Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Continuity Camera should be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IUG posted:

Is this a Safari 12 thing? I couldn't find it right now, but I'm still on High Sierra.

It is a Safari 12 thing, but the update should be available on High Sierra. I'm excited about stacks personally, finally get to force clean desktops on people at work!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

I was going to comment about this being super weird, because I thought that SIP just write-protected /System. VMWare (probably Parallels too) doesn't alter /System anymore, but I looked things up and apparently KEXT signing is considered to be part of SIP too. They're still using KEXTs, they just leave them inside their application bundles, so signing is a very obvious possible reason why SIP makes a difference here.

One reason to try is this handwavy guess: maybe your current install has damaged signing data, so even when signed, third party KEXTs can't load.

Looks like a reinstall did the trick. The process wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - to used to Windows, I guess.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I had a kind of weird and, dare I say, un-Apple-y experience upgrading my iPhone 5 to an XS.

Plugged in the new phone to do a restore from iTunes backup on my MBP. Odd modal window came up, "iTunes must download an update". Uhh.. OK? I keep my poo poo updated, but w/e, I wants the new shiny to work. Hit 'Continue' on the modal window, which then disappears.

New modal, "To continue, iTunes must be closed". OK, fine. Close and continue...

[price-is-right.wav] nothing happening... OK lemme click on the iTunes icon, see if that sucker is updated!

"iTunes is updating"

After about 10 mins of nothing on-screen, I finally get to re-open iTunes and continue.

Anyone have any idea just WTF that weird update interstitial thing was?

Also, about a min after all that ^ went down, still during the phone's setup, I had to enter my MBP user account password (WTF?!) on my new XS. This after successfully logging in to my iCloud account on the phone and doing all that backup stuff. Why would my PHONE need my MBP user account's password?!

(To be clear, I'm not some paranoid weirdo adjusting his tinfoil hat, it all just seemed a bit weird)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Switzerland posted:

Also, about a min after all that ^ went down, still during the phone's setup, I had to enter my MBP user account password (WTF?!) on my new XS. This after successfully logging in to my iCloud account on the phone and doing all that backup stuff. Why would my PHONE need my MBP user account's password?!

(To be clear, I'm not some paranoid weirdo adjusting his tinfoil hat, it all just seemed a bit weird)

Do you have two-factor turned on? If not, I believe that’s the old method of validating you are in fact the owner of the iCloud account. It makes you use the password of a device already logged in to iCloud.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you have two-factor turned on? If not, I believe that’s the old method of validating you are in fact the owner of the iCloud account. It makes you use the password of a device already logged in to iCloud.

Nope, that popped up on my MBP, too. "Your iCloud account is being accessed by a different device" on my MBP, had to enter the code appearing on my MBP into the XS I was setting up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This happened to me as well, Im guessing it’s a workaround to allow an older version of iTunes talk to the iPhone’s newer usb data security thingy. They haven’t released iTunes 12.9 for macOS yet which probably won’t require that weird software update.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have another Very Apple Problem™. Every so often, for no apparent reason, my trackpad's multitouch capabilities go screwy; I can't swipe to dismiss notifications, I can't scroll the Calendar, I can't pinch/zoom in Maps. I discovered that toggling the highlighted option in Accessibility settings fixes it, but I can't figure out the easiest way to toggle the setting without going all the way through System Preferences — is this something I can do with AppleScript? Can I trigger it from Terminal somehow?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is it worth updating my 2011 iMac to High Sierra? I'm still on El Capitan but was thinking of updating, how is the performance on older Macs?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TACD posted:

I have another Very Apple Problem™. Every so often, for no apparent reason, my trackpad's multitouch capabilities go screwy; I can't swipe to dismiss notifications, I can't scroll the Calendar, I can't pinch/zoom in Maps. I discovered that toggling the highlighted option in Accessibility settings fixes it, but I can't figure out the easiest way to toggle the setting without going all the way through System Preferences — is this something I can do with AppleScript? Can I trigger it from Terminal somehow?

You could try a script like this...

code:
#!/bin/bash

defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad TrackPadScroll -bool false
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist TrackPadScroll -bool false
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad TrackPadScroll -bool true
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist TrackPadScroll -bool true

killall cfprefsd

exit 0
EDIT: Scratch that! The code writes to the PLIST correctly, but it doesn't seem to be making the UI changes (from disabled to enabled). I'm curious if just deleting the two PLISTs (in ~/Library/Preferences will sort this out.

If not, personally, I put the Accessibility icon in the menu bar (for grayscale), and that might be a quicker way than trying to hack something together with AppleScript. Otherwise, you could probably make another account (or make another account and copy all of its ~/Library/Preferences to your main account).

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MZ posted:

Is it worth updating my 2011 iMac to High Sierra? I'm still on El Capitan but was thinking of updating, how is the performance on older Macs?

I haven't noticed any slowdowns upgrading machines of that year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wonder what this guy keeps them on now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nitsuga posted:

EDIT: Scratch that! The code writes to the PLIST correctly, but it doesn't seem to be making the UI changes (from disabled to enabled). I'm curious if just deleting the two PLISTs (in ~/Library/Preferences will sort this out.

If not, personally, I put the Accessibility icon in the menu bar (for grayscale), and that might be a quicker way than trying to hack something together with AppleScript. Otherwise, you could probably make another account (or make another account and copy all of its ~/Library/Preferences to your main account).

