Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

I've used this one: Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GzfOBb5DRGDB6 in a commercial bakery enviroment and it never had any problems vs the OXO one that the other part of the kitchen used that we went through about 3 or 4 of them in the time I was there.

baquerd posted:

This has been very solid and accurate for me. The bakers math mode hasn't been used because I tend to precalculate the grams.

Yeah, mine's like 8 years old of near-daily use and I've never had a problem with it. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've been using mine for six five? years and it's still dead on. It can be calibrated if need be, but mine has seen serious use and there are no problems. Batteries last forever, but the AC adapter is well worth the money just so it stays on.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 18, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also, it’s pretty rugged. My kid loved carrying it around and weighing things when she was growing up, and the scale got dropped quite a few times.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, having worked in kitchens I can confirm that is the One True Scale.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Nthing the baker's one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thumposaurus posted:

I've used this one: Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_GzfOBb5DRGDB6 in a commercial bakery enviroment and it never had any problems vs the OXO one that the other part of the kitchen used that we went through about 3 or 4 of them in the time I was there.
Another vote for this. Got one years ago based on the GWS hivemind recommendation. No complaints.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

Another vote for the MyWeigh scale. Definitely recommend getting the A/C adapter for it as well. The link to that is here; it specifies the MyWeigh 7000 but I can confirm it works for the 8000.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

So for the three people who don't have a rice cooker, Amazon's deal of the day includes this Zojirushi model:

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-TSC10-Uncooked-Cooker-1-0-Liter/dp/B0074CDG6C

It's not the best Zojirushi on the market (it's not an induction heater) but it's a sure loving sight better than my current method of "gently caress gently caress gently caress why did I use that saucepan for something else now what am I going to cook my rice in"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Honestly if that's your big goal, you could just get a smaller $15 one. I use mine for brown rice, quinoa, and rice pilaf, and it's great. It also takes up minimal space and, obviously, costs $15 rather than $125. I've had it for about 10 years now. Zojirushis make sense in some situations, but not if your only goal is not wanting to use a pot or take up a burner.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to wonder why we need computers in our refrigerators.

Because it's cheaper.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly if that's your big goal, you could just get a smaller $15 one. I use mine for brown rice, quinoa, and rice pilaf, and it's great. It also takes up minimal space and, obviously, costs $15 rather than $125. I've had it for about 10 years now. Zojirushis make sense in some situations, but not if your only goal is not wanting to use a pot or take up a burner.
Fully agreed, but I just got paid and miss my really good rice cooker I had back in like 2009.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It still has the fuzzy, I'm happy with that zoji

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m glad somebody asked about kitchen scales cuz I was gonna ask about those too.

I just ordered that MyWeigh. Thanks for the recs! :D

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm looking to get into the more scientific aspects of baking and I'm wondering if there's a compendium that covers basically everything in one book, or if people have multiple resources that cover these topics.

Breads, cookies, cakes, etc. I have always loved baking but have only started pushing more into the scientific/special technique aspect of it recently.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm looking to get into the more scientific aspects of baking and I'm wondering if there's a compendium that covers basically everything in one book, or if people have multiple resources that cover these topics.

Breads, cookies, cakes, etc. I have always loved baking but have only started pushing more into the scientific/special technique aspect of it recently.

It's all spread out. Modernist Bread is a good start, but you'll have to go down the rabbit hole. I have a few PDFs that you'll find helpful - are you on the discord?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There’s a discord?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Whenever I think of science and cooking, which includes baking, I first think of Good Eats, one of my favorite shows. There are also books that cover the content of the show, from recipes to the science and history of the various food topics.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Should I bother getting calibration weights for that My Weigh scale? I’m about to get the AC adapter and I’m wondering if I should add a weight or two to my tab while I’m at it (guessing no, but I wanna be sure).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
edit n/m

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 21, 2018

anthropogentric
Sep 7, 2000

Forum Veteran
I have both the 8000 and the Osteri one posted a while ago, and both work great.

The Osteri works for everything you could possibly need, and unless you need more than 5 kg or really like the big one, I wouldn't bother upgrading to the KDS8000.

The KDS8000 does work great weighing a baby with the plastic lid from a half sheet pan with a towel in it, if anybody's curious.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Need some advice regarding a carbon steel wok I bought. It comes with a lacquer coating to stop rusting, which I need to remove for seasoning. Apparently scrubbing the wok with hot water and soap should get rid of it, and the instructions say the wok should 'feel rough' when the coating is gone.

How I know when the coating is gone? Metal doesn't feel rough. The googles say it should start developping rust once it's gone; it hasn't. Apparently some lacquer is quite tough, and acetone or thinner may help dissolve it; it hasn't. It still looks polished silver colour.

Any tips? Supposedly seasoning with the lacquer still on is not recommended. Should I just go for it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m not recommending this but you could remove birds from your home and put it in a bitchin hot oven for a while. Alternatively do it on a grill. Might volatilize it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lawnie posted:

I’m not recommending this but you could remove birds from your home and put it in a bitchin hot oven for a while. Alternatively do it on a grill. Might volatilize it.

it really depends on what was actually used to coat it - lacquer is sort of a generic term

some of them are highly toxic or flammable and definitely not things you'd want to inhale either (although I'm assuming nobody would actually use those as protective coat for cookware), others don't combust until 2000+F which is going to be difficult to achieve on a stovetop

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
What could go wrong if I put the wok in the oven's self-cleaning cycle? Would the lacquer just either volatilized or not? Or... ?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whats the handle material?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
The handle is not oven-friendly, but it is removable.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Previously I've used Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF) to get off the coating on a carbon steel pan. Maybe you can try it on a bit of it first, see if you can get what you want off. BKF is acidic (oxalic acid), so you probably want to strip the coating, then do a thorough cleaning, then proceed to seasoning. When I did it to the carbon steel pan I had it started to rust under the water, I wasn't sure if that was the BKF or just reactivity of the carbon steel.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

what piping tips/bags do y'all recommend?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use Wilton tips, and zip lock bags.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I got these http://a.co/d/7DwminY

I just wish there was a big tip. Like the kind you can fill a deviled egg with without going around in circles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Boy these look comfortable

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

Boy these look comfortable

Look like 1 dollar items from the kitchenwares section of an Asian grocer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Who makes a good 14” non-stick pan? My housemate moved out with his, which was some random Chinese unlabeled thing that nonetheless got hot and wiped clean, and I’m missing the surface area. Should I just grab a random one and dispose of it when the handle starts to wobble?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cuisinart seems like a reasonably trusted brand and $26 is cheap enough that you can toss it in a few years if it starts to flake

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-62...+14%22+nonstick

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, $80 shipped to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn’t have it. I’ll poke around!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

In the US stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls have some good quality stuff for really reasonable prices. I get a lot of cooking supplies from stores like those because stuff that's "off season" will be marked down sometimes 30-50%.

I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and they were selling almost exactly the same cake pans but for three times the price of TJ Maxx.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Canadian tire has cheap T-Fal pans I use when I need non-stick. I find them pretty good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tfal is probably the best of the less expensive brands but they have 2 tiers of quality, a thicker one with riveted handle, and a thinner one with some other handle that will loosen after a few weeks.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Looks like Bed Bath and Beyond has the same Cuisinart one for $32.99 CAD. Might order one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

wormil posted:

Tfal is probably the best of the less expensive brands but they have 2 tiers of quality, a thicker one with riveted handle, and a thinner one with some other handle that will loosen after a few weeks.

This. Also the price differential between the two is negligible when you realize what poo poo the screwed on handle is.