Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Rogue Squadron hiding the Naboo Starfighter for a full six months until The Phantom Menace released.

Rogue Squadron had Dark Empire poo poo in it and that blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Garrand posted:

Welcome to everything that's not food and shelter?

They're selling it because there are people who will pay for it.
Okay and so to complete the loop, why will those people pay for it?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Because they want to?

If your argument is that all micro transactions necessarily lead to games that are grind fests in order to spur purchases just say it but that's also not the case. There's plenty of micro-transactions that are 100% optional in games that play perfectly fine without buying anything ever.

Like you can make an argument that Capcom is going to gently caress it up because it's Capcom and as a fighting game fan I've seen them gently caress up some poo poo with real money purchases but that's again another argument.

Mother loving SFxT fuckers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rogue Squadron had Dark Empire poo poo in it and that blew my mind.

90s LucasArts was really on-point about integrating stuff the EU into their games and making it line up properly. Like the Suprosa and the Outrider showing up in one mission of X-Wing Alliance and the dialog playing out almost word-for-word from the chapter of the Shadows of the Empire novel that covers the same events. Or when Lando shows up Jedi Knight II and he gives Kyle a ride to Bespin in the Lady Luck, which was the ship he flew in the post-Endor EU.

You kind of see a little bit of that at play today, like how Rebels bent over backwards with the Thrawn and the TIE Defender arc to actually keep it mostly in line with what happens in TIE Fighter itself. The production crew cared that much about a 20 year old video game that I bet Jorge didn't even know existed...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Garrand posted:

Because they want to?

If your argument is that all micro transactions necessarily lead to games that are grind fests in order to spur purchases just say it but that's also not the case. There's plenty of micro-transactions that are 100% optional in games that play perfectly fine without buying anything ever.
As said before the best case scenario is that the microtransactions are allowing people to ruin the game experience for themselves by buying cheat codes, which is dumb anyways. However the vast majority of the games that allow you to buy anything with mechanical impact purposely make the game an unpleasant grind fest to force you to buy the cheatcodes to make it a reasonable game.

There is no scenario where they are a good thing, only a "not great thing".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Garrand posted:

Because they want to?

Like you can make an argument that Capcom is going to gently caress it up because it's Capcom and as a fighting game fan I've seen them gently caress up some poo poo with real money purchases but that's again another argument.

Mother loving SFxT fuckers
That's not my argument. My argument is that that is not the crux of the Sterling's video either.

You cannot micro-transact without a product to sell. You cannot create a product without a means of production. The argument is not that micro-transactions necessarily lead to games that are grind fests in order to push people to buy them. It is that a game with micro-transactions must from necessity be designed around a system that allows the production of that product to be sold.

The defense that the premium currency or whatever can be earned in game and isn't obtrusive and is paced for unlocks to go at a natural pace or whatever completely misses the forest for the trees. Why do you not start with all the moves? Why don't they unlock in a natural progression through the game? The game has a premium currency in the first place to facilitate the means of production for delivering a product. Whether the purchases are necessary or not is a dodge - the issue is that the game design has as its focus the creation and delivery of a product for sale that is not the game itself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

imagine if they were selling an easy difficulty mode for the game instead

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
meh

game already has currency (red orbs) that's used to buy items and moves

Capcom is now enabling people who don't want to collect the game currency to just buy it with real money, plus some additional fancy doodads like the megabuster

it kinda makes sense, if you squint at it and maybe don't think through the implications

but yes it's ultimately just another method to make money off of people with no effort

I'm not gonna use it and nobody I know would ever use it so it might as well not exist

and I doubt very much we're gonna get mobile game levels of "you need to spend real money to actually progress and have fun in the game" bullshit

so I don't really see a problem, Capcom gets some bonus money from some people while I get a fun game to play

personally I'm getting real annoyed at Jim's constant bagging on any and all attempts at the game industry to make money

are some of them skeevy as hell? gently caress yeah they are!