Try killing cfprefsd first.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nitsuga posted:

You could try a script like this...

Ahh, thanks! I had a feeling there was probably a 'defaults write' that would do the same thing but I had no idea what it might be.

I'll try the script even if doesn't activate the visual toggle, since I have no idea which part is responsible for fixing the bug.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

Well we know for sure that he has to use a dongle to keep this up.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What time were the updates again? I keep forgetting and I want to get hyped for dank mode.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Housh posted:

What time were the updates again? I keep forgetting and I want to get hyped for dank mode.
Typically 10AM Pacific. I'm not even gonna bother day one and will wait until Thursday when my new MBP arrives.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

The Internet?

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Well we know for sure that he has to use a dongle to keep this up.

But yeah. It's this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TACD posted:

Have you tried deleting those preference files mentioned above and letting macOS replace them with new ones? Can clear up some trackpad issues.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Does this guy have some bizarre fantasy where the president says "the russian nuclear strike could be averted in moments if we only had a way to install Lion on this lovely old laptop!" and he whips out a money belt full of SD cards.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

withak posted:

Does this guy have some bizarre fantasy where the president says "the russian nuclear strike could be averted in moments if we only had a way to install Lion on this lovely old laptop!" and he whips out a money belt full of SD cards.

You say that but I was saved this weekend by an old El Cap installation dual layer DVD I burned years ago because my Sierra and High Sierra ones wouldn't boot. Also, my Mac doesn't boot from USB for no good reason.

So yeah, nah.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Have you tried deleting those preference files mentioned above and letting macOS replace them with new ones? Can clear up some trackpad issues.
I actually didn’t try that yet but I’ll give it a shot, thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

START YOUR DOWNLOADS, BOYS

1:00PM EASTERN TIME AND YOU CAN DOWNLOAD MOJAVE

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Twice in the past couple weeks my 2017 mbp has crashed in a way that I really don't like. I'll suddenly hear a loud crackly buzz in my headphones for a few seconds, then everything just goes black. Few seconds later it's rebooting to this:

I've received a problem report each time, but most of it's meaningless to me. What should I be looking for in it if I want to google the problem?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It’s a kernel panic.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
And if I see "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Google Chrome," can I assume Chrome is doing something it doesn't like? There's not much I can do about it - it's my work computer and we've recently migrated to google for everything.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My 2015 rMBP has been crashing during sleep a lot lately. Like half the time I open it in the morning I have to do a full boot and get a nondescript error when it comes up.

Assuming it’s the OS and not some app, I’m hoping Mojave fixes it. Should I upgrade in place, upgrade, erase them TimeMachine restore? I’d really like to avoid a full wipe, but I’m worried TM will carry the problem over.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

jackpot posted:

Twice in the past couple weeks my 2017 mbp has crashed in a way that I really don't like.

Can you do describe a crash that you like?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

jackpot posted:

And if I see "BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Google Chrome," can I assume Chrome is doing something it doesn't like? There's not much I can do about it - it's my work computer and we've recently migrated to google for everything.

Yeah but Chrome shouldn’t be able to cause a kernel panic. That indicates a macOS kernel bug, not necessarily a bug in Chrome. Diagnosing the cause of a kernel panic can be rather difficult even for kernel programmers. It could also be caused by bad ram or some other kind of hardware problem.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

START YOUR DOWNLOADS, BOYS

1:00PM EASTERN TIME AND YOU CAN DOWNLOAD MOJAVE
TIME TO GET DANK

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm torn with Mojave. I don't want to go full dark mode, but I want the dark menu bar and dock. Maybe it's time to become a High Sierra stalwart.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nitsuga posted:

I'm torn with Mojave. I don't want to go full dark mode, but I want the dark menu bar and dock. Maybe it's time to become a High Sierra stalwart.

You don't need Mojave's dark mode for that! It's already an option in General; "Use dark menu bar and Dock."

I'm basically upgrading today for Homekit integration and that's it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

enojy posted:

You don't need Mojave's dark mode for that! It's already an option in General; "Use dark menu bar and Dock."

I'm basically upgrading today for Homekit integration and that's it.

I think they drop that option though in favor of light and dark. We'll see, I'll probably toggle it and get used to light mode. Full screen apps are a better way to minimize distractions in my experience.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

It's out

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What version of Windows 10 is going to work best with Bootcamp Assistant? I just tried to install 1803 and it failed hard; to the point where BCA couldnt even roll back and I had to deal with re-partitioning my disk by hand.

Just want to be sure I teleport far enough back in time to get a successful install and then update.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I just recently used a April 2018 downloaded from Microsoft's website that I downloaded and installed just last week. Worked without a hitch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nitsuga posted:

I think they drop that option though in favor of light and dark. We'll see, I'll probably toggle it and get used to light mode. Full screen apps are a better way to minimize distractions in my experience.

Ohh, I gotcha now. Yeah, I'm not so sure I want full-blown dark mode either.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

101 posted:

It's out
It may not show up in the App Store for everyone just yet, here's a direct link to the download.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Just FYI, the App Store release (18A391) is a different build number from the GM (18A389).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For anyone so inclined, Ars Technica has their usual in-depth review up.
https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/09/macos-10-14-mojave-the-ars-technica-review/