Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My biggest issue with playing on hard was that by the end of the game, even just travelling 2-3 hits could gently caress you up while you're trying to power to the next location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Hit the dodge button and move quickly. The suit attachment that reduces bullet damage also helps some.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DLC Inc posted:

I need a Spider-Signal gadget like in the early comics. Alert an entire compound to your presence but adds extra Focus or something.

Anything bright enough would also burn off Spidey's belt slash crotch

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Got Unlimited and went back and read Ultimate Spider-Man again. I forgot how much I loved that they built Kraven up for like 4 or 5 issues before Spidey knocked him out with one punch

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I basically only used Electric Punch throughout the game because it makes crowds so manageable

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I basically only used Electric Punch throughout the game because it makes crowds so manageable

Though for the challenges that require you to electrify x number of people, just use an EMP blast.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DLC Inc posted:

I need a Spider-Signal gadget like in the early comics. Alert an entire compound to your presence but adds extra Focus or something.

You'll get sued!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The ability that let's you charge electricity while in the air and discharge it when returning to the ground more or less accomplished the same thing (and also looks cool; Spidey will be sparking during cutscenes and stuff).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If nothing else, the Combat Challenges make you appreciate and use the wide variety of gadgets. They can be combined in fun ways and can be used in place of each other as you run out of some. Tossing a Web Bomb at a crowd after Suspension Matrix is awesome for sticking a bunch of enemies to the ground but if you're out of Bombs you can quickly air combo from enemy to enemy to hit them with Trip Mines to accomplish the same thing.

The Challenge also make you test a lot of different Suit Powers. Most people in the thread so far recommend Web Blossom for the Combat Challenges but I've found Quad Damage and Spider-Bro are drat good as well.

Has anyone ever used Blitz? I hate Spider-Man running in general so that Suit Power just seems both useless and anti-Spidey. I suppose it could come in handy for the Bomb Challenges, maybe? But it has to be activated. Blitz and a bunch of other Suit Powers could be much more useful if they were passive abilities and not temporary with cooldown.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

bloodychill posted:

Hit the dodge button and move quickly. The suit attachment that reduces bullet damage also helps some.

Totally, I wish I could have weened myself off Battle Focus but I was never able to.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I never used the last two gadgets or electric webs really. getting 65x combo for that one base on Spectacular was a legitimate challenge

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never used the last two gadgets or electric webs really. getting 65x combo for that one base on Spectacular was a legitimate challenge

What's more difficult about Spectacular? More enemies, harder hitting enemies, shorter dodge window, worse healing...? Are gadgets and Suit Powers affected at all?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dramicus posted:

Though for the challenges that require you to electrify x number of people, just use an EMP blast.

I would just use the Spider-Bro power and then maybe need to shoot one or two electric webs at people after that.

Spider-Bro also for the ones where x people would need to be electrocuted at once.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I would just use the Spider-Bro power and then maybe need to shoot one or two electric webs at people after that.

Spider-Bro also for the ones where x people would need to be electrocuted at once.

You could absolutely do that, but the EMP is a one-button completion of the task.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I used the “web everything” one for a long while because it would take a lot of guys out and make the remaining ones easier to deal with. Electric fists were good though too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For actually tough fights I only used the slow time on dodge, extra healing, and faster focus suit mods, and then for the actual suit power I'd just use Quips since it recharges the fastest, flinches everything, and it's hilarious.

Toss drones, throw out a few bombs, charge jump and start air throwing dudes, and do the leg slide dodge and trip wire (will usually tether them to another guy) or just strike -> jump and impact web from the air to immediately face plant them. When you run low, chain 4 finishers to get them all back, throw a quip and repeat. And only use charged leaps, swings, and triangle to move around in fights. Well, and dodge.

Also throw everything in sight, all the time, always.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What is the point conversion for time bonus in Challenges? It is absolutely horseshit that there is no way to see a) your current actual time b) the total time at the end of your run or c) the target time (in drone and bomb challenges where everything other than time is enormously constrained and time is the sole actual factor).

I am loving the poo poo out of this game but lord do I want to drag whoever came up with these challenges before Gamer Court and have them explain themselves.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fedule posted:

What is the point conversion for time bonus in Challenges? It is absolutely horseshit that there is no way to see a) your current actual time b) the total time at the end of your run or c) the target time (in drone and bomb challenges where everything other than time is enormously constrained and time is the sole actual factor).

I am loving the poo poo out of this game but lord do I want to drag whoever came up with these challenges before Gamer Court and have them explain themselves.

As far as I could determine, you need to have somewhere around 17-18 seconds left on the clock for the drone challenges. However, I can only really say that about the Greenwich and upper east side challenges because those were the ones I really had to work on. The other two I must have golded within a dozen or so tries. If you are having trouble with one of those two run, I can probably give you some tips straight from memory. Naturally, you do have to get all the wireless things to get gold.

The bomb challenges are a little finicky, but you shouldn't really have trouble getting gold as long as you don't really get stuck on anything or overshoot your target.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The thing to know about the Drone Challenges is that the drone isn't going at a constant rate or anything, it maintains a minimum distance of about 45m from you, so if you go faster, it goes faster. Essentially you just learn where the cameras are going to be and abuse the hell out of slowdown with L2 to aim point launches. Some of them you can finish with drat near 30 seconds left, but yeah, high tens to low 20s seems to be where those need to be for golds.

Bomb challenges are basically be fast, use L2 to slow down and zip to the perch the game puts in front of the bomb, like each bomb has a spot that pops up in front of it to instantly zip to with L2+R2 then immediately hold L1+R1, mash R1, then point launch toward the next one and be quick about it (don't get too much air unless you need to go up). There's only like two of them that are super tight imo, one's in China Town iirc, and the other one is along the waterfront and it sometimes can be tricky getting to the last one if you miss a good spot to zip, launch, or swing off of above the water.

