Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've regularly whacked my head on cable trays and the supports for them in my few months here. It'd be very easy to do it while up a ladder and end up taking a dive into a rack in this place. Nobody would even notice until the customers start reporting that their poo poo's gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I worked briefly for a large multinational and they were very hot on people carrying lone worker alarms if they ever had to be in an area by themselves.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

Why the hell is someone getting fired over a work injury in a company with obviously lacking worker safety regs?
The dude shouldn't be doing any manual labor in a security room without a buddy, and it sounds like that is a orga fault.

Yes. Companies, pay your loving workmans comp claims and shut the gently caress up.

Was it reasonable to assume the company expects people to be working in a server room by themselves? Yes and that assumption is probably true for the majority for companies out there. Do you have rigorous safety training and policies against stools for server rooms? Probably not.

People get hurt in what looks like stupid ways all the time. It was done on company time doing company work. Accidents are going to happen.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 17, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
And to expand upon that...

We have a receptionist that hurt herself really badly while decorating a Christmas tree in the lobby. She tripped over a gift, fell into the tree, and her legs were left kicking in the air as she tried to right herself. We caught the entire thing on camera and I personally exported the video so we could show her because it was hilarious. She however tore her ACL while doing it.

I remember talking to her about the video when she came back to the office and then her telling me how it was going to be super expensive for her to afford the surgery. I can't believe I had to tell her that no, she didn't have to pay for poo poo because it was her job to decorate. Nobody approached her to tell her this despite HR, Facilities, and executive management being involved. loving slimy poo poo. She inquired with HR and the comp claim was submitted and approved all hush, hush like. I am sure somewhere the company was required to do their part right away and report the injury to their insurance but failed to do so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had a lady fall down the steps. Pencil was on the step, she stepped on it, it rolled, down she went.

They covered it up big time. Settled with her privately. Small amount of cash and paid for physical therapy. Made sure she wouldn't claim it on health insurance or OSHA.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

A ticket came in today for the network going down. Might be a few days until it's restored I suppose.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

America really does suck when you get hurt or ill.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Steakandchips posted:

Nah dude I love having the freedom to pay a $70 co-pay for urgent care because my insurance company wants to incentivize me to see my primary care doc even though his next availability is over a month away and my back spasm doesn't really want to wait that long.

:911:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I moved to the UK for work close to a year ago, and had to go to the ER a while back. It still astounds me that I paid absolutely nothing for the experience.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm having back surgery on Wednesday and I can't wait for the surprise bill in the mail in a few weeks :911:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kaethela posted:

I moved to the UK for work close to a year ago, and had to go to the ER a while back. It still astounds me that I paid absolutely nothing for the experience.

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kaethela posted:

This is it.

Sometimes I need to wait a while to get a follow up appointment, and that's a pain, but I know it's because someone else is in far more need.

We need more money in the system, to get Cancer waiting times and others back down, but overall it's an excellent service.

You guys in the states pay way over what I do, and mine comes out as tax, which means it comes out my gross income, not my net.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The confusing part for non-:911: people is that effectively it’s partially pre-tax, partially post-tax. The premiums (you guys have premiums for car and life insurance at least, right?) are pre-tax, but any additional costs are post-tax. Unless you have an FSA, which takes money out of each paycheck pre-tax that can be used just on medical expenses. Or a HSA, which is the same thing but requires you to have a specific kind of plan which generally means lower premiums but higher amounts before the insurance covers anything. You can put more into the HSA and sometimes companies match the funds to some extent. You can roll over a HSA between years, but you can’t roll over the FSA. You can use the HSA for anything, but have to pay the taxes afterward if it’s not on approved expenses. The HSA is filled paycheck by paycheck, but the FSA is filled at the beginning of the year. You can put HSA money into investments if you aren’t planning on spending it any time soon, but you have to pay taxes on the money you make from that.

Make sense?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Weedle posted:

One of our B&G guys almost bled to death on the roof a few years ago. Sliced his arm on some protruding metal edge somewhere. His boss found him unconscious up there after thinking “you know, it’s been a while since I heard from Preston” and deciding to check up on him. They always work in pairs now.
Should have been pretty easy to find the protruding metal edge from the blood trail.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Aren't all hsa withdrawals including from gains tax-free as long as they're for qualifying medical purposes?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The confusing part for non-:911: people is that effectively it’s partially pre-tax, partially post-tax. The premiums (you guys have premiums for car and life insurance at least, right?) are pre-tax, but any additional costs are post-tax. Unless you have an FSA, which takes money out of each paycheck pre-tax that can be used just on medical expenses. Or a HSA, which is the same thing but requires you to have a specific kind of plan which generally means lower premiums but higher amounts before the insurance covers anything. You can put more into the HSA and sometimes companies match the funds to some extent. You can roll over a HSA between years, but you can’t roll over the FSA. You can use the HSA for anything, but have to pay the taxes afterward if it’s not on approved expenses. The HSA is filled paycheck by paycheck, but the FSA is filled at the beginning of the year. You can put HSA money into investments if you aren’t planning on spending it any time soon, but you have to pay taxes on the money you make from that.