but when it's getting to the point where he makes a six minute long video on a six paragraph long news piece that basically says "oh yeah, and you can buy red orbs if you wanna", on a single player game where any purchases you make will never affect anyone else who bought the game, which also isn't even out for another half a year, it's getting a bit much and maybe he should step back a bit, pick your battles and don't condemn everything with the same level of vitriol cause honestly, it's not worth the effort

Capcom leaving out a tip jar for it's multi-million dollar AAA game is more embarrassing than evil

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a 60 dollar game. More if it's a special edition. They're already making their money.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wish I knew how to code. I'd make a game called Battle for Galt's Gulch, in which you can spend real dollars for EntrepreneurBucks, which let you buy infinite ammo, homing missiles, endless armor and jump packs right out of the gate, literally making it a contest to see who can outspend the other players.

Sure, it'd have only 70 players, but they'd ll be Silicon Valley libertarian uberkids who'd be all in on the concept and glad to spend 50 grand a month each just to show how superior they are to the others. Anyone who complains that it's unfair just clearly doesn't believe in meritocracy!

Might work in a single player game as long as the enemies were antifa or campus protesters, I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember how jim sterling likes DmC for some reason

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbot posted:

It's a 60 dollar game. More if it's a special edition. They're already making their money.

actually $90 in canadabux

Alaois posted:

remember how jim sterling likes DmC for some reason

so did every other games journalist at the time, can't condemn the entire industry for that

... well I mean you can but you probably shouldn't

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

so did every other games journalist at the time, can't condemn the entire industry for that

... well I mean you can but you probably shouldn't

I can and will!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

This is weird though because they already did this in DMC4: SE and like, it really had no impact on the game at all, sometimes publishers are stupid and add "Get everything RIGHT NOW" options for things you already get loads of in the course of normal play, they really shouldn't do it because it's dumb, zero effort penny pinching, but it's weird to make the argument "IT'S GONNA MAKE THE GAME THIS OR THAT, IT'S AN INDISPUTABLE FACT" when they already did this before and it in fact did not. This one just feels really off the mark.

When I first saw some people reacting to it, I though, "Wait, people are okay with this?" Then the topic of DMC4's red orb microtransaction/DLC whatsit was brought up, and then it made more sense to me. Mind you, I've not played any of the Devil May Cry games, but I don't remember there being any furor over that.

It reminds me of how when Sleeping Dogs came out, they had all these weird DLC packs that gave you bonuses to your rankings and cash. I think some of them were pre-order bonuses, or things you got real cheap when the game went on sale. It confused me, because there was nothing in the game that seemed like you were drip-fed any of the stats, and I didn't understand why'd you want to start the game with a major boost.

There was also the thing with Mortal Kombat X where you could buy Easy Fatalities, which...:shrug:

I guess we'll have to wait and see, though, if DMCV is the same as 4, or if they throttle/adjust the orb thing to upgrades or whatever.

Plus, considering how quickly they seem to have addressed the whole Dante song controversy, maybe something similar will happen.

Dabir posted:

imagine if they were selling an easy difficulty mode for the game instead

I don't know about an easy mode, but when Metro Last Light first came out, the hardest difficulty (Ranger) was DLC you had to pay for. Since then, though I think it got combined into the Redux Edition with no extra charge.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

personally I'm getting real annoyed at Jim's constant bagging on any and all attempts at the game industry to make money

but when it's getting to the point where he makes a six minute long video on a six paragraph long news piece that basically says "oh yeah, and you can buy red orbs if you wanna", on a single player game where any purchases you make will never affect anyone else who bought the game, which also isn't even out for another half a year, it's getting a bit much and maybe he should step back a bit, pick your battles and don't condemn everything with the same level of vitriol cause honestly, it's not worth the effort

Capcom leaving out a tip jar for it's multi-million dollar AAA game is more embarrassing than evil

I'm glad you said that, because that is one of my problems with Jim. He brings up (mockingly) in one of his videos someone asking him why he's not more positive. I'm not saying that he should ignore it when companies pull skeevy stuff, but the problem is that it gets exhausting hearing him bash on stuff all the time. I know that not every one of his videos is like that (I'm mainly thinking of the Jimquisition stuff, which is what I'm most familiar with), but he does feel one-note a lot of the time.

