Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the man is Bazinga! made flesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D1E posted:

LOL at the Tesla owners who post in this thread desperately correcting factual errors "actually, you only have to use the app if you don't have your key wirh you!"

I shilled for Tesla and all i got was this tesla branded anorak with a name tag on it and free supercharging for the Tesla i don’t have.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1043926959292633088?s=20

:laffo:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mind the gap

https://twitter.com/vucanthi/status/1043959972067852288

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1043962391950774273

https://twitter.com/JamesSantelli1/status/1043695814881624065

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1043898247830482948?s=20

I’m torn.
On one hand, i really should’t laugh, because people might die.
On the other, you just know it’s gonna be comedy gold.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

im depressed lol posted:

i wish i could easily go to 11/2017 of this thread easily without randomly guessing a page number

edit: oh wait lmbo this thread started in 2018.

you'll have to find an older version of the yospos tech bubble thread but believe me when i say we were ragging on him then too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't wait for people to die and Tesla to blame them for relying on the machine they paid tens of thousands of dollars for to have been made with some degree of competence.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

you'll have to find an older version of the yospos tech bubble thread but believe me when i say we were ragging on him then too

SpaceX doing a cheesy PR event probably implies another Musk mis-direction campaign for problems in the company?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

we cross into nov. 1st here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3220

don't know where we talked about that aerticle but we definitely did

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

orcinus posted:

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1043898247830482948?s=20

I’m torn.
On one hand, i really should’t laugh, because people might die.
On the other, you just know it’s gonna be comedy gold.

So we should look forward to Tesla's launching themselves off I90 sometime in the next few days when it confuses the highway name with the speed limit of the exit ramp?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

found it- the original tweet to the article has since been deleted: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3273#post478430425

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

we only dwell on it for a few posts because musk at that point was just another standard issue silicon valley galaxy-brain and hadn't begun to fully melt down yet

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Rex-Goliath posted:

we cross into nov. 1st here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3220

don't know where we talked about that aerticle but we definitely did

thank you sweetie, hope to get woke af

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Xenius101/status/1043166086781431808?s=20

Lol (author of the vid):

https://twitter.com/chrisccollins/status/1033119705412890625?s=20

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

we only dwell on it for a few posts because musk at that point was just another standard issue silicon valley galaxy-brain and hadn't begun to fully melt down yet

I'm glad he's imploding mostly self-destructively now, and not just for the schadenfreude. Like back when he had just become a media persona you didn't pay too much attention but just had this silly little hunch that, oh maybe it's pretty weird and creepy to idolize some random rich person who is purposely manipulating their public image and the surrounding cult mentality, and it was pretty defeating too see how many people lack the skepticism to spot the empty promises and PR. But then you had nothing more concrete to point at than that being a sheep is generally bad so you'd be screamed down for being a cynical rear end in a top hat who has probably never done anything to save the world, so you just kind of forgot about the whole thing until this pedo-libel stuff surfaced. Then you laugh and laugh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BioMe posted:

I'm glad he's imploding mostly self-destructively now, and not just for the schadenfreude. Like back when he had just become a media persona you didn't pay too much attention but just had this silly little hunch that, oh maybe it's pretty weird and creepy to idolize some random rich person who is purposely manipulating their public image and the surrounding cult mentality, and it was pretty defeating too see how many people lack the skepticism to spot the empty promises and PR. But then you had nothing more concrete to point at than that being a sheep is generally bad so you'd be screamed down for being a cynical rear end in a top hat who has probably never done anything to save the world, so you just kind of forgot about the whole thing until this pedo-libel stuff surfaced. Then you laugh and laugh.

He's basically Steve Jobs without any profits over the last 10 years especially the whole pretending that he designs or engineers anything.

This is even with institutional money forking over 15 billion dollars to Tesla.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Not Tesla, but...

https://twitter.com/markbspiegel/status/1043985025006534660?s=20

”Sorry for hitting you and making you into a quadraplegic, sir, you were deemed a compression artifact by our self driving algo.”

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanking a dogshit billionaire on Twitter to own the entirety of the human experience

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

He's basically Steve Jobs without any profits over the last 10 years especially the whole pretending that he designs or engineers anything.

