Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had those wheels on my 84 with raised white letter tires and it owned. People made fun of the wheels but they just don't know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I wish I could somehow fabricate a set of waffles in 16” or at least 15”, maybe 7-8” wide. There are guys that machine OEM wheels to fit into BBS 3-piece barrels, but of course safety and legality are questionable on those.
I have a model SA22C that has the wheels a bit out of scale, so they look like 16s or so, and they look great on that model.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

In the shop for a little surgery. Ditching the CIS for a Weber and a shift linkage upgrayyed.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats awesome.

Paint the wheels black tho~

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

oh yeah that is good. The rims suit it somehow while it appears that they are p much like stock modern mini cooper ones. Whatever works but on my tiny mobile the front axle seems well wider than the rear. Can’t really think of l a good reason for that so are they?

e. why not, posting from the car anyway waiting for it to cool before i finish a coolant drain/flush and fill

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 23, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cage posted:

Paint the wheels black tho~

I disagree so hard with this statement!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, paint them white.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

no, not painting them is the answer - ronal dish wheels are :getin:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Old Binsby posted:

oh yeah that is good. The rims suit it somehow while it appears that they are p much like stock modern mini cooper ones. Whatever works but on my tiny mobile the front axle seems well wider than the rear. Can’t really think of l a good reason for that so are they?

The wheels are Panasport minilites, my dream wheels. I wanted them for my Rx7 but that wasn't meant to be. The track is definitely wider in the front which I don't think is that strange otherwise it would push/understeer in corners. Or maybe that's why MK1 Rabbit/GTIs are so fun to drive, it's the same platform. It's noticeable because I have 20mm spacers on there. The wheels originally came off a Civic and the backspacing was way off so instead of measuring I just went ham. It's too much and it rubs everywhere so I just got some 15mm to hopefully stop that. Only drawback is it looks awesome from the back with the tires out that far but I'm older now and it's time for function over form.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

shy boy from chess club posted:

The wheels are Panasport minilites, my dream wheels. I wanted them for my Rx7 but that wasn't meant to be. The track is definitely wider in the front which I don't think is that strange otherwise it would push/understeer in corners. Or maybe that's why MK1 Rabbit/GTIs are so fun to drive, it's the same platform. It's noticeable because I have 20mm spacers on there. The wheels originally came off a Civic and the backspacing was way off so instead of measuring I just went ham. It's too much and it rubs everywhere so I just got some 15mm to hopefully stop that. Only drawback is it looks awesome from the back with the tires out that far but I'm older now and it's time for function over form.

i never realized that the mk I scirocco was an FWD as well. Always lumped them into the German campy coupe category because it fits there with the Manta, 635 and such. Its more the Kadett (GT/E) apparently

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea it's kind of a drag that they are FWD but it's so fun to drive it doesn't bother me too much. It's not as good as my Rx7 was but close enough.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
1973 Super Beetle. I will be pulling the engine/transmission and putting in a turbo 2.2 engine and transmission from a subaru with reverse cut gears. I bought it this spring and just been playing around with it while I source parts. I am still looking for a good donor car for the engine and transmission. My local area is pretty dry for good ones so I am having to expand my search.

Once I have the donor car I will start a project thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tindjin posted:

1973 Super Beetle. I will be pulling the engine/transmission and putting in a turbo 2.2 engine and transmission from a subaru with reverse cut gears. I bought it this spring and just been playing around with it while I source parts. I am still looking for a good donor car for the engine and transmission. My local area is pretty dry for good ones so I am having to expand my search.

Once I have the donor car I will start a project thread.

You going to leave it looking like this? That would be hella rad.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

KakerMix posted:

You going to leave it looking like this? That would be hella rad.

I'm going to remove the front turn lights, install tail lights from an earlier bug and close in the rear quarter window vents. I'm not sure about color yet. I am getting rid of all the chrome also.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Went on a road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway with Deeters and um_exuse_me.

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/52Sbqaf

Unfortunately the weather kind of sucked so no really good overlook pictures but that probably meant it was less busy than it could have been. It was still a blast and I cant wait to go back.

The Challenger is a great road trip car, it even hit 25mpg at one point. I've now driven this car more in three months than the PO did in over two years.

I ended up going with the General G-Max RS in 275/40-20 for my new tires. They've been great so far, very good in the wet, under $750 installed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'll rush to put these up.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 25, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This thing really does look brand new

Apologies for the tiny pictures, sometimes the dudes at the port have rad camera phones, other times they do not. Check out that interior, underside and the key. Truly a brand new 1993 model.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SFH1989 posted:

Went on a road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway with Deeters and um_exuse_me.

drat, I wish I'd known about this. I live like 5 minutes from the BRP and maybe 20 minutes from Bold Rock Cider Co.

