Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Control Origins: At Least We Haven't Killed Six Million JewsTM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teamcharlie posted:

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA, which people don't seem to be actively trying to boycott nearly as hard?

Glad to hear you've definitely played through the game and are in a position to criticize it instead of just repeating poo poo you heard. What did you think of the Trandal storyline? Did you feel bad for the Pinthi or did you agree with the Commander's judgment? What did you think of the changes to space combat and how the flagship upgrades?

</sarcasm>

Like I said, Star Control: Origins is a really good game. People are totally free to skip it if they like, but it's pretty lame to try to argue that you're skipping it because it's a bad game. It's not at all a bad game. It's really fun and well made. Whatever the suits said or did, the devs did really good work. They cared about making a game that could live up to Star Control 2, and it shows.

how many people at EA tried to murder a person via bees, the answer may surprise you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Control is hot loving garbage, playing on nostalgia by the wrong developer, who is a rapist and an attempted murderer.

You are dumb as poo poo if you come out in defense of this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Will you loving TROLLS stop flaming me and just agree that strychnine is worse than arsenic?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"And They Are Cancelling Star Wars"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also the "hilarious writing" is almost certainly extremely untrue if any of Stardock's previous attempts at humor (Hi, Sorcerer King!) are close to what's in Origins.

That screenshot about fanfiction indicates that it's the same brand of nauseatingly twee lol how random bullshit.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Tales of Berseria: I figure this thread will have more players since the game was bundled recently so two things:

1) Should I bother Mastering my equipment? Like, if I get something of a different type that is clearly better than the current one, do I keep using it to get the bonus or skip forwards? Not that I'm struggling, the game is pretty easy so far, but I'm wondering if it'll bite me in the rear end later

2) Can't I group enemies together and fight all of them at once? I've tried running around and bundling them close to another but it still goes one by one and that's a bit boring.

teamcharlie posted:

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA, which people don't seem to be actively trying to boycott nearly as hard?

Glad to hear you've definitely played through the game and are in a position to criticize it instead of just repeating poo poo you heard. What did you think of the Trandal storyline? Did you feel bad for the Pinthi or did you agree with the Commander's judgment? What did you think of the changes to space combat and how the flagship upgrades?

</sarcasm>

Like I said, Star Control: Origins is a really good game. People are totally free to skip it if they like, but it's pretty lame to try to argue that you're skipping it because it's a bad game. It's not at all a bad game. It's really fun and well made. Whatever the suits said or did, the devs did really good work. They cared about making a game that could live up to Star Control 2, and it shows.

lmao at "</sarcasm>", they're posting from 2005

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Samuringa posted:

2) Can't I group enemies together and fight all of them at once? I've tried running around and bundling them close to another but it still goes one by one and that's a bit boring.

i'm 98% certain that's dependent on the attack itself. I've definitely hit multiple people with super group attacks with ease but I don't think you're meant to easily bat around multiple mobs with your basic attacks

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I meant in the overworld, to get all of them into the same battle.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Tales of Berseria: I figure this thread will have more players since the game was bundled recently so two things:

1) Should I bother Mastering my equipment? Like, if I get something of a different type that is clearly better than the current one, do I keep using it to get the bonus or skip forwards? Not that I'm struggling, the game is pretty easy so far, but I'm wondering if it'll bite me in the rear end later

1) It's a good idea. Mastered equipment give you permanent stat boosts and every little bit helps. There's no point where there's a big difficulty spike or anything.

2) I assume you're still early, you can do that a bit later, when you get to the main continent.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

corn in the bible posted:

maybe don't be surprised at people getting a bad first impression when the first alien you meet is this

hilarity

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Also the "hilarious writing" is almost certainly extremely untrue if any of Stardock's previous attempts at humor (Hi, Sorcerer King!) are close to what's in Origins.

That screenshot about fanfiction indicates that it's the same brand of nauseatingly twee lol how random bullshit.

