Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dangle a fourth, Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diqnol posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Bill is willing to throw you away if you don't fit his mould hence all of the talent that has come to his door over the years that ended up going nowhere. If anything, I see this as a kiss of death for Gordon and that he won't be in the league next year which is a drat shame.

I'd like to see him go to a team with a need for him, a scheme that can utilize his talents well, and a coach/GM/owner who is willing to work with him. Unfortunately the Cowboys have excellent experience with Dez so I don't see why he wouldn't go there.
Its not his choice.

Randaconda posted:

Dangle a fourth, Tom.
Please god, anything to keep him off of the Patriots.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know enough about Gordon as a receiver. Is he a technically good route runner or does he freelance a little to get open a bunch?

The Pats seem to need really technical guys with their system. Which you'd expect them not to go after Gordon if he wouldn't fit, but then again Belichick's receiver scouting has been...suspect, let's say, for a while.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its not his choice.

Do you believe that Gordon doesn't get a say if there were reports they were about to release him?

Who am I kidding, of course he doesn't. gently caress.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know enough about Gordon as a receiver. Is he a technically good route runner or does he freelance a little to get open a bunch?

The Pats seem to need really technical guys with their system. Which you'd expect them not to go after Gordon if he wouldn't fit, but then again Belichick's receiver scouting has been...suspect, let's say, for a while.

He's 6'3 built like a loving Adonis and fast dude literally just needs to keep sober. There's a reason people drool all over him even after years of not playing him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's 6'3 built like a loving Adonis and fast dude literally just needs to keep sober. There's a reason people drool all over him even after years of not playing him.

No I mean I know he's really good in general if his head is right. Just that really good guys can be better or worse fits for certain teams, and the Pats seem to have a more particular type of receiver that they want than other teams.

e: after actually thinking about it for a second I could be buying into a bunch of bullshit reporters have been fed by the Pats as an explanation for why their genius front office has whiffed on about everyone since Amendola. That's probably the best explanation.

I'm sure if Petey were around he'd link me a long article written by one of those reporters explaining everything.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 17, 2018

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Amy Pole Her posted:

What highlight package shows enough film to determine routes?

idk what the route was supposed to be, I just saw a bunch of guys slowing down and the ball being delivered to where they would be if they kept going. looked like lazy receivers

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diqnol posted:

Do you believe that Gordon doesn't get a say if there were reports they were about to release him?

Who am I kidding, of course he doesn't. gently caress.
I mean if he says "I wont play for them and you wont get your draft pick compensation for trading me if you trade me there" then maybe, but its the Browns.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

indigi posted:

idk what the route was supposed to be, I just saw a bunch of guys slowing down and the ball being delivered to where they would be if they kept going. looked like lazy receivers

Oh ok ok i was thinking holy poo poo are there ALL 22 highlight packages? I’d buy that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh ok ok i was thinking holy poo poo are there ALL 22 highlight packages? I’d buy that

I'd love an All 22 version of GamePass games

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

No I mean I know he's really good in general if his head is right. Just that really good guys can be better or worse fits for certain teams, and the Pats seem to have a more particular type of receiver that they want than other teams.

How can one really know? From what you see on Hard Knocks and what you hear about him, he has no problem understanding the playbook. Here's a source: https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Cris-Carter-believes-Josh-Gordon-top-ten-wide-receiver-120920366/

Patriots made the offense work with Moss because Bill is a smart dude and Tom can make the throws so it's not that they CAN'T use him. I believe that the biggest problem with signing with the Patriots is if you do not adhere to The Patriot Way, you might as well not come at all. Will Gordon do that? That's the question and from the surface the answer is yes but Bill has thrown away a lot of good guys over the years and I wonder if the league is asking the Pats to pick him up to get rid of him like they did Tebow and others before him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grittybeard posted:

e: after actually thinking about it for a second I could be buying into a bunch of bullshit reporters have been fed by the Pats as an explanation for why their genius front office has whiffed on about everyone since Amendola. That's probably the best explanation.

I'm sure if Petey were around he'd link me a long article written by one of those reporters explaining everything.

