Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dragonstoned posted:

Presto Chango also has major balls for offering to slow down Brock fuckin Sampson.

I hope he survived, maybe they'll all team up again to get revenge on Copy Cat.

Little late for at least one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Milo and POTUS posted:

Little late for at least one of them

Ram Burgler will be given a robotic head and be just fine

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I ate a whole labrador retriever!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Presto Change-o bled light purple. That means he's either a victim of experimentation or an alien. It also stands to reason he can have vital organs anywhere. There's no question Samson *hurt* him, but it seems PC is used to ~wacky~ villainy, not being stabbed by Brock Samson.

Honestly, I wonder how it'd work if PC was something akin to a multidimensional being like Mr. Myxlpltk (I know I spelled that wrong), only he hasn't found a foil to pester incessantly...until *now*, maybe.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
The timing on the stair master joke felt slightly off to me. I think it would have been ten times funnier if Brock just instinctively brought the knife down as he ran up with the same pain reaction from Presto Chango.

Also, had Copy Cat had a moment where he isn't a colossal d-bag?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

Nope

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Presto Change-o bled light purple. That means he's either a victim of experimentation or an alien. It also stands to reason he can have vital organs anywhere. There's no question Samson *hurt* him, but it seems PC is used to ~wacky~ villainy, not being stabbed by Brock Samson.

Honestly, I wonder how it'd work if PC was something akin to a multidimensional being like Mr. Myxlpltk (I know I spelled that wrong), only he hasn't found a foil to pester incessantly...until *now*, maybe.
I believe he's based on The Impossible Man who's a child-like super-powerful alien shapeshifter. That's the kind who sticks around.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Slamhound posted:

I believe he's based on The Impossible Man who's a child-like super-powerful alien shapeshifter. That's the kind who sticks around.

The New Mutants special where he has a shapeshift-off against Warlock was one of my favorite comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure Driver X was a CopyCat Copy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think Presto Changeo was meant to be a totally broken superpowered character. Remember, superheroes on par with the Avengers at the very least exist in the Venture Bros world, Brock's in a relationship of some description with one, Captain Sunshine is head of a Justice League-like team, and Brown Widow is basically Spider-man, complete with being able to punch well above his apparent super-weight. And y'know, the Doom Factory. We just don't see that side of things too often because super-science is a different genre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

He was strongly implied to be, yeah. (also a reference to Racer X from Speed Racer)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Okay call me stupid but was the whole thing at the end just a virtual reality program of OSI?

The presence of Brisby made it seem like it was something real. Do the Illuminati exist or was that just all fake? It was all fake huh.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Its just tonally weird because Ramburglar got his head cut off a minute ago so he's definitely dead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerminalRaptor posted:

He's always been super evil as gently caress but nobody seems to have realized it, most people don't even know what his power is.

He's gonna end up being the guy who did movie night or some poo poo like that.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just tonally weird because Ramburglar got his head cut off a minute ago so he's definitely dead.

Venture-stein was dead, twice even

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay call me stupid but was the whole thing at the end just a virtual reality program of OSI?

The presence of Brisby made it seem like it was something real. Do the Illuminati exist or was that just all fake? It was all fake huh.

100% fake from the moment Rusty put a blindfold on.

The fun part is that the OSI's masters and the people who DO run the world certainly wouldn't deign to even be an organisation, the OSI reflexively defends the status quo no matter what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

I dont know what it is about Mark Hamill and evil clowns but the man has a gift

I love that they worked in the Nut Knocker

Ghost Leviathan posted:

100% fake from the moment Rusty put a blindfold on.

The fun part is that the OSI's masters and the people who DO run the world certainly wouldn't deign to even be an organisation, the OSI reflexively defends the status quo no matter what.

But the blindfold was after the first conversation with Brisby, right? That's what makes me think some of it was real.

Like the dummy corp was real, he doesn't put the blindfold on until after the first conference call.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

twistedmentat posted:

drat, I have to rewatch. I thought it was explicit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After the door closes, there's another noise that happens. I'm guessing that's the VR goggles being put on Rusty's head. Everything after that is in VR. I would think that there really could be an organization like that, but I think it's more likely that the machine and read Rusty's memories or something and it creates a simulation that makes sense to Rusty. People that seem important and powerful are running a secret group. The woman he's obsessed with just happens to be one of the women at the orgy. The food is some horrific poo poo only a secret cabal of powerful people could get away with. It's all really over the top, but it is something Rusty thinks is possible.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Slamhound posted:

Cool, I'm going to use this opportunity to let people know he has a wife and a kid named Adolf who is into anime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

They did call it "group therapy", so I could see it being a group simulation(Brisby for example I could see have ended up in there because of the stuff he was doing at Brisbyland, as well as his digging into cloning)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

could captain sunshine defeat presto change-o?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

not even goku can defeat presto chango

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Presto Chango seemed like a real low level villain who didn't realize how serious arching could be. He decided to slow Brock down by goofing off as a stairmaster. All of the things he did were goofy. Copy Cat picked him for his abilities, but clearly didn't tell him how dangerous Brock is. I guess he didn't really care, considering that team was supposed to be caught anyway.
Before that stunt at the end, Presto Change-O seemed very much aware of how dangerous Brock was, he was cowering before him when the Helper thing was discovered for example. Looking back, Copy Cat's real would have also failed because of Presto's quick thinking when the teleporters were taken away.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

