Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The White Dragon posted:

modifying your ps2 to have a shock-feedback dildo attachment is ILLEGAL

What do you mean? The Rez Trance Vibrator was a completely licensed peripheral for the system...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Black August posted:

Not. Goddamn. Worth it. Seriously you skip voicework and suddenly your RPG is years less to manage and make without the stars in alignment to even make it worthwhile since medicore voicework may as well be F-grade voicework in any length RPG

I'd have to disagree with this sort of. VA can add a lot to a game if it's managed properly. I've been playing a lot of Divinity 2 and it's excellent. Every single line is voiced for every character (and animal). Even the narration is voiced. It didn't take a billion years and it really helps getting you into the world.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah the VA in Divinity is comfy. Those games let you go through dialog at your own pace so you can skim through it if you want to.

I have a problem with VA when the game is trying to be cinematic by doing all of that through cutscenes that are modeled after movies.

I really like the narration in Divinity because it makes the game feel more like a story book. The narration often describes what the NPCs are doing more efficiently than cutting to an animated scene. Just a few words to flavor the character and the scene.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 24, 2018

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Black August posted:

Not. Goddamn. Worth it. Seriously you skip voicework and suddenly your RPG is years less to manage and make without the stars in alignment to even make it worthwhile since medicore voicework may as well be F-grade voicework in any length RPG

VA is a major part of modern games, and just shrugging and not doing it isn't an option for a big budget game project. Indi developers can often chose not to and still succeed, but even there quality VA can make a game stand out and mean the difference between smash hit and releasing into obscurity.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So at what point did Square decide that the style of games that made them rich and famous actually suck and they should make dumb third person action crap instead?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bloom posted:

So at what point did Square decide that the style of games that made them rich and famous actually suck and they should make dumb third person action crap instead?

When God of War sold well in Japan.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

bloom posted:

Nomura.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

all of this new FF15 content coming out is becoming comical

I don't know anyone who actually likes that game beyond "it was ok", but I'm guessing it's making a butt load of money for Square Enix to be so balls to the wall with their continuation of that specific IP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wanted to keep playing Final Fantasy XV after finishing the story, but the game is just an absolute chore to get around the gameworld in, and I could never figure out how magic works.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
god, how much longer must we wait for a FF8 iOS port?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
FFXVs battle system took them like 8 re-dos to finish and it just boils down to 'swing your sword around and chug potions' in a game where potions are extremely cheap

lmao

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloom posted:

Nomura stated himself that he doesn't like turn-based games IIRC, and Square bought that as a smart business decision despite games like Persona 5, Pokémon and all the turn-based mobile FF games being very successful and profitable games, the latter as I pointed out being the bulk of Square profits to this day.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

When God of War sold well in Japan.

Did it really? I thought anything made by western developers dies a muted death in the game stores of Kyoto

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

VA is a major part of modern games, and just shrugging and not doing it isn't an option for a big budget game project. Indi developers can often chose not to and still succeed, but even there quality VA can make a game stand out and mean the difference between smash hit and releasing into obscurity.

stardew valley has no voice acting, and it is better for it

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Elentor posted:

Nomura stated himself that he doesn't like turn-based games IIRC, and Square bought that as a smart business decision despite games like Persona 5, Pokémon and all the turn-based mobile FF games being very successful and profitable games, the latter as I pointed out being the bulk of Square profits to this day.

Seriously, if the guy hates turn based games, why did he even start working at the company whose entire profit model was games that were turn based!? The fact that he did so and eventually managed to then take the entire company somehow (presumably on the good faith of his veteran work, and how gangbusters KH did?) and change its total trajectory based on his sole personal tastes makes it even stranger.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously, if the guy hates turn based games, why did he even start working at the company whose entire profit model was games that were turn based!? The fact that he did so and eventually managed to then take the entire company somehow (presumably on the good faith of his veteran work, and how gangbusters KH did?) and change its total trajectory based on his sole personal tastes makes it even stranger.

they ditched turn based battles with FF4

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
if it's the final fantasy... why do they keep making more?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
I don't understand why the mobile ports of the old games don't have the classic sprites. Record Keeper proves they work well on mobile.