I may be reading the Pats completely wrong but they appear to lack a deep threat and that's Josh's specialty. Hell play him across the middle and let him go full Gronk on some DB.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

I'd love an All 22 version of GamePass games

They do have all 22 but it doesn't have announcing and is separated by play. Occasionally I'll notice a play that I want to see that way but usually it's not worth the effort.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I may be reading the Pats completely wrong but they appear to lack a deep threat and that's Josh's specialty. Hell play him across the middle and let him go full Gronk on some DB.

No, you're basically right. Cooks was their deep threat last year and they punted him immediately for... reasons? They've seen flashes from Philip Dorsett, but even Aaron friggin' Dobson had a random good game with Brady throwing to him so nobody can take that too seriously.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

What if beer is what makes him so fast

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

sean10mm posted:

No, you're basically right. Cooks was their deep threat last year and they punted him immediately for... reasons? They've seen flashes from Philip Dorsett, but even Aaron friggin' Dobson had a random good game with Brady throwing to him so nobody can take that too seriously.

Speculating: assessed they didn't need him with Gronk and Edelman. Teams know the Patriots dink and dunk.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I also would like to posit that Bill O'Brien is the worst coach in the NFL

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Intruder posted:

I also would like to posit that Bill O'Brien is the worst coach in the NFL

1-32-1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Would take Hue 10/10 times over Bill "That's not my job" O'Brien at this point

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sean McDermott on starting Peterman posted:

I thought that was the right move and I'll take that to my grave.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Intruder posted:

Would take Hue 10/10 times over Bill "That's not my job" O'Brien at this point

bob might be the most loathsome coach in the NFL but objectively not the worst.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Speculating: assessed they didn't need him with Gronk and Edelman. Teams know the Patriots dink and dunk.

Cooks actually did a really good job making big plays for them, at least until he spazzed out in the Super Bowl and got himself blasted into next year. :iiam:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
BoB has had like exponentially more talent to win with than what the Browns have shoved out there the past few years

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

sean10mm posted:

They couldn't pay him the extension this year and got their first round pick back from the Rams.

Also here is a little more insight into why WR's have trouble in NE:

https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2014/09/02/what_makes_the_patriots_offense_so_difficult

Apparently there are several routes built into each play call per receiver that change based not on the call itself, but the alignment of the defense.

They use Erhart Perkins so they don't have long strings of calls, all that information is supposed to be internalized by the players who apparently line up in multiple positions.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 17, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hue has no expectations

BOB's had more chances and more talent

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They couldn't pay him the extension this year and got their first round pick back from the Rams.

For some reason I thought they had another season of Cooks under his existing contract in 2018 before they'd have to come up with :signings: in 2019 or let him go for nothing. But I might have just imagined that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sean10mm posted:

For some reason I thought they had another season of Cooks under his existing contract in 2018 before they'd have to come up with :signings: in 2019 or let him go for nothing. But I might have just imagined that.

No you're right, he was traded for a draft pick and then the rams went ahead and gave him a new contract even though they didn't have to

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fitzpatrick is just channeling his inner Billy Volek.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I mean if you're just taking short term gambles based on Brady being 100 years old, you keep Cooks in 2018 and don't worry about 2019.

But then if you're doing a conservative long-term roster management thing, you let Cooks go... but you also probably don't even look at Gordon. Unless the Browns are letting him go super turbo cheap, at which point :laffo:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Yes. Yes. Yes.

The World is Fitz's.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gordon to the Pats for a CONDITIONAL 5TH LOL

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1041783141822877697

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol they're playing the Steelers so even if he throws a couple picks he'll still have like 8 TDs and 500 yards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
josh gordon is no longer cool

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Saw this on twitter earlier today and it's just perfect.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuck

calm down

Virgin Tom = old and busted

Chad Bort = new hotness

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

corn on the cop posted:

josh gordon is no longer cool

I mean he didn't have a say in the matter. Blame the rest of the 30 moron GMs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I know the high has to end at some point.

But god drat am I loving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Didn't someone say they'll drink bleach if Gordon goes to the Pats

• Locked thread