Make sense?
Don't forget that the costs are determined through backroom deals between hospital networks and insurance companies, and that if you want to know how much something costs they won't tell you because it's literally a trade secret.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanatosian posted:

Don't forget that the costs are determined through backroom deals between hospital networks and insurance companies, and that if you want to know how much something costs they won't tell you because it's literally a trade secret.

But yet it's your fault for not shopping around as you're laying there with an arm falling off.

e: my mom once got a $12,000 emergency room bill because the doctor who saw her wasn't covered other insurance. Other doctors at that hospital were covered, just not that specific one. They told her it was her fault because she didn't ask.

I helped her write a nice letter telling the insurance company to go gently caress themselves and they thankfully dropped it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 17, 2018

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

#Ignite2018 meet up, anyone?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

#Ignite2018 meet up, anyone?

Are you making a thread or should we just rely on the Slack room to coordinate?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sirotan posted:

Are you making a thread or should we just rely on the Slack room to coordinate?

I can make a thread but think it might get buried. Let's use the channel on Slack.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

But yet it's your fault for not shopping around as you're laying there with an arm falling off.

e: my mom once got a $12,000 emergency room bill because the doctor who saw her wasn't covered other insurance. Other doctors at that hospital were covered, just not that specific one. They told her it was her fault because she didn't ask.

I helped her write a nice letter telling the insurance company to go gently caress themselves and they thankfully dropped it.

At the local hospitals here the anesthesiologists are all out of network for every insurance provider. Which means even if everything else is 100% covered, you're still getting a bill for $3-5k.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Make sense?

No, I'm sorry, HSAs and FSAs are bullshit. I shouldn't have to pre-allocate money for medical expenses that might not happen. The insurance system is not great and I would much rather have single-payer healthcare but I am glad I at least pay my premiums and know where I stand.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

guppy posted:

No, I'm sorry, HSAs and FSAs are bullshit. I shouldn't have to pre-allocate money for medical expenses that might not happen. The insurance system is not great and I would much rather have single-payer healthcare but I am glad I at least pay my premiums and know where I stand.

Yeah, it's insane that I should be expected to budget for medical care that is by definition entirely unpredictable (and as somebody pointed out, I literally cannot price it in advance even if it was.) HSA/FSAs are just yet another tax shelter for rich people.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Yes. Companies, pay your loving workmans comp claims and shut the gently caress up.

Was it reasonable to assume the company expects people to be working in a server room by themselves? Yes and that assumption is probably true for the majority for companies out there. Do you have rigorous safety training and policies against stools for server rooms? Probably not.

People get hurt in what looks like stupid ways all the time. It was done on company time doing company work. Accidents are going to happen.

He is absolutely going to get covered for it, but at the same time there were several dumb things that were done here. Mind you, we can't quite point to the employee handbook and say "You failed to follow this line." (although we are looking over the OSHA rules on confined-space work (which I don't think apply, but IANAL)), partially because we don't have much of a handbook; but at the same time, he should have propped the door, he should have let me or someone here know where he was going, he's a pretty big dude and that stepstool may only have been rated for 200 lbs... there was not a lot of good judgment or foresight demonstrated here.

I think every org needs to go through something like this to see changes made; they are hiring someone to rewrite the (or, more likely, provide us with a framework for a whole new) employee handbook, cameras are going in, official stools are being ordered, and of course after this, orientation will be more in-depth.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sfwarlock posted:

He is absolutely going to get covered for it, but at the same time there were several dumb things that were done here. Mind you, we can't quite point to the employee handbook and say "You failed to follow this line." (although we are looking over the OSHA rules on confined-space work (which I don't think apply, but IANAL)), partially because we don't have much of a handbook; but at the same time, he should have propped the door, he should have let me or someone here know where he was going, he's a pretty big dude and that stepstool may only have been rated for 200 lbs... there was not a lot of good judgment or foresight demonstrated here.

I think every org needs to go through something like this to see changes made; they are hiring someone to rewrite the (or, more likely, provide us with a framework for a whole new) employee handbook, cameras are going in, official stools are being ordered, and of course after this, orientation will be more in-depth.

