000=900,000,000 square of blocks=900 square kilometer area to find a biome with some jungle saplings, and that biome ended up being a small tropical island.

Pretty sure the next thread title is in here somewhere.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fayk posted:

Pretty sure the next thread title is in here somewhere.
I am sorry to report that going from left-to-right on the quote, I cannot spell "gregtech."

The way some people grind mining ore in Minecraft makes me think I could make some money writing a cell phone game that displays a 3x3 grid of "ores" that you can press to reveal a new "ore" while making a bunch of ASMR noises or something. It would have no point but people would buy it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How glitchy is Cooking for Blockheads right now? It's really fond of showing me stuff I can't actually make with what I have on hand, and I'm suspecting it's omitting stuff that I can definitely make. For the latter, it might be poor integration with Natura.

It's great on 1.12. Last I tried it had problems on 1.10, but that was a while ago so things could have changed.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

this is why i enable cheats

you have to know when enough is enough

though i suppose when something becomes extremely bad it becomes a thrill to see how far down the hole is going to go

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think what alot of those grindy 'realistic' map gen modpacks need is someway to (expensively) explore or acquire the rarer resources you need. Build an 'expedition post', tie a horse to it, and fill it with supplies / equipment. Then it runs passively in the background, generating chunks in a spiral pattern around the post and dumping samples of any ores, saplings, crops, etc. it finds inside an output chest along with a log of what was found where. Once it runs out of food or equipment it stops. Fill it up again and click on a found resource in the log and it slowly mines it for you until it runs out of food/picks.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

Mr.Boofu posted:

Any interest in an Enigmatica 2 Expert server?

We'll be up sometime tomorrow.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Haven't gotten there yet, not sure.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a better alternative I should be looking for starting up power generation? Intro power seems to really shift every few months. To think that canola kind of rise and fell in the time I didn't really even care to try it...

If you're not on Expert, Mekanism is probably your first major aim - Wind Generators are crazy good and not particularly expensive, they're just loud as poo poo. If you are on expert, I started with Immersive Engineering windmills and went to Mek Wind Generators from there. I suspect that Biofuel is pretty good and easy to farm as a later game option before nuclear power.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

For Thaumcraft, is there anything particularly cool I should gun for in the new one that jibes with tech mods? I really took advantage of the infernal furnace and metal alchemy in Blightfall, but I am not sure if the metal alchemy was done with modified rules. I also wonder what the cool kids are doing for essentia management now since it doesn't look like Thaumic Energistics is in there; I don't even know if it's updated. As a side note, being able to scan the contents of a chest in one hit is very much a nice thing, but it's still frustrating to have to scan individual crafting ingredients as they are made. Actually, is there any real tangible use for that?

I honestly haven't really used it that much because the flux stuff scares me a bit, but essentia management is a bit easier now from what I saw; there's an auto sorter you can unlock, for example, that will auto deposit essentia 'wirelessly'. Scanning is required to complete certain researches, but I don't know if it's required to unlock anything.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Actually, another Thaumcraft thing: has anybody figured out how to consistently scan the moon? I have the most luck when it's nearly overhead. At other times, I seem to get eastern/western quadrant more often than not. However, I challenged the notion one more time last night and got the drat moon within 30 degrees of the horizon.

Man this part has NEVER worked for me. I haven't really tried it that much but it's never ever worked.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there anything equivalent to lunchboxes in that mod pack? I think one of the old hunger mods had that, but I figured it was a novel enough thing that something else would have picked up on it by now.

Haven't found anything.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Honestly I found it to work pretty well as a full kitchen setup, but I've gotten so many big meals from the loot chests I haven't had to bother with cooking all that much.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally, how well do the weapons in Tinker's Construct work with the new rules for shields and cooldowns? It takes over right-click for me and has kind of devolved combat to running backwards and taking paced swings.

As far as I can tell they work with it, some things overrule it a bit (rapiers seem to be spammable), and I don't know if the takeover of rightclick is overriden by shields. I've honestly just run around with an ExtraTIC laser gun I made in my offhand and just mainhanded my pickaxe or whatever.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I could play non-skyblock Enigmatica now.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I will say cooking for blockheads mostly seems to work fine, but I can confirm I see it ALWAYS show like 6 or so recipes I don't meet the requirements for on Disasterpiece.

That said, I like it pretty well, except man, what I REALLY want it to do is show me (with clickable items?) what pre-reqs I am missing when I type in a recipe, rather than YOU CAN'T.

Also why can't ovens be dyed?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

I'm not sure I could play non-skyblock Enigmatica now.

I honestly almost switched to skyblock but I kind of am enjoying non-skyblock mode as well.

Like, having Recurrent Complex or whatever mod is adding the ruined buildings is great for me - I want minecraft to have a ton more of that to be honest. I built my base in a tower that I found and then restored an old ruined church and built my thaumcraft area there (so flux wouldn't ruin my main base or anything).

Frankly Skyblocks are way funner when you have like the Skylands setting or something where you aren't having to do the worst part of skyblocks : building infinite big boring platforms. I get that Minecraft is all about building and stuff, but honestly a mod that gave me some options for prebuilt buildings ( and I installed one on my last skyblock ) would go a long way for me personally.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the Mining World is amazing. flat, sunny, pools. cuts out so much bullshit

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the Mining World is amazing. flat, sunny, pools. cuts out so much bullshit

is it the same one as age of engineering? if so then be careful if you build there for your main base, if it is thunderstorming in the overworld it'll be dark enough to spawn mobs in the mining world for some reason

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Stoneblock looks interesting, does anyone have experience with it (and can offer pointers) before I dig in?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

I get that Minecraft is all about building and stuff, but honestly a mod that gave me some options for prebuilt buildings (and I installed one on my last skyblock) would go a long way for me personally.