Leal posted:

#1 worst nostalgic wedding: The Nostalgia Critic wedding :downsrim:

Hey speaking of the walkman time for a tri annual review of a reviewers review. Took a watch of his Big Fat Liar episode. Man, Doug really has no more originality, doesn't he? Its basically all references to other stuff the entire way through. There isn't even any skits going on, which is a shock. I remember people talking about how his stuff really isn't fair use as all he does is walk you through the movie and this is the perfect example of it.

Also insert joke of Big Fat Liar being the title of the 10 year anniversary video.

I saw that in the related videos a day or so ago, skipped around to the middle to watch a few seconds, then promptly moved on to something. I might watch it if I can muster up the endurance, but I don't really get why he'd review with Big Fat Liar, apart from the notion that he's just run out of stuff to cover. Like, it's been a long time since I've seen it, but I don't remember that movie being bad. More than that, though, it's something that seems really outside his wheelhouse. Like, I might be the only one who will admit it, but there was a time where Doug was liked, and the Nostalgia Critic could be amusing when it highlighted some of the cheesy, bizarre, or awful stuff from the 80s and 90s. Stuff like Garbage Pail Kids, Warriors of Virtue, and Rad. Big Fat Liar...just seems wrong.

Then again, seeing as how his other recent reviews include the Angry Birds movie and Jack and Jill, I don't know why I'm surprised.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 24, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

meh

game already has currency (red orbs) that's used to buy items and moves

Capcom is now enabling people who don't want to collect the game currency to just buy it with real money, plus some additional fancy doodads like the megabuster

it kinda makes sense, if you squint at it and maybe don't think through the implications

but yes it's ultimately just another method to make money off of people with no effort

I'm not gonna use it and nobody I know would ever use it so it might as well not exist

and I doubt very much we're gonna get mobile game levels of "you need to spend real money to actually progress and have fun in the game" bullshit

so I don't really see a problem, Capcom gets some bonus money from some people while I get a fun game to play

because it used to be a free feature built into games called a cheat code. charging for that is scummy and lovely. christ, have you never played a game more than ten years old?

again, no $60 game - none - not a single solitary one - should ever have any loving microtransactions. period. end of loving discussion.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

yeah it's pretty annoying when a dude whose primary focus is pointing out lovely practices by the game industry goes and makes a video pointing out lovely practices by the game industry.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

because it used to be a free feature built into games called a cheat code. charging for that is scummy and lovely. christ, have you never played a game more than ten years old?

again, no $60 game - none - not a single solitary one - should ever have any loving microtransactions. period. end of loving discussion.

You do know that Action Replay and Game Genies exist right? That these were things that were sold by companies to people?

And you do know that these magazines don't just get handed to you; someone needed to pay for that.

quote:

yeah it's pretty annoying when a dude whose primary focus is pointing out lovely practices by the game industry goes and makes a video pointing out lovely practices by the game industry.

You know, I've never seen Jim Sterling say anything about Kingdom Come Deliverance. Or what Stardock had done for Star Control Origins. You'd think he would, if he was all about lovely practices...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A AAA game whining about not being able to make money is akin to the Hollywood whinging about the Lone Ranger not making enough money. No one is forcing them to make such bloated terrible games. So stop acting like it's the customer's obligation to bail you out for your reckless spending.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

You do know that Action Replay and Game Genies exist right? That these were things that were sold by companies to people?

really

this is what you're going with

a third party device that works by manipulating and altering the coding of the game itself is the first thing that springs to your mind as a comparison to microtransactions

holy gently caress

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If an industry can't survive with out skeezy or abusive methods of saving cost/gaining income then maybe it should die off, and if it can survive without them then doing them is a choice that should be condemned. And while lootboxes and MTs are the big visible ones to consumers there is also the abusing the workers part like we see now with Telltale shutting down.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

really

a third party device that works by manipulating and altering the coding of the game itself is the first thing that springs to your mind as a comparison to microtransactions

holy gently caress

Yes.

