Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Symptoms include rings around fingers

And visiting the trump white house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The score isn't important and is hardly notable from today's Angels game so don't check it just take my word for it but Arcia becomes the first player to ever pitch, catch, and homer in the same game. He technically hit the home run as a pitcher as the Angels gave up the DH.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good Dog posted:

The score isn't important and is hardly notable from today's Angels game so don't check it just take my word for it but Arcia becomes the first player to ever pitch, catch, and homer in the same game. He technically hit the home run as a pitcher as the Angels gave up the DH.

:smug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Good Dog posted:

Arcia becomes the first player to ever pitch, catch, and homer in the same game. He technically hit the home run as a pitcher as the Angels gave up the DH.

That's really awesome.

quote:

The score isn't important and is hardly notable from today's Angels game so don't check it just take my word for it but

Whew this though. Although this is like the only possible way for something like this to happen so you should just embrace it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

And visiting the trump white house

https://twitter.com/YahooCASports/status/880429343146749953

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Definitely makes up for Bryant presenting him with a massive loving "45" from the scoreboard.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wow how subversive

if the Dodgers win in the next two years Kershaw is going to be happy as a clam to visit the WH but until that happens I will pretend otherwise

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bregman rather dislikes the current occupant of the white house

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Don't forget that Joe Ricketts donated over a million dollars to the Trump campaign and fundraised for him during the election!

Probably every owner is a Trump supporter.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

GalacticAcid posted:

Bregman rather dislikes the current occupant of the white house

Same with McHugh, for what it's worth.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

wrong thread

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 21, 2018

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

twice!

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 21, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Just gonna port this over from gameday, it deserves a good while in the spotlight

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
E: THIS ISNT THE FOOTBALL THREAD!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Piscotty wins the local media Good Guy award for the year.
V: Please keep treating him well, Oakland.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

N: The 104-win Boston Red Sox have clinched the AL East for a franchise-record third consecutive season.

V: :wrongcity:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Pancakes posted:

N: Piscotty wins the local media Good Guy award for the year.
V: Please keep treating him well, Oakland.

He owns. Everyone liked him and wanted him to succeed when he was OPSing like .600 in May, now that he's mashing it's just awesome

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Just gonna port this over from gameday, it deserves a good while in the spotlight
Honestly that is exactly what I do when a bee flies within 10 yards of me.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lost Season posted:

N: The 104-win Boston Red Sox have clinched the AL East for a franchise-record third consecutive season.

V: :wrongcity:

Isn't Boston just a suburb of New York? Confirm/Deny

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like those rumblings about Addison Russell last year were real

https://twitter.com/kellyawallace/status/1042999700633210883?s=21

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bawfuls posted:

For once I have no desire to poo poo on the Cubs for employing this monster. Instead I'm just trying to channel as much positive healing energy as I can toward Melissa. Good for her for finding a way out and for sharing her struggle with others who may be going through the same thing.

I watched my mom trapped in a relationship like that for 15 years with a man who beat both of us daily. It was so easy for him to gaslight us into feeling like it was our fault and if we were just better we wouldn't get hurt all the time. It's a nightmare you can't wake up from and 12 years later I'm still trying to work through the trauma in therapy. Crying as I write this and hoping her kid escaped with fewer scars and can live a normal ish life since she got him out at a younger age.

Sorry for the emo dump. Hard to read something like that without it dredging poo poo up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've been staring at a blank reply box for 10 minutes trying to articulate my disgust but it's not working. Hopefully MLB and the Cubs do the right thing. And hopefully Melissa can continue to move on and heal from such a horrifying experience. :smith:

jit bull transpile posted:

Sorry for the emo dump.

Don't be. :)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
gently caress Addison Russell. I hope he never plays again. I'm not sure there would be a big line to pick him up, either, seeing as the only thing he can hit is his wife.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bawfuls posted:

This is loving terrible. Jesus.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

This is horrific. What a terrible person he is, and how courageous she is for getting out of there.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I grew up with my dad telling me stories about seeing the abuse my grandfather doled out against him and my grandmother. Cut him now, ban him from baseball.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 21, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
gently caress that guy, gently caress me for buying his shirtsey.
This season really needs to end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ChiTownEddie posted:

This season really needs to end.

Joke suggestion: burn it.