Of course, all of my fun cars are out of commission at the moment.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SFH1989 posted:

Went on a road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway with Deeters and um_excuse_me.

Same answer as Terrible Robot :mad:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KakerMix posted:

This thing really does look brand new

:eyepoop: That is remarkable!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I guess we'll have more people to invite next time.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dox this nerd:

I live in Hampton Roads so I can get to the Parkway a little easier than the other two if future goon shenangians are going to happen.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm in RVA and down to go whenever, with adequate advanced notice.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm in RTP so the parkway isn't tooo far some weekends.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll be in Norfolk for work in a couple of weeks. I probably won't have a fun car to drive but up to meet up.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

We're having a MEAT MEET on November 3rd in RVA if you'll be around! PM for deets.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I haven't missed a Meat Meet yet and I don't plan to start now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yusssss meat.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
forgive the lovely phone pictures and godawful console workmanship, I just got it running

I figured that since my 1987 Mazda 323 Wagon's engine was starting to get a bit weak and the transmission started grinding cold at an oddly low 284,000miles , that it was time to replace the engine. I could have just bought another crappy B6, but instead I built probably the fastest Mazda 323 Wagon in the US that actually runs, all done with period-correct HKS performance parts.

So, I found an early Capri XR2, bought the engine/trans/wiring, and it more or less bolted right in. After surfing eBay and Croooober, I bought what was probably the last brand new in box HKS PFC F-CON. I couldn't stop there, so I bought a a Graphic Control Computer 2 for fuel map editing and an original Electronic Valve Controller to complete the JDM tuning trifecta. Currently it is running just about 1 bar, about double the stock pressure on a VJ11, the next size up turbo, from a Ford Probe. Its pretty fast for 2400lbs, and runs awesome except for the valve stem seals being total garbage and smokes on cold startup if its sat for more than 2 days. I found a Mk2 GTI with a Techtonics stainless steel exhaust and cannibalized the resonator and muffler from it, preserving most of the piping distances in an attempt to keep the sound from it, which I always had liked. I have to clean up the wiring, get an EGT bung welded in, and put the wideband on to see what I need to to for tuning. Unfortunately, I only have the harness for RPM based adjustments with the GCC, meaning that I can't richen it up as easily at high boost pressures without loving up the part-throttle tuning. I might be able to change GCC harnesses, I have one from Road Race Engineering when I bought a GTX from them like 12 years ago that might give me pressure based adjustments. Its REALLY hard to get information on this stuff beyond the scans of paper manuals.

The weirdest thing is that the holes and captured nuts in the core support for the intercooler are there, despite Mazda never making a turbo 323 wagon. Curious thing, that.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Apologies for the tiny pictures, sometimes the dudes at the port have rad camera phones, other times they do not. Check out that interior, underside and the key. Truly a brand new 1993 model.

I have some OE Daihatsu key blanks somewhere, I bought them from Australia when I heard Daihatsu was pulling out of that country. I'd gladly send you one if you want to make a copy. I also have some clones, which I have a whole pile of and are perfect replicas minus the logo itself.

edit: I've kept keys and locks from every Daihatsu I ever scrapped, that pattern looks familiar so maybe I have some compatible lock cylinders!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Gronk make fast

I love it, bloody well done on finding all the period correct bits too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Gronk make fast

I love it, bloody well done on finding all the period correct bits too.

Thanks! I could have bought a Miata harness/sensor set and a Megasquirt PnP for what I paid for all this, but it just wouldn't be the same.

The thing has the intake noises of a late 90s Best Motoring tuner car, but with a much better exhaust note. I forgot to mention that I'm using an Audi 710N bypass valve because somehow every single OE bypass valve I had was bad. drat thing shudders just like they did on Audis. :sigh:

edit: I'm looking at the Piaggio badged version of a Daihatsu HiJet tomorrow for $700, I think its 4wd!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Awesome!
Would the different body styles use different core supports? Maybe it's shared from the hatchback. Different markets had different engines. Were there any other intercooled turbos?

Edit: Wikipedia says there was an e5 turbo, but not intercooled.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 1, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Charles posted:

Awesome!
Would the different body styles use different core supports? Maybe it's shared from the hatchback. Different markets had different engines. Were there any other intercooled turbos?

Edit: Wikipedia says there was an e5 turbo, but not intercooled.

