Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

Yeah this. They can be fabulous and live their best lives while the haters seethe.

I've only seen Ruby on OITNB and she was pretty bland?. Idk I want to give her a chance. 🤷🏾‍♀️

She's so terrible she was cast as a mute in John Wick 2. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Yeah this. They can be fabulous and live their best lives while the haters seethe.

I've only seen Ruby on OITNB and she was pretty bland?. Idk I want to give her a chance. 🤷🏾‍♀️

She is so bland that even in JW2 where she doesn’t talk she is still meh lol.

Rhyno posted:

She's so terrible she was cast as a mute in John Wick 2. :)

Lol loving beaten and exactly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now I don't know you Marcus, but you never want to be on the same side as Rhyno when it comes to evaluating talent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Koalas March posted:

Also poc LGBT were upset because a lot of articles highlighting the casting were calling her the first out cw hero which obviously isn't true because Black Lightning.

It falls back to the narrative that a white person (or in this case company/TV show) do something that black people have already done and get commended X10 or often complete credit all together.
In fairness Curtis/Terrific is an out super hero too. And there's Alex Danvers who is basically a super hero. And the Snart and Ray characters from Earth X.

But the argument could be made that Batwoman is the first starring character while Terrific, Thunder, Snart, Ray, and Alex are supporting roles. Plus Black Lightning holds a kind of weird place outside the Arrowverse right now while Batwoman is being introduced implicitly in it.

Of course Sara Lance is bi and she's arguably one of the bigger characters in the Arrowverse, but I guess could easily be made that she's part of an ensemble so "Batwoman" is unique as a main character as she stands with "Supergirl", "Flash", "Arrow", and "Black Lightning."

edit: Yeah, "titular". That's what I was struggling to find.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They probably meant titular hero, just like how all the Captain Marvel stuff called her the first female MCU hero.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ruby Rose is so bland and terrible of an actress that she'll fit in perfectly on the CW.

... No really, people just don't like casting announcements anymore. Ever. Unless it's Idris Elba as Bond.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just chiming in to say that if the season 7 thread title isn't 'You have failed this Cell Block' I'm going to be very disappointed.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1035658530139725825

Spoilers for Season 7.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want that shirt.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Completely forgot he was going to be at All In! Now I'm more pumped to be going,

Aphrodite posted:

I want that shirt.

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/vigilante-club.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nice, didn’t even think to check them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What's All In? Some wrestling thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it’s a big independent wrestling show. Cody Rhodes, the guy Amell wrestled last time in the WWE match and who is in the show as that guy who can’t feel pain anymore, organized it with friends of his.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, long story short wrestler Cody Rhodes guest starred on Arrow a couple of times and wrestled Amell for some special marquee matches in WWE (the big, corporate owned, goliath of wrestling). He left WWE awhile back, joined the hottest act in wrestling outside WWE the Bullet Club, and they're putting on what is arguably the biggest show in the US in decades outside WWE that's kind of a big deal for the wrestlers' rights and ability to make money without big corporate places. Amell is friendly with Rhodes and the Bullet Club and messes around with them so is wrestling a match against Christopher Daniels, a very talent veteran who should be able to help make Amell look good. Its happening this afternoon (now).

I'm kind of amazed Amell doesn't have a contract that prevents this kind of thing. I'm just waiting for him to break a leg doing something fun but stupid and CW freaking out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 1, 2018

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Isn't Cody coming back for this upcoming season? Thought I read that somewhere

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah he's in the trailer. His character is in the same prison I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the season trailer had footage of him in prison with Oliver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amell's got very specific things he's allowed to do in his wrestling match, same for when he was on American Ninja Warrior. He's talked about it a few times on live fb vids. He kind of hinted that once Arrow runs it's course he wants to pursue those things full time.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, long story short wrestler Cody Rhodes guest starred on Arrow a couple of times and wrestled Amell for some special marquee matches in WWE (the big, corporate owned, goliath of wrestling). He left WWE awhile back, joined the hottest act in wrestling outside WWE the Bullet Club, and they're putting on what is arguably the biggest show in the US in decades outside WWE that's kind of a big deal for the wrestlers' rights and ability to make money without big corporate places. Amell is friendly with Rhodes and the Bullet Club and messes around with them so is wrestling a match against Christopher Daniels, a very talent veteran who should be able to help make Amell look good. Its happening this afternoon (now).

I'm kind of amazed Amell doesn't have a contract that prevents this kind of thing. I'm just waiting for him to break a leg doing something fun but stupid and CW freaking out.

Not to derail the thread but there’s actual solid competition to WWE again? I stopped watching/writing about wrestling shortly after WCW/ECW folded (and focused on politics haha)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Not to derail the thread but there’s actual solid competition to WWE again? I stopped watching/writing about wrestling shortly after WCW/ECW folded (and focused on politics haha)

No, not at all.