If I went into the server room here and severely injured myself, only to have my boss cite the OSHA rules on confined-space work to fire me for said injury I would have to be physically restrained.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

HSAs/FSAs are just the insurance companies hoping you’ll give them even more free money

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
HSAs are fine because the money follows you forever and you can't lose it.

FSAs are bullshit because it's use it or lose it. Still works out if you know you're going to have huge guaranteed medical expenses though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

FSAs are bullshit because it's use it or lose it. Still works out if you know you're going to have huge guaranteed medical expenses though.

I'd still rather pay the loving insurance company to deal with this, especially because I'm expected to put more money than my monthly premiums are into those accounts.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Weedle posted:

HSAs/FSAs are just the insurance companies hoping you’ll give them even more free money

Money that goes into an HSA is yours, tax free, and does not escheat to the employer when you leave the job. Money left in an FSA is yours for any qualifying medical purposes for the entirety of the plan's run out (typically 1 year) even if you leave the job; any money still in the FSA after that run out period escheats to the employer, but can only be redistributed to other employees or put into a pool of money to offset healthcare costs.

Qualifications: 10+ years working for one of the largest healthcare companies in America. As me anything.

EDIT: Stingy employers can elect for no year-to-year rollover in your FSA, yes, but the money is still yours to use for the run out period. Don't over contribute to an FSA.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

That's not quite true - you'd have paid an entire £8.80 for any prescription meds you needed after the treatment.

Thankfully it wasn't serious enough to need treatment/prescriptions, so it was actually entirely free. In the US it'd probably have been several hundred thousand for what amounted to them running various tests and then sending me home.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaethela posted:

Thankfully it wasn't serious enough to need treatment/prescriptions, so it was actually entirely free. In the US it'd probably have been several hundred for what amounted to them running various tests and then sending me home.

It cost me over $300 to get a diagnosis that ended with a $3 antibiotic prescription this month thanks to the aforementioned urgent care co-pays and the fee for an ultrasound. I feel incredibly free.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I once had our HR person say that it's our fault that we don't go to walk-in clinics or urgent care when we have a single clinic in town, it's not walk-in, and if something happens on the weekend congratulations you get to go to the ER or drive an hour in either direction.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

If I went into the server room here and severely injured myself, only to have my boss cite the OSHA rules on confined-space work to fire me for said injury I would have to be physically restrained.

I phrased that a little weirdly. We are looking into whether it counts as a confined space for purposes of determining whether we should have provided training on working inside of it. We , they, whatever, collective pronouns are weird.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Make sense?
As a non-American I can only parse this as the final text on a galaxy brain meme about medical costs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The amount of mental gymnastics involved in the barefaced robbery of Joe Q. Public that is the american healthcare system is mindboggling.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

As a non-American I can only parse this as the final text on a galaxy brain meme about medical costs.

I’m pretty sure that’s most Americans too.

I max out my FSA, but that’s because I spend it all in 4-6 months due to recurring expenses. HSAs would be way better except I can’t afford to spend thousands on prescriptions for the first few months until I hit the deductible on the plan that would let me get one. Because those plans usually cover nothing until you hit the deductible.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

An extra special bonus perk of this is what happens when you ask the "benefits coordinator" (person whose entire job it is to manage and explain this gordian knot of a system to sane peopleemployees) what happens to these accounts if you leave the company. At best, people fall all over themselves to comment about how you've just outed yourself as someone who's about to leave for a better job (as opposed to someone who's trying to inform themselves because apparently that's a character flaw here or something). At worst you get on some insecure manager's poo poo list.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s most Americans too.

I max out my FSA, but that’s because I spend it all in 4-6 months due to recurring expenses. HSAs would be way better except I can’t afford to spend thousands on prescriptions for the first few months until I hit the deductible on the plan that would let me get one. Because those plans usually cover nothing until you hit the deductible.

Isn't this what the out of pocket maximum on your insurance plan is for?

It seems like it might be in your best interests to get one with an extremely low OOPM, hit the 1500$ or whatever, and coast for the rest of year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sfwarlock posted:

I phrased that a little weirdly. We are looking into whether it counts as a confined space for purposes of determining whether we should have provided training on working inside of it. We , they, whatever, collective pronouns are weird.

Oh, that's more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Isn't this what the out of pocket maximum on your insurance plan is for?

It seems like it might be in your best interests to get one with an extremely low OOPM, hit the 1500$ or whatever, and coast for the rest of year.

The options are limited per company, so you have a limited selection. Mine is currently a $1500 OOPM per person, but HSAs require a plan with at least $3k or something per person, I don’t remember exactly. And it’s separate deductibles and OOPMs for in and out of network. My psychiatrist is out of network.

I’ve actually got fantastic insurance. Which is good, because goddamn I need it.