Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
That spear looks loving awesome and I can't wait to see what else comes in. Every content patch sucks in more players. I hope this one is the best yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That spear looks loving awesome and I can't wait to see what else comes in. Every content patch sucks in more players. I hope this one is the best yet.

At this point I'd rather they start adding more environments than weapons.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Playing solo last night, one boss was being banished at catfish, the other at scupper. The scupper dudes were very obviously using an auto mosin. The scupper guys grab their bounty and head directly for catfish. I set up shop in the tall grass by the tree stand south of stillwater. The tier 1 guy runs past me. About 100 meters behind him is the tier 3 with the auto mosin. I shoot him in the back with a Nitro, grab the bounty and leave. God drat I had such a boner.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really, really want the game to tell me when my partner is on fire so I know that they're burning out and I need to shake my rear end.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

:what:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Yeah, Appoh is pretty dang good from the vids I've seen of him on youtube. That's an insane amount of hours he's putting in.

Or do subsequent prestige ranks go quicker or something?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
God willing, this game eventually gets big enough that they put in a proper matchmaking system.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Varkas posted:

Yeah, Appoh is pretty dang good from the vids I've seen of him on youtube. That's an insane amount of hours he's putting in.

Or do subsequent prestige ranks go quicker or something?

I personally feel like the prestige ranks go quicker simply because the gap in skill between someone who hasnt hit 100 yet and someone whos put 80 or 100 hours is pretty fuckin huge.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've gotten killed by Rabble, and be a party to killing Rabble. It was fun watching my plays from a different direction on his past streams.

Every time I see a streamer I recognize grab a bounty, I wanna run at them ( and probably get murdered ).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I prob should ask: when I first buy a hunter, I shouldn't just go right for bounty unless they're rolled high, right? I tried vs Butcher and eventually died.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

widespread posted:

I prob should ask: when I first buy a hunter, I shouldn't just go right for bounty unless they're rolled high, right? I tried vs Butcher and eventually died.

Nah, the bosses are easy once you get the hang of them. You can do them with a 50 dollar Hunter and the basic equipment, no prob. Equipment can make doing them EASIER, sure, but the Spider is the only one that's a real pain in the rear end to do sometimes ( depending on where she spawns ). She's also the hardest to solo.

For the Butcher, the easiest way to deal with him is to shoot him in the head until he takes a knee, then throw a concertina bomb on him. If you're fast, it'll blow up right on him and that'll take away almost all his health. If you can't do this, he's still pretty easy, just keep kiting him, use the explosive barrels when you can, and dodge his wind-up throw.

The Spider is the hardest, especially to solo. This is mostly because her time-to-kill is the highest. Depending on where she spawns, you're almost guaranteed to get interrupted before you kill her. You NEED to go for headshots, basically right between her fangs, to kill her quickly. You need to anticipate her pounce and kite her around, because she can easily pounce you to death if you get unlucky.

You can, however, learn to play with her pathing in the various arenas, and kill her with lanterns + machete hits without firing a shot. She loves to chase and you can use this to sucker her into narrow spaces where you can run straight into her and punch her in the face. Headshots with melee do big damage. gently caress it up and fail to do enough damage fast enough, though, and she will pounce.

I died a lot when I first started fighting the bosses, but you learn. After enough tries, boss fights become less about bosses, and more about anticipating player attacks.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

widespread posted:

Nah. Ideally you still want to go for bounties regardless of your hunter's level, but you may want to revise your loadout and play style as you get more traits.

I'm assuming you mean that you got taken out by other players when you were around the butcher?

When other players are out of the picture, there's nothing that should be stopping you from taking out the bosses with any hunter/loadout--even when solo. Some weapons will just be way faster than others. A simple and relatively quiet/cheap way to take out the butcher is with a single concertina (just get him to path through it several times).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Varkas posted:

I'm assuming you mean that you got taken out by other players when you were around the butcher?

Uh, actually I might have been the first one to the boss. And boss killed me after some back-and-forth kiting without leaving the small arena.

Also didn't help I forgot to pack a shotgun/proper booming things.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

blowing all my dosh before I prestige again so I bought an auto mosin. Its certainly not the be-all-end-all weapon as its such a pain in the rear end to hit anything with it especially while moving but it sure is a good time :getin:

https://streamable.com/9d3q0

https://streamable.com/wuhhb

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 26, 2018

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

blowing all my dosh before I prestige again so I bought an auto mosin. Its certainly not the be-all-end-all weapon as its such a pain in the rear end to hit anything with it especially while moving but it sure is a good time :getin:

https://streamable.com/9d3q0

https://streamable.com/wuhhb

You should really ADS. You get guaranteed kills in 2-4 shot bursts aimed at the crotch out to 50m or so instead of spamming an entire mag to hit someone.