The Prefab mod does a decent job for that. It tends to focus on vanilla with some of its structures, but you can use one of those houses to cut out some of the basic crap. If I ever made another BFSR release, I was going to use that. The houses can create a solid mining shaft with ladder all the way down to a chest that contains anything interesting it had to displace along the way.

I would prefer if I could create my own prefab buildings, but I also wouldn't really have the time to define some and publish a pack using them anyways.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The Prefab mod does a decent job for that. It tends to focus on vanilla with some of its structures, but you can use one of those houses to cut out some of the basic crap. If I ever made another BFSR release, I was going to use that. The houses can create a solid mining shaft with ladder all the way down to a chest that contains anything interesting it had to displace along the way.

I would prefer if I could create my own prefab buildings, but I also wouldn't really have the time to define some and publish a pack using them anyways.

Yep, that's the mod I was using - I just didn't find the buildings very interesting.

Again, unless there's a super compelling reason why dirt needs to be rare (and even if it does, just make your skylands out of silt or something useless instead), Skylands is 100% better than normal SkyBlock.

If folks don't remember that, SkyLands was a generation option in some older skyblock packs that just made huge floating landmasses of dirt and nothing else.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

is it the same one as age of engineering? if so then be careful if you build there for your main base, if it is thunderstorming in the overworld it'll be dark enough to spawn mobs in the mining world for some reason

true but i can live with that, it's not every five minutes

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

true but i can live with that, it's not every five minutes

plus you can build a hobo hut around the portal in the overworld with a bed to instantly cancel the thunderstorm

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
Only time I'll post here. Enigmatica 2 expert server.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869173&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The real skyblock

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorus posted:

Stoneblock looks interesting, does anyone have experience with it (and can offer pointers) before I dig in?

Direwolf just started a series on it, and so far it looks like it's designed to make the early stages much less grindy. Plus the loot chests for finishing quests actually give useful stuff; in his first episode Direwolf got a diamond furnace and four 64k RS discs, and he's only like half an hour in.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Good server. Beware, though, the Cyclic Player Launcher is .. broken. It gives a 'Bouncy' buff that logarithmically accelerates the player once they make contact with a solid surface. I've been using it quite a bit, and it will happily bounce you sideways 800 blocks in a single second, or cross a 1500 block ocean in even less than that. If multiple people are using it, prepare for Happy Fun Lag Times.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Evil Mastermind posted:

Direwolf just started a series on it, and so far it looks like it's designed to make the early stages much less grindy. Plus the loot chests for finishing quests actually give useful stuff; in his first episode Direwolf got a diamond furnace and four 64k RS discs, and he's only like half an hour in.

Ha! OK I'll watch what he has up and then just dive in.

I don't normally do progression packs and such, but I'm looking to burn time but not do it aimlessly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

I get that Minecraft is all about building and stuff, but honestly a mod that gave me some options for prebuilt buildings ( and I installed one on my last skyblock ) would go a long way for me personally.

Buildcraft Builder can do this. It is a pretty common mod in most packs. Just save the kind of buildings you want as a blueprint file, there are even some online to download:

https://github.com/HoussenMoshine/builder-blueprint-buildcraft/tree/master/blueprints

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Good server. Beware, though, the Cyclic Player Launcher is .. broken. It gives a 'Bouncy' buff that logarithmically accelerates the player once they make contact with a solid surface. I've been using it quite a bit, and it will happily bounce you sideways 800 blocks in a single second, or cross a 1500 block ocean in even less than that. If multiple people are using it, prepare for Happy Fun Lag Times.

pfft 1500 blocks, I used the Player Launcher + a jetpack + slime boots and launched myself over 20000 blocks. I was honestly surprised the game didn't crash, even though it did lock up for a bit. From that point I decided I couldn't trust myself to not launch myself way too far, so I stopped using it. Not that there is really much reason to travel around.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
enigmatica 2 expert question: are there any early-to-midgame solutions for liquid crafting other than the giant immersive engineering doohickey? i'm just looking for something i can use to craft treated wood more easily than bucketing creosote over to a crafting table over and over

my gates page has IC2, IE, forestry, mekanism, industrial foregoing, actually additions, and mekanism unlocked if it helps

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

enigmatica 2 expert question: are there any early-to-midgame solutions for liquid crafting other than the giant immersive engineering doohickey? i'm just looking for something i can use to craft treated wood more easily than bucketing creosote over to a crafting table over and over

my gates page has IC2, IE, forestry, mekanism, industrial foregoing, actually additions, and mekanism unlocked if it helps

Can you make a thermal expansion portable tank? It works as a bucket in a crafting table and will consume multiple buckets of liquid inside in a single crafting shift-click.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Can you make a thermal expansion portable tank? It works as a bucket in a crafting table and will consume multiple buckets of liquid inside in a single crafting shift-click.

oh poo poo i had no idea and i have several

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Woaahhh I had no idea they could be used that way. Speaking of TE is there a fast way to get the servos off the various TE pipes that does not involve breaking and replacing them? Kind of annoying when I’m upgrading that crap