All In is a one off show. It might end up annual but it’s only doing so well because it’s rare and a novelty.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the reason All In is kind of a big deal is because its challenging the idea that WWE has a complete monopoly and you can't make money or be successful without them.

But WWE totally has a monopoly and for the last five years or so they made active moves to cut off anyone who might one day pose any kind of challenge them with talent raids and expansions. And they're such a massive wealthy corporate train there's really nothing anyone can do to stop them.

The current Bullet Club are basically just wrestling's rogues. They claim to make more money than they would in WWE and they took a public challenge that they could run their own show and make it a success without the corporate backing (even though they sorta have some corporate backing from ROH and NJPW, but its seems mostly grassroots). But the broad goal isn't "a promotion to rival WWE." Its "convincing wrestlers they don't need WWE to be successful wrestlers."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it literally started with Dave Meltzer, the wrestling journalist (but also kind of a doof as you’d expect of a middle aged guy whose entire life has been pro wrestling), saying he doesn’t think an indie show could draw 10k+ any time soon. So Cody kind of jokingly said “want to make a bet?” and it eventually led to this.

It would have done well regardless, since it actually sold out with only one match announced ahead of time, but the level of cooperation and build to it isn’t something you can do regularly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a big exciting deal because its someone "standing up" to the big guys, but like they're still the big guys and its not gonna change anything and its not even about WWE. People just kind of rallied behind it as a kind of indirect "gently caress you" to the status quo, I think. Its a rebellious streak.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Amell had a pretty good match especially considering he is an actor and this was like his 3rd wrestling match ever.

He did take an insane bump. I'm amazed the CW or whoever allowed him to take such a risk. I didn't expect anything this crazy for him

https://streamable.com/edjti

Pulled off a sweet coast to coast
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1036034435668496385

Edit: Josh Segarra walked out with Amell to the ring

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 2, 2018

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Edit: Josh Segarra walked out with Amell to the ring

In a Prometheus Club shirt. :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/TodoArrow/status/1036034099826315264

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

I'm assuming that was part of Diaz's plan too.

Was that a real Segarra or a vertigo hallicination?

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 2, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh cool so I'm literally the only person on the internet who thinks ruby rose is a perfect fit for batwoman

welp I'll just see myself out then :tipshat:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

oh cool so I'm literally the only person on the internet who thinks ruby rose is a perfect fit for batwoman

welp I'll just see myself out then :tipshat:

The internet is always upset about something. Genuinely liking something for what it is is an aberration.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

In more crossover news, Stephen Amell's wife has been cast as Mr. Freeze's wife.
Mr. Freeze is not part of the crossover.
https://twitter.com/StephenAmell/status/1040694361736937473

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Are we gonna get Poetic Mr. Freeze or Arnold Mr. Freeze?

This is the important question, before his wife literally gets fridged.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ApeHawk posted:

Are we gonna get Poetic Mr. Freeze or Arnold Mr. Freeze?

This is the important question, before his wife literally gets fridged.

Maybe she will be the villain with the cold gun and he will be the one getting fridged!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe she will be the villain with the cold gun and he will be the one getting fridged!

In that case, I say we call her Freeza.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm up to season 5, but man, it feels like a lesser man's season 2. We already had someone who knew Oliver was the Arrow and wants to ruin everything he loves.

Should I skip to season 6? I heard 6 was pretty bad, but it's the only thing left to watch.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm up to season 5, but man, it feels like a lesser man's season 2. We already had someone who knew Oliver was the Arrow and wants to ruin everything he loves.

Should I skip to season 6? I heard 6 was pretty bad, but it's the only thing left to watch.

Season 5 is pretty good; probably the best season out of 3-6. Season 6 starts good then goes downhill fast. I don't think arrow has ever been so bad that you should just stop watching it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If nothing else, watch crisis on earth-x.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

Season 5 is pretty good; probably the best season out of 3-6. Season 6 starts good then goes downhill fast. I don't think arrow has ever been so bad that you should just stop watching it.

Counterpoint: It made me stop watching it and i don't duck out on much. i got half way through the season and read a synopsis. Flash too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

If nothing else, watch crisis on earth-x.

Earth-X is a great self-contained story and does a fairly good job of catching you up on relevant important info from the four shows that's relevant to the plot. Plus, it's four straight hours of superheroes beating the poo poo out of Nazis. I can't think of a better selling point than that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Earth-X is a great self-contained story and does a fairly good job of catching you up on relevant important info from the four shows that's relevant to the plot. Plus, it's four straight hours of superheroes beating the poo poo out of Nazis. I can't think of a better selling point than that.

And not hemming and hawing about the Nazi beat downs either!

Season 6 of Arrow felt like a giant U curve, good start, awful middle, good to decent finish.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm almost finished with season 5 and I don't get how it was better than 4. Prometheus is so boring compared to Damien Darhk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm almost finished with season 5 and I don't get how it was better than 4. Prometheus is so boring compared to Damien Darhk.

Well, most people don't agree with that take and found Darhk lame.