https://streamable.com/q1ogk :blastu:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thinking about checking out this game because it scratches an itch similar to EFT. Reading a lot about the mosin avtomat which is in the posts above. How the hell do you counter a gun like that? Lever actions and slow firing weapons actually sound fun but then going up against that sounds like its impossible to beat based on some of those videos.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
click on basticle's question mark. a lot of the fights he gets into are over before you can even yell that you're taking fire. you could be carrying an m16 and it wouldn't matter in those situations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Skyarb posted:

Thinking about checking out this game because it scratches an itch similar to EFT. Reading a lot about the mosin avtomat which is in the posts above. How the hell do you counter a gun like that? Lever actions and slow firing weapons actually sound fun but then going up against that sounds like its impossible to beat based on some of those videos.

Tbh people love down playing it in this thread but once you get into the greater pool of players -- the better weapons become a problem.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Well #1 is that its so expensive you wont see it that often. Its also worth pointing out that hitting people with any gun is hard and many of my deaths are to melee weapons. Under stress its hard as hell to kill a guy about to tackle you with a machete.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh people love down playing it in this thread but once you get into the greater pool of players -- the better weapons become a problem.

I strongly disagree. A rough estimate of my deaths:

~40%: melee
~40%: A single shot to the head by a Winfield (lever action rifle) at under 25 meters (A version of it is one of the first weapons you have access to and its a 1 hit kill if you can headshot at closer range)
~10%: Caldwell Rival (double barreled shotgun)
~10%: everything else

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 26, 2018

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah I may wait to see how the game develops, there are lots of complaints on forums/reddit about how unfun it is to run up against some of the late game weapons. I don't know what it is but apparently the dolche and avtomat are really OP. Also apparently the crown and king is a semi auto shotgun?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

I don't think there's really a super good counter to the gun, which is part of the reason that its price tag is as high as it is. You have to pretty much play better than the avtomat player by a good margin. Your best chances are to keep your distance and to try and get a good head shot without exposing yourself for very long, or to catch them completely off guard.

$1800 for the gun isn't the biggest deal to me right now when I'm at a surplus of ~$36,000. I think the cost might be more prohibitive if there was also some % of your total money that also was built into the price, but that's getting a bit more complex/confusing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For what it's worth they are working on a better matchmaking system. Part of me is naturally leery because Early Access promises but they haven't hosed it up yet so here's hoping.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I guess I don't see how a high price tag balances it since it seems like you become a neigh unkillable god using it and likely recoup the cost pretty quick anyhow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Orv posted:

For what it's worth they are working on a better matchmaking system. Part of me is naturally leery because Early Access promises but they haven't hosed it up yet so here's hoping.

You'd actually have to add content to gently caress something up. Imo I'd be very surprised if we got another map or enemies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

You'd actually have to add content to gently caress something up. Imo I'd be very surprised if we got another map or enemies.

:rolleyes:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's really not that far of a reach.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's really not that far of a reach.

It's been in public development for less than a year, they've added several guns, several gun variants, quite a few gadgets, a new boss, a new generic enemy type. They've said they will look at more maps and enemy factions when they're satisfied with the Louisiana experience. It's an important thing to get the map right with a game like this, it's not a CoD map.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Orv posted:

It's been in public development for less than a year, they've added several guns, several gun variants, quite a few gadgets, a new boss, a new generic enemy type. They've said they will look at more maps and enemy factions when they're satisfied with the Louisiana experience. It's an important thing to get the map right with a game like this, it's not a CoD map.

Not exactly breakneck development, imo. Reminds me of Conan Exiles.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

I guess I don't see how a high price tag balances it since it seems like you become a neigh unkillable god using it and likely recoup the cost pretty quick anyhow.

Right, which is why I think it would have to have additional cost element to it that's based on your total amount of money or something. I would probably never bother with the gun if I knew it was going to take 50% of my $36,000 or something.

And as it stands now, the hunter I've got with the avtomat has definitely recouped all the cost and then some.

I think some sort of change does need to happen, for sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not exactly breakneck development, imo. Reminds me of Conan Exiles.

