Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

re rushing model 3:
they also desperately needed cash or at least convince investors that they had a path to profitability

also musk thought robots were magic and could assemble 100% of the car and move so fast you can't even see them clearly and the only reason people weren't already using robots like this was other companies were too silly and old fashioned and needed ~disrupting~

i don't want that point to ever be lost, musk genuinely believed he could hit all those absurd goals he set because he took the idea "robots are magic god-creatures that are only ever artificially held back by humans" as clear, obvious fact without question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

thanks tesla for the laughs this morning. it's good to smile.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

infernal machines posted:

there were a bunch of tweets showing water damage to the trunk area and missing screws/bolts in and around the wheel wells

maybe tesla can barrow some screws from nvidia and the 2080 line of cards?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ate all the Oreos posted:

also musk thought robots were magic and could assemble 100% of the car and move so fast you can't even see them clearly and the only reason people weren't already using robots like this was other companies were too silly and old fashioned and needed ~disrupting~

i don't want that point to ever be lost, musk genuinely believed he could hit all those absurd goals he set because he took the idea "robots are magic god-creatures that are only ever artificially held back by humans" as clear, obvious fact without question

are you suggesting that elon musk was wrong to be concerned about air resistance in his manufacturing process?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's those drat unions! that's why gm hasn't invested in high-speed manufacturing bots with the articulation and complexity of the human hand

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The best part is: Other companies ARE using a lot of robots, but they also have better QA due to decades of lessons and are willing to stop the line to make process improvements to the robots.

Elon just hoped that you could slap robots in there and be done with it, yet every robotics company will tell you that robots add a layer of complexity that, while improving production flow, require careful QA and rigid process training.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is: Other companies ARE using a lot of robots, but they also have better QA due to decades of lessons and are willing to stop the line to make process improvements to the robots.

Elon just hoped that you could slap robots in there and be done with it, yet every robotics company will tell you that robots add a layer of complexity that, while improving production flow, require careful QA and rigid process training.

and sometimes humans are just better are doing a few things then robots.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

iospace posted:

Death to capitalism.

Death to cars.

$TSLA: Death to capitalism, using cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wargames posted:

and sometimes humans are just better are doing a few things then robots.

can humans move so fast that you can't see them? no. QED

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
when people find out I work with industrial robots theyre inevitably like "haha so when are they going to take over the world" and honestly i think it's a classification error; the word "robot" is just too broad

there's like zero overlap between the type of robot you use in auto manufacturing and the type that can use deep learning or whatever to deal with unexpected situations, and from the standpoint of a robot, a soft part being in a slightly different configuration is an "unexpected situation"

things like installing wiring harnesses or placing those flame barrier mats on top of the battery modules are so clearly suited to human hands and Musk is a goddamn moron if he somehow can't understand this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not, they didn't bolt it on properly and they didn't attach the fairing right so it fills with water if you drive over a puddle

There are two bumper issues we're talking about

One is how, in a rainstorm, jets of water can be directed into the plastic bumper cover and cause it to tear off when you drive through a deep puddle

The other is that the actual bumper (the aluminum extrusion behind the plastic fascia) is connected to the frame in a way that a minor "Camry dent" incident can cause cascading damage to crumple zones in the rear, which require massive frame work to repair, so it totals the car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can humans move so fast that you can't see them? no. QED

*Elon Musk thinking harder than he's ever thought about anything before*

"Get me a geneticist and Bruce Lee's bones"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

when people find out I work with industrial robots theyre inevitably like "haha so when are they going to take over the world" and honestly i think it's a classification error; the word "robot" is just too broad

there's like zero overlap between the type of robot you use in auto manufacturing and the type that can use deep learning or whatever to deal with unexpected situations, and from the standpoint of a robot, a soft part being in a slightly different configuration is an "unexpected situation"

things like installing wiring harnesses or placing those flame barrier mats on top of the battery modules are so clearly suited to human hands and Musk is a goddamn moron if he somehow can't understand this

Yeah, certain simple tasks are just done faster by humans, agreed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's like zero overlap between the type of robot you use in auto manufacturing and the type that can use deep learning or whatever to deal with unexpected situations,

when i took a robotics class in school, i remember one of the cutting edge research projects at the time was like, can we build a robot that can correctly put a cup into a half-full dishwasher. this was a decade ago so i bet things have improved by now. like maybe now that dishwasher robot can do cups and plates

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, certain simple tasks are just done faster by humans, agreed.