Edit: Also if you just wanna upgrade everything you only need gold in all but 5 challenges, with silvers in those (unless I counted wrong last night). I upgraded everything and had 1 challenge token left, also had a few bases that didn't have all objectives complete but those are easier to manage than some of the challenges.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 18, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I ever really used the L2 slow down on any of the drone or bomb challenges. In fact, I used mostly R2 webswining and X webzips for the vast majority of those challenge. Of course I did use the L2+R2 webzips to hit various marks, but I never really bothered to slow down for them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My map is claiming I have one more research station on the Upper West Side, but only one appears on the map. I've cleared out everything else from this part of the city besides this mysterious research station and the crimes

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Macaluso posted:

My map is claiming I have one more research station on the Upper West Side, but only one appears on the map. I've cleared out everything else from this part of the city besides this mysterious research station and the crimes

Have you completed all the other research stations? There's a last one that only appears when you do the other stations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crappy Jack posted:

Have you completed all the other research stations? There's a last one that only appears when you do the other stations.

I wondered if that's what it was, good to know

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Macaluso posted:

Fast travel somewhere or do a demon base, anything that initiates a loading screen. I had this exact problem and after that it popped up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I finally did it. It's really remarkable how every mechanic that makes traversal generally joyous works together so perfectly to make drone challenges utterly miserable. I then had to redo the last combat challenge a couple times to keep fighting Taskmaster because of course they wouldn't just let you retry from a checkpoint. (Does he actually require you to keep getting medals if you haven't aced everything yet?)

Speaking of combat and ongoing gadget chat, I haven't used a gadget other than Spider Drones since unlocking Spider Drones. They seem to melt everyone pretty effortlessly and with a handy suit mod I basically have them on tap after a single ordinary takedown if more than one person is left alive. There was a reason it was a combat challenge I kept redoing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fedule posted:

Well I finally did it. It's really remarkable how every mechanic that makes traversal generally joyous works together so perfectly to make drone challenges utterly miserable. I then had to redo the last combat challenge a couple times to keep fighting Taskmaster because of course they wouldn't just let you retry from a checkpoint. (Does he actually require you to keep getting medals if you haven't aced everything yet?)
No, you just got to get Bronze in all his challenges to fight him, thank goodness.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I must be weird as hell because I still think these were the most fun traversal type challenges I've done in a game. They were relatively short and had a pretty good flow. Yes, it could be a bit challenging to get gold on them because you had to be continually moving, but there was a small margin or error. I honestly felt like if I missed when I was going for gold, it was my own fault like 80% of the time and then like 20% of the time was the game not hitting the spot I thought it would on a webswing or something along those lines.

They could have put in a half dozen more and I would have been happy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TMMadman posted:

I must be weird as hell because I still think these were the most fun traversal type challenges I've done in a game. They were relatively short and had a pretty good flow. Yes, it could be a bit challenging to get gold on them because you had to be continually moving, but there was a small margin or error. I honestly felt like if I missed when I was going for gold, it was my own fault like 80% of the time and then like 20% of the time was the game not hitting the spot I thought it would on a webswing or something along those lines.

They could have put in a half dozen more and I would have been happy.

:yeah:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Uh 1: there IS a god damned el and
2: you CAN motherfucking ride it! (though it doesn't circle the city like it should).

Also Jonah has a little speech for the Negative suit too. Not as grand as punk but he still mentions it.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lol the Blitz suit power + rooftop fights + swinging & running around like a maniac and sending everybody flying owns

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Holy jesus, I know I'm late to the party but Resupply + maxed out spidey drones + gadget resupply on finisher mod is basically a "spam drones and finishers until the blood god is satisfied" method of being a superhero.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just platted the game, first I've ever done that with. Other than running back and forth waiting for crimes to pop up, 100%ing it was fun enough to make it worthwhile. The backpacks are the most standard "go to the marked point and get the thing" type of open world collectibles, and even those are enjoyable to get since they involve lots of web swinging to get around the city and get to them. Overall well worth my $60, and I'm excited to see what the DLC brings.

I still have 4 secret photos somewhere in the city though. :argh:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, the big thing about Spider-Man's place in an endless expanse of identical open-world games is that yes it's full of cookie cutter busywork but the stuff itself is never the point as much as the swinging and zipping you do in the course of doing those things. This is why Spider-Man joins Batman: Arkham Knight and Saints Row IV among my favourite such games; they're the ones that mostly leverage the format to let you have fun traversing (and fighting). Batman gets a ding for having the awful car but also a merit for its incredible combat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished and platted

i'm annoyed that this turned out to be as good as it was

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Man, this game's combat is awful. I'm just swinging at random people since I don't seem to have a lock-on, plus dodge seems to not work, especially during this Shocker fight. :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, this game's combat is awful. I'm just swinging at random people since I don't seem to have a lock-on, plus dodge seems to not work, especially during this Shocker fight. :argh:

quoting so this post is preserved for eternity

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

you're supposed to be web-swinging during that fight, your normal dodge doesn't give you enough clearance

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In addition to what was said about the Shocker fight:

1) Always be moving. Spider-Man is extremely mobile, use that to your advantage.
2) Crowd control is more important than focusing on any one enemy. You'll leave yourself open to attack from everyone else if you get too focused on an individual, so use hit-and-run tactics and gadgets to wear down the group.
3) If you dodge in the line of a ranged attack, you'll still get hit. Keep an eye on which direction the attack is coming from and dodge perpendicular to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Oxxidation posted:

you're supposed to be web-swinging during that fight, your normal dodge doesn't give you enough clearance

Most boss fights are best played like a version of The Floor Is Lava and I wouldn't have it any other way.