Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

2 questions

1) Is there a way to stop apps from being able to take over as the "current app"? Like, say I launch an app and then tab into Safari. I don't want that app I just launched to pop up and take over my keyboard functions when it finally opens. It's really god drat loving annoying.

2) Is it suppose to take "forever" to bring my 2018 MacBook Pro up from sleep mode? I've never timed it or anything but there is a very noticeable delay from when I open my laptop up and when the screen actually turns on and lets me touchID in. Compared to every other computer I've ever used where the screen turns on just about instantaneously when I hit the keyboard it's really noticeable. I feel like a $1500 laptop shouldn't be like this. I am on High Sierra.

Yeah my 2016 was always slower to wake than my MBA was. I never could figure out why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah my 2016 takes a while to wake. Specially for the wifi antenna to turn on. My 2006 MacBook turns on and connects instantaneously. Snow Leopard >*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had the same issue! I never could figure it out considering it basically only ran a browser, Microsoft office, and steam so it shouldn't have been some rogue program(s) doing it, but I was able to fix it by doing a fresh install which was always annoying.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toast Museum posted:

My understanding of how Macs and AD interact is pretty fuzzy, but that seems like a good fit for Jamf.

Tangential: is it Jamf or JAMF? I'm pretty sure I've seen both in their own content.

I dunno, I find that we've reached a point where actually joining the Mac to AD is very stable.

And Jamf is probably the best example of an amazing product with a completely lovely name.

edit: except people blitzing through the keychain password update prompt when they change their AD password.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

AlternateAccount posted:

except people blitzing through the keychain password update prompt when they change their AD password.

This is the main issue I've seen, but I didn't have a hand in the administration of the computers in question, so I'm unfamiliar with the challenges there.

A related question that I'll probably ask over in the Windows threads too: is there an agreed-upon best practice for hostnames on dual-boot devices? Better to use a different name for each of a device's OSes or to keep one name per device across OSes? If it affects the answer, the computers I'm managing aren't currently joined to a domain, but I'd like them to be eventually.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Alsoft has updated their High Sierra page..

quote:

• What's in the works

The next major release of DiskWarrior will include the ability to rebuild APFS disks. Apple has just released the APFS format documentation. Our developers are now using that documentation to update DiskWarrior to be able to safely rebuild APFS disks.

(Emphasis mine..)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toast Museum posted:

This is the main issue I've seen, but I didn't have a hand in the administration of the computers in question, so I'm unfamiliar with the challenges there.

When you log in, MacOS passes your password over to the login Keychain. If the passwords are the same, everything unlocks and everyone's happy. When you change your password, obviously it won't unlock Keychain, so it throws up a prompt to give you the option to unlock Keychain and then update the password to match your new one. The trick is that you have to use your OLD password, and people just can't seem to figure it out.
By the time they contact someone for help, they don't even remember their old password, so you just end up having to nuke their Keychain and have it build them a new one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

A related question that I'll probably ask over in the Windows threads too: is there an agreed-upon best practice for hostnames on dual-boot devices? Better to use a different name for each of a device's OSes or to keep one name per device across OSes? If it affects the answer, the computers I'm managing aren't currently joined to a domain, but I'd like them to be eventually.

I start thinking about AD and DNS and start thinking this would be a bad idea (same hostname for both). I'm not sure what your conventions are for naming, but some places do the serial number straight up, so that could be tricky. Otherwise, denoting something like BLDG-Room-Mac vs. BLDG-Room-PC would probably suffice.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Still no Mojave Golden Master.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Sorry, I meant that I wasn't privy to the non-client-facing issues surrounding macOS and AD. I'd see Macs fall off the domain occasionally, but I wasn't in a position to investigate and chalked it up to Deep Freeze complicating things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Still no Mojave Golden Master.

Yeah shouldn’t that be dropping soon? Really want my Dark mode.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dank mode

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

AlternateAccount posted:

I dunno, I find that we've reached a point where actually joining the Mac to AD is very stable.

And Jamf is probably the best example of an amazing product with a completely lovely name.

edit: except people blitzing through the keychain password update prompt when they change their AD password.

Every time I see “JAMF” all I hear is “Jive rear end Motha Fucka”

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dick Nipples posted:

That's apparently also in use by the company, at least unofficially.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dick Nipples posted:

Welp, I love the name now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

codo27 posted:

I have a mac mini here thats running 10.8.5. We use it to bootcamp into Windows to run a proprietary software. Dont know why they didn't just get small form factor PCs. Anyway, I want to update the thing to high sierra, but cant. I made an apple ID, tells me it hasn't been used with the app store and to review my info. I added a billing address and selected no payment info, still wont advance. Then it tells me I need to update macos to change the info! Yay apple! So I'm stuck in eternal limbo. gently caress it, I'll just try and update the Windows install. Get a hard disk failing message. So I figure this is my chance to clean install high sierra. But it looks like the only way to do that is to download it from the store first, which I cant do? I also had planned to wipe the bootcamp install and do W10 but when I put the ISO in there it tells me it only accepts W7 or above. So I was also hoping that updating the OS would make it recognize the newer ISO or is that impossible too?

You can do an Internet Recovery install, which does not require an Apple ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

(The two choices where you hold down the Option key are what initiates Internet Recovery.)

The hard disk failing message is a serious concern. Probably means macOS read a SMART status code indicating the drive is not healthy. If you need to replace the disk, one of the cool things about Internet Recovery is that it can install an OS starting from a completely blank disk.