Jobs didn’t pretend he designs and engineers anything, though.
He was fine with selling himself as ”the visionary”.

He was an honest rear end in a top hat (still an rear end in a top hat, tho).

Elon’s a bullshitter.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Latrilife/status/1043979898421895168?s=20

(Check the thread.)

orcinus has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Sep 23, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I find the song choice very very appropriate

"I would rather burn" inside the car I can't get our of

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://forums.tesla.com/en_CN/node/74935

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BioMe posted:

For me it's mostly just nice to be able to say "see I was right" to people, because ever since the first time I saw Musk speak I thought "this man is obviously very stupid, is the rest of the world going insane?"

etalian posted:

Steve Jobs at least seemed competent as a businessman, and presumably had some non-zero level of skills, even if he wasn't the main brain behind early Apple.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Steve Jobs at least seemed competent as a businessman, and presumably had some non-zero level of skills, even if he wasn't the main brain behind early Apple.

Yeah by comparison Musk is bad both as a businessman and also in technical aspects.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

huh. maybe desert dirt lots weren't the ideal storage solution after all

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

It's kinda complicated; both Jobs and Wozniak agree they couldn't have made a go of Apple without each other, and Mike Markkula was instrumental in actually taking them from the garage to an actual company.

I think the better tech comparison is Clive Sinclair

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

I think the better tech comparison is Clive Sinclair

That's a nicer comparison, yeah, but even Sinclair wasn't completely clueless.
His first ventures were his own PCB designs, AFAIK.

There are some headbutting parallels for sure, tho.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

BioMe posted:

yeah i’m tempted to backtrack the old tech bubble thread to see when he hit yospos’s radar but i genuinely cant remember any time he was ever held in high regard. i think at best he was regarded as most rich people were: with a ton of suspicion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah i’m tempted to backtrack the old tech bubble thread to see when he hit yospos’s radar but i genuinely cant remember any time he was ever held in high regard. i think at best he was regarded as most rich people were: with a ton of suspicion

If search worked in any way you could search for hyperloop, that's mostly how he came up in the press in the past and yospos spent plenty of time dragging him over that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How does this shitshow keep getting funnier every day :lol:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How does this shitshow keep getting funnier every day :lol:

lol

https://twitter.com/Latrilife/status/1043979902582546433

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

quote:

Tesla service center recommended and uses a local car wash. The car wash asks that the key be left with them. I've never had a problem, but I'm reluctant to take the car elsewhere. I'd like to get clear instructions from Tesla. My model 3 manual says that it will go into park in 20 minutes after being put into tow mode. I'm concerned that, with a long waiting line, the 20 minutes might expire while in the wash.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
(thats if you use the solution the car wash suggested btw)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gum posted:

My model 3 manual says that it will go into park in 20 minutes after being put into tow mode

What conceivable loving reason would they have for doing this? So your car explodes off the tow truck halfway down the highway?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lmao that sounds rad as hell, i wanna see that

from an adjacent lane of course

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

People who've paid attention to tech-hype for a while probably had him figured out day 1, yeah. Generally though people just don't seem to catch on you should be incredibly suspicious when someone seems to have only positive publicity and is actively cultivating it. It was always so transparent.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BioMe posted:

People who've paid attention to tech-hype for a while probably had him figured out day 1, yeah. Generally though people just don't seem to catch on you should be incredibly suspicious when someone seems to have only positive publicity and is actively cultivating it. It was always so transparent.

Also how the media gave him such softball coverage while ignoring more boring things like the actual Tesla balance sheet and lack of any FCF.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

infernal machines posted:

What conceivable loving reason would they have for doing this? So your car explodes off the tow truck halfway down the highway?

I’d just assume that Teslas are flatbed only.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I’d just assume that Teslas are flatbed only.

They basically are, but then why have "tow mode" at all? Why have a booby trapped tow mode that disengages automatically after a certain time, all but guaranteeing some idiot will try to use it when their car is towed, and cause an accident?

Why are so many things in the model 3 fail-deadly? What kind of unbelievable goddamn loving idiots work at Tesla and why are they not in jail yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No one bothered to think about it in the rush to get it out the door.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other models are the same