Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pick posted:

I'm so proud of TAS for ensuring that the tribble episodes are a triple threat of quality.

a tribble threat? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It even has 8 times the mass of the Earth, so gravity will be stronger there. Someone with more motivation than myself can figure out weight differences.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Not just "a" star at the same distance from Earth. It's the exact star, 40 Eridani A.

Hahah fuckin' niiice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bull3964 posted:

It even has 8 times the mass of the Earth, so gravity will be stronger there. Someone with more motivation than myself can figure out weight differences.

Depends on the radius. If it's the same density as Earth it should be somewhat under 2g.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It makes things easy that surface gravity scales linearly with density and radius.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Depends on the radius. If it's the same density as Earth it should be somewhat under 2g.

Are all of the terrestrial planets we know of similar in density? I suppose nickel, iron, and various silicates aren't all that compressible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are all of the terrestrial planets we know of similar in density? I suppose nickel, iron, and various silicates aren't all that compressible.

Different compositional ratios matter a lot. I think Mars is like 70% of earth or something

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Prophet Gene was correct again! Praise unto He!

Only 45 more years...

May the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless your planet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For exoplanets we're guessing a lot so can't say. For the solar system, Mercury, Venus, and Mars are in the same ballpark, 5.2-5.5 grams per cubic centimeter. Mars is only 3.9. But as you go past the snow line you start getting worlds that are mixed rock and water ice, so Ganymede and Titan are both of similar scale to the terrestrial planets and are 1.9. Earth's moon is 3.3, its metal core is fairly small because of how it formed.

Planets are likely composed of the same materials everywhere, so ones within the snow line wouldn't be icy and the 3-5 g/cm^3 range is a reasonable estimate. But exoplanets have thrown a lot of monkey wrenches into models of planetary formation. So far our solar system is pretty weird, though it's possible that's an artifact of how we find planets. Giant planets orbiting close to their star are the easiest to detect, so it's not a huge surprise that we've found a lot of those.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The biggest problem with the planet is that it is probably tidally locked, making life a much more tricky thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peachfart posted:

The biggest problem with the planet is that it is probably tidally locked, making life a much more tricky thing.

That worked just fine for Salia and the people of Daled IV, thank you very much. :colbert:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The most logical explanation is that the humans who drew the Star Trek star charts recalled that Vulcan was said to be roughly 16 light years from Sol and selected a real star close to that distance to serve as Vulcan's star. In the purely fictional universe of Star Trek that isn't crossing over into this one, of course, Jim.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Prophet Gene was correct again! Praise unto He!

Only 45 more years...

And we're right on track for World War 3 to break out any time now. It all lines up. :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Different compositional ratios matter a lot. I think Mars is like 70% of earth or something

That makes sense. I wonder if, at 8 Earth masses, it's got a higher concentration of metals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That makes sense. I wonder if, at 8 Earth masses, it's got a higher concentration of metals.
It might, but they might be largely in the planetary core.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, that's what I meant. A larger metallic core would mean it has a higher density, therefore a smaller overall diameter than if it were similar density to Earth, and therefore higher surface gravity.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Al Borland Korn posted:

I wanna know what was his favorite episode of Boston Legal to do

Ask him about that episode of BL where they used scenes from a black&white movie from his early career for flashbacks. I don’t recall ever really seeing that done before, and it was awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, that's what I meant. A larger metallic core would mean it has a higher density, therefore a smaller overall diameter than if it were similar density to Earth, and therefore higher surface gravity.

It could. Mercury is heavy for its size because it has a huge core, it looks like it got hit and had most of its non-metallic parts blown off. That or it formed in a super weird way we don't understand.

Earth also has a relatively large core because we got most of Theia's when it slammed into us. Mars may actually be a more typical density for a terrestrial planet. We just don't have a big enough sample size to say anything concrete.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1043518113894031361?s=21

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Ask him about that episode of BL where they used scenes from a black&white movie from his early career for flashbacks. I don’t recall ever really seeing that done before, and it was awesome.

