Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well yeah but the only people who get motivated to watch something because of dumb drama like that is hyper aggressive faux alpha douchebags and they are also the people no school wants to have to train. Like, do you really want to roll with the guy who gets into page long fights about honor on instagram?

Would rather roll with someone who tries than someone who doesn't. That's how you get better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I dont think it has anything to do with trying

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, everyone I have ever known who does BJJ including every dude at my gym is super chill and I figure its because we all have a constant source of channeling our aggression but man

I do BJJ because I enjoy it as a sport and the social aspect and don't care about it as a means to 'channel aggression.'

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think grappling having chill people is more because people with fragile egos don't survive the first year or so of being helpless and getting your rear end kicked

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Neon Belly posted:

don't care about it as a means to 'channel aggression.'

You are misinterepretting my point. I am not saying you do it TO channel aggression just that it does.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I'm too tired after class to consider being aggressive against anything but a large plate of pasta.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

butros posted:

I'm too tired after class to consider being aggressive against anything but a large plate of pasta.

There's an acai bowl place next door and they make a killing after our classes

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol Danaher caught in a tshirt

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's an acai bowl place next door and they make a killing after our classes

10th Planet San Diego has one down the street from them (San Diego Blenders) that made the best bowl I have ever had.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lolling hard at John in a t-shirt. In almost 13 years I cant recall ever seeing him in one before. Check out Gordon's Instagram story. Best thing is, John had a rashguard on but that's his street rashguard and he didn't have a training rashguard so had to use a t shirt. John always switches from street rashguard to training ones to train.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

Best thing is, John had a rashguard on but that's his street rashguard and he didn't have a training rashguard so had to use a t shirt. John always switches from street rashguard to training ones to train.
I wouldn't be surprised if he has rashguards for all occasions in life.

That is the type of high level insight that I love about this thread.

I also need more rashguards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

put in a link you fools

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/...-gracie-history

Interesting long form article about the history of Judo and Jiu Jitsu

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

Lolling hard at John in a t-shirt. In almost 13 years I cant recall ever seeing him in one before. Check out Gordon's Instagram story. Best thing is, John had a rashguard on but that's his street rashguard and he didn't have a training rashguard so had to use a t shirt. John always switches from street rashguard to training ones to train.

lmao street rashguard

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone trained anywhere in Munich by chance?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

put in a link you fools

https://i.imgur.com/0QMqzOH.jpg

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Yuns posted:

...but why

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The New Yorker posted:

I like to have my room arranged in such a way that the first and last thing I see every day—when I wake in the morning, when I go to sleep at night—are my blades next to me. They’re a daily reminder of what we do.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Guys I'm starting to think that Danaher, while a very nice man, may not be all right in the head.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait, seriously, why does he wear street rashguards?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

He explained it when he was on JRE. The tl;dr is that he gets them for free and that they're logically the most efficient possible garment known to man.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

For years Danaher has been known to always wear a rashguard. Not just while training, but while in his day to day life as well. Ages ago I heard he wore on to a wedding once.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
What's Danaher's username because he is definitely a goon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, if you are gonna be obsessive about something to the point of social ostracization you could do worse than it being "kicking rear end"

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it's fine to admire danahers teachings (on mute and 1.5x speed) while still considering him a huge dweeb. death of the author & all that

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

He explained it when he was on JRE. The tl;dr is that he gets them for free and that they're logically the most efficient possible garment known to man.

He sounds like Dr. Venture wrt speedsuits.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please photoshop Johns head on Rusty's body then give him a print out of it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Idk how to tell you this but tremendous wierdos drive civilization forward.

What does danaher do in winter though?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Xguard86 posted:

probably stays warm with hookers

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Scuba gear

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CommonShore posted:

Also

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/9/...-gracie-history

Interesting long form article about the history of Judo and Jiu Jitsu

I enjoyed this. Not really sure it matters too much how you brand things though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Xguard86 posted:

Rashguard even in winter. He does wear a outer jacket over it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Did anyone else ever have a period as a white belt where they felt like learning more made them worse? I feel literally like I am doing worse than I was 2 months ago and I feel like its because I now know what I should be doing and I am trying to do it and failing instead of just flailing about and hoping for the best

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone else ever have a period as a white belt where they felt like learning more made them worse? I feel literally like I am doing worse than I was 2 months ago and I feel like its because I now know what I should be doing and I am trying to do it and failing instead of just flailing about and hoping for the best

This should probably go in the OP

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As always, roll someone who comes in for their first session and really see how far you've come (and hope you didn't get the guy who was like an all American in wrestling or something).

You're doing better all the time. Trust me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

As always, roll someone who comes in for their first session and really see how far you've come (and hope you didn't get the guy who was like an all American in wrestling or something).

You're doing better all the time. Trust me.

Words to live by: Unless otherwise proven in a roll or in competition, the white belt across from you has his Judo Black Belt or is an All American wrestler. Treat accordingly.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

lmfao I love him

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Dunning-Kruger reference above is relevant. This is also appropriate, except the part that most people miss with the (un)conscious (in)competence model is that it's more like a neverending spiral through four quadrants instead of a straight line towards perfection.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And when you realize it's a plateau model, in which your competence makes uneven gains, and your ability to self-evaluate makes uneven gains, it becomes a crazy zig-zag of increases.

And when you realize that your only way of measuring your competence is against your partners, and they're on their own crazy zig zags of uneven progress...

It essentially becomes some crazy self-reflective version of planetary retrograde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

iirc he wears it in the winter too (with no coat). His reasoning being that Napoelon's army survived one of the harshest Russian winters so a regular NY winter is nothing