Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Just got back from Sweden, where an attempt to summit its highest mountain, Kebnekaise (6,886 ft), was thwarted by 50mph winds with 100mph gusts. Every so often, the glacial streams running down the walls of the cirque would start flowing sideways and you knew you had about 5 seconds to get on the ground or risk getting blown off a narrow trail with high exposure.

Climb mountains, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Val Helmethead posted:

I was sure Florida's was going to be a landfill. Palm Beach County's high point certainly is (jokingly referred to as Mt Trashmore).

There's also pretty much the entire mid-west which is just "the cornfield slightly higher than the cornfields nearby."

At least SD has Black Elk Peak. Jack poo poo between here and the Appalachians though.

E. If you do Black Elk make sure to stop by Little Devil's tower on your way up for some scrambling and nice views of the peak.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Val Helmethead posted:

It's absolutely beautiful there. I don't think I've enjoyed a vacation like I've enjoyed Colorado.

I want to go back and climb Mt Massive, but I have the goal of getting the 50 state high points, so it's on to non-Colorado places.

Having done Mt Elbert though, a simple walk through the woods for PA's Mt Davis is... not exciting at all.

Do the states in alphabetical order

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do the states in alphabetical order

1st one: "Hey this is easy!"

2nd one: "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress"

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Climb mountains, y'all.

Have you seen all of the dead people all over this thread? I will pass, thanks.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

High Lord Elbow posted:

Brace yourself for Delaware - it’s just on a street somewhere. (I thought it was the landfill in Wilmington but the internet says otherwise)

Delaware native here -- it is true, the highest point (which I always thought was up near Mt Cuba Observatory; can't be arsed to look it up) isn't too impressive...maybe you could ascend it the way these guys tackled the Uxbridge Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ms Boods posted:

Delaware native here -- it is true, the highest point (which I always thought was up near Mt Cuba Observatory; can't be arsed to look it up) isn't too impressive...maybe you could ascend it the way these guys tackled the Uxbridge Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Quick question... Delaware is a real place?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Himalayan airports are no joke, bad rear end through and through.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/pakyong-airport-india/index.html

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Just got back from Sweden, where an attempt to summit its highest mountain, Kebnekaise (6,886 ft), was thwarted by 50mph winds with 100mph gusts. Every so often, the glacial streams running down the walls of the cirque would start flowing sideways and you knew you had about 5 seconds to get on the ground or risk getting blown off a narrow trail with high exposure.

Climb mountains, y'all.

Speaking of, Kebnekaise just killed a korean tourist. (wasn't able to find an English news article about it in one second of googling, but here's the article in Swedish.) It's not every day I see my country represented in murder mountain news. Still want to climb it some day though.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Gonna do something smaller and a bit closer to me for October. Now, I could just drive to the WV highpoint, but why do that when I can backpack 25 miles round trip over 2 days through the backcountry, and camp next to a waterfall?

If I don't get killed by bears / banjo enthusiasts I will post pics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Val Helmethead posted:

Gonna do something smaller and a bit closer to me for October. Now, I could just drive to the WV highpoint, but why do that when I can backpack 25 miles round trip over 2 days through the backcountry, and camp next to a waterfall?

If I don't get killed by bears / banjo enthusiasts I will post pics.

:rip: in advance

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eh its fall, bears'll all be fat and lookin' for dens.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Small mountains are perfectly capable of killing people, the tallest one on this list is only 6,288 feet tall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_on_the_Presidential_Range

Pic from my ascent of Mt. Washington this March;

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My dad is bad at life and got us lost while descending from Mt. Madison once.

I remembered there's a river that we should hit if we continue in a certain direction, which intersects the trail we used on the way up, so if we follow it downstream we'll find that bridge and get back on track....or at the very least get to the bottom more easily in the riverbed than we would in the dense woods.

There wasn't much room and my dad's fat rear end fell in the river at one point and by the time we got to the car he was freezing....but I was right and that led us back the way we needed to go.

I only realized years later how unbelievably loving dangerous that situation was. Even small mountains are no joke, if not more so because you're only planning to be out for the day so don't exactly have supplies like a tent or a sleeping bag to hunker down in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
People think I'm crazy for carrying a small pack with more water than I need, a few lighters, first aid kit, whistle, and a flashlight with fresh batteries on my day hikes.

It's a little much, but that extra couple lbs naked me sure I can last through an unexpected night.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Wasabi the J posted:

People think I'm crazy for carrying a small pack with more water than I need, a few lighters, first aid kit, whistle, and a flashlight with fresh batteries on my day hikes.