If Copy Cat is alive, I imagine he might be in a little bit of hot water for crashing a helicopter into Tophet Tower. Seems like the sort of thing that would make Wide Wale angry.
I understand that the building doesn't belong to Wide Wale, he just rents a penthouse there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a little unclear on the Monarch's basement. In the Morphic Trilogy it gets turned into a regular basement, which is one reason why Dr. Mrs. doesn't believe Gary's story, but then in the next episode it is back to being the Morpho cave, and even if it had the car and suits taken, it still has a giant computer and presumably other Blue Morpho related paraphernalia, all of which both Sheila and Dr Z get to see. Wouldn't that raise a few questions?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think they figured out that the Blue Morpho exists and is the Monarch's dad and/or is also Vendata, the Monarch just got to pin all the deaths and mayhem on Vendata and probably figured out how to get back into the Morpho cave, possibly by trial and error.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the VR thing draws on the user's expectations and desires, hence Brisby being a member.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm a little unclear on the Monarch's basement. In the Morphic Trilogy it gets turned into a regular basement, which is one reason why Dr. Mrs. doesn't believe Gary's story, but then in the next episode it is back to being the Morpho cave, and even if it had the car and suits taken, it still has a giant computer and presumably other Blue Morpho related paraphernalia, all of which both Sheila and Dr Z get to see. Wouldn't that raise a few questions?

The tiny utility room with the hot water tank is a a ruse; the secret door can reveal either the tiny utility room or the stairs to the Morpho cave through clever engineering.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

First clue that it was fake was when the bartender gave him a Red Mocho Kooler without batting an eye.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I wanna say regarding Blue Morphos cave that it most likely has a mechanism on the switch which lets either it be the boiler room or the Morpho cave. And you know how this show runs on lucky timing. At first I thought Vendata was covering his tracks but considering he wasn’t completely aware who he was that’s out of the question. Regarding Presto I thought he was based off Plastic Man more than anything. I think he’s still probably alive. P sure a stab to the brain would be death and not just writhing in pain. I could see them bringing in Hamil again if needed. I also don’t think the meeting was real. Rusty definitely would have some grudges or to prove he was worthy. I mean Brisby did knock him down a peg when he pointed out that his funds were low and he knows he isn’t that great of a scientist. What better way to show he’s better than being part of the secret club next to the guy who pissed him off and yeah Rusty would be that petty.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 18, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Add me to the list of people who want more Presto, gotta be at least a few fun ways to work him into guild business somehow, it's worth paying out those Hamill bucks to have him.

Also Hamill remains the coolest to keep doing all sorts of voice acting gigs right in the middle of returning to the Skywalker role and being a major movie star, even if only in one or two movies. I feel like Michael B. Jordan is carrying on that Hamill legacy for a new generation and multiplying it by simultaneously being a super in-demand movie star (fresh off widespread acclaim for Black Panther) and doing a voice for a fighting robots cartoon.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

LeJackal posted:

The tiny utility room with the hot water tank is a a ruse; the secret door can reveal either the tiny utility room or the stairs to the Morpho cave through clever engineering.

What I want to know is why the writers chose to include that detail. It didn't matter at all during the Morpho trilogy, and it hasn't come up since. It feels like a superfluous detail left over from a rewrite or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah exactly. Why have that bit where Sheila finds the fake utility room, if she learns about the real hideout off-camera between episodes?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

It's there because it is important to have hot water.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah exactly. Why have that bit where Sheila finds the fake utility room, if she learns about the real hideout off-camera between episodes?

I think it's so she doesn't believe Gary, and thus make it easier for Monarch to pin most of his actions as Blue Morpho on Vendata

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was expecting the third Blue Morpho costume tube to be a female sidekick outfit for Dr Mrs The Monarch, but I gotta admit what they came up with was much funnier.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I think it's so she doesn't believe Gary, and thus make it easier for Monarch to pin most of his actions as Blue Morpho on Vendata

But she finds out the truth anyway shortly afterwards and is willing to lie for him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Re: presto chango discussion

It occurs to me that Monarch and Wide Whale not knowing that Dewgong was still alive kinda shows that even in-universe what is lethal and what isn't is.. not fully understood.

There's tons of super powerful super science around and sometimes people are fine and sometimes they get hurt and sometimes they die.

Venture bros kinda has its cake and eats it too with cartoon violence, although its pretty consistent at the same time.

Its just weird because you have these mortal battles over death rays, where henchmen get murdered by the dozens. But then also things like killing your arch's children is against the rules? And if they have a doctor's note you have to let them escape? Its "shadowboxing" , they don't really try to kill each other. But then, sometimes they do kill each other.

But then that juxtaposition is the core of what the venture bros is, like watchmen, both taking cartoon characters seriously and not and seeing the absurd implications.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

drrockso20 posted:

They did call it "group therapy", so I could see it being a group simulation(Brisby for example I could see have ended up in there because of the stuff he was doing at Brisbyland, as well as his digging into cloning)

That's what I thought, too. It's just a fake illuminati for rich and powerful ding dongs like Rusty.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nobody caring about henchman dying is pretty consistent, the guild is basically SAG (even a thrown away joke by dr z from the book) and they give basically no fucks if you’re an extra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hunter giving the rich and powerful a fake illuminati playset to keep them from doing horrible things would be a pretty good twist. A lot better than the implication of this last episode that Hunter and Brock are just carrying water for the people at the top of the status quo.