Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cassie Cage is a cool design the likes of which you're hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Reiley posted:

MKX has legit good female fighting game char designs, many of them actually wear pants.

I was and still am actually pretty happy about this too, it's almost astounding how far NRS came on lady design in only a handful of games, they even made Sonya who up to this point was lookin pretty gross look badass, Cassie has a real good design, Jacqui could do with like something to make her a little more standout but also has a good design, Kitana's still got some "sultry ninja" outfit goin on but it's a huge step up from anything else she's had, Mileena got a cool design, just drat man, MKX was a crazy turn-around in a very good direction.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 27, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiley posted:

Tune into your favorite fighting game and ask yourself, how many women in this game actually wear real pairs of pants with good, practical footwear? If you're not a KOF player, the answer may surprise you.
melty blood lit. has a woman whos just wearing a t-shirt and jeans

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

Cassie Cage is a cool design the likes of which you're hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

Isn't she just a cop

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Isn't she just a cop

She's also a really big shithead.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I'm just gonna get out ahead of this and say MK as a series is criminally fugly and I will never care about the games so I can't really argue in good faith anyway. I play 45 minutes of MKX bc it came out the same day I got my new fightstick and I just bought everything I could for the system and I was astounded at how it had worse animation than the SNES games I played 20 years prior.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sonya Blade is weird because before they went 3D, she generally had a good design. She got pants, she wore a top and generally her story wasn't centered around Johnny Cage making bad passes at her constantly and the player switching between beating up Johnny Cage to prove she's a strong woman and then playing as Johnny Cage to white knight her against Kano.

In Training posted:

Everybody in UNIST and melty blood are just wearing hoodie + jeans or are dressed for school which may be a skirt which seems fine

Skirts are fine people wear skirts.

In Training posted:

Isn't she just a cop

She's wearing one of those tactical catsuits with the harnesses and pouches everywhere.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Cassie will always be a fave because this is spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGvwvvxUys

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reiley posted:

MKX has legit good female fighting game char designs, many of them actually wear pants.

Most of them are also boring as sin excepting like Cassie

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
i dont see anything wrong with fantasy clothing being completely impractical. i dont need realism in my fg to enjoy it and will continue to support guilty gear designs with 15+ belts per character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the animations in the mortal kombat/dc games are terrible. superman looks like hes trying to get a shirt with twisted sleeves off when he punches

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also v. good improvements on their women aside, MKX gave me Takeda and I'm gonna bitch at Ed Boon on twitter forever if they don't bring my man back for MKXI or MK11 whichever.

Captain Baal posted:

Most of them are also boring as sin excepting like Cassie

:disagreed:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

i dont see anything wrong with fantasy clothing being completely impractical. i dont need realism in my fg to enjoy it and will continue to support guilty gear designs with 15+ belts per character
also yeah its weird that people focus on 'realism' when it comes to criticizing female character designs and not 'this character was clearly made to be sexy in a way that is too exaggerated to be appealing and doesnt fit her personality'

like rachel is an unrealistic design because good lord those platforms but shes a great design. morrigan's a good design because shes sexy but shes a freaking succubus. dizzy is kind of a bad design because the weird leather outfit doesnt really suit her.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

also yeah its weird that people focus on 'realism' when it comes to criticizing female character designs and not 'this character was clearly made to be sexy in a way that is too exaggerated to be appealing and doesnt fit her personality'

like rachel is an unrealistic design because good lord those platforms but shes a great design. morrigan's a good design because shes sexy but shes a freaking succubus. dizzy is kind of a bad design because the weird leather outfit doesnt really suit her.

I'm sorry if it came across that 'realism' was the goal, because you're absolutely right. There was the conversation earlier about how Mai from KoF is a pretty great character and she's got a ninja loincloth thing going on as well. One of the things I think MK really falls on it's face with is that out of the six characters that I've seen in MK9's story mode (7, maybe? Not sure if the bandage clone was specifically Mileena or not) three (four) of them are the exact same design. Even the male ninjas at this point all have unique design points to them that go beyond having darker skin / having her mouth (normally hidden) full of spiky teeth / the lighter skin one.

A lot of DoA characters are gross in the same way where they all share the same body model and face which is just creepy, but even in that game there's some good designs and costume choices.

Guilty Gear is pretty good all around. Samurai Showdown too is pretty good in general.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

It's funny how even the game kinda admits that Dizzy's outfit doesn't make much sense for her by having her appear wearing literally anything else in cutscenes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Also v. good improvements on their women aside, MKX gave me Takeda and I'm gonna bitch at Ed Boon on twitter forever if they don't bring my man back for MKXI or MK11 whichever.

Ya, Takeda was good poo poo.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

All the female faces in DOA look like 95% the same its creepy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

Everybody in UNIST and melty blood are just wearing hoodie + jeans or are dressed for school which may be a skirt which seems fine

I want a bartender gordeau alt outfit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've always liked Arcueid's design, just a turtleneck sweater and long skirt.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Natural 20 posted:

Cassie will always be a fave because this is spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGvwvvxUys

Plus her ending is just her killing the most hated character in the series.

