Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Still around, I'll get my post up in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Welp. Post after work today.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I'm going to update at least the combat after work today, so if you haven't posted by then, I'll update the non-combat team.

As for having rebel assist with the tech use via radio he can aid a +10 for assist, but I'll take a full round action out of his combat to do so.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Posting will be a bit delayed. My father is on town helping me finish my rec room in the basement, so I've been busy. I hope to update later this week, but it might not be until early next week.

Either way, this Friday will mark the 5th anniversary of the game, which is loving mind blowing.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Post up either after work today or tommorow.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well crap. Post in the morning then.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Going to try and update in the next couple days, hopefully tonight. Having just got back from vacation I'm catching up at work, and since I'll be gone again the last week of the month, trying to get ahead. Work is taxing, so I just want to veg out when I get home most nights.

But yeah, will shoot for one night this week to update, I hope.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, real talk time guys. I know I've been loving up on this, I take 100% of the blame on how long these updates have been taking. Look, doing combat by play by post is just rough, it always is. I try to do things to streamline combat from my end, but it doesn't always work. I don't want to cheat any of you from any of the equipment or skills or feats you have. As a GM, I hate nothing more than posting a combat update and a player replying, "hey did you remember my power field?" or "did you remember I have this feat?" I don't get mad at the player, I get mad at myself.

When I do combat updates, they can sometimes take an hour for me. Looking at your actions, arranging everything in order. Rolling dodges/parries for enemies, rolling dodging/parries for you, looking at location hits, armor on each location, armor penetration, rolling attacks to hit for the enemies, see where they hit you, rolling their damage. Then add on top of that me updating any map, if I am doing a map for you guys.

I know when I sit down to do a combat post, it'll be at least an hour, and some days when I come home from work, doing an hour long combat post is the last thing I want. Look, when we aren't in combat I can post multiple times a week, it's only when I face these huge combat posts that I slow my posting down.

So I hand-waived the fight with the eldar, even though it was supposed to be a set piece boss fight. To help things go faster, I am going to be making some changes and proposing others. Here are the list of changes that will be going into effect to make my combat posting quicker. If you don't like any of these changes let me know:

1. Expect more hordes. I don't like them because I think they are too powerful, and I also think they go down too easy. The last few fights I've been using troop level enemies in mass. This slows down combat, and I find they just can't loving touch you guys. They need the extra d10's from magnitute to attack. So from now on, if I use troop level troops (maybe even many elites) they'll be as hordes.
2. NPCs are only going to dodge or parry if they have +10 in the ability, or they are a master level enemy. Any mooks who don't have +10 in it will just not dodge or parry.
3. All hits in combat are going to be torso hits. Screw the whole reversing the attack roll number and consulting a chart. Attacks in combat will only ever not be torso shots if you players or the NPCs use a called shot action.

The following two changes are up for discussion and I want feedback on:
1. gently caress power fields and beguiling gems. I am considering replacing their whole mechanic with "once per combat, the wearer can negate one full attack" and leave it at that. Make it less random. It does weaken them in that normally they might proc more than once a combat, but this way it can be more reliable. You can just negate that one big melee attack that might instantly gib you. So can NPCs with them.

2. I think I need to majorly overhaul how combat works. The initiative system and doing turns as they are just isn't working. I picked up Wrath and Glory at Gen Con, and I propose their system, which is an alternating players and adversary system. At the start of each combat a player goes first. Either you all can decide, or a the first player to post goes first. Then the GM picks one adversary to go. Then another player who has not gone yet this round, etc, until everyone has gone. In situations where one side has more people than the other, than once the smaller number side has all gone, then those remaining all go. So say you're all fighting a daemon engine. One of you would go first (say Corvax) then the daemon engine, then the other four of you just back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

I propose this because it will make my updating a MUCH quicker task. Instead of having to look at everything everyone is doing, I need to just respond to whatever player just went, and do the actions for ONE enemy unit. This will greatly cut down on posting time, so I hopefully won't feel the dread of an hour plus to post and put it off. It will also keep combat more dynamic and stop it from going stagnant for too long.

This will mostly make the initiative stat obsolete, but it will still be used to determine who acts first in situations where two or more characters are acting at once (held actions and overwatch) all feats that impact initiative (roll 2 pick the highest, use perception or intelligence instead) still apply.