I watched a few videos and it seems to me that you're probably right. Star Control 2 is an incredible game with great dialogue that was funny in clever and original ways (frungy, Thraddash cultures, Umgah pranks, Spathi storyline, many many other things). What little I've seen of SC: O is like 'fat ugly nerd race', 'little lemming weak race', 'big scary bad guy race', etc. and a lot of the jokes seemed like a writer for Big Bang Theory was working on it.

Now I haven't played it so I could be wrong and there could be some very clever and original stuff in there, but it's pretty tough to get behind a piece of human excrement like Brad who is also sicking his legal hounds on the people who are directly responsible for one of the greatest games of all time. These people seem like they are standout awesome guys who continue to allow anybody who wants to play their game for free (Ur-Quan Masters, go download it now before Brad's legal team has his lawyers take it offline so he can sell it).

I'll admit I was tempted because that kind of game is completely my jam and I've been waiting for Star Control and/or Starflight successors forever, but on this one I'm going to stick with my principles and maybe give it a try when it eventually becomes bundle fodder in a few years.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Samuringa posted:

I meant in the overworld, to get all of them into the same battle.

Oh yeah i think that's a feature that shows up later

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Thanks, I'll carry on then.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

teamcharlie posted:

Aaaaand how does that respond to my point that Stardock still isn't as lovely as EA
That whataboutism doesn't really apply. EA is a lovely corporation and has shuttered a lot of good studios, forefront of lootbox gambling for kids, and so on. but that's expected in a mah profits fiduciary sort of way, it's dumb and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism yadda yadda. its also a huge faceless corporation and that stuff is reasonably excusable from mahprofits sort if way, and at least isn't actively ran by a figurehead that is extremely awful person in every non-financial-focused way insulting and harrasing people, being a massive dick to everyone, etc. had an EA executive actually done even 10% of the poo poo wardell did or says, they'd have been long fired because it would hurt their company's profits.

Look at papa johns, you had the racist ceo dropping n-bombs and being extremely lovely person and there was huge backlash. it'd be more equivalent to still buying papa johns pizza if he was left in power continuing to do that poo poo, all the while actively knowing that as a consumer and still being happy to indirectly support and give him more money just because ~i like the pizza and im a-ok with it~. they correctly realized that was going to hurt profits so he's out. wardell unfortunately is not out.

also lots of people do/did boycott ea games and look at battlefront 2 backlash.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

Tales From The Borderlands is good guys

It’s their best game by far op

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
all I know is the guys who made my GOAT game were going to make a sequel and Brad Wardell, rat that he is, is preventing them from doing it through lawfare bastard tactics. he can suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat and choke on it. don't give him money.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, what the gently caress? When did Let it Die come to steam?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crabtree posted:

The announcement was like a month ago or so I believe. It had been exclusive to PlayStation 4 for awhile now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well it's gonna hit in 4 days. Hooray for being unable to know about actual good games on steam?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I watched a few videos and it seems to me that you're probably right. Star Control 2 is an incredible game with great dialogue that was funny in clever and original ways (frungy, Thraddash cultures, Umgah pranks, Spathi storyline, many many other things). What little I've seen of SC: O is like 'fat ugly nerd race', 'little lemming weak race', 'big scary bad guy race', etc. and a lot of the jokes seemed like a writer for Big Bang Theory was working on it.

Now I haven't played it so I could be wrong and there could be some very clever and original stuff in there, but it's pretty tough to get behind a piece of human excrement like Brad who is also sicking his legal hounds on the people who are directly responsible for one of the greatest games of all time. These people seem like they are standout awesome guys who continue to allow anybody who wants to play their game for free (Ur-Quan Masters, go download it now before Brad's legal team has his lawyers take it offline so he can sell it).

I'll admit I was tempted because that kind of game is completely my jam and I've been waiting for Star Control and/or Starflight successors forever, but on this one I'm going to stick with my principles and maybe give it a try when it eventually becomes bundle fodder in a few years.