Unless you think that these things were just given to people out of the goodness of heart, for the betterment of humanity.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

Yes.

Unless you think that these things were just given to people out of the goodness of heart, for the betterment of humanity.

I seem to have forgotten that game genie was made by Nintendo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

really

holy gently caress

It shouldn’t shock you gamers buy fully into consumerism so bootlicking comes naturally to them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Leal posted:

wait you mean you don't remember when nintendo got fully behind endorsing game genie and trying to get people to buy it by *checks notes* suing the producers of it to try and remove it from store shelves?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Leal posted:

That's the whole point of capitalism; if you don't sell it, someone else will.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If the games didn't have microtransactions they would be full of third party cheat codes!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

That's the whole point of capitalism; if you don't sell it, someone else will.

this is true as evidenced by cheat engine, which sells for zero dollars. and all the third party cheat devices that exist today, such as

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is true as evidenced by cheat engine, which sells for zero dollars. and all the third party cheat devices that exist today, such as

Made obsolete by microtransactions.

I also note you completely ignored my point about game magazines, nice derail there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yes daddy Capcom sell me some more worthless zero-effort garbage! Harder!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

no they weren't you dumb motherfucker, they were made obsolete by virtue of them being traceable and you getting banned from online services if you use them. they went away way the gently caress before microtransactions were a thing. you either have the most selective memory in the world or you are extraordinarily thick.

Spark That Bled posted:

I also note you completely ignored my point about game magazines, nice derail there.

i ignored everything else in your dumb fuckin post because you led it off with the worst justification for microtransactions anyone has ever made.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

:psyboom:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i ignored everything else in your dumb fuckin post because you led it off with the worst justification for microtransactions anyone has ever made.

After you made the worst argument against microtransactions anyone has ever made?

I'm not even arguing for or against microtransactions anymore, I just loving hate Jim Sterling because he's the Doug Walker of gamer YouTube.

Spark That Bled fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 24, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I generally agree with Jim Sterling, but he only has three videos, each of which I have seen thirty times already, so I just kinda don't watch his stuff anymore.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm not even arguing for or against microtransactions anymore, I just loving hate Jim Sterling because he's the Doug Walker of gamer YouTube.

extremely cool and normal for your hatred of an internet personality to be so intense that you twist yourself into knots attempting to justify practices you're ostensibly not even in favor of just because that internet personality makes videos attacking those practices

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covering myself in feces to own Jim Sterling

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I miss getting involved in arguments in this thread

Who wants to talk about MythCon?

Only joking, here's a new video by Techmoan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMu-BoECblE

EDIT: Also it's not strictly internet personalities but it is games mags and I got a big whiff of nostalgia from this thread. Back when games mags were basically even cringier lads mags because tits were the only way they thought they could compete with the internet.

https://twitter.com/falldogs/status/1043512568449519616

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spark That Bled posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, this book with reviews, previews, strategy guides, and cheats is exactly the same as a single transaction that gets me 200 fuckbux and an xp boost.

Do you just not understand economic value or are you just a stupid motherfucker in general?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

OmanyteJackson posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, this book with reviews, previews, strategy guides, and cheats is exactly the same as a single transaction that gets me 200 fuckbux and an xp boost.

Do you just not understand economic value or are you just a stupid motherfucker in general?

Do you want to get into the economic value of a old game magazine?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

extremely cool and normal for your hatred of an internet personality to be so intense that you twist yourself into knots attempting to justify practices you're ostensibly not even in favor of just because that internet personality makes videos attacking those practices

Bro, it's Jim Sterling.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There is no depth to which I won’t stoop in order to vanquish the villain who once gave a mediocre score to a game I liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