I genuinely don't want to make this like a echo chamber kind of thing where only people with positive opinions on the game can post but I think you've made it pretty clear how you feel about the game so I dunno what I could say to ameliorate your concerns or change your mind. :shrug:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Skyarb posted:

one enemy player is worth like 50 bucks and a full bounty plus extraction is worth a couple hundred so you actually have to roll pretty drat hard to break even on that gun

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Coolguye posted:

one enemy player is worth like 50 bucks and a full bounty plus extraction is worth a couple hundred so you actually have to roll pretty drat hard to break even on that gun

Plus aren't the bounties in small areas? Like, I haven't seen this most nugget like gun yet but if its supposed to be a marksman's rifle, it would have a bad time vs Butcher.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Orv posted:

I genuinely don't want to make this like a echo chamber kind of thing where only people with positive opinions on the game can post but I think you've made it pretty clear how you feel about the game so I dunno what I could say to ameliorate your concerns or change your mind. :shrug:

If that's how you feel let me iterate that the core gameplay is very good but I'm ambivalent about later game weapon choices, matchmaking and overall progress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fair enough.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

widespread posted:

Plus aren't the bounties in small areas? Like, I haven't seen this most nugget like gun yet but if its supposed to be a marksman's rifle, it would have a bad time vs Butcher.

The Mosin "Avtomat" melts anything at close range, and is not bad (good?) at longer ranges as well if you single tap. Here's a video of what we're talking about

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
The Avtomat and Dolch have both had spare ammo halved since some of these videos. The Dolch especially was nerfed a lot. With the Avtomat you can carry an Uppercut or Obrez (for long range shots) to get some extra ammo, but with the Dolch the only medium ammo option other than another Dolch is the Vetterli, which isn't a bad gun, but also covers a similar threat range (maybe slightly longer) but fires much slower. I usually use the Dolch with a crossbow or shotgun so am always ammo starved for medium ammo. If you reload once even conserving ammo with bulletcatcher you won't get the 10rd fast clip reload.

When I use the Avtomat I regularly find myself having to retreat to find a caravan or boss arena with ammo crates. You need a lot of crates to refill, and cannot really sustain a single bounty boss arena battle royale 5-way fight unless you kill every target with a 2-shot bursts. Without a large ammo secondary you cannot even reload the entire magazine after expending it. With the 'lesser' guns I almost never run out of ammo in a prolonged fight.

Since the Nitro was nerfed/fixed a patch or so ago, none of the 'high' tier guns have really seemed all that OP. This game has a really high non-shooting skill ceiling and even a potato shot like me can do well by being better in other areas.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 27, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I agree that the game is not perfect and currently has some balance issues.

My biggest gripes:

- Matchmaking sucks and my 2 man squad will get placed into an empty game a not insignificant percentage of the time.
- player movement is so janky that I personally have a really loving hard time hiting targets that are even remotely moving and this leads to everyone in the game sidestepping 100% of the time to keep from getting killed

That said I've put 160 hours into this in the month since I bought it and I can't stop playing :negative:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
There are only four guns that stand out in my mind as true "gently caress dis" guns:

-Avtovat. It's too flexible, too strong. Maybe if it was the only weapon you could take while using it, that would level it out a little more, because it chews through rounds so fast. I don't like it and think that it, like the pre-nerf Nitro, suck and punish new players too greatly.

-Crown King. This thing is, hands-the-gently caress-down, the best gun in the game. The price is insanely low for such a good gun. You could bump it by two hundred dollars and it would still be very viable.

-*Dolch. I put a pin in this one, because it isn't as bad once you grow accustomed to it and figure it out, especially with the ammo nerf. Until you unlock them though, they seem like real terrors. They're a good gun, don't get me wrong, but the ammo count severely limits their utility. With the introduction of more fast-firing options at low tiers ( Nagant Officer, Nagant Carbine ), it has become less of a big deal.

-Fanning chain revolver. The rate of fire on these is bug gently caress, and you get so many rounds. While this could be used by lower-level players to level the playing field ( the perk isn't hard to find on low-cost Hunters and the pistol unlocks early ), it's a seven point perk. Which means if you can't find one of those Hunters, you gotta win a round to use it.

And a lot of new players don't even understand perks, or a lot of other things about the game. Like their speech or text being broadcast, or how to tell if a clue has been disturbed. Some people are bad at figuring out how to balance their game currency, or stumble harder than others, and get real frustrated real fast dealing with prestige level 40 players Dolching them to death.

Once you learn how, you can learn how to overcome better equipment, but while you're learning, it feels bad man. And I'm sure a lot of people just get pissed and quit because the game does a bad job of teaching.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't actually run into the Avtomat too much yet but yeah, having the automatic weapon also be a two-hit gun is pretty ridiculous. Dolch has been my bane though, again, it has so many other benefits to it as well as being ridiculously damaging. Can't say the Fanning Chainpistol is too bad though, since you can't ADS while fanning meaning it's always inaccurate as hell, each bullet is weak, and it takes a year to reload. Plus, of course, it requires a pricey perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Fanning chain pistols is hilarious. I don't think its broken because of how innacurate it is. At the range it becomes useful a shotgun probably would have done a better job. Though this is all based on videos I have watched.

gently caress it I'll buy this weird game.