Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Retro vs. Modern @ September 21th 21:00 PT / September 22th 15:00 AET
  • EU Retro vs. Modern @ September 22th 16:00 CET
  • JP Tsubuan vs. Koshian @ September 23th 15:00 JT
All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

This Splatfest beans a lot to Japan. :downsrim:

:siren: Splatfest changes :siren:

With the arrival of Version 4, Splatfest has gone through a drastic reworking. Solo and Teams have been changed to Normal and Pro, you don't need to have a full roster to play with friends, and the final result will no longer be counted from wins, but from all the "clout" players gathered during play. (Clout is basically a re-purposed Splatfest Power meter.) The side with the most "clout" wins. You can read more about the changes from the official blog post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

• JP Tsubuan vs. Koshian @ September 23th 15:00 JT

This Splatfest beans a lot to Japan. :downsrim:

FYI "Tsubuan vs. Koshian" is literally "pulp vs. no pulp" but beans.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The US Splatfest art is alright
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1042458416155906049?s=19

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pearl may look like some steampunk doofus, but it's way better than whatever Marina's got. Team Retro. Dark Souls Network test is gonna be battling for my time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a bit surprised there is talk of final updates already given this game is still in the top 5 sales in Japan. That's crazy staying power.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

I'm a bit surprised there is talk of final updates already given this game is still in the top 5 sales in Japan. That's crazy staying power.

Didn’t they extend planned updates before? I wouldn’t be surprised if they do so again. Just give us Urchin Underpass before pulling the plug.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Owers posted:

I wonder if this is the shrine where they keep the splatfest fax machine.

The...what now?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

BrightWing posted:

The...what now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrightWing posted:

The...what now?

The splatfest topics come out of a fax machine. That's what the thing on the video screen is when they do the annoucement.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

BrightWing posted:

The...what now?
Lore Alert: Inklings seem to worship a fax machine, and its divine messages are interpreted as splatfest themes. I can't recall where I've read this, it might have been a developer interview, but the messages it prints out are probably just the vestiges of humanity.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Pearl may look like some steampunk doofus, but it's way better than whatever Marina's got.
Marina is apparently dressed as a Sandman from Logan’s Run. Had I seen this earlier I might have gone Modern, but:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh I finally got around to Splatoon 2 despite owning it for a decent amount of time.

I gotta ask: How do I become a moister squid kid. My gun says Dry but I already hit level 4 and bought some gucci poo poo i dunno what else I need to achieve moist,

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

widespread posted:

So uh I finally got around to Splatoon 2 despite owning it for a decent amount of time.

I gotta ask: How do I become a moister squid kid. My gun says Dry but I already hit level 4 and bought some gucci poo poo i dunno what else I need to achieve moist,

Fresh! Goes up when you win matches, down when you lose.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

less than three posted:

Goes up when you win matches, down when you lose.

Oh, that explains it.

Also gently caress, Moray Towers. Is that Roller ideal or am I just a bad kid.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If you're just starting splats, you're probably just a bad squid, not as used to the maps and weapons as the people you are playing.

That said, it's not bad news. It's a great time for you to test whatever weapon tickles your fancy until you find the weapon/weapons you are most comfortable with, and then slowly master it/them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The band coming in 4.1.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1042701023964327936

quote:

Post-Squid Octo Era newcomers – SashiMori. Originally a loud rock band, after temporarily breaking up and abandoning their violent vocals, the three members Koi, Moray and Scaly Foot reformed, this time with the addition of a 10-year-old octopus boy genius DJ – a unique band of the new era.

And 2 of the songs we're getting.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1042702236575457281

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I went modern because I'd rather look like I'm wearing Outlier or Acronym than a top hat with gears glued to it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The new starfish redesign is pretty great

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

In Training posted:

The new starfish redesign is pretty great

Agreed. The pit of death was awful to defend in Clam Blitz. Now the map flows a lot better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This may be the best game of Splatoon I've ever played in my life :woomy:

I've only played about 30 matches since the paid online, and there's definitely still laggy rooms BUT the biggest difference so far is that I have yet to see even a single disconnect which is totally wild. I'd usually average at least once per play session before the changeover.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't been able to play Salmon Run since the changes, I'll have to dive in this weekend if it's open during splatfest.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Ugh, it is painful being in several Rainmaker matches in a row where the squidiot with the rainmaker just fucks around or even goes backward instead of even trying to push.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

In Training posted:

This may be the best game of Splatoon I've ever played in my life :woomy:

I've only played about 30 matches since the paid online, and there's definitely still laggy rooms BUT the biggest difference so far is that I have yet to see even a single disconnect which is totally wild. I'd usually average at least once per play session before the changeover.