Serious suggestion: donate it. It may be tainted, but someone else needs clothing who can't afford to be picky.

alternate suggestion: cut it up and use it for rags.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

For once I have no desire to poo poo on the Cubs for employing this monster. Instead I'm just trying to channel as much positive healing energy as I can toward Melissa. Good for her for finding a way out and for sharing her struggle with others who may be going through the same thing.

I watched my mom trapped in a relationship like that for 15 years with a man who beat both of us daily. It was so easy for him to gaslight us into feeling like it was our fault and if we were just better we wouldn't get hurt all the time. It's a nightmare you can't wake up from and 12 years later I'm still trying to work through the trauma in therapy. Crying as I write this and hoping her kid escaped with fewer scars and can live a normal ish life since she got him out at a younger age.

Sorry for the emo dump. Hard to read something like that without it dredging poo poo up.

:sympathy: Thanks for sharing friend.

edit: cant figure out the sympathetic glomp emote, this will have to do

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 21, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

iospace posted:

Joke suggestion: burn it.

Serious suggestion: donate it. It may be tainted, but someone else needs clothing who can't afford to be picky.

hahaha. But yeah, it is 100% going in the donation box when I get home from work.
Also if/when the Cubs make the playoffs I'm going to have to do an Russell hit donation along with the Murphy one now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

If it's still his old number, you can just cover the name up with Heyward's. If it's his new number, say hello to your new Joe Girardi shirtsey.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ChiTownEddie posted:

hahaha. But yeah, it is 100% going in the donation box when I get home from work.
Also if/when the Cubs make the playoffs I'm going to have to do an Russell hit donation along with the Murphy one now.

RAINN is one of my go-to charities, as a reminder to the thread.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Pancakes posted:

RAINN is one of my go-to charities, as a reminder to the thread.

As a further reminder, please vote in November. In every American’s name, the current administration is siphoning funding away from domestic abuse shelters in order to pay for cages for migrant children.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-immigrant-children-detention-hhs-cuts-funds-programs-like-cancer-research-230259583.html

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Don't be sorry. It's good to get that stuff out. My Aunt was murdered by her husband many years ago. It was a high profile case because a couple cops helped cover it up for years (even made into a movie). Destroyed a family and has left emotional scars on so many people. It's amazing to see how many similarities these abuse stories have (gaslighting, blame, apologies, etc).

My Aunt also started a women's shelter in the Chicago area that is still around and thriving. They and many other local shelters do so much valuable work at a time when governments are de-funding them. If people are looking to vent in a positive way, I highly recommend donating or volunteering (many of the local shelters have drop-offs for used clothing, furniture, etc). You can even order through Amazon Smile and pick one of those shelters.

As for the Cubs, fire Russell into the sun and never look back. Starting to feel the same way about Theo because this poo poo with Russell was no secret in town. He's been trouble since his rookie year ended.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Deborah's Place is another women's shelter in Chicago. I've volunteered there, and I frankly should do that more often.

Cut Russell, but I don't have a whole lot of faith right now that the Cubs will actually do that.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Deborah's Place is another women's shelter in Chicago. I've volunteered there, and I frankly should do that more often.

Cut Russell, but I don't have a whole lot of faith right now that the Cubs will actually do that.

I never have faith that any sports team will do that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has there ever been a professional sports team that has taken a hard stance on DV?

The Jays traded their abuser but it was months later, but I understand they had to try and get something for him on the market, and internally they were already ready to get rid of him.

But there are countless teams where this has happened and they did nothing. Hell there are teams like the Cowboys who would say stupid poo poo like 'only winning matters' and straight up sign DV abusers as free agents.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

zapplez posted:

Has there ever been a professional sports team that has taken a hard stance on DV?

The Jays traded their abuser but it was months later, but I understand they had to try and get something for him on the market, and internally they were already ready to get rid of him.

But there are countless teams where this has happened and they did nothing. Hell there are teams like the Cowboys who would say stupid poo poo like 'only winning matters' and straight up sign DV abusers as free agents.

Didn’t Rothlesberger (I can’t spell, but he’s the football guy) rape a bunch of women over the years and is still on the same team? I could be wrong because I don’t watch or follow football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Miz Kriss posted:

Didn’t Rothlesberger (I can’t spell, but he’s the football guy) rape a bunch of women over the years and is still on the same team? I could be wrong because I don’t watch or follow football

yes. the charges never held up (of course) and ppl wrung themselves into knots to compartmentalize it but he is def a piece of poo poo and is indeed still the Steelers QB.

• Locked thread