Let me know your positions on the power fields and combat pacing idea.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm fine with the free invulnerable save. My dude is the one that benefits most from init and force field bullshit, so sure. My only concern with mobs is its a lot harder for me to do anything to them, but I think I'm probably the only or one of the only PCs without a mass murder attack, and I guess I can just get a flamer or buy a mob minion.

I think you mentioned you were keeping with FFG since W&G doesn't have a chaos book yet?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Do all of those things, especially the free invulnerable saves. My dalliances with running 40k games taught me that doing combat RAW in PBP format is pure agony, so kudos to you for even making it this far.

And yeah, right now WanG Chaos really isn't deep enough for running super fancy top-level Chaos dudes like us. It'd work well for a game about scrubby cultists trying to slowly but surely poison a world against the Imperium. Top-level Chaos dudes who carry around so many unholy artifacts they forget most of them half the time, not so much.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Do the WANG thing where invul fields add to armor and can't be negated and see how that works for values.

Back and forth works.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

I'm fine with the free invulnerable save. My dude is the one that benefits most from init and force field bullshit, so sure. My only concern with mobs is its a lot harder for me to do anything to them, but I think I'm probably the only or one of the only PCs without a mass murder attack, and I guess I can just get a flamer or buy a mob minion.

I think you mentioned you were keeping with FFG since W&G doesn't have a chaos book yet?

It won't be exclusively hordes. There will still be non-horde elites and master level enemies as well. I'm just saying in the future when I use troop level enemies, they will be hordes, not me having six of them per combat slowing down the initiative.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

And yeah, right now WanG Chaos really isn't deep enough for running super fancy top-level Chaos dudes like us. It'd work well for a game about scrubby cultists trying to slowly but surely poison a world against the Imperium. Top-level Chaos dudes who carry around so many unholy artifacts they forget most of them half the time, not so much.

Basically this. while WanG has rules on how to make cultists and Chaos marines, nothing in the equipment section lists out any chaos artefacts. I haven't seen anything yet about rituals, daemon weapons, etc. I still have the later sections of the rule book to look at (I haven't even looked at the psychic powers section yet) so that may change.

Viva Miriya posted:

Do the WANG thing where invul fields add to armor and can't be negated and see how that works for values.

I thought about doing that, but 1. I'm not in the mood to try and figure out what the AP provided by each type of power field is, and 2. with most of you in power armor, I rarely have situations where a weapon totally negates your armor through AP, so for balance purposes I'm a little hesitant to give you all armor that can't be reduced by penn at all. Yeah, I'm sure there is a happy medium there, but I don't feel like turning everything into a playtest to balance a new power field mechanic.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I'm fine with whatever changed you think are best, Werix. The W&G rules sound pretty similar to what we kinda end up doing anyway, but more formalized. Only issue I foresee is if people are reluctant to post because they are waiting for others to make a move they can react to.

I've been really slow in posting and I'm sorry about that. Lots of RL stuff, like new job and moving and vacations make updating something that slips my mind for too long at a time.

And yeah, the biggest glaring issue with the system (and really all the WH40K ones I've played) is the rocket tag aspect at higher levels of play.

Keep at it, I've really enjoyed this game for the years it has run and really appreciate the work you've put in to making it as good as it is!

Olanphonia fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 30, 2018

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Song suggestion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cAMIkTyZc

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

succ

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Bump to prevent archive, also will try to post after work. I figure the guy with ab 6 and sprint can video-game stamina bar run through this level the fastest.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

Bump to prevent archive, also will try to post after work. I figure the guy with ab 6 and sprint can video-game stamina bar run through this level the fastest.

Thanks for that. Game is very much alive, I'll post an update tomorrow or Friday. Just got back to work today after vacation and things are kinda settling in the new house, so I should be stable enough to update soon. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Real life is always more important than spacemen being soap operas (and congrats on the house).