I mean, I guess Shujinko is more hated than Mokap.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

It's good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Potsticker posted:

Sonya Blade is weird because before they went 3D, she generally had a good design. She got pants, she wore a top and generally her story wasn't centered around Johnny Cage making bad passes at her constantly and the player switching between beating up Johnny Cage to prove she's a strong woman and then playing as Johnny Cage to white knight her against Kano.

All of the female MK costumes got way worse as the series went on because in MK1 through Ultimate a human had to be able to both wear the outfit and actually perform the poses and some of the moves. MKX was a massive improvement on that across the board.

I think I was the one who made the Mai Shiranui effort post someone brought up, but yeah whenever I have a problem with a female character's outfit it's not because I think unrealistic/skimpy clothing = bad it's because the look doesn't match the rest of how the character rolls. That's why King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown are untouchable with regard to their character designs. There's quite a few characters from both that I hate, but every single one of them is on point.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Melty Blood has top tier casualwear representants and the sole example, as far as I'm aware, of DICK CLEAVAGE.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dias posted:

Melty Blood has top tier casualwear representants and the sole example, as far as I'm aware, of DICK CLEAVAGE.

Do Oro's dangly bits count or is that just full on dick

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

All of the female MK costumes got way worse as the series went on because in MK1 through Ultimate a human had to be able to both wear the outfit and actually perform the poses and some of the moves. MKX was a massive improvement on that across the board.

This is a really good point. And I think it applies not just to the female costumes, too. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking, but I do think the BMX armor robots look better than their later designs. It also made them pretty visually distinctive as compared to generic robots in any other media.

chumbler posted:

It's a great design for sure.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestonJew posted:

That's just dick.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Endorph posted:

the animations in the mortal kombat/dc games are terrible. superman looks like hes trying to get a shirt with twisted sleeves off when he punches

It gets worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QL_lO8CUtw

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

That dude's droning voice over things that I don't think I ever noticed or really cared about in normal gameplay is killing me.

Like the dude's griping they don't use any of the after-image stuff to sell an effect on one thing, then gripes the very next bit about a move that is using the after-image stuff to sell an effect.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know about specifics but he's right that it looks like poo poo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those punches that Atom does where he swings his arms at like torso level have to be some of the worst poo poo I've ever seen conveyed in a fighter

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The first time I saw Atom's crouch "animation" I laughed for about 10 minutes straight.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the Atom crouch animation where he shrinks?

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lmfao. i have never seen this character before this

incredible

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mycot posted:

It's funny how even the game kinda admits that Dizzy's outfit doesn't make much sense for her by having her appear wearing literally anything else in cutscenes.

Here's my take on why dizzy dresses like that

Who had the most interaction with dizzy as she was growing up and probably taught her how to dress

testament

But now dizzy hangs out with ky all the time and has ladies in waiting and stuff so she gets dressed by palace staff

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 27, 2018

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Yardbomb posted:

That dude's droning voice over things that I don't think I ever noticed or really cared about in normal gameplay is killing me.

Like the dude's griping they don't use any of the after-image stuff to sell an effect on one thing, then gripes the very next bit about a move that is using the after-image stuff to sell an effect.

he's right though

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CharlestonJew posted:

hello you called

<--

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

check around 3:24 in that video for a special surprise

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CharlestonJew posted:

check around 3:24 in that video for a special surprise

Endorph posted:

The best thing about the Injustice 2 animation is that it's still waaaaaaaay better than Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. They just, like, mapped Scorpion's Deadly Alliance-era idle and pre/post-fight stance stuff to a Batman character model and it was like, what? But going by 3D MK games and Injustice 2 I guess it would make sense that combining MK and DC together would give you the worst animations ever.

Potsticker posted:

This is a really good point. And I think it applies not just to the female costumes, too. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking, but I do think the BMX armor robots look better than their later designs. It also made them pretty visually distinctive as compared to generic robots in any other media.

It's a great design for sure.

I don't think it is just nostalgia. I mean MK has its roots in Enter the Dragon, Big Trouble in Little China, and a billion Godfrey Ho movies, so the ultra low budget secret ninja society look is dead on perfect. :D But I liked that we got to see human Cyrax and Sektor and that their names as humans are still Cyrax and Sektor.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 27, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NRS fixed the faces when people really got at them about those so my hope is they'll finally fire the 60yo dude in the mocap suit and update their animation for whatever's coming next. They broke their usual two-year cycle, maybe that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NRS fixed the faces when people really got at them about those so my hope is they'll finally fire the 60yo dude in the mocap suit and update their animation for whatever's coming next. They broke their usual two-year cycle, maybe that's why.

yeah as much as I liked MKX/IJ2, the fact that a majority of the animations don't make sense is off-putting. Way too many characters who punch as though they are reaching over a fence. There's no movement or torque on their actions so many combos look weird as gently caress if the character isn't floating/flying.

Atom's "duck animation" though is loving hilarious and I'm glad they made that decision.