Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Even so western cartoons have development cycles that don't necessitate the sort of 100 hour work week crunch periods that characterize both anime development and AA video game development. If you've been up for 20 continuous hours you're not going to put much effort into either animation or quest design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless your an obsessive compulsive or a well known director (who often become so due to their obsessive compulsive need to work up through the ranks of the industry) the animation and gaming industries seem like hell jobs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately the Godzilla anime was still anime, and goddamn if anime isn't at this point at least 50% ways to save money by having boring dialogue scenes whenever possible.

thats not an anime problem, but a broad animation problem. it's really cheap to just have people standing around talking no matter where you are in the world

i am a biased observer tho, my favorite anime (and tv show in general) is literally all people standing around talking until the last 2 episodes

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

thats not an anime problem, but a broad animation problem. it's really cheap to just have people standing around talking no matter where you are in the world

i am a biased observer tho, my favorite anime (and tv show in general) is literally all people standing around talking until the last 2 episodes
Do people start stop talking in the last two episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I'm only 40 episodes in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unless your an obsessive compulsive or a well known director (who often become so due to their obsessive compulsive need to work up through the ranks of the industry) the animation and gaming industries seem like hell jobs.

Much like show business, they have an endless supply of starry-eyed dorks lined up to take any job that puts them in technical proximity to their dreams, and the industry knows this. Staff who burn out can be replaced near instantly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do people start stop talking in the last two episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I'm only 40 episodes in.

my favorite anime is serial experiments lain, not LOGH. my avatar is lain and everything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
HOWEVER, i will not do a username own or anything, as liking LOGH is NOT a terrible opinion

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Make sure you cite K. Waste's video on the subject.

Where can this be found?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Golden Gael posted:

Where can this be found?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MCseZLVxBQ

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

my favorite anime is serial experiments lain, not LOGH. my avatar is lain and everything
I was just making a joke using the only talkie anime that I've watched that was good, though I haven't seen lain.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i should note that, mandatory lesbian's gimmick aside, Lain is a legit really good show that anyone who's into animation at all should check out

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
NECA Godzilla stuff showed up at my Target, they had Shin Godzilla and the "glowing" Godzilla from Destroyah. Just in case someone wants to waste money like me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

RichterIX posted:

NECA Godzilla stuff showed up at my Target, they had Shin Godzilla and the "glowing" Godzilla from Destroyah. Just in case someone wants to waste money like me.

Mine as well. Makes me wonder if they bought out Toys R Us' inventory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the neca or sh monsterarts lines better?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Golden Gael posted:

Where can this be found?

Heads up: My voice is really annoying in this one, you might just want to turn the sound off, play the film score, and watch the montage. Anything important I say is conveyed in the sparse text throughout the video, and, I'm telling you, my voice is really annoying in this one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Mine as well. Makes me wonder if they bought out Toys R Us' inventory.

Target's now going to sell NECA products

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arcsquad12 posted:

SH MonsterArts is the better line but you're paying for that quality.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I bought one SH Monsterarts toy just to see how cool it was and now when I get the itch I just buy NECA. The difference in quality is evident, but I'm not sure it's 3-4 times the price worth.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Heads up: My voice is really annoying in this one, you might just want to turn the sound off, play the film score, and watch the montage. Anything important I say is conveyed in the sparse text throughout the video, and, I'm telling you, my voice is really annoying in this one.

I'm glad you have a real name so I don't have to cite Forum User K. Waste in academia.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Golden Gael posted:

I'm glad you have a real name so I don't have to cite Forum User K. Waste in academia.

Kenneth “K.” Waste is a legit citation

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does anyone have that list of the future evolutions from shin Godzilla handy?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Covered a few times, but yeah. NECA is the budget line, and so far only with Godzilla himself, though that's going to change relatively soon.

But the difference in quality isn't so severe as to be worth the price difference. If you have the money to dump on the more expensive figures, go ahead. But NECA GMK, 54, Shin and 14 are all pretty drat good at being what they are. 94 NECA is arguably on par with original 94 Figuarts, though doesn't hold a candle to the renewal version- but again, price.

And 1984 has yet to get a good articulated figure. From anyone.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have NECA GMK and SH Monsterarts '95 "Birth" and they are both cool, I would say that the Monsterarts one was definitely NOT worth 3x what I paid for the NECA one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the trailer for Planet Eater dropped. Congrats anime Godzilla, you managed to make King Ghidorah look boring.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't understand how, with the unlimited potential of animation, they managed to make something even worse than Godzilla's Revenge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the trailer for Planet Eater dropped. Congrats anime Godzilla, you managed to make King Ghidorah look boring.

Read this first and thought surely you cant gently caress up Ghidorah but oh boy turns out you really can!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What have you done, you bastards, you managed to gently caress up my King. :mad:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'm guessing that isn't even his final form.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
His final form will be a 45 minute internal monologue.

Ghidorah: time eater

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh please you know Godzilla is going to spend the first eighty minutes napping and then shoot a lazer or two at Ghidorah for the last ten minutes while the rest of the runtime is sakaki screaming bloody murder while the exif ramble on with pseudo philosophy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I only made it through the initial 20 minutes of the first Godzilla anime. I'm simultaneously relieved and angry that I don't need to catch up with the rest of it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

mods changed my name posted:

I really don't understand how, with the unlimited potential of animation, they managed to make something even worse than Godzilla's Revenge.

Godzilla's Revenge actually owns. I don't understand why folks keep ragging on it when, come on, Godzilla Raids Again is sitting right there.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla's Revenge actually owns. I don't understand why folks keep ragging on it when, come on, Godzilla Raids Again is sitting right there.

Godzilla Raids Again is fine.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HannibalBarca posted:

Godzilla Raids Again is fine.

Pfft

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Better than Varan.

GRA was I think the last Godzilla movie I got to see until 2014 came out, because I didn't have a good internet until 2011 or 2012 and I couldn't ever find the American version on VHS as a kid and teh DVD didn't come out where I lived

So what I say about GRA is this- it is a movie that could have been an amazing drama, that was instead rushed out and phoned in so hard that it's just above the bottom tier by sheer weight of nothing annoying happening. You could take the basic plot of GRA, rearrange a few things, and have the best movie in the franchise

But we don't have that. We have a mess of a film that, at least, is unique for giving us the first ever kaiju battle and letting Toho back off of Godzilla to focus on more original monsters instead

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I love how everyone politely ignores just how bad Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is in these debates.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

I love how everyone politely ignores just how bad Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is in these debates.

To acknowledge it is to give it legitimacy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

Godzilla VS Space Godzilla is my least favorite Godzilla movie ever made

It bad

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That movie has 3 different kinds of Godzilla in it and Rodan, how is it so mediocre?

It's like the peak of the "beam wars" era where the suits were too immobile to have the kaiju actually fight so they just shot each other with DBZ beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Choco1980 posted:

People in some Godzilla Facebook group I'm in seem to think it's a good movie and Everytime it comes up I remind them how wrong they are.