It's a little much, but that extra couple lbs naked me sure I can last through an unexpected night.

I would agree that you're crazy for carrying a flashlight instead of an actually useful headlamp.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yes I have one of those too but it keeps getting used in the garage

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

Small mountains are perfectly capable of killing people, the tallest one on this list is only 6,288 feet tall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_on_the_Presidential_Range

That is no joke.

Going to do that one next year I think, and make a sorta family reunion out of it seeing that like 6 different Connecticut family members said they want to go with me when I do it.

I almost feel like I should start a new thread but this subforum doesn't look like it gets a lot of traffic outside this one thread.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Honnold's movie is finally out https://www.nationalgeographic.com/films/free-solo/ surprised it took so long to release.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

69 MPH? Very nice!

No seriously I see Wikipedia says:

quote:

On the afternoon of April 12, 1934, the Mount Washington Observatory recorded a windspeed of 231 miles per hour (372 km/h) at the summit, the world record for most of the 20th century, and still a record for measured wind speeds not involved with a tropical cyclone.
so I guess 69 would be relatively nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There’s a hut prior to the summit you can stay at. I had the luxury of staying in “The Dungeon” which is just an emergency storm shelter with enough space for 6 bunks. The howling wind was pretty cool throughout the night. The next day was pretty pleasant and lightly breezy just completely covered in clouds with about 5ft visibility. No one could even see me mooning the cog train!

fiesty cowgirl
May 22, 2009
The first time I did Washington there was very little visibility and winds up to 75. People were struggling to even find the observatory. (After it started to clear up)
The next year I did the presidential traverse as a day hike and it was absolutely perfect weather.

Also, I said I hike Mt Elbert a few weeks ago, I found out a week after hiking it that I had broken my big toe pretty bad playing racquetball a few days prior to the hike. (I thought I had just stubbed it bad). So now I think I’m cool and my family thinks I’m an idiot for doing it anyways.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Noticed this today, it's pretty neato: BBC: Pipes, monks and glaciers: Climbing Everest, 1920s-style

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
e: wrong thread

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

There's a link in there to a bbc article about the story of green boots that really goes into his history, has documents and pictures, family interviews, etc. Interesting read.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The New York Times is doing a series on two men who are attempting Antarctica solo (on parallel routes). I'd put in the links if I weren't on my phone.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Maera Sior posted:

The New York Times is doing a series on two men who are attempting Antarctica solo (on parallel routes). I'd put in the links if I weren't on my phone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/sports/antarctica-ski-race.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why are they not doing this together?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

nsaP posted:

Why are they not doing this together?

Because it's a race to be the first to solo it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And we all know that Antarctica races have never gone poorly before.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Both men have made it to the South Pole, about a day apart.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So one is a great hero and the other is a big loser who cares

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maera Sior posted:

Both men have made it to the South Pole, about a day apart.

Walk clockwise around the pole and cross the International Date Line so you can go back in time and achieve victory.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I know this thread is about mountaineering, but let's face it. It's also about people decorating the earth with corpses in stupid and interesting ways. Here's an article about a frenchman setting himself adrift in a barrel:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/27/europe/barrel-atlantic-crossing-scli-intl/index.html

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe I missed it, but they never mention what food he’s taking with him, aside from two bottles of wine and a block of foie gras. The video shows some tomatoes and bananas, both of which will be rotten pretty quickly if he doesn’t eat them first, but I wish they had gotten into the details of what he’s bringing with him to survive the 3 months he suspects it will take him to literally float across the Atlantic. I also couldn’t imagine how much that barrel constantly moves around, even in still water.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Calling that thing a barrel is a bit of a stretch; he’s obviously got some solid ballast set up in there. He’s going to get his rear end rocked, but at those latitude meh. He should be mostly ok.

Food wise he’s fairly obviously got some rations. I mean this isn’t a spur of the moment thing by any mean.

Doubt he’ll make it all the way across though, ocean currents can be slow as gently caress. He did what, 15 miles so far?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Rations are one thing, especially if they’re dehydrated, but that brings another question up: how much consumable water does his craft hold?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does he have solar power? Also, he could probably collect sea water and set up a solar still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

empty baggie posted:

Rations are one thing, especially if they’re dehydrated, but that brings another question up: how much consumable water does his craft hold?

Radioisotope thermoelectric generator to distill saltwater?