This is the same generation as the Familia GT and GTX, I assume they just used all the same core support, since the turbo and non turbo radiator mounts are different, and it has both on there. The GTX can run a nonturbo radiator, but the inlet is in the wrong place so you'd need a different hose.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DJ Commie posted:

forgive the lovely phone pictures and godawful console workmanship, I just got it running

I figured that since my 1987 Mazda 323 Wagon's engine was starting to get a bit weak and the transmission started grinding cold at an oddly low 284,000miles , that it was time to replace the engine. I could have just bought another crappy B6, but instead I built probably the fastest Mazda 323 Wagon in the US that actually runs, all done with period-correct HKS performance parts.

So, I found an early Capri XR2, bought the engine/trans/wiring, and it more or less bolted right in. After surfing eBay and Croooober, I bought what was probably the last brand new in box HKS PFC F-CON. I couldn't stop there, so I bought a a Graphic Control Computer 2 for fuel map editing and an original Electronic Valve Controller to complete the JDM tuning trifecta. Currently it is running just about 1 bar, about double the stock pressure on a VJ11, the next size up turbo, from a Ford Probe. Its pretty fast for 2400lbs, and runs awesome except for the valve stem seals being total garbage and smokes on cold startup if its sat for more than 2 days. I found a Mk2 GTI with a Techtonics stainless steel exhaust and cannibalized the resonator and muffler from it, preserving most of the piping distances in an attempt to keep the sound from it, which I always had liked. I have to clean up the wiring, get an EGT bung welded in, and put the wideband on to see what I need to to for tuning. Unfortunately, I only have the harness for RPM based adjustments with the GCC, meaning that I can't richen it up as easily at high boost pressures without loving up the part-throttle tuning. I might be able to change GCC harnesses, I have one from Road Race Engineering when I bought a GTX from them like 12 years ago that might give me pressure based adjustments. Its REALLY hard to get information on this stuff beyond the scans of paper manuals.

The weirdest thing is that the holes and captured nuts in the core support for the intercooler are there, despite Mazda never making a turbo 323 wagon. Curious thing, that.

Hope all of those parts are CARB certified haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

This is the best. Serious dedication to use the vintage parts. A+ build.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I bought a Musky scented car.

I love this stupid thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Green mushrooms of death are the greatest HKS contribution to ricer culture.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I bought a slow Japanese land barge for a daily driver

'85 Supra L-type, 76k miles. I'm one of the few crazies who actually like these cars better without the P-type fender flares. There is no rust. I put it up on jacks and looked everywhere, it's really remarkable. The interior looks nearly new, apart from some faded buttons and door handles that I will replace. Most of the electronics work, except the sound system sometimes cuts out certain speakers (bad caps in the head unit I think), and the cruise control only works intermittently (who cares). The A/C was working when I bought it but a day later the belt shredded and smoke started coming from the compressor, so I have a remanufactured one on the way. This will probably be trash but I live in south florida and need something. There are two major problems with the car:

1. L-type seats are pure anus, I'm 5'11" and in any backrest position that doesn't cause my head to touch the ceiling there is a metal bar digging into my back. Also they're covered in super thick red velour that's completely hellish without air conditioning in 90+ degree heat. I'm trying to find some P-type seats ASAP.

2: It has the wrong kind of transmission:

This isn't really that big of a deal because it's what I drive to work in and my commute is a 40 minute straight line on a constantly jammed highway. I don't think I could have found a manual in this condition for any reasonable price anyway and I already have two reasonably fun cars with the right kind of transmission (the "project" MR2 on jacks in the garage and a beater Protege5).

The car has every option available including a trip computer that gives you live MPG and that great digi-dash, it looks rad at night:

The headlight whiskers and front Toyota badge were missing but I have already replaced them:

The previous owner also at some point had either rear louvers or the other type of spoiler that wrapped around the hatch, then removed it and kinda badly patched the holes, so I have to see about fixing that. I don't care for the wraparound spoiler but my inner mulletman kinda wants to find some old Shadow louvers :v:. It's been raining here and work has been crazy so I haven't had a chance to take good non-phone pictures, maybe I'll do that tomorrow after giving it a wash.

EDIT: Does anyone know of any fun meets in the South Florida area? There doesn't seem to be much good car culture here so I haven't really looked

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 6, 2018

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

d0s posted:

The headlight whiskers

the headlight... whiskers? I googled and unless I misunderstood: of course even 80s cars have fake eyelashes
congrats on your bite sized land barge, love all the excellent 'NOS' Japanese stuff itt. I can't imagine an 80s automatic being very nice to drive but maybe a real clean/well serviced car like yours it's not actually that bad. Daily driving like you do, I see the point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Old Binsby posted:

I can't imagine an 80s automatic being very nice to drive

It actually has a normal and sport mode switch (you can just see it in the first interior pic, the green/red switch on the center console), and in sport mode it's actually pretty fun, though it destroys the MPG. The normal mode is... serviceable