Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Bryan's reaction to Big Business doing a slingshot senton still gets me. Easily one of the best pieces of content they've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CascadeBeta posted:

Bryan's reaction to Big Business doing a slingshot senton still gets me. Easily one of the best pieces of content they've ever done.

Bryan mocking Vinnie for saying "Uncle Murder" gets me every time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
"Punk mother fucker, gently caress you!"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Christmas Justice is one of the best B&V songs ever

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coconono posted:

who the gently caress wants to talk about Ronda Rousey tho?

she's the biggest mainstream star in wwe, so people who don't watch wwe

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Malcolm Excellent posted:

"Punk mother fucker, gently caress you!"

Also their delight at Eddie Kingston yelling gently caress YOU AH poo poo after losing to Homicide.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Go RV! posted:

That's part of my point, though. I don't watch it. I've heard of it, I don't know much about it, I'd definitely consider it watching, but I haven't been pushed to make that leap yet.

If someone with a big platform would go out and say "hey, this show is really good and this promotion is really good, they've got a show on this date, and they've got a streaming service here, check it out everyone" then that could kickstart conversations about that promotion and give them some attention that indies need so loving much.

Instead I get to hear about the latest WWE death march twice. We've already got WON for that. Use the loose format show to try something new and fun and not just feed the cycle of bad wrestling despair

Lol can you seriously not make a decision to watch something on your own? You really need someone to dictate what you watch?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

Lol can you seriously not make a decision to watch something on your own? You really need someone to dictate what you watch?

I mean theoretically the idea behind reviewing things is to tell you if they are worth seeing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

I mean theoretically the idea behind reviewing things is to tell you if they are worth seeing.

I suppose but we live in an era now where you just have to press a couple buttons and to can watch something super easily. Not to mention these companies throw free matches up on on YouTube constantly and you can decide then and there if it's for you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The_Rob posted:

It's like a weird inverse of it only being okay to like an indie wrestler when he gets to NXT.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The_Rob posted:

That's what you get out of that post?

I'm talking about using a large platform to get more indies exposure. WWE has a monopoly on the business, and the Observer is just feeding into that more. Every WWE PPV gets two shows dedicated to it. There's a Raw, Smackdown and NXT review. NJPW gets a little conversation tacked onto the end unless there's a big show. PWG is local to Dave, so that gets talked about. That's pretty much it, unless someone asks Dave directly. There's so much wrestling out there, and 80% of the content on the radio shows is WWE or only available on the Network.

I used OTT as an example, because its true that I'm curious about it, but I haven't sought it out yet. It's not cause I am unable to make a decision, it's because I'm a fuckin' adult, man. I only have so many hours in the day. I already subscribe to two other services, I watch the CMLL Fridays when I can, have a full time job, and have other hobbies. I don't know if you've seen the wrestling fan age statistics recently, but I can pretty much guarantee I'm not the only person like that. So if someone with an amount of authority says "Hey, go seek this out specifically", then people like me are more likely to actively do that, which is more recognition for them, which turns into more money for them, which is healthier for the entire business.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's nothing wrong with wanting recommendations and it's definitely okay to expect the occasional one about something new to you from a podcast that's supposed to review/observe/discuss wrestling in general. It's not the WWE Observer, or F4SD (Figure Four SmackDown)

I get what you're saying completely, it's nice to have an easier way than just browsing numerous forums or google searches just to find a new promotion discussed that you've wanted to try out with some match recommendations or a show everyone seemed to like or find entertaining. At times I want that too but I browse here more than I listen to podcasts, so this is the easier method for me, but that's just for me

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Go RV! posted:

That's what you get out of that post?

I'm talking about using a large platform to get more indies exposure. WWE has a monopoly on the business, and the Observer is just feeding into that more. Every WWE PPV gets two shows dedicated to it. There's a Raw, Smackdown and NXT review. NJPW gets a little conversation tacked onto the end unless there's a big show. PWG is local to Dave, so that gets talked about. That's pretty much it, unless someone asks Dave directly. There's so much wrestling out there, and 80% of the content on the radio shows is WWE or only available on the Network.

I used OTT as an example, because its true that I'm curious about it, but I haven't sought it out yet. It's not cause I am unable to make a decision, it's because I'm a fuckin' adult, man. I only have so many hours in the day. I already subscribe to two other services, I watch the CMLL Fridays when I can, have a full time job, and have other hobbies. I don't know if you've seen the wrestling fan age statistics recently, but I can pretty much guarantee I'm not the only person like that. So if someone with an amount of authority says "Hey, go seek this out specifically", then people like me are more likely to actively do that, which is more recognition for them, which turns into more money for them, which is healthier for the entire business.

So is Alvarez saying that OTT is good gonna tack two more hours onto your day or something?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

discussing the wwe is a soul sickness and i wish better for my friend bryan

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean I guess I sorta get it, I wish they'd discuss NJPW more often, but an ongoing catalog of how loving dire WWE is creatively isn't useless either and Bryan and Vinny going off on how creatively dire it is is really entertaining.

Plus like you said, there's only so many hours in the day. There's not enough time for them to cover EEEEEEVERYTHING is evil out there and root out the specifics..