Chillgamesh posted:

This is only tangentially related but Square-Enix announced they're working on a new Front Mission game or a spin-off set in the same universe or something and guess the gently caress what, it's another lovely third person action game like Front Mission Evolved instead of a turn-based strategy game. I'm actually mad irl right now

gently caress. At least give us a new Gun Hazard if you're not going to do a TBS.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't understand why the mobile ports of the old games don't have the classic sprites. Record Keeper proves they work well on mobile.

Because it's not the point or purpose to actually make anything good.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Those mobile versions with updated sprites are ugly as gently caress.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

The guy who created Final Fantasy quit Squaresoft in 2003.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

why would you pay for that, you can just put a SNES emulator on your phone

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rutibex posted:

stardew valley has no voice acting, and it is better for it

I really think good voice acting can help a game a lot, especially if you get a studio with good acting and direction. The Fire Emblem 2 remake and NieR: Automata are both substantially improved by the quality of the voice acting imo, and both tackle the same kind of over-dramatic stuff that FF games do. I think FF7 can definitely be a game that voice acting sells, though not if they just get AC Sephiroth to drone his lines in monotone and depressive AC Cloud to flatly go "no. aeris......" when she gets kidnapped by Tseng.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 25, 2018

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Jimmy Hats posted:

FFXVs battle system took them like 8 re-dos to finish and it just boils down to 'swing your sword around and chug potions' in a game where potions are extremely cheap

lmao

I love the combat in the Kingdom Hearts games, and yet they somehow screwed it up implementing it into a proper FF game and made it feel really stiff.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Aeris was a dumb whiny rear end in a top hat and i have no clue why she was even a part of the game like we could have a prophecy or some poo poo without the teenage romance like comone japan i hope this is fixed in the remake

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

InevitableCheese posted:

Aeris was a dumb whiny rear end in a top hat and i have no clue why she was even a part of the game like we could have a prophecy or some poo poo without the teenage romance like comone japan i hope this is fixed in the remake

what are you talking about they don't even go on a date at gold saucer

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aeris is the least whiny character in the entire game.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
also arguably the most important character since without her summoning holy, meteor would have landed even with the gang beating Sephiroth.

anyway, been playing FFXII again, since I've never actually finished it. I think this is my fourth attempt at going through it since it came out like 12 years ago, I always end up getting pulled away by real life stuff, or have my playthrough derailed by my PS2 dying. Its still a fairly dull game, but the music is nice and the voice acting is decent at least. Playing it while listening to podcasts has made it a lot better

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Aeris is the best character because she is the horniest character.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think zidane is hornier than aeris. but maybe less horny than cid ix

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if we are including all of final fantasy than obviously Edgar is the horniest

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
I hope they keep the battle system and give it an actual plot. The storyline was just complete rear end.

Not fun rear end either but like you've been talking to this chick all night, then she turns around and she has concave Hank Hill rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should just release the golden saucer with minigames. thats all anyone cares about anyway

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Literally nothing but a 4k remake and expansion of the Gold Saucer to have 100 minigames, the entire game is spent picking who you will date for the finale, there is no other gameplay

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Rutibex posted:

they ditched turn based battles with FF4

Huh. Well then in that case (checks wikipedia's entry on Nomura) that...actually is the game he started at square on. Fancy that.

Black August posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Literally nothing but a 4k remake and expansion of the Gold Saucer to have 100 minigames, the entire game is spent picking who you will date for the finale, there is no other gameplay

Shut up and take my money gil.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
FF7 has a better story than most JRPGs that I've played. It suffers from a rushed translation job though, making things more confusing than they should be

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I just want a quality ff7/Barret Doom WAD. That's all I'm asking for Square Penix

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I just want a quality ff7/Barret Doom WAD. That's all I'm asking for Square Penix

With marshmallow sailor-suit as an optional skin.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

FF7 is so crazy when you think about how it was made. Just crazy devs messing with expensive computers and a bunch of 3D tools they had never used before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
No poo poo talking Aeris in my thread please