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm for stabilizing the reactor core. I'll post when I hear from the rest of y'all.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, so what are the logistics of freeing a demon on board and asking it to play nuclear engineer because we asked nicely?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

What's the status on the ships caught on the outer edge of the reactor detonation, any potentially salvageable bits? (i.e., are there any semi-intact hulks or is everything that it took out totally atomized?)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Everything close enough got atomized/blown to scrap. Everything not close enough to be totally destroyed is at least crewed, warp capable, and going to limp home.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Do we have control of the scrap yard servitors and engines or are they sort of like big feral rats we feed with junk? Basically I'm wondering if that area contains stuff that actively will attempt to kill us if we enter.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

We just need to assert dominance. Walk up and slap them in the nose.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Olanphonia posted:

Do we have control of the scrap yard servitors and engines or are they sort of like big feral rats we feed with junk? Basically I'm wondering if that area contains stuff that actively will attempt to kill us if we enter.

Good question! I'll address that in a more fluff appropriate post in thread, but essentially they're a bunch of scrap servitors operating on a basic program of scrapping any raw materials in there, as well as exterminating any unauthorized (read all) organic matter.

Their design is so basic (read robust) that they have no Noosphere connection. Someone could reprogram them if they got close enough to interface manually. No one has bothered, since they just kind keep doing their own thing. If one breaks down the others will actually use scrap to repair it.

Pretty hands freesystem.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Oh hey Werix, Dash's new Infamy is 77 and his Corruption is now 40. Let's do a thing :kheldragar:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

Oh hey Werix, Dash's new Infamy is 77 and his Corruption is now 40. Let's do a thing :kheldragar:

I'm in Vegas for work all week, but I'll get to it this weekend.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Hey, since I think some of you are like me and don't often check Discord, this is what I recently said there, and I want player feedback on how to proceed:

Well I've been considering a couple options to proceed. One is to end the game after six years with the group having at least secured themselves their own foothold in the screaming vortex.

Second option is to continue with the four way cold war between the various daemon princes but just assigning you guys jobs, as it appears the group has never really cared much for any of the four specific princes and never cares when I come to a "well who do you want to work with."

third is to abandon the plot point all together and let the players, finally provisioned with a home base and their ship, kinda do what they want

forth was sort of a "soft reset" by arranging an accident in the warp and having you all crash on a planet or in a space hulk or something with limited supplies, loss of some weapons and equipment, and have to survive, escape, etc.
______
I really want the game to continue, and I am all good with moving forward. My original goal six years ago was for the party to eventually pick which of the four daemon princes, Aethun, Great Master, Draven, and Jayden, they liked most/felt most comfortable with and either siding with them on invading the Calaxis sector, or try to go it alone and forsake all four. That option was always designed to put you in the most direct conflict with Aethun, as he was the one who provisioned you the ship.

However, in the Years since the game started, it has mostly been me kind of introducing all four of the princes due to my glacial pace of updating the game, and player turnover doesn't help. (Mad props to Jolinaxas, Olanphonia, and to an extent Viva for being from the original group and sticking with it.)

We could perhaps use this as an opportunity to retool things. Maybe switch to Wrath and Glory, or maybe make it an opportunity for players to make a new character. Maybe you feel your character has run their course and you want to try another character. Playing a strong devotee of Chaos who has heard about the Warband of the Sovereign. Maybe we scale the power back some, and have you all make new characters who are serving under your current ones? Make Corvax, Octuv, and the group NPCs. Make the game like Borderlands 2 in that regard?

I want this to be an open discussion, so please, give me your ideas and feed back.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I actually wouldn't mind rolling back the power level a bit and making new characters who work for the existing ones. Octuv's pretty much on the victory lap at this point.

If we continue with our characters, though, I'd rather just stick with "here's a few job options, choose one" stuff from the various princes. I don't have any strong opinions on them and I think this kind of game generally works better when the GM presents you with paths to take.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I actually wouldn't mind rolling back the power level a bit and making new characters who work for the existing ones. Octuv's pretty much on the victory lap at this point.

If we continue with our characters, though, I'd rather just stick with "here's a few job options, choose one" stuff from the various princes. I don't have any strong opinions on them and I think this kind of game generally works better when the GM presents you with paths to take.

This seems like a good idea to me, especially if we are considering a change in the system. The pbp system really benefits from forced choice from the GM because we don't easily have the ability to have quick informal discussion on a path forward.