There was that episode of Tales from the Crypt that starred Humphrey Bogart 38 years after he died.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

lmao at the last one

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Everybody was Trek-fu fighting~

Thooose kids were fast as lightning~

*donk*

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I really hope Tarantino Trek gets made and that it includes rad fighting inspired by moves like this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That head scissor is honestly pretty good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best thing is the enthusiasm, boy Shatner went all-in, that poo poo would hurt!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phylodox posted:

There was that episode of Tales from the Crypt that starred Humphrey Bogart 38 years after he died.

Also known as “What if the first 20 minutes of Dark Passage was remade by idiots?”

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ask Shatner if he remembers any Esperanto from that one movie he did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Just confirmed with the theater that the screening of The Wrath of Khan that I'm going to in a few hours is the utterly gorgeous 4K restoration that came out a couple of years ago. :woop:

so jelly :mad:

Timby posted:

Nimoy wanted Meyer to hire Rosenman to score The Undiscovered Country (they were close friends), and then Meyer played the RoboCop 2 theme for him, which resulted in him allowing Meyer to license The Planets (and then hiring Eidelman to rip it off when his preferred recording, Meyer being Meyer, was too expensive).

To be fair, film scores have been ripping off "inspired by" The Planets since about ten minutes after the coupling of sound to film.

Kibayasu posted:

I repeat myself every time this comes up but ST5 is a great TV episode stretched out into a terrible movie. Imagine 60’s Shatner, Kelley, and Nimoy shooting the poo poo in the woods and climbing mountains with rocket boots, then encountering some weird guy who can charm everyone into betraying their friends, some random fan dancing from the single woman on the main cast, and cap it all off with Kirk asking the latest god he encounters what something so obviously all powerful needs with something so small like a starship. It’s literally a perfect episode of TOS.

Rip the audio from ST5 and use it for a special two-part episode of TAS

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

:bahgawd:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Challenge: find a bigger contrast in back to back episodes than Civil Defence and Meridian. One of the most fun episodes in the entire run followed by one of the most tedious and pointless.

E: and the other side is Tom Riker's fake sideburns

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 23, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tsaedje posted:

Challenge: find a bigger contrast in back to back episodes than Civil Defence and Meridian. One of the most fun episodes in the entire run followed by one of the most tedious and pointless.

E: and the other side is Tom Riker's fake sideburns

"Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" / "...Nor the Battle to the Strong" is some real whiplash.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re talking about a contrast in quality then that’s pretty good but Voyager goes from Latent Image to Bride of Chaotica. Both good episodes but The Doctor sure recovered from his mental snap pretty quickly!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Terra Prime to ...These Are the Voyages was a super hard shift from "maybe the best episode of the series" straight to "I deny this episode exists."

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Errand of Mercy - The Alternative Factor - The City on the Edge of Forever is a powerful sandwich

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

If you’re talking about a contrast in quality then that’s pretty good

fun hater spotted

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Terra Prime to ...These Are the Voyages was a super hard shift from "maybe the best episode of the series" straight to "I deny this episode exists."

Terra Prime is the series finale to Enterprise. TATV is Berman and Braga’s fanfiction ending to their Trek careers, imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s almost impressive how there isn’t a single element of TATV worth praise. Even in Enterprise’s worst episodes you can usually dig around and find something to like, but no, not TATV. It wastes Shran, it turns in the shittiest possible Riker and Troi cameos, it kills off Trip in a cheap and nonsensical way, it employs a time-jump without bothering to show any interesting character or tech growth, It sidelines the main cast in their own series finale, and then it whiffs the last loving scene of the entire series by cutting to credits before what should have been a series-defining speech.

gently caress Berman and gently caress Braga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I dunno, TATV is probably better than the Dying Dog Sex Dream episode