I actually went and watched a stream of SC:O and, yeah, the writing is not good. The humor is very much in the same vein as Sorcerer King where there's no attempt at jokes as much as there is just this bizarre tone where nothing is taken seriously. SC2 is a pretty funny game at times, but it treats the Ur-Quan Death March seriously. Meanwhile, in SC:O, there's this early exchange between the player and the big bad guys that was like: "Go to hell." "Is that one of your amusing human colloqualisms? Does it mean 'Yes, please come and destroy our planet and strip mine the remains of anything of value?' No? Oh well."

And the big bad guy race is like this mash-up of both Ur-Quan species. They murder every other species they come across, but also have a hierarchy of subservient thralls.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a list of which games aren’t shareable? My brother has both left 4 dead games but they don’t show up on my list.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Is there a list of which games aren’t shareable? My brother has both left 4 dead games but they don’t show up on my list.

This list seems to be up to date https://steamcommunity.com/groups/familysharing/discussions/0/540732347100354802/ , the only thing for Left 4 dead is the content pack. I find family sharing can break sometimes and have to un-authorize then re-authorize one or both computers to fix it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Crabtree posted:

Well it's gonna hit in 4 days. Hooray for being unable to know about actual good games on steam?

It's not good so you're still fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't Let It Die just become unbearably grindy the closer you get to the end?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played CrossCode for about an hour and really did not like it so I ended up refunding it. I'm sure it gets more varied but didn't like the way the combat felt and I was already sick of shooting the balls around to hit switches and could tell that was going to become a thing. I'm sure this game appeals to lots of people but I'm a bit amazed it's sitting on an "Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Doesn't Let It Die just become unbearably grindy the closer you get to the end?

It's that way from pretty much the moment you leave the tutorial sections and then gets worse.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

explosivo posted:

I played CrossCode for about an hour and really did not like it so I ended up refunding it. I'm sure it gets more varied but didn't like the way the combat felt and I was already sick of shooting the balls around to hit switches and could tell that was going to become a thing. I'm sure this game appeals to lots of people but I'm a bit amazed it's sitting on an "Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam right now.

Actually, I really like the combat. It's kinetic, has lots of room for unique actives, and the characters are pretty memorable so far. And I like puzzles, so there. :P
For the complaints about grinding, I'm not really feeling that, at least in the first big area. I mostly just pasted big groups of enemies between me and my side quests, crafted/found a full set of level 13-17 gear just off the plants/chests I hit running by/barely going out of my way exploring, and showed up grossly overleveled (level 12) to the first duel. I'm not really seeing the overly necessary grinding here.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 23, 2018

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I remember grinding a ton in secret of mana and SD3 but it could have been totally unnecessary where I just really wanted to see what all the maxed out spells and attacks looked like. Still the combat system was just so fun I didn't mind killing the same little monsters over and over. I haven't tried cross code yet but I have high hopes. To me some grinding doesn't seem out of place with my nostalgia memories.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

explosivo posted:

Please don't claim to know enough to have an opinion on a game's reviews after playing 1 hour.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Crabtree posted:

F2P Dark Souls where you have to spend money to revive your character? Hooray? :confuoot:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jagged Jim posted:

F2P Dark Souls where you have to spend money to revive your character? Hooray? :confuoot:

Well you can't say the game's name isn't on point.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh right, welp.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Samuringa posted:

You might have better luck asking in the RPG thread, but-

to memory and it's been like a year; equipment gives you skills so that's cool and unless you're in mondo difficulty the stats aren't going to be that huge, at least not within the same ballpark.

if you do a chainlink encounter then they all just drop in immediately, I think at a certain pop limit they'll run in as the fight goes on too. You might have to unlock this feature through the story, though, a lot of things are gated off for the first few hours.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, now it do hope the new EDF comes to the PC. Riho is back

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The antici

pation is killing me.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations on whether I should get Final Fantasy XV or Monster Hunter? They both look interesting and good from gameplay footage, but I only want to get one for now.

Leaning more towards Final Fantasy because it's more story based.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

get tales of berseria instead imo

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any games out there that'll scratch the same itch as Shadow of Mordor, Pokemon, and Phantom Pain, where you go out and you get high level dudes who fight with you and help your base stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

State of decay?