There are no improvement to how Splatoon 2 plays online. It's a paywall to the same old service. The quality of a person's connection (in the United States especially) is going to be more dependent on what's available to them locally more than their financial circumstances. The whole thing might get a facelift though since "enthusiasts" should make up a larger percentage of the playerbase and they are more likely to have ethernet adapters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kidfresca posted:

There are no improvement to how Splatoon 2 plays online. It's a paywall to the same old service. The quality of a person's connection (in the United States especially) is going to be more dependent on what's available to them locally more than their financial circumstances. The whole thing might get a facelift though since "enthusiasts" should make up a larger percentage of the playerbase and they are more likely to have ethernet adapters.

I know this, I just assume since you have to pay to play online that's making people mentally second guess themselves and trying to actually connect to a network that will let them play in a stable condition. Filtering out all the morons on hotel WiFi tier connections.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The free market fixed Splatoon lag

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Roadie posted:

Ugh, it is painful being in several Rainmaker matches in a row where the squidiot with the rainmaker just fucks around or even goes backward instead of even trying to push.

I'm not this bad, but I did recently start ranked (B's to B+'s for now), and I can do this sort of thing before I know a map. The maps are modified versions of the Turf War versions so before you know the shortcuts that were built in, this is what happens. Unfortunately I tend to figure out the alternate routes by seeing opponents use them whenever they end up attacking. Isn't there a way to check out a map before hand? I should probably start doing that.

Tri-slosher Nouveau is working wonderfully in ranked mode though. It's a beautiful little power house of a weapon and I'm consistently taking out a squid or two at a time. I've also gotten way better with Splat bombs. It's a pity that the Rain Storm special is only OK, Ink armor would be more useful, but I don't find the bombs on the Tri-Slosher classic that effective, because I suck with them.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Isn't there a way to check out a map before hand? I should probably start doing that.

Yes. You can scout maps beforehand in the lobby by pressing Y on the selected mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1043066640194105344

Next Shifty Station will have the bounce pads.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

In Training posted:

I know this, I just assume since you have to pay to play online that's making people mentally second guess themselves and trying to actually connect to a network that will let them play in a stable condition. Filtering out all the morons on hotel WiFi tier connections.

Sorry about that then. I had seen several instances in other places of people expressing disbelief that the online play hadn't come with improvements alongside the pay wall.

Also, all of those morons with hotel WiFi-tier connections spent $60 on the game already, so the choice for them is probably more correctly characterized as a choice between throwing $20 away on a featureless subscription or abandoning a $60 purchase. Fortnite not needing the subscription might be a bigger factor in cleaning up the average connection in Splatoon 2 than the paywall itself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I spoke too soon

http://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1043187176521908225

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Inkopolis square? Inkpacketloss square more like.

:dadjoke:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

For future reference you can run away from those and they'll fly to you on the delay.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

For future reference you can run away from those and they'll fly to you on the delay.

I know but when I saw how bad the lag was in this match I wanted to make a funny clip :woomy: there were 3 disconnects before it leveled out

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Anybody else think the disconnects have actually gotten worse since we started paying :10bux::10bux:?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randumb Thots posted:

Anybody else think the disconnects have actually gotten worse since we started paying :10bux::10bux:?

No different in my experience: regular but infrequent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No, any changes you perceive are gonna be psychological or just luck based. It's the same peer to peer gamble it's always been, I just think the people who stick around to pay may, may be slightly more attentive to their home network stability if they're gonna keep playing this game 15 months after it came out.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Until the free trial week ends, i'd imagine any differences at all would be negligible.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Sometimes, the game is kind.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1043322244380774400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Splatfest has started!

Synergy bonuses increases the amount of Clout you get, and the more things your team has in common, the faster you rank up as well.

Here's a list of titles. You can use this to coordinate setups with your team.