*Makes jerking off motions* Eventually!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I can't wait till thousands of compromised IoT robot masturbators crush their owner's penises and humanity shines brightly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i took a robotics class in school, i remember one of the cutting edge research projects at the time was like, can we build a robot that can correctly put a cup into a half-full dishwasher. this was a decade ago so i bet things have improved by now. like maybe now that dishwasher robot can do cups and plates

a while back i saw a similar bit about the latest breakthrough in a robot folding clothes. it picked up each thing to fold out of a pile, spun it around in its gripper thing and examined it from several different angles, and finally decided how to fold it and put it in the pile. the entire process took twenty minutes per object. it looked slow even with the footage sped up a ton.

trying to look it up i instead found this fantastic thing that looks like a loving copier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76osXtpLeM

e: and this thing that appears to be the exact same idea with more buzzwords and a $16,000 price tag

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16865506/laundroid-laundry-folding-machine-foldimate-ces-2018

quote:

I was standing off to the side of the showroom at CES while engineers worked in hushed voices, fussing over a $16,000 artificial intelligence-powered laundry-folding machine. The machine wasn’t giving back the T-shirt I put in, and for one brief, terrifying second, I really thought I broke it.

I had brought my own Verge T-shirt to try out a prototype of Laundroid, and I had to coax Seven Dreamers CEO Shin Sakane into letting me drop my shirt in, instead of the demo shirts they had prepared. As he expected, it didn’t work. After about 15 minutes, the Laundroid opened up to reveal nothing but an empty drawer. An engineer had to reach into the machine to pull out the shirt.

It turned out that the machine had trouble recognizing my T-shirt, which was a dark gray, instead of the brightly colored demo shirts that were on hand. We gave it another try, this time dumping the basket of demo shirts into the insert drawer. 10 minutes later, I turned the dial to open up the slider door, which revealed one neatly folded pink T-shirt.

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

amazing. they built a robot that eats laundry.

i'm pretty sure the electric clothes dryer was invented in the 40s though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

amazing. they built a robot that eats laundry.

i'm pretty sure the electric clothes dryer was invented in the 40s though

quote:

Laundroid uses multiple robotic arms to pick up the clothes, which are then scanned by cameras. It’s connected by Wi-Fi to a server that uses artificial intelligence to analyze the object, and a neural network containing 256,000 images of different clothing items. The robot arms then determine the best way to handle the clothing, where to hold it up by, and how it should be folded. You’ll need a couple of hours for it to finish folding a load of laundry, as one T-shirt takes about 5–10 minutes to fold.

Yes, there’s something kind of comical about developing the most complicated, expensive solution possible to a simple chore like folding laundry, but Laundroid’s real strength lies in the way it uses artificial intelligence to gather data on clothing, and how it uses that data. Clothing items are analyzed piece by piece in order to relay information to the robot arms, but the machine uses the data of the type, size, and color of the clothing to sort it in different ways. A companion app will keep track of every piece of clothing analyzed by the Laundroid, and let users categorize clothes by household member or item. It’s essentially an online wardrobe organizer.

it has to stream all your clothes data to ~the cloud~ in order to take 10 minutes to fold a single shirt, and it didn't even work on my shirt.

in conclusion, it's amazing and great because it has an app. i am a reporter who is paid to do this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

univbee posted:

dead man walking across the street and getting plowed into by a driverless vehicle whose emergency brakes were disabled

mewse
May 2, 2006

it has to stream all your clothes data to ~the cloud~ in order to take 10 minutes to fold a single shirt, and it didn't even work on my shirt.

in conclusion, it's amazing and great because it has an app. i am a reporter who is paid to do this

Can't wait to be subjugated by inept laundry folding robots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

musk going for the high score

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1042106866749198336

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

all time champion of twitter self owns

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
just watch the first laundry folding robots will get installed in people's homes and someone's kid will climb into one and it'll fold the kid's shirt with the kid still in it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Sagebrush posted:

:eng101:
*makes jerking off motions* eventually!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

well duh, hes a firm believer in roko's basilisk
to him, all computers are magic

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

just watch the first laundry folding robots will get installed in people's homes and someone's kid will climb into one and it'll fold the kid's shirt with the kid still in it

the video of the cat in the dog washing machine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

from the limited pictures it does seem like that's 100% gonna happen, they censored the internals a bunch for ~trade secret~ reasons but even still it literally just looks like a box with two robot arms and a camera in it

also the article mentions it briefly but i found the other world's first laundry folding robot some other guy made, the Foldimate. It was also at CES, as a nonworking model. a video from a few months later shows it working, and the target release price is "only" like $950. the difference is instead of being based on loving robot arms and ~AI magic~ you just slide the item to be folded into a slot, it grabs it and folds it with rollers and drops it out the bottom. it's much smaller and faster but it uses 1/100th the buzzwords so i assume it will get zero funding

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:eng101:
*makes jerking off motions* eventually!

Makes jerking off motions, eventually.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Boring Company foldbot will incinerate your shirt using a Model 3 battery then order you a new $0.10 shirt from the Boring Company store, to be delivered by a self-driving car in 6 to 9 months.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/elon-musk-and-the-failure-of-our-imagination-in-space

quote:

Today, a mogul like Musk can help create a rocket-weapon of extraordinary destructive power while also preaching that we should become a “multi-planetary species.” His insistence that we need to establish a backup civilization elsewhere could be the first small step toward renouncing the Earth as a wasteland, rather than tending to it as the only paradise we might ever know.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“Every object humans have launched into the solar system is a statement,” the space archaeologist Alice Gorman wrote, in a piece about SpaceX’s iconography, after the launch. “Each tells the story of our attitudes to space at a particular point in time.” The photograph of Starman in Musk’s midnight-cherry Roadster, Gorman suggested, could qualify as the first “dick pic” taken in space.

im Space Archaeologist Alice Gorman

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

remember when he got into a slapfight with the zuck about the upcoming AI menace

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

I think its kind of amazing and impressive that it can fold any clothes at all. Its just unfortunate that they're trying to sell it as a finished product.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also

quote:

Afterward, in a column for the San Diego Tribune, the astrophysicist Alison Coil wrote about how disheartening it was to look at the cheering crowd of SpaceX employees and notice that it was a “sea of almost entirely white men.”

reminder that nasa has actively inclusive hiring policies that are enforced well and a bunch of union representation in many fields.

their hiring practices are good enough that before he got his current job my old white dad griped a bunch about how it was impossible to get a NASA job if you're not a woman or black, thanks dad that means they're doing a good job

he eventually got a job because they explicitly had to hire a minimum quota of 'veterans' because congress, and he was in the air force decades ago, so take that multiculturalism :smug:

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

I'd love to know what points Musk thinks Zuckerberg doesn't understand about AI. If I were a betting man, I'd wager Zuck understood the reality of the situation better.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ryde posted:

I think its kind of amazing and impressive that it can fold any clothes at all. Its just unfortunate that they're trying to sell it as a finished product.

the one i read about years ago could actually reach into the dryer to pick them up so this is a step down imo :colbert:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

Jabor posted:

i wonder if a company could issue a press release that was 100% truthful with the facts, but phrased things in such a way that all the analysis bots would guess wrong

(the answer is almost certainly "yes", but since you'd be loving with rich people's money it probably wouldn't end well for you)

p sure any bot that isn't doing sub-millisecond poo poo is actually just a pajeet

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

True AI, like the singularity, is one of those things that's RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER GUYS, PREPARE YOURSELVES.

[RON HOWARD VOICE] it's not coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ryde posted:

I'd love to know what points Musk thinks Zuckerberg doesn't understand about AI. If I were a betting man, I'd wager Zuck understood the reality of the situation better.

nobody actually knows poo poo about ai because all they're doing is the same dumb heuristic models from like the 70s/neural nets from the 80s just with more data and faster processors