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bad stuff creates more content. There are only so many ways you can sit there and say "this njpw match was great because they're all great." and stay entertaining. It is far easier to tear apart all of the terrible decisions that wwe makes.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
if i could save time in a bottle
the first thing that i'd like to do
is to wait every day
til dave meltzer gives me the ok
to watch wrestling that's new

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

I mean I guess I sorta get it, I wish they'd discuss NJPW more often, but an ongoing catalog of how loving dire WWE is creatively isn't useless either and Bryan and Vinny going off on how creatively dire it is is really entertaining.

Plus like you said, there's only so many hours in the day. There's not enough time for them to cover EEEEEEVERYTHING is evil out there and root out the specifics..

the problem with discussing New Japan is you really can't do it regularly

if they're on a tour or running a tournament, its really easy to talk about New Japan because they're putting out content every day or every other day

when it comes time to when they're taking their 2 or 3 week periods off in between tours and tournaments, after a while you kind of run out of content

really that gets to the problem as a whole with WOR being a current events podcast, either you're looking at WWE or CMLL due to the breadth of content they put out weekly (even then, CMLL doesn't really do show to show or even week to week booking), because most promotions take frequent breaks and/or tape a bunch of TV that Dave can spoil

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Easy solution: When they're not on tour, just talk about how good Tanahashi is for a half hour.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Midcard Matinee the bad movie podcast about movies that feature wrestlers I host has a new episode!

We watched
Death from Above
https://youtu.be/FirzUp49wKY
Starring Kurt Angle, Sid, James Storm, Robert Z'dar and some other wrasslers

It's really bad movie. Tim Storm can't act, Kurt can't act, Sid is barely present. Also the band Anti-flag is there.

Midcard Matinee #6 Death From Above

I'm looking for a spooktacular "scary movie" for our October episode if you have any suggestions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Midcard Matinee the bad movie podcast about movies that feature wrestlers I host has a new episode!

We watched
Death from Above
https://youtu.be/FirzUp49wKY
Starring Kurt Angle, Sid, James Storm, Robert Z'dar and some other wrasslers

It's really bad movie. Tim Storm can't act, Kurt can't act, Sid is barely present. Also the band Anti-flag is there.

Midcard Matinee #6 Death From Above

I'm looking for a spooktacular "scary movie" for our October episode if you have any suggestions.

see no evil

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
also its not like WWE is the most easily accessible wrestling promotion for Americans or the most watched wrestling product in the world. i'm sure dave and bryan could just totally skip over it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

and if you're feeling real brave, See No Evil 2

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
People poo poo on Dave for a lot of dumb reasons but "this journalist isn't advertising marginal products properly" is, well, new.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Karmine posted:

People poo poo on Dave for a lot of dumb reasons but "this journalist isn't advertising marginal products properly" is, well, new.

Dave is actually always horribly biased for <whatever I don't like>.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Beer_Suitcase posted:

El Santo has fought numerous monsters over the years. Check those out.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mil mascaras vs the aztec mummy is good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The best luchador thing ever is The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karmine posted:

I'm making GBS threads on Bryan, to be clear :colbert:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Lid posted:

The best luchador thing ever is The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco.

True story I think of this every time I think of Los Villanos.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Gumball Gumption posted:

Bad stuff creates more content. There are only so many ways you can sit there and say "this njpw match was great because they're all great." and stay entertaining. It is far easier to tear apart all of the terrible decisions that wwe makes.

Imagine not understanding this.

Also, imagine not knowing how badly Bryan sucks at analysis when he isn’t ranting.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Karmine posted:

True story I think of this every time I think of Los Villanos.

El Diablo Robotico...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Imagine not understanding this.

Also, imagine not knowing how badly Bryan sucks at analysis when he isn’t ranting.

His analysis of wrestling matches is really good when he puts thought into it. He picks up on a lot of little details.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

generally enjoy him breaking down the specifics of why something worked or what theyre doing wrong in the ring when hes actually having fun doing either but he can get really stupid when talking storylines and angles. More "heres what they did" less "heres what they should have done"

bored/miserable podcasting can be fun in short bursts but if you arent having fun talking about why something sucked its tedious to listen to for long stretches, a negative review every week should still be fun to listen to. Just speaking generally here im no longer a subscriber idk how bryan sounds these days but even the worst poo poo during the attitude era wwf/nitro reviews was fun to listen to them talk about when i still was because it was clear they were looking forward to doing it

oatgan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 18, 2018

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Have Granny review DDT

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

NienNunb posted:

Have Granny review DDT

Holy smokes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Make B&V review hour long Chikara tag team gauntlets every week

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

GoutPatrol posted:

Make B&V review hour long Chikara tag team gauntlets every week

SEVENTEEN loving TEAMS

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oatgan posted:

generally enjoy him breaking down the specifics of why something worked or what theyre doing wrong in the ring when hes actually having fun doing either but he can get really stupid when talking storylines and angles. More "heres what they did" less "heres what they should have done"

bored/miserable podcasting can be fun in short bursts but if you arent having fun talking about why something sucked its tedious to listen to for long stretches, a negative review every week should still be fun to listen to. Just speaking generally here im no longer a subscriber idk how bryan sounds these days but even the worst poo poo during the attitude era wwf/nitro reviews was fun to listen to them talk about when i still was because it was clear they were looking forward to doing it

I think a large part of the fun feeling of the retro reviews is that don't have to care about where it's going, they can just enjoy it for what it is, good or bad. The history is already written so there's no use in coming in every week and wringing hands over "they need to push this guy" because we already know who got pushed or whatever other thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Have Granny review DDT

do it you cowards