Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This looks, uh, uneven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdcBNrjc3wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dillbag posted:

There is a TON of face replace going on in features right now and Disney & ILM are getting very, very good at it.

I honestly don't know, dude's got a few steps left in him even at 90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIiI05uNgnI

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moY78qMJuxM

Miss Marvel punches an old woman in the face.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It looks like a decent "Marvel quality" movie, but I have to give them props for setting the timeline in the past just by having the Blockbuster Video in the first shot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kanonvandekempen posted:

She’s got the helmet gently caress yes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mermaid vs Gangsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAizaneo02I

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She’s got the helmet gently caress yes.

Doesn't have the mohawk though so...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't have the mohawk though so...

The helmet literally has the mohawk.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Aw man I thought you meant the other kind of gangsters, that's a movie I'd see. Crips vs Cryptids.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

That's Captain Marvel to you, buddy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You mean Shazam.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Guess who's back? Back again. Mary's back. Tell a friend.

I was trying to figure out why I recognized the oldest brother, then I realized it's the same kid who shanked Lancel Lannister.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah that's an odd choice for a shot to throw in there.

Trailer isn't doing much for me, but I know very little of the character, and I'll go see it just because it's a cool lady kicking rear end.

God, I hate when trailers have dialogue that was audibly clipped to make it shorter for the trailer, and this one seems to have it every second line.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Yeah. But will watch. I'm a sucker for stuff about old-timey actors or comedians. I think it's because, especially for these sort comedians, they tended to have a single persona that persisted through all their work, often across multiple decades and genre. So it's easy to assume that they are that persona and there is nothing more to them. And turns out they're usually as hosed up as everyone else. Same goes for some rockstars and wrestlers, but you already know they're hosed up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Yeah that's an odd choice for a shot to throw in there.

Trailer isn't doing much for me, but I know very little of the character, and I'll go see it just because it's a cool lady kicking rear end.

God, I hate when trailers have dialogue that was audibly clipped to make it shorter for the trailer, and this one seems to have it every second line.

When I get a domestic spot that I need to internationalize with this stuff in there the first thing I do is cut out as much as I can. That and hilarious cheats where they've put the minimal amount of effort in pretending the character is actually saying what you're hearing. They think people don't notice and I disagree.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

kanonvandekempen posted:

A missed opportunity for a Stan Lee cameo right there

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Miss Marvel trailer looks like hot garbage. The Blockbuster shot was just groanworthy, and the bizarre Top Gun thing they're trying to do really doesn't work in the post-2003 culture where American fighter pilots have done little more than drop bombs on Muslims civilians for the past few decades.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Taintrunner posted:

That Miss Marvel trailer looks like hot garbage. The Blockbuster shot was just groanworthy, and the bizarre Top Gun thing they're trying to do really doesn't work in the post-2003 culture where American fighter pilots have done little more than drop bombs on Muslims civilians for the past few decades.

Captain Marvel takes place in the mid-90's.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have no idea what sort of movie that's supposed to be (besides a prologue to Avengers 4, I guess). It just seems to be all over the place and none of it makes me go "wow" or "hmm, interesting," which is somehow even below par for the MCU movies. Although I hope they bring back Ronan through the magic of comics since he was a cool character in the comics and deserved more than a cool intro scene and then getting chumped by the power of friendship.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah the trailer isn't doing much for me, but even when I was into comics the cosmic Marvel stuff and aliens never did. I liked the first Guardians and Thor in Space as comedies, but without that I probably wouldn't have bothered. They'll be another trailer in a few months that will clearly spoil the entire plot, the punchline to any jokes and the big action moments, so I'll wait for that I guess.

I liked the costume and the Her/A Hero transition was kind of neat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

It's releasing in 2019.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

It's releasing in 2019.

So? It's still set in the 90's.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vagabundo posted:

So? It's still set in the 90's.

Yeah absolutely nothing has changed in history, politics, or culture from the 90s until now, that might make “heroic fighter pilot” about as grossly out of touch as Spider-Man being buddy buddy with the cops and setting up a mass surveillance network on the civilian populace in the latest PS4 game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

I wonder if that Jonah Hill-directed movie Mid-90s was actually a Marvel movie all along...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Couldn't give a poo poo without Mara and Fincher. Foy looks terrible.

I think the director of Don’t Breathe is a solid match for the film and I’ll watch it for that. If you’re going to replace Fincher with someone cheaper, you could do far worse. He has a similar sense of cool and cold filmmaking with high production quality standards, but he leans more into exploitation cinema tropes - which works well here. I like his previous work enough to give this a shot.

Ditching Mara was a mistake though. She was perfect. Foy looks like a generic wannabe in this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah absolutely nothing has changed in history, politics, or culture from the 90s until now, that might make “heroic fighter pilot” about as grossly out of touch as Spider-Man being buddy buddy with the cops and setting up a mass surveillance network on the civilian populace in the latest PS4 game.

:psyduck:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wonder if that Jonah Hill-directed movie Mid-90s was actually a Marvel movie all along...

if that movie ends with Brie Larson showing up out of nowhere and vaporizing Lukas Hedges it deserves all the Oscars

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

lol

It’s a loving comic book movie set in the 90s.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

lol

It’s a loving comic book movie set in the 90s.

what difference does that make?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

what difference does that make?

That bitching about a comic book movie set in the 90s having 90s sensibilities is funny to me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anachronisms are hot right now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I can't believe the hot takes coming from that Spider-man game where most of the NYPD has been arrested for corruption and god forbid it occurs in a fantasy where the cops aren't pure evil (granted I do believe in police/prison abolition)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

That bitching about a comic book movie set in the 90s having 90s sensibilities is funny to me.

i still don't understand what ur saying. if u set a movie in the past u can't criticize it for being regressive because that sort of thing was more accepted in the time period its set in?

e: & that's especially true if it's a " comic book movie"?

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 19, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Why are you mad about this poo poo? It's a loving superhero, their entire job is to beat up mentally-ill people and minorities.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

i still don't understand what ur saying. if u set a movie in the past u can't criticize it for being regressive because that sort of thing was more accepted in the time period its set in?

e: & that's especially true if it's a " comic book movie"?

OK, what sort of thing?

Using 90s “cool fast jet fighter” tropes as a wink to the film’s setting? Or are you claiming if they do they’re implicitly condoning some of the questionable and outright offensive action movies of that time period? Because unless you saw a different trailer than I did, I’m not sure where that’s coming from.

I’m laughing at the idea of using 90’s action movie stylings is equivalent of it being like “let’s bomb them dirty Ay-Rabs into glass” 90s movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: dbl post

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm realizing now the Captain Marvel trailer is reminding me a lot of Green Lantern, which isn't great. But so far I haven't been truly disappointed by an MCU movie yet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
When people make movies in a certain time period, they generally don't make movies as if the production happened then.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m laughing at the idea of using 90’s action movie stylings is equivalent of it being like “let’s bomb them dirty Ay-Rabs into glass” 90s movie.

What do you think those fighter jets were used for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's some really bizarre thinking going on in here. Just because a movie is a period piece or an action movie doesn't mean it's not beholden to the cultural sensitivities of the times in which it's made. If it were a 60s period piece and the protagonist was throwing around racial slurs you wouldn't say "uh its set in the 60s idiot that was normal back then".