Also want to say I'm sorry that I've been slack on posting. No real excuse, I'm basically only thinking about the game at times when I'm not home with access to my books.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I like the idea of W&G reboot. I think Dash could roll with the underlings since he's still a squishy human, just one that moves like an Eldar.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well I am only going to do a Wrath and Glory reboot if all the players who wish to continue agree to it, but I am fine with doing so. The problem is that the Chaos stuff in the core book is not very well defined. There are renegade classes, but they really phoned it in on astartes. They basically just say to use the loyalist astartes stuff with a few changes. They also don't have special rules for the different traitor legions like they do for the loyalists.

Also Corruption and mutation is basically a bad thing. You can get good mutations, but you can get bad ones. You also automatically become a spawn if you get over 25 corruption. You also, RAW, don't get a choice to get a mutation/malignancy, it gets triggered when you go up a corruption level, and you have to fail a test. As such, we'd likely need to change that, since mutating is part of the fun of serving the gods.

Like I said, those of you staying in the game would need to all agree to go to Wrath and Glory. Otherwise we can still do the reset and keep using FFG ruleset.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
I agree with what seems to be the prevailing sentiment that a rollback in power would be nice, if not necessary. Well, that and I love our old badasses just kind of being in the background doing the boring "manager" work (and being in charge while under your control to alleviate the choice paralysis issue)

That said, I'm not really a fan of moving over to W&G. As has been said, there really just isn't enough to work with, especially with Chaos. Even with the recommended talent swaps (the book says Guard medics can just swap their ability for hospitallers, so would-be warpsmiths poaching the heretek's ability instead of the pick-a-crit that normal marines get would make sense) I think that the game is just several splatbooks short of serving our purposes.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay so if we went with a power rollback as underlings, should we go full to starting? Or go with just enough for advanced archetypes?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hmm. We could also consider another system as well, Atomic Robo FATE let's you abstract a lot of stuff and is way less gear porny (since gear just adds to stats/adds aspects and is paid for with the same pile of chargen points as everything else)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ronwayne posted:

Hmm. We could also consider another system as well, Atomic Robo FATE let's you abstract a lot of stuff and is way less gear porny (since gear just adds to stats/adds aspects and is paid for with the same pile of chargen points as everything else)

Eh, if I went to another non 40k system I'd try to hack it into Starfinder.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
If we roll back in BC, I'd say enough to buy advanced archetypes. The sweet spot for the FFG systems, at least for me, is that point where you really start being able to define your character's role, but you still have a long way to go.

That being said, weird as it sounds, I know from experience that Atomic Robo FATE actually works okay for 40k. Waci ran a Spikegame in it and, yeah, it didn't get anywhere for obvious reasons, but the actual system and the way it handles gear and powers is legitimately good. You basically just reskin and rewrite abilites suggested by the book, and it all has point values. It's simple and it's fast, and it kinda feels like MHR except without all the janky dice-pool assembly.

But really, I'm fine sticking with the original. Black Crusade's a favorite for a reason, janky and broken as it can get.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, the way I'm leaning right now is this:

Game system: FFG Black Crusade

Exp level: likely enough for advanced archetypes +500-1k exp. Use corruption and infamy values from like page 25 of the core book for advanced starts.

Where I am also hanging at is group make up. One of the lessons I've learned the last 6 years is that mixed groups are difficult to GM, especially with combat. So I am NOT going to do a mixed group. So either you're all humans or all marines. I am leaning making you all humans, as there is more variety in what you can be and do, but I can be persuaded if most of you want to do marines.

Things are still way early stage, but given Aethun is Alpha Legion, gave your current party the ship, and Corvax is Alpha Legion, I am leaning towards everyone in the group being human Alpha Legion infiltrators. Are you working for Aethun? Has Corvax called in Legion favors to have you come in and root out Aethun loyalists? Has the greater Legion gotten sick of Aethun and/or Corvax not pulling the party line and sent you in to observe and report? All three? It would still mostly be the group doing missions on behalf of your current PCs, with added dead drops and paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
I'm totally down with humans. So with 1k extra, that'd be 12 infamy, 18 corruption I think?

quote:

<Stuff about plot>

Corvax does want Aethun's people out, but he's also cast off a lot of his legion's culture/trappings/allegiances, so I could see them observing the business at usual and seeing who they want to support for... whatever they want to do. Or don't want to do.

While cute in a Death Note "my trap is hidden inside your trap, which I mind-wiped from me so I could trap you" fashion, this is precisely why I didn't play Corvax as a typical AL member. =)