Speaking of, if the mini’s too old (might be, given that it’s at 10.8.5), its firmware might not support Internet Recovery. I think the breakdown was that all 2012 and later Macs support it out of the box, 2011s either support it OOTB or can have their firmware updated, and 2010 and earlier are hosed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Yo I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti - an EVGA Superclocked Black Turbo whatever the gently caress appeals to basement dwellers edition.

As far as I can tell from the EK Waterblocks configurator, it's a reference design card, but if it isn't, how terrible are the nVidia web drivers gonna be? Nobody at MacRumors seems to have tried non-reference PCBs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

EVGA is pretty much a good sign of quality- I still have a couple of their GTX680 Mac Editions and a few B-tier (refurbished, by them) 770s that still work from day one, you should be fine.

If you really wanted to go whole hog you could always send it to MacVidCards to get an EFI ROM mod.. looks like he has done
1080Ti-s before, so this one shouldn't be a stretch.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Housh posted:

Yeah my 2016 takes a while to wake. Specially for the wifi antenna to turn on. My 2006 MacBook turns on and connects instantaneously. Snow Leopard >*

"macOS and Mac Software: Just install Snow Leopard"

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BobHoward posted:

You can do an Internet Recovery install, which does not require an Apple ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

(The two choices where you hold down the Option key are what initiates Internet Recovery.)

The hard disk failing message is a serious concern. Probably means macOS read a SMART status code indicating the drive is not healthy. If you need to replace the disk, one of the cool things about Internet Recovery is that it can install an OS starting from a completely blank disk.

Speaking of, if the mini’s too old (might be, given that it’s at 10.8.5), its firmware might not support Internet Recovery. I think the breakdown was that all 2012 and later Macs support it out of the box, 2011s either support it OOTB or can have their firmware updated, and 2010 and earlier are hosed.

It looks like the 2010 Mac mini can run Internet Recovery with a firmware upgrade, but it won't work here because 10.12.4 hasn't been installed (this is where it was first introduced). codo27 will need to make (or get someone to make) a bootable macOS installer. According to this it can run High Sierra, but not Mojave.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Welp, I know what I’m reading on my Friday night.

https://developer.apple.com/support/apple-file-system/Apple-File-System-Reference.pdf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There’s a pdf for hfs+ but I don’t have it on my phone

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn/tn1150.html

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I’ve read the HFS+ reference.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Theophany posted:

Yo I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1080Ti - an EVGA Superclocked Black Turbo whatever the gently caress appeals to basement dwellers edition.

As far as I can tell from the EK Waterblocks configurator, it's a reference design card, but if it isn't, how terrible are the nVidia web drivers gonna be? Nobody at MacRumors seems to have tried non-reference PCBs.

You don’t just install the drivers. I’m a little out of date on this but last I heard you had to disable SIP and patch a kernel extension or two to get Nvidia cards working. (Maybe that was just for eGPUs)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah shouldn’t that be dropping soon? Really want my Dark mode.

It's got to be real soon, X-Code just updated for Mojave (and new iOS/tvOS/watchOS).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Evis posted:

You don’t just install the drivers. I’m a little out of date on this but last I heard you had to disable SIP and patch a kernel extension or two to get Nvidia cards working. (Maybe that was just for eGPUs)

I just reinstalled the OS on my Mac Pro a couple weeks ago with an nVidia card and it was pretty easy. Plug in the card, no graphics. Remote into the machine with VNC or Remote Desktop and install nVidia web drivers. Reboot machine, card works fine.

You'll need to do that dance every OS update but nVidia has drivers next day usually.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh I guess it is just for eGPU then

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Proteus Jones posted:

It's got to be real soon, X-Code just updated for Mojave (and new iOS/tvOS/watchOS).

Release date was announced as Monday the 24th at the keynote. The last public beta build (released last week) was 18A389 and it dropped the letter postfix. That's most likely the GM at this point.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

EVGA is pretty much a good sign of quality- I still have a couple of their GTX680 Mac Editions and a few B-tier (refurbished, by them) 770s that still work from day one, you should be fine.

If you really wanted to go whole hog you could always send it to MacVidCards to get an EFI ROM mod.. looks like he has done
1080Ti-s before, so this one shouldn't be a stretch.

That's reassuring! Based on MVC's customer service track record I'm staying well clear. I have a GT120 for boot screen duties.

Evis posted:

Already on a 980 Ti, so it should just be a cold swap!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else ever have a pain in the rear end time installing a Brother printer and having it work reliably?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

tuyop posted:

Anyone else ever have a pain in the rear end time installing a Brother printer and having it work reliably?
They addressed that issue on the latest models. I know with the other ones the only way I could get the printers to wake from deep sleep reliably was to wire the printer to the router through Ethernet.

I have a new model brother from this year and it works perfectly. I can AirPrint from deep sleep mode.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Theophany posted:

Already on a 980 Ti, so it should just be a cold swap!

Yeah I was wrong, and thinking about the process for installing an eGPU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What should I be excited the most about Mojave again? Mojava Monday is coming.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

What should I be excited the most about Mojave again?
Ummm.

Hm.

New wallpapers? Forcing developers to migrate to Metal because OpenGL support is deprecated?

That's all I've got.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dark mode

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wasn't the new Safari update supposed to show website ico in the tabs? Looks the same to me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Housh posted:

Wasn't the new Safari update supposed to show website ico in the tabs? Looks the same to me.

You have to turn them on in settings

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Last Chance posted:

awww yeah!! this is sweet. can't wait for dank mode Monday now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Is this a Safari 12 thing? I couldn't find it right now